Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 118, Bulls 110
I prefered the way Barea was used prior to Christmas and the KP + THJ injuries. Only bring him of the bench if the team really strurggles on offense.
Mavs are basically playing 4 vs 5 on defense with him on the floor so he needs to have a perfect game on offense to make up for it.
Considering the defensive struggles the Mavs are having without KP they cannot afford to have another defensive liablity on the floor.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1214684562686697472
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 09:36 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Mavs Bounce Back Against Bulls

The Mavericks looked like a different team from their last game. They took care of business against the fifth-rated defensive team in the NBA.  

Game Story

….. 

Barea (15 min) had a horrible stat line, taking only two shots and dishing only one assist, to go with 5 turnovers. I think this probably is a little harsh, in terms of reflecting his overall contribution to the game. He did keep the offense relatively organized in limited minutes, and was not always in a position to succeed. He took the place of Porzingis in the Mavs' "usual" starting lineup, resulting in a very small and defensively challenged five. 

….. 

Hang in there, MFFLs!

Similar to what I've said about Boban, Barea is a specific pinch hitter player type, always has been.  
He can be extremely effective, even at this late stage of his career, but its all about how he's used. 
in fact any player Barea's size needs some cover on defense.  He didn't get it. 

That said, he also just had a bad stretch of play, which is true of any player.
Even the Luka the Wunderkid has bad stretches we still  Heart  him.
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 11:28 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: Not sure we are a good defensive team with KP. Among all above .500 teams, we rank dead last in Adjusted Defensive Rating. We don't force turnovers (28th in the league), we don't steal (28th) and we don't block enough (20th). Also, our Defensive Rebound % (18th) should be better if we want to contend, fixing that should fix our Opponent Offensive Rebounding (26th).
I have a concern about this, too. The Mavs are certainly a better defensive team with KP, but they still have room to improve. I think the team will continue to make progress in getting it together. But I don't know what this roster's defensive ceiling is. There are some guys who can play good defense, skill-wise, but except for a couple of positions, they're pretty undersized. Guess we'll continue to monitor the situation.
Like Reply