Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 118, Bulls 110
Mavs Bounce Back Against Bulls

The Mavericks looked like a different team from their last game. They took care of business against the fifth-rated defensive team in the NBA.  

Game Story

Hardaway returned from his hamstring injury. KP and Broekhoff were still out. 

Carlisle reportedly hammered home to his team the importance of getting off to a good start. They rewarded him, jumping out to an 8-0 lead with a starting lineup of Barea-Doncic-THJ-DFS-Powell. Hardaway might have been excused for coming in a little cold after three games out, but he was blazing, going 5-5 from the field for a 14-point first quarter. The Bulls came back to tie the game, but the Mavs resurged, and ended the frame at 33-27.

Dallas got a little sloppy in the second period, and the Bulls took advantage. The Mavs managed to pull out a 28-28 quarter, behind 12 points from Dwight Powell. The third was similarly insipid, until Luka took over and blasted Chicago with 21 points, the second most in a quarter of his NBA career. He leaped and rollicked his way up and down the court, laughing with joy. His teammates, however, combined for six points, and the Bulls matched the Mavs' 27 points. 

The Mavericks decided to get serious about defending in the fourth, the bench extended the lead, and the Mavs ended the quarter with balanced scoring, led by Jackson with 9. 

Analytics

Chicago put up 14 more shots than Dallas, although the Mavs had 10 more 3PTAs. Dallas shot well, hitting 16 of their 41 threes (39%), and also scoring well inside the arc. They also earned 8 more FTAs than their opponent. At the end of the day, they were +21 on points from threes, +5 on made free throws, and -18 on points from twos. The Bulls stayed close for most of the game on the basis of 17 offensive rebounds, 21 points off Mavs turnovers, 27 fast-break points, and an incredible 72 points in the paint. Needless to say, the Mavs' defense was pretty much nonexistent, and rebounding left something to be desired. In the end, they managed to outscore a relatively weak offensive adversary. 

Players

Luka (34 min) had an incredible night, with his 11th triple-double of the season, on a 38-11-10 line. If he hadn't completely gone off in the third, the game result could well have been different. His delight was infectious, and the crowd got into it when he put on a fireworks show. He had any number of impressive plays, and one of the most fun was when he got on the roll end of an alley oop, with Barea lobbing to him. Carlisle claimed to be most impressed with Luka's demeanor, disposition, and poise. Rick observed that Doncic got banged around continually, but kept his composure, and addressed the refs in a logical and analytical manner at appropriate times. Carlisle says he doesn't coach through the media -- don't you believe it, lol. Cedric also complimented Luka for taking over the game while staying within the offense (rather than resorting to hero ball). A sensational show by the young star. 

Powell (30 min) had an excellent offensive night. He was the team's second-leading scorer with 16 points, and was perfect from the floor (6-6 from the field, 4-4 from the line). He became one of only six players in the league to have had multiple perfect shooting performances this season (min 6 attempts); one of the others is his teammate, Jalen Brunson. He frequently played as the sole big against the Bulls' front court, and he was somewhat out of his element on the defensive end. This wasn't always his fault, or only his fault. The rotations were often sloppy, and left him in a bad situation. And he is undersized to begin with. But without KP, neither he nor Maxi was able to hold his own at that end of the court. Fortunately, Powell was able to contribute well offensively. 

THJ (22 min) was blistering in the first quarter, with 14 points. Not all of those were catch-and-shoots, either. He put the ball on the deck, and had an exciting transition basket. He ended up with 15 in the game, with his other point scored on a technical free throw taken while Luka was on the court. He faded a little after the first, and didn't play in the fourth. Rick commented on how much the squad has missed Tim's energy, attitude, two-way play, shotmaking, playmaking, and versatile defense. He added that Tim was never intended to play a full complement of minutes, and that the bench's good performance late saved him from having to put Hardaway back in the game. Harp said several times how much he thought THJ had benefited from the rest afforded him by his time off, and perhaps that was indeed significant. 

Barea (15 min) had a horrible stat line, taking only two shots and dishing only one assist, to go with 5 turnovers. I think this probably is a little harsh, in terms of reflecting his overall contribution to the game. He did keep the offense relatively organized in limited minutes, and was not always in a position to succeed. He took the place of Porzingis in the Mavs' "usual" starting lineup, resulting in a very small and defensively challenged five. 

Bench. The second unit didn't have their usual punch, scoring 36 points, but did yeoman service to start the fourth, pulling away from the Bulls for a commanding lead. Maxi (27 min) didn't have an impressive stat line, and was a little too undersized to counter Chicago's bigs, but still did a lot of things right. Wright (25 min) ran the offense, even when Luka was on the floor with him, and had two timely threes, along with a snazzy finish on a drive in the fourth. Delon has said that he isn't all that athletic, so he has worked hard on a variety of finishes. Jackson (15 min) was the only bench player in double figures, with 11 points. 

Remarks

There were a couple of unusual aspects to this game. 

At one point, there was the weirdest sequence. Gafford, one of the Bulls, went down and appeared to be writhing on the floor in agony. Luka drove past him and scored, and then his teammates circled around him. Satoransky motioned to the trainer to come on, but nothing, the Bulls coaches ignored it. The head coach tried to sub another player on without calling a timeout, which was, of course, not allowed. His teammates pulled him to his feet, and he literally limped through another possession. Ultimately, the Mavs fouled him, and he went off. Wth? I'm still scratching my head. 

A number of Mavericks got in on the alley oop game, featuring LD-DFS, JJB-LD, and SC-JJ, among others. Flashy!

Carlisle described the match as a tough, physical game, and praised his team for playing aggressively and with poise. He reminded the audience that he is still working with rotations. Some of the other guys are being asked to step up with the injury absences, and that has been challenging, but he has found out some things about those players, and they will continue to adjust, as warranted. 

My impressions. I never like to be negative after a win, but I don't know exactly how overjoyed I am at this one. The important thing is that the team came out with a W, and Luka certainly put together a breathtaking show. They got a dependable scorer back in Hardaway, who looked good, at least for a while. But the defense was truly appalling, the team appeared lacking in energy for much of the contest, and this was essentially another game that depended on an out-of-this-world rescue by Luka to pull out the W. 

Luka did it in the "right" way, rather than by chucking bad shots, and that was encouraging. However, the Bulls had a red carpet to the basket, with the Mavs' giving up a record-high number of points in the paint for the season. The contest, at best, highlighted KP's importance to the team, which sorely missed his rim protection and rebounding. With Luka's help, they managed to outscore a weak offensive opponent, but one has to wonder how they would have fared against, for example, Denver (their next match). Porzee cannot get back soon enough. 

Still, it's in the win column, and that's the main thing. 

Next. Nuggets, at the AAC on Wednesday. 

Hang in there, MFFLs!
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 09:36 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: The contest, at best, highlighted KP's importance to the team, which sorely missed his rim protection and rebounding. With Luka's help, they managed to outscore a weak offensive opponent, but one has to wonder how they would have fared against, for example, Denver (their next match). Porzee cannot get back soon enough. 

Enjoyed your analysis, as always. 

People wondering what is wrong with the Mavs the past few games seem to be missing this point. 

KP may be a work in progress on the offensive end, but on the other end he is our anchor. With KP patrolling the paint and defending the rim, we are a pretty good defensive team. 

With him in the middle and us playing zone, we can shut most teams down for stretches. 

Without KP, we are a bad defensive team. Even though we have a couple of very good defenders in DFS and Maxi, it's just not enough to make up for the shortcomings of our weaker defenders. 

We need KP back. Let's hope he's going to be healthy most of the year, and especially for the playoffs. And let's hope he's not going to suffer knee issues his entire career.
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 09:36 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Barea (15 min) had a horrible stat line, taking only two shots and dishing only one assist, to go with 5 turnovers. I think this probably is a little harsh, in terms of reflecting his overall contribution to the game. He did keep the offense relatively organized in limited minutes, and was not always in a position to succeed. He took the place of Porzingis in the Mavs' "usual" starting lineup, resulting in a very small and defensively challenged five. 

Two things:

1) He was as bad as his stat line last night. Yes, he did do some positive things, but overall was a huge negative (his +2 was only because everyone else around him was able to offset his struggles).

2) I do not like RC going to JJB so much recently. I thought he was using him really well early in the season. But starting him and using him so heavily the last three games is not good for the team overall in my opinion. They need to not become JJB dependent. He needs to be a "maybe" spark off the bench in the playoffs and nothing more.
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 09:36 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: But without KP, neither he nor Maxi was able to hold his own at that end of the court.

Great recap, thanks. Only regarding this part, I don't think you can put it on Maxi and Powell. Most of the time one of them was the only big on the court. As they are switching a lot, they were often left on a guard/wing at three point line. This left the paint wide open as next biggest Mav was like 6-7 or something. In order to restore the order in paint, they would have to leave the guard they switched on wide open, which of course is not an option. And yes, we desperately need KP back. Or any big actually, to help the lone two we are using with KP out. If we have two bigs on the court at same time, one of them can be in the paint.
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 10:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote: 2) I do not like RC going to JJB so much recently. I thought he was using him really well early in the season. But starting him and using him so heavily the last three games is not good for the team overall in my opinion. They need to not become JJB dependent. He needs to be a "maybe" spark off the bench in the playoffs and nothing more.

I think (I really hope) that RC pressed Barea into duty because we were down two starters  and one of them,  (THJ) was a huge contributor on offense. 

I really think that we will see less of JJB now that THJ is starting to get healthy.
Like Reply
Not sure we are a good defensive team with KP. Among all above .500 teams, we rank dead last in Adjusted Defensive Rating. We don't force turnovers (28th in the league), we don't steal (28th) and we don't block enough (20th). Also, our Defensive Rebound % (18th) should be better if we want to contend, fixing that should fix our Opponent Offensive Rebounding (26th).
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 10:59 AM)omahen Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 09:36 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: But without KP, neither he nor Maxi was able to hold his own at that end of the court.

Great recap, thanks. Only regarding this part, I don't think you can put it on Maxi and Powell. Most of the time one of them was the only big on the court. As they are switching a lot, they were often left on a guard/wing at three point line. This left the paint wide open as next biggest Mav was like 6-7 or something. In order to restore the order in paint, they would have to leave the guard they switched on wide open, which of course is not an option. And yes, we desperately need KP back. Or any big actually, to help the lone two we are using with KP out. If we have two bigs on the court at same time, one of them can be in the paint.
Thanks, omahen. 

Good points. Maybe I didn't phrase it well enough, but I wasn't suggesting that the Bulls' parade to the paint was solely due to Maxi and Powell. More trying to emphasize KP's importance. Maxi and DP, useful as they are, can't do what KP does. Due to KP's individual offensive struggles, I think we don't always appreciate just how critical he is defensively. Or, for that matter, his importance in allowing Powell and Maxi to do what they do on the offensive end. (Not suggesting that you personally are guilty of that -- I myself have not always given KP due credit for his irreplaceable role on the roster.)

Like the observations.
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 10:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 09:36 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Barea (15 min) had a horrible stat line, taking only two shots and dishing only one assist, to go with 5 turnovers. I think this probably is a little harsh, in terms of reflecting his overall contribution to the game. He did keep the offense relatively organized in limited minutes, and was not always in a position to succeed. He took the place of Porzingis in the Mavs' "usual" starting lineup, resulting in a very small and defensively challenged five. 

Two things:

1) He was as bad as his stat line last night. Yes, he did do some positive things, but overall was a huge negative (his +2 was only because everyone else around him was able to offset his struggles).

2) I do not like RC going to JJB so much recently. I thought he was using him really well early in the season. But starting him and using him so heavily the last three games is not good for the team overall in my opinion. They need to not become JJB dependent. He needs to be a "maybe" spark off the bench in the playoffs and nothing more.
Well, I think the problem was that the offense was, for a few games, devolving into chucking too many ill advised three pointers.  Last night's game notwithstanding, Barea does know how to run offense, as demonstrated in a couple games prior to last night.  IMO, Rick may be using Barea as sort of a "clinic" for the other guards as to how you deal with aggressive defenses.  I feel like Wright, in particular, did look better last night, in terms of his decision making.
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 12:11 PM)mtrot Wrote: IMO, Rick may be using Barea as sort of a "clinic" for the other guards as to how you deal with aggressive defenses.

So teaching them how to have 1 assist and 5 turnovers (including a couple "catastrophic" turnovers that lead directly to a bucket for the other team)?
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 10:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote:

Two things:

I really don´t get it. He isn´t using Boban because he is a defensive liability but happily plays JJB who is even worse on defense. Wright and Brunson made some big time plays on defense in the 4th quarter.
Mavs had the league leading offense without JJB and inserting him into the lineup has made it worse. We don´t need someone that takes the ball away from Luka in the first 3 quarters. We need someone next to him that is able to create his own shot in half court offense to close out games.
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 12:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 12:11 PM)mtrot Wrote: IMO, Rick may be using Barea as sort of a "clinic" for the other guards as to how you deal with aggressive defenses.

So teaching them how to have 1 assist and 5 turnovers (including a couple "catastrophic" turnovers that lead directly to a bucket for the other team)?
I guess you missed the part of my post, or you intentionally clipped it out, where I said, "last night's game notwithstanding".  I'm looking at the last three games, overall.  And I stand by my opinion that Barea does know how to run offense.  I can't believe somebody here would try to base a negative opinion of a player on a bad stretch in one game!
Like Reply
Watching the games without KP I could not agree more that him just being out there deters a lot of those drives. He alone commands respect from the other teams drive to the hole players. His presence contributes greatly to the rest of our players getting rebounds. The last few games have really showed me just how valuable KP already is. We look bad defensively without him.

Even offensively, though he often does not look all that great on offense, I found it very noteworthy that he is the top beneficiary of Luka assists. He gives Luka a good option which results in less Luka dependency. With mostly Luka, we look only a little better than last year. With KP out there, all of our other guys find more openings on offense as well. 

Re KP offense: I would love to see him work on getting his shots off the boards similar to Tim Duncan. So many times, he ends up with the ball on either side of the basket and his shots seem to be in-between straight to the basket and off the boards. He could become much more efficient using the back board and committing to it. Several of our current guys already do a lot of back board shooting so I foresee this happening for KP as well. 

As for Barea, I think is primary role is keep Luka from being exhausted in the 4th quarter, which this team absolutely needs to do. When JJ runs a play or brings the ball up (which others already contribute to), it allows Luka to just hang out and be available. He still often ends up with the ball but I think letting Luka have some easier time on the floor is the main objective. Others have had good thoughts on Barea's role but I have no problem at all with him being on the floor. When JJ gets his rhythm going, he could resume his role as one of our best players even though his best role will remain spot duty/ change of pace guard.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
Sefko reports that KP is out for Denver tomorrow with an illness. Yikes.
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 12:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I really don´t get it. He isn´t using Boban because he is a defensive liability but happily plays JJB who is even worse on defense. Wright and Brunson made some big time plays on defense in the 4th quarter.
Mavs had the league leading offense without JJB and inserting him into the lineup has made it worse. We don´t need someone that takes the ball away from Luka in the first 3 quarters. We need someone next to him that is able to create his own shot in half court offense to close out games.

Just cannot "AMEN" this enough.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 02:30 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Sefko reports that KP is out for Denver tomorrow with an illness. Yikes.

Ah, that's a loss. In both respects.
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 12:51 PM)mtrot Wrote:

I guess you missed the part of my post, or you intentionally clipped it out, where I said, "last night's game notwithstanding".  I'm looking at the last three games, overall.  And I stand by my opinion that Barea does know how to run offense.  I can't believe somebody here would try to base a negative opinion of a player on a bad stretch in one game!
Kamm likes to have a whipping boy. Considering his other redeeming qualities, I have come to think we might as well just humor him on this.
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 04:10 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:

Kamm likes to have a whipping boy. Considering his other redeeming qualities, I have come to think we might as well just humor him on this.
Lol, well, I have to confess, I'm not very good, at all, at being a whipping boy! Cool
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 04:53 PM)mtrot Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 04:10 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:

Lol, well, I have to confess, I'm not very good, at all, at being a whipping boy! Cool
I meant Barea, who may be replacing Shawn Marion in that role. Will wait with baited breath for further developments!
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 05:27 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I meant Barea, who may be replacing Shawn Marion in that role.

If you search my post history on this forum you will see that most of my posts about Barea are positive. I think he absolutely made a legit, positive NBA player out of himself, especially in his second stint in DAL. I just think he was THAT bad last night and I also think this current team needs to make sure they do not become "Barea reliant" because that will stunt their growth IMO. I think RC was using him perfectly until the last few games. I also think Barea has played REALLY well in that limited role off the bench.
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 05:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 05:27 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I meant Barea, who may be replacing Shawn Marion in that role.

If you search my post history on this forum you will see that most of my posts about Barea are positive. I think he absolutely made a legit, positive NBA player out of himself, especially in his second stint in DAL. I just think he was THAT bad last night and I also think this current team needs to make sure they do not become "Barea reliant" because that will stunt their growth IMO. I think RC was using him perfectly until the last few games. I also think Barea has played REALLY well in that limited role off the bench.
Relax, buddy. Everything's fine. We got your back here.
Like Reply