Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 61: Philadelphia 76ers (34-25) vs. Dallas Mavericks (34-26)
Another messy defensive possession. Kyrie and Maxi don't communicate who is on who leaving Harris for a totally open mid range jumper.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=191&GameID=0022300871&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Harris%2011%27%20Turnaround%20Jump%20Shot%20(4%20PTS)%20(Lowry%202%20AST)
Like Reply
Good analysis. This all comes under learning to play defense together. This involves coaching and the players. It involves great effort while maintaining good thought processes on the same page as teammates. Sadly this all takes time and we have 21 games.

We do now have way more size defensive skill and overall 2 way talent than we had. We have supernova Luka and Kyrie available for the playoffs. Of course we will need team wide shot making that we don’t currently have…. Recently anyway. I really kind of trust Kyrie. We will be ok. This period of struggle was always going to happen. Hang in there Mavs fans!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(03-04-2024, 10:56 AM)omahen Wrote: Another messy defensive possession. Kyrie and Maxi don't communicate who is on who leaving Harris for a totally open mid range jumper.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=191&GameID=0022300871&Season=2023-24&flag=1&title=Harris%2011%27%20Turnaround%20Jump%20Shot%20(4%20PTS)%20(Lowry%202%20AST)

I couldn't view the video.  This happens way too much.   Even when they are active it seems like a patient and disiplined offense can get wide open looks with very little work.   Trying to stop teams from scoring is really, really difficult.   For some of the scorers, you just hope to give them tough looks and hope they miss.   But this is different.    Something is not working.
Like Reply
(03-04-2024, 11:58 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I couldn't view the video.  This happens way too much.   Even when they are active it seems like a patient and disiplined offense can get wide open looks with very little work.   Trying to stop teams from scoring is really, really difficult.   For some of the scorers, you just hope to give them tough looks and hope they miss.   But this is different.    Something is not working.

Not sure why video link doesn't work. Its Harris basket with 9:50 in the second quarter
Like Reply
(03-04-2024, 12:10 PM)omahen Wrote: Not sure why video link doesn't work. Its Harris basket with 9:50 in the second quarter

Copy/paste the entire link and use the "insert a link" option.
Like Reply
This guy annoys me, because he's correct...

https://youtu.be/AuENk362dQQ?si=S0FBl6jtwII8YQp1
[-] The following 1 user Likes david75090's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(03-04-2024, 12:46 PM)david75090 Wrote: This guy annoys me, because he's correct...

https://youtu.be/AuENk362dQQ?si=S0FBl6jtwII8YQp1

Interesting.
Like Reply
This isn't coaching. What is going on here? This basically ended the game. Why is Harris left wide open here?

https://twitter.com/Boweman55/status/176...2111415457
Like Reply
Also, this...

https://youtu.be/DVmvt99dyEQ?si=BHU-ffTZypm6NmVo

Talking about a professional basketball team that doesn't play rudimentary fundamentals.
Like Reply
(03-04-2024, 10:11 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Luka has dealt with WAY worse.

He's been coddled his entire time in the NBA.

I mean I wish we had some of this sometimes. I think Luka responds well to hardline leadership. Pop would be the best coach for him by far

I don't think Luka had any freedom in Europe and now he does. He HAD TO TAKE that kind of hardline coaching because he wasn't in a league that allowed stars to dictate their wishes (think NBA in the 90s). Now Luka is a premier player in the NBA and the NBA allows stars to dictate where they want to play. Maybe Luka responds to that hardline coaching but probably he doesn't (Carlisle is gone and Luka wasn't a fan of RC).
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
I would only play Ky with Luka so that they do their best with each other so the other teams cannot stop them and we score more easily. Your offense drops off when the two play without each other so stop doing it. You should play Exum and Hardy when they are off the court and run off clock unless they start to dominate the other teams second team.

Lively is slumping but that is to be expected in his rookie year. You ride him as much as you can and then you bring in Gafford we cannot win without someone in the middle to protect against the easy buckets and Kleber is not physical enough against bigger 5's. I expect that we could use Kleber as the 2nd team PF and he would get a lot of 3's. With Luka feeding Lively and PJ you can get them to perform as 2 way guys who score enough and both are good defenders that can also contribute on offense if a guy like Luka is feeding them so you need to play them with Luka so they do not suck.

At SF you get a better scoring option IMHO with DJJ over Green and his defense is somewhat better but both are ok enough on D but both are not the long time answer at SF. Green is not consistant and decisive enough to play with Luka out there because he is deferring to our starters and not trying to upstage them. Green at SF is really not his position I see his best position as a SG but he cannot start there or play at the 2 on the 2nd team with Exum and Hardy both being more explosive scorers I prefer them in that role since Green is a useful role player off the bench at the 3.

I do not want to see Hardaway at all but I understand you need to play him to get his trade value up higher for trade purposes in the offseason. Does Green have another gear to go to? Hardy is looking like he is going to continue to be a great option.

OMAX needs time as well and if he can come in at PF some then that means we may be able to utilize him at PF with PJ in at SF if only they shot 3's a lot better like I am sure will be the case next season. With both developing better shooting it would add enough size at the 3 we could then trade off Green and make a trade to get a pick or a player worth a damn.

Assuming we continue to stay in this rut much longer then I expect that Kidd will anger the basketball gods and get fired you cannot create a situation where Luka wants to leave.

A new coach with a better brain for the game is needed. Screw hiring a baby sitter you need guys that can develop better game plans and x's and o type stuff and who can motivate everyone like a coach is supposed to be able to do.

Problem a new coach would want to add a few pieces in the offseason and there is an obvious need for more bigs with massive size.

Our last pick of the draft pick is worthless and we need to take advantage of the 2nd rounds over abundant supply of big 5's and 4/5's so we can take a chance on getting something useful for cheap. We need to take whatever we can get for THJ and we should have done that before the TDL his value is as an expiring contract now since he has cratered lately and it could be a psychological thing because lets face it he has issues fitting in and getting upset when things do not work out.

We need more talent and if THJ is what the MBT want to trade then he needs to look a lot better in the very near future. With Green and THJ we may have enough to land some useful 2nd round picks and a somewhat useful player. Bundle them together to move up in the draft or settle in on taking a pair of 2nds. A 4 year player like Zach Edey might give the team another look and certainly it would help in certain matchups that could be hell to deal with later on as certain players start to develop.
Like Reply
(03-04-2024, 05:09 PM)david75090 Wrote: Also, this...

https://youtu.be/DVmvt99dyEQ?si=BHU-ffTZypm6NmVo

Talking about a professional basketball team that doesn't play rudimentary fundamentals.

This guy is so extremely annoying. Taking some plays that didn't go well and then screaming how everything is wrong. These are some cases from the very same game that Mavs actually did execute some of what he is screaming about. We can all see some of the things are not good, but this is imho not a way to present them if you want to be taken seriously.

Video and Shotcharts | Stats | NBA.com
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Not commenting on the commentary but this play stood out to me while watching the game. Couldn’t find it until now.

https://x.com/kyriemavs/status/1764898260160774548?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(03-05-2024, 11:56 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not commenting on the commentary but this play stood out to me while watching the game.  Couldn’t find it until now.

https://x.com/kyriemavs/status/1764898260160774548?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

I hate to make myself look even worse as a THJ critic...

Genuinely asking if this guy is possibly bitter and acting out now?

This would completely fly in the face of Tim being the perfect professional behind the scenes, though.  I dont know if Mavs have/had promised THJ something(think McGee starting) and broke their promise...but his on court display of decision making,  his refusal to pass the ball to youngsters when its 2nd and 3rd stringers on the court and recently his Dad claiming he is trying to get his son to Miami...make it seem like a bitter entanglement.

That was absolute trash display by an NBA player.

I dont see how acting out could lead to Tim becoming 2nd or 3rd band chair on another team...but I am confident he thinks highly of himself and his game and wants to be a starter with high volume of shots per game.

I have asked this forum if Tim took same shots in New York and replies say he did...but I am actually starting to think Tim was promised something and Mavs broke their promise...so he acts out in games. Maybe this(Tim upset about his place on the team) has been going on for a couple of years now but no trade made sense for Mavs. Now that he is expiring he can finally be traded things are hitting the fan?

Luka possibly yelling to the bench to get him out of the game. A few games ago when there was the infamous Kidd no call of a timeout when Mavs were hounded at the inbounds under the other teams basket two or 3 times in a row...eventually leading to Tim being double teamed under the other teams basket and Kidd just standing there without calling a timeout. I felt bad for Tim in that situation. Posters never mentioned in on here....but Luka was loud mouthing Tim after that play too. I think Luka got mad at Kidd as well for not calling a timeout....but Luka for sure got after Tim then too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-04-2024, 05:12 PM)MFFL Wrote: I don't think Luka had any freedom in Europe and now he does. He HAD TO TAKE that kind of hardline coaching because he wasn't in a league that allowed stars to dictate their wishes (think NBA in the 90s). Now Luka is a premier player in the NBA and the NBA allows stars to dictate where they want to play. Maybe Luka responds to that hardline coaching but probably he doesn't (Carlisle is gone and Luka wasn't a fan of RC).

That's actually fair.

I think at the end of the day Luka wants to win and he'd put up with a hardline approach to get there.

But he is probably the biggest advocate of Kidds system.

Hopefully we can conjure up the next Phil Jackson.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply