Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 4 Playoffs 2024: Los Angeles Clippers (1-2) vs Dallas Mavericks (2-1)
(04-28-2024, 05:17 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Worst game I can recall Luka ever having. Extremely disappointing.

...with a triple double and the team's highest +/-.
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 05:23 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Also Luka needs to stop shooting threes. We should just relentless attack the paint.

Well, that's sort of the problem when none of the off-ball guys are shooters. Not much paint to attack. 

The offense, in general, is a problem.
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 05:49 PM)myconsumerclub Wrote: Luka was hurt and with 3 days rest I sure hope we see a better game out of him on Wednesday.

If Green Exum Washington would all show signs of becoming more capable scores that can take control for short spots to try and get us some points so the 2 stars can rest a bit that would help.

DJJ played a great game.

Green and Exum 0 for 5 hurt they need to realize they are low minute guys and they need to be hot when they come in and so they need to shoot more pregame shots so they are on their A game faster and super confident as they enter a game. They may play 10 to 15 minutes if that so they do not need to save their energy and they should be working out and playing when off the court against each other and holding each other accountable for being ready to enter that game ready to play and score as well as defend so they need to get their juices flowing somehow someway so they are not so cold when they walk out on that floor in a game.

If Gafford cannot contribute exept on the defensive end might as well see Kleber get more 3 point attempts and play more minutes he is not afraid to shoot when called on and he hits that 3 a lot more often than other guys who shoot it so maybe we start Lively but bring Kleber off that bench before Gaff. I trust Kleber gets us points with his stretching the defense on offene he is great for spacing. Gafford

Lively was a stud, 8 points 6 boards in only 17 mins so needs to play more minutes with 30 minutes he might get a 20 -10
given how hurt he was Luka was 29 points we needed.
Kyrie starred and carried us with 40

Harden was unstoppable in the late last minutes of the game and nobody could keep him out of the paint for easy layups and floaters. Maybe a hard foul like they tried on Luka would have been smart to try. We got a Morris brother on the team don't we.

The players need to hold Kidd accountable for failing to play Lively more.
Like Reply
Best DJJ game as a Maverick, maybe. Too bad they wasted it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Luka77
Like Reply
I still like the Mavs in this series, as long as Luka is healthy.

When your team wins in the playoffs, you feel like they'll never lose again.
When your team loses in the playoffs, you feel like they'll never win again.

The reality is that this was about the worst possible game they could've played and they were leading with under three minutes to go. I'm still hopeful about the series.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 05:47 PM)Luka77 Wrote: Mavs still need another ball handler and scorer.  They depended on Luka and Kyrie way too much.

And Kidd needs to be replaced, he is not it.  His rotations and feel for who needs minutes in the crucial moments is questionable at best. 

Lively was hustling playing great and he takes him out of the game bc he had predetermined to go to the small ball lineup late when down.

Also not having the team ready to play is also glaring.

This is it. Kidd does adjustments based on what he thinks should work, he doesn't respond to the game as it actually is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I didn't have a problem with Lively not finishing. Right or wrong, I'd have probably gone the same way. Kleber has played really well during this series, even being one of the few to hit his shots.

I DO have a problem with riding Gafford against Zubac, whether it's working or not. Lively should be playing more than him in this series, I believe.
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
Not sure if I have the stomach to watch the rest of the series. Losing to the Clippers for a third time would be rough to say the least.

They’ll need to make some changes:

- Gafford HAS to loose his starting role and quite frankly should get DNPs for the rest of the series Imo

- Use Kleber as the five out option off the bench, let Lively cook

- They need to have an honest conversation with Luka about what the hell is wrong with him and if necessary make the decision to sit him. He’s been single handily loosing them multiple games and is an absolute shell of himself right now.

- They need somebody outside of Kyrie to finally show up offensively on a consistent basis. I don’t know what guys like Exum think they’re contributing but it’s not enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway912's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 05:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I still like the Mavs in this series, as long as Luka is healthy.

When your team wins in the playoffs, you feel like they'll never lose again.
When your team loses in the playoffs, you feel like they'll never win again.

The reality is that this was about the worst possible game they could've played and they were leading with under three minutes to go. I'm still hopeful about the series.

Problem is they've managed to have 2 of the worst possible games they could've played in 4 games. How many worst possible games can you have before it's just who your team is?
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 05:37 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Clips shot 62% from three. Ain’t gonna happen again.

Mavs shot 33% on threes and almost won anyway.

Luka shot 9-15 on two-point shots, but 1-9 on threes. And he couldn’t keep Harden in front of him. Of course, neither could PJ. 

I almost wish they’d given Harden more looks at threes, but kept him out of the paint. But when a team is hitting 62% on threes, I can understand the decision.

That is important to remember.  That was an absurd shooting performer by the clippers.  Both good looks and incredibly tough shots.  Powell had one at the end of the first.  George had two ridiculous ones.
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 05:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Best DJJ game as a Maverick, maybe. Too bad they wasted it.

Yeah, when he makes shots, he turns up on D. Thing is, he's not consistent like Green and Exum who must be on a milk carton somewhere.
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 05:57 PM)Branduil Wrote: Problem is they've managed to have 2 of the worst possible games they could've played in 4 games. How many worst possible games can you have before it's just who your team is?

I mean...the Clippers are VERY good. We get that, right?

If I'd have told you beforehand that Luka was going to play like this through 4 games, wouldn't you have taken 2-2 gladly?
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 05:57 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: That is important to remember.  That was an absurd shooting performer by the clippers.  Both good looks and incredibly tough shots.  Powell had one at the end of the first.  George had two ridiculous ones.

That’s just the NBA. They have multiple guys who will make the HOF, Powell is a perennial 6MOTY guy, and they have strong role players like Zubac and Mann who are working their butts off. 

It’s not all luck / fluke BS. Kyrie went crazy too for us, that’s what the postseason is all about. Intensity picks up, guys crumble under the pressure. It’s the guys with the big names and the $30+M contracts who need to do their job. Kyrie did.
[-] The following 2 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft
Like Reply
So sad Mavs lost. Tough blow. They played good defense but Clippers hit some really tough shots. Far from Mavs not being ready to play, Clippers just hit everything in the first half.

I don't understand all the Luka hate here. His shots are not falling, but Mavs has been +10 in his almost 45 minutes on the floor, which means they were -15 in 3 minutes he didn't play!!! While he doesn't look stellar, Mavs are way better with him on the floor.

The one decision I didn't like was at the start of the fourth, where Kidd went super big with Maxi, PJ and Lively while Luka and Kyrie were guarding two best Clippers offensive players on the floor (Harden and Powell).

I think officiating was really bad. Lots of missed calls on both sides, but I think it they had inconsistent criteria. As several slow replays showed, Mann was getting away with a lot against Luka and Kyrie while similar touches on Clippers were called. I think Luka was right getting angry.

Edit: another note. I think Maxi was way too deep in the paint against those Harden drives late in the fourth
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 06:04 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: That’s just the NBA. They have multiple guys who will make the HOF, Powell is a perennial 6MOTY guy, and they have strong role players like Zubac and Mann who are working their butts off. 

It’s not all luck / fluke BS. Kyrie went crazy too for us, that’s what the postseason is all about. Intensity picks up, guys crumble under the pressure. It’s the guys with the big names and the $30+M contracts who need to do their job. Kyrie did.

And, to your point, it's reasonable to have expected this type of game from PG and Harden at some point, too. 

Honestly, them BOTH going off and Luka playing so poorly means this victory might not be the game changer for the Clippers it might appear to be.
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 06:06 PM)omahen Wrote: I don't understand all the Luka hate here.

No hate here, but I'm genuinely worried about his health after watching him become a traffic cone on defense in the 4th. He had been defending pretty well in this series until today. The 4th was maybe the worst defense I've ever seen him play.
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 05:57 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: - They need to have an honest conversation with Luka about what the hell is wrong with him and if necessary make the decision to sit him. He’s been single handily loosing them multiple games and is an absolute shell of himself right now.

Mavs were -15 in 3 minutes Luka didn't play! Doesn't matter how badly you think he played, Mavs are worse without him. Far worse
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 06:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I mean...the Clippers are VERY good. We get that, right?

If I'd have told you beforehand that Luka was going to play like this through 4 games, wouldn't you have taken 2-2 gladly?

I would not say they are VERY good with Kawhi missing, except in one area where they have an absurdly overpowered mismatch. Lue vs Kidd is the equivalent of sending out Antoine Walker to guard prime Shaq.
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 06:08 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: No hate here, but I'm genuinely worried about his health after watching him become a traffic cone on defense in the 4th. He had been defending pretty well in this series until today. The 4th was maybe the worst defense I've ever seen him play.

He had 5 fouls after that foul on Zubac. Pretty logical he was avoiding contact. Mavs did well prerotating late in the fourth, but Harden got his anyway
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(04-28-2024, 05:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I didn't have a problem with Lively not finishing. Right or wrong, I'd have probably gone the same way. Kleber has played really well during this series, even being one of the few to hit his shots.

I DO have a problem with riding Gafford against Zubac, whether it's working or not. Lively should be playing more than him in this series, I believe.

Kleber isn't a shot blocker or doesn't deter players from going to the rim.  If PJ is getting beat off the dribble by Harden there is no one to set up to deter him from driving.  

How many drives does Kidd need to see to know that Harden wants to drive when there is no shot blocker in the lane?
Like Reply