Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Game 60: Dallas Mavericks (34-25) vs Boston Celtics (46-12)
Not much you can do when best team in the league shoots 50 % from three. Speaking about Celtics - is it even possible to construct a better team than this? All 5 (plus next three guys off the bench) can shoot it. It even seeemed to me they should have several gears left on defense. If they don't win it, Tatum shouldn't be anywhere near MVP talks again.

The difficult road trip is over. Next three against Philly, Indy and Miami are in Dallas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(03-01-2024, 09:58 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Green is a good hustle guy, but his defense has been overrated for a while now.
Gets out of position very easily and cant nagivate screens well.

but today the team needed his offense and it was not there.

on a positive side huge game by Lively. team was really rolling when he was on the floor.
too bad he wasnt in there long enough, because, small ball. In a line up with Tillman and Horford, one of Lively and Gafford has to be in the game.

Pj washington played well and defended Tatum reasonably, he just made a lot of contested shots.
already have good chemistry with Luka. astronomically better defender than grant williams.

When Green subbed out for THJ, it was a 3 pt game. When he subbed back in for THJ it was a 18 pt game Angel

If Luka has a weakness, its 3 pt defense, and inability to rotate or just down right laziness in closing out. Pairing Luka with THJ who is even worse at that, its a recipe for disaster. Against good (shooting) teams its even worse. You need Green/Exum (not THJ) to cover for Luka's ass.  If you play THJ its always BBQ chicken.

[Image: aacuC2G.png]

[Image: 57Edx11.png]
[-] The following 6 users Like sefant's post:
  • RGP1981, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, Smitty, surfpuckmd, SwisherPrice
Like Reply
The Celtics are the best NBA team since Kevin Durant left the Warriors.  We shouldn't judge our team based on our performance against this Celtics roster.  Their starting five is just unfairly talented.  

That said, THJ isn't looking very good lately.  I'm typically a THJ defender but that's becoming hard to sustain.  

I also don't like Maxi at the 5.  I think it might be an occasional wrinkle to try but I don't think it should be a regular thing.  I think Gafford is a better overall player than Maxi.  

This road trip has been somewhat demoralizing.  Hopefully, they bounce back soon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Not only that, the Kings beat the T-Wolves tonight and the Pelicans beat the Pacers. So the Mavs lost ground and drop back to the 8 seed. Warriors won their 8th straight on the road as well. The musical chairs continue...
Like Reply
Mavs were right there until Boston just hit bullshit shot after bullshit shot. So many wild threes that just bounced in. Mavs had several good looks that didn't. Pretty much the story of the game. This was a LOT closer than the score suggests.

Kleber I thought had a pretty bad game. Green had a pretty bad game defensively as well. So many missed rotations.

Lively was a monster tonight. Luka was Luka. Kyrie had an off game.

THJ shouldn't really ever see the floor and it's hard to justify playing him any minutes right now. There is no case statistically that he deserves to be on the floor. There is no case with an eye test that he deserves to be on the floor. Hopefully Hardaway has a personal issue and is away from the team for the rest of the year.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • RGP1981, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Had to miss this one. I see the game thread tilted a little negative, but not as much as I would've thought.

I tried to tell you guys Gafford wasn't going to play enough to justify that deal. We'll still be glad they have him when he gets in and has good games, but he's not playing half of these games. He's Lively insurance, basically.

Judging by the tenor of this thread, Kleber must've had a rough one tonight but I'll bet the Kleber/Washington front court continues to be a huge part of the plan. They've played really well together since the trade, much more often than not.

The highlights make it seem like it was a game until the fourth quarter. Were there no positives to take away?
Like Reply
Despite his poor plus minus, he was not the reason we lost but I am just done with Hardaway. At this stage, I don't even think it is worth it even if he has a 7-10 three point shooting night. He is not a bad player (and was pretty good early in the season) but I just am ready to move on. I think this team would be better if you switched him out for a less talented player who did things Hardaway can't do.

I don't know which is worse when he enters the game. Him missing his first 2 shots. You know you have 3-4 more aggressive shots. If he is off, he has then pulled back some lately and doesn't force things. It may be worse though when he hits 2 of his first 3 shots when entering a game. You know you are going to have 3 just ridiculous shots coming and there is a good chance at the end of the game you have like a 5-14 shooting night.

I was so impressed with Boston. They wiped Dallas in both meetings and I thought in both games they had another level to go to if they needed to. They are really good.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, omahen
Like Reply
Kidd tried DJJ in the PF role next to Kleber. We even saw some four guard lineups. Kleber/PJ isn't the issue. The problem is an undersized SF/PF next to Kleber. Have no clue why that is still a thing. Washington/Kleber/Luka should be on the floor whenever the Mavs aren't playing with a traditional center. If they want to have three out of THJ/Kyrie/Exum/Hardy/Green they need more size at PF/C.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 08:27 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Kidd tried DJJ in the PF role next to Kleber. We even saw some four guard lineups. Kleber/PJ isn't the issue. The problem is an undersized SF/PF next to Kleber. Have no clue why that is still a thing. Washington/Kleber/Luka should be on the floor whenever the Mavs aren't playing with a traditional center. If they want to have three out of THJ/Kyrie/Exum/Hardy/Green they need more size at PF/C.

Totally agree. Kidd was playing Kleber with four guards in minutes when Celtics were with KP and Horford together. I just didn't understand what was his plan.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • rocky164, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 08:27 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Kidd tried DJJ in the PF role next to Kleber. We even saw some four guard lineups. Kleber/PJ isn't the issue. The problem is an undersized SF/PF next to Kleber. Have no clue why that is still a thing. Washington/Kleber/Luka should be on the floor whenever the Mavs aren't playing with a traditional center. If they want to have three out of THJ/Kyrie/Exum/Hardy/Green they need more size at PF/C.

Maybe we should give Marcus Morris a look, if he hasn’t signed with the Timbervolves yet - just to keep Kidd from getting too cute? 

The Celtics are the perfect team for Porzingis by the way… They can support him to perfection on defense and he is a killer weapon for them on offense with his combination of size and shooting. Will be fascinating to see if a Giannis or Embiid in god mode can stop these Celtics in the playoffs.
[-] The following 2 users Like Knutsen's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 08:49 AM)Knutsen Wrote: Maybe we should give Marcus Morris a look, if he hasn’t signed with the Timbervolves yet - just to keep Kidd from getting too cute? 

The Celtics are the perfect team for Porzingis by the way… They can support him to perfection on defense and he is a killer weapon for them on offense with his combination of size and shooting. Will be fascinating to see if a Giannis or Embiid in god mode can stop these Celtics in the playoffs.

One could make a case that all four perimeter guys next to him have a legit all defense case. Cannot switch hunt against them. They can protect KP. KP rarely if ever ends up in a situation where he has to defend on the perimeter.
Like Reply
We aren’t too far away. Lively really dominated parts of the first half. 3rd quarter we make a comeback to pull within 3. This was all the starters doing this. Despite Green not showing up on either end. Despite the poor shooting Kyrie game. This was the same run that PJ hit a couple 3’s in the flow of the offense. We should feel good about what happened to that point

Defensively we need Lively to be able to switch and guard out to the perimeter and run people off the line like Bam does. This is the key to everything. Kidd seems to think he can’t do this and that’s a problem. Gafford doesn’t have the physical ability to do this and it’s why he won’t play much in the playoffs. The rest of the team must make their rotations: Green cannot get bullied by every player setting a screen, Luka must stay engaged all game long and THJ is obviously causing problems

Offensively we don’t have any flow. We need to solve for this. Too many 3’s with 18 seconds on the shot clock. All these good teams we lose to pass the ball around in a way we do not. Luka and Tim. Overall our team 3pt% should be higher with better flow

PJ looks the part. He does everything we could hope for. Super excited to watch him grow into his role
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Not saying it's THJ's fault, but there's something to say that he checks in at 7:20 left in the 3rd and the score was 74-77.

At the end of the 3rd the score was 90-102.

Green checked in for Timmy at 8:53 in the 4th with the score at 94-112.

Really felt like the wheels came off right after that PJ missed 3 and the Mavs just couldn't defend.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 12:48 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Not saying it's THJ's fault, but there's something to say that he checks in at 7:20 left in the 3rd and the score was 74-77.

At the end of the 3rd the score was 90-102.

Green checked in for Timmy at 8:53 in the 4th with the score at 94-112.

Really felt like the wheels came off right after that PJ missed 3 and the Mavs just couldn't defend.

I truly and honestly feel like this team would be better if THJ never played another minute. I don't feel like he's a winning player. I understand why some like him because he becomes a flame thrower every once in a while, but the negatives outweigh the positives in my mind.
[-] The following 6 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • rocky164, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, Smitty, SwisherPrice
Like Reply
This guy rips every coach after a loss but even better when it's Kidd. It's clear this team is not being coached with the proper defensive schemes, fundamentals, and techniques. So many breakdowns are just a lack of awareness and communication that you would expect coaching to get through to their players but we're in the last stretch of the season and still seeing so many problems. I don't even blame the players as much...it's like they're just being told to go out there and figure things out vs. opponents who actually prepare and gameplan for the Mavs. Kidd and his staff have to go! 

[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 01:11 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I truly and honestly feel like this team would be better if THJ never played another minute. I don't feel like he's a winning player. I understand why some like him because he becomes a flame thrower every once in a while, but the negatives outweigh the positives in my mind.

I'll do a rain dance that you dont get banned here or that pitchforks dont see your way

My personal and unpopular opinion is...Luka is so good you dont need THJ's gravity.

THJ kills offensive possessions whether he is on fire or not. And when he is really on fire...is not frequent enough.

If Dak Prescott can be considered dispensable...so can Luka if he can take Max Money but not operate without a possession killing, gravity provider.

I know its a hot sports opinion...but the Matrix has to choose a side here...it cant have it both ways. Or it can...and just kill existence.

If every other sports athlete has to carry to be considered his weight in contract...so should Luka. I know the Matrix hates this.
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 05:23 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: This guy rips every coach after a loss but even better when it's Kidd. It's clear this team is not being coached with the proper defensive schemes, fundamentals, and techniques. So many breakdowns are just a lack of awareness and communication that you would expect coaching to get through to their players but we're in the last stretch of the season and still seeing so many problems. I don't even blame the players as much...it's like they're just being told to go out there and figure things out vs. opponents who actually prepare and gameplan for the Mavs. Kidd and his staff have to go! 

I just can't listen to that dude.  No idea if he knows what he is talking about, but I don't even want to sit through that.  LOL.

For me, transition defense and being connected on rotations are the big things this team needs to improve on.   Personally, I would really like to get to a spot where we chase players off the three point line and funnel them to our big.  Not sure if that is scheme or due to our talent.   It just seems like disciplined  teams can get wide open three point looks if they are patient and smart.
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 05:30 PM)youzigizag Wrote: I'll do a rain dance that you dont get banned here or that pitchforks dont see your way

You're such a silly billy sometimes. A moderator on this board is one of the most vocal THJ detractors. Why would one be banned for voicing that opinion?  Big Grin

As to your other statement. While I don't necessarily disagree with it. Luka's gravity is all time and can generate an open look for anyone, having another versatile offensive option is always better than the contrary. I mean look at Boston and all of their weapons. That's what the mavs should strive for.

In either case, THJ doesn't fit in both visions and should hopefully be dumped this summer. What I'm torn on is that the Mavs need to sit THJ to succeed, but in doing so would kill any and all value. Catch-22 really.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 07:23 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: You're such a silly billy sometimes. A moderator on this board is one of the most vocal THJ detractors. Why would one be banned for voicing that opinion?  Big Grin

As to your other statement. While I don't necessarily disagree with it. Luka's gravity is all time and can generate an open look for anyone, having another versatile offensive option is always better than the contrary. I mean look at Boston and all of their weapons. That's what the mavs should strive for.

In either case, THJ doesn't fit in both visions and should hopefully be dumped this summer. What I'm torn on is that the Mavs need to sit THJ to succeed, but in doing so would kill any and all value. Catch-22 really.

I would look no further than RealGM boards...assuming you think this is all real and assuming on court play is something.

My personal opinion lies with RealGM's collective consensus...THJ is a chucker and border line ball-hogger.

Going further...my personal opinion is "killing" THJ's any left value far surpasses his on court value.    The guy kills possessions.  

Who cares about the guys value?  Its an excuse to continue frustration.  Be done with it or answer reasonable questions as to why he is still a thing here.
Like Reply
(03-02-2024, 07:23 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: You're such a silly billy sometimes. A moderator on this board is one of the most vocal THJ detractors. Why would one be banned for voicing that opinion?  Big Grin

I also question if the league isnt adjusting to "Luka" play and not sagging on the weak side.

This has been my biggest Luka critique.  Is the league catching up with the weak side "sag".  Or whatever you want to call it.

Luka will produce...but is it getting harder for him?
Like Reply