Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List
(02-17-2024, 12:08 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Killian Hayes has been terrible in the NBA thus far.  There is some potential there though to someday be a decent backup point.  Jason Kidd and Kyrie could both help that kid improve.  

The reason we should take a chance on these players is that they require no assets to acquire.  Decent prospects free of charge. Smart organizations take these opportunities.  Lottery tickets for free are never a bad bet.

Hayes is a scratched off lottery ticket at this point - he's just awful. He needs a few years in Europe or China. Why waste our time and resources on him? Hardy is better. Brandon Williams is better. Hayes is just a name.
[-] The following 3 users Like MFFL's post:
  • F Gump, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Furkan Korkmaz would be good IMHO

Heck I do it just so we could hear his name being announced as he got in a game.

Someone is bound to mispronounce it and make us all bust out a good laugh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes myconsumerclub's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-17-2024, 08:53 PM)myconsumerclub Wrote: Furkan Korkmaz would be good IMHO

Wouldn't take much to pay him.
I think he doesn't play much, but for sure he'd be ahead of Lawson and BWilliams.
Omax plays a different position, but I he wouldn't get PT in the play-offs.

I could see Korkmaz getting his PT whenever THJ and/or Hardy struggles, and if Exum still isn't available or not well yet to play the way he used to.
Like Reply
(02-17-2024, 05:01 PM)MFFL Wrote: Hayes is a scratched off lottery ticket at this point - he's just awful. He needs a few years in Europe or China. Why waste our time and resources on him? Hardy is better. Brandon Williams is better. Hayes is just a name.

The unused 15th roster spot will do nothing for us.  It's a wasted opportunity.  

Killian Hayes is 6'5 with decent athleticism.  He's Ok defensively and can handle the ball and pass.  He just can't shoot.  If he could shoot, he'd be a starter.  As he is, he's an interesting prospect.  He's also free to obtain.  

There are plenty of players in the league who didn't succeed in their first NBA opportunity because they were "awful".

Players like Goga Bitadze, Jalen Smith, Kris Dunn and Dennis Smith Jr failed in their initial NBA opportunities but somehow have now become quality rotation players.  

Taking a chance on a young player with some talent is much smarter than preserving the 15th roster spot in the name of cynicism.
Like Reply
(02-17-2024, 05:01 PM)MFFL Wrote: Hayes is a scratched off lottery ticket at this point - he's just awful. He needs a few years in Europe or China. Why waste our time and resources on him? Hardy is better. Brandon Williams is better. Hayes is just a name.

He should have never been drafted 7th in the 1st place. Detroit had a chance to take Tyrese Haliburton. Teams behind  Detroit passed on him until he went to the Kings with the 13th pick. That's why they're in the position they're in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-17-2024, 10:42 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: The unused 15th roster spot will do nothing for us.  It's a wasted opportunity.  

Killian Hayes is 6'5 with decent athleticism.  He's Ok defensively and can handle the ball and pass.  He just can't shoot.  If he could shoot, he'd be a starter.  As he is, he's an interesting prospect.  He's also free to obtain.  

There are plenty of players in the league who didn't succeed in their first NBA opportunity because they were "awful".

Players like Goga Bitadze, Jalen Smith, Kris Dunn and Dennis Smith Jr failed in their initial NBA opportunities but somehow have now become quality rotation players.  

Taking a chance on a young player with some talent is much smarter than preserving the 15th roster spot in the name of cynicism.

I'm very much of the opinion that Hayes isn't anything special. He's statistically been one of the worst players in the league. Being on some of the worst teams throughout his career doesn't help his stats. I think the most relevant thing is that his own team gave up on him as soon as his 2nd year and waived him before his own rookie deal was up.

He reminds me a lot of Franky Smokes, but instead of never shooting it Hayes loves to hoist inefficient mid range jumpers.

I agree though, that the 15th spot being left open is a wasted opportunity. Hayes would be an interesting gamble. There were a ton of rumors over the summer that the Mavs were interested in Hayes. Of course I think we can deduce the real target was Bogdanovic and Hayes was the ballast DET wanted to get off of. But the fact the Mavs most likely considered it is telling imo. 

Another wrinkle is that Hayes agent was basically begging DET to trade him at the TDL for a better opportunity. Is he really getting that here? He'd be squarely behind Luka, Kyrie, Exum, THJ, Hardy, and Green. I think it's far more likely Hayes is picked up by the Spurs to end the year and to see if he's worth rehabbing. 

For the Mavs, if they don't sign anyone from the buyout/waived market, then I think Lawson's contract is converted and they roll with who they got. While not splashy, Lawson has played some pretty solid minutes at times this season. Not sure he'd be a playoff sparkplug, but his hustle is worth it alone.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(02-18-2024, 01:48 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Another wrinkle is that Hayes agent was basically begging DET to trade him at the TDL for a better opportunity. Is he really getting that here? He'd be squarely behind Luka, Kyrie, Exum, THJ, Hardy, and Green. I think it's far more likely Hayes is picked up by the Spurs to end the year and to see if he's worth rehabbing. 

For the Mavs, if they don't sign anyone from the buyout/waived market, then I think Lawson's contract is converted and they roll with who they got. While not splashy, Lawson has played some pretty solid minutes at times this season. Not sure he'd be a playoff sparkplug, but his hustle is worth it alone.

Fair analogy to Frank in terms of overall potential but Hayes has a better handle and is a better passer.  Frank was a better defender.  

Hayes has been really bad which is why he is released.  Just consider him as a prospect with some desirable characteristics though.  6'5 is great size for a PG and he can already play some defense.  

He would be our 14th or 15th man and would be here as a development prospect.  I think he has more upside than Lawson who will always be an undersized wing.    

My point is just that Hayes or Korkmaz would be worthwhile gambles who are available for free.  

If we're going to convert a 2-way player to a standard contract, I think Greg Brown has more potential than Lawson.  His athleticism is extraordinary even by NBA standards.  

The reality is the 15th spot is unlikely to really make any significant difference in the future of the Dallas Mavericks.  It is an opportunity though that we should take on a young player.
Like Reply
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-intel-a-...t-updates/

Evan Fournier, who was excited to be traded by New York and eager for his new opportunity in Detroit, has played 25 minutes per game in his two games since joining the Pistons. While some around the league wondered if Fournier could hit the free agent market after landing with a rebuilding Detroit team, the Pistons have indicated they plan to keep the Frenchman, HoopsHype has learned.

Elsewhere, the Hornets have won three straight games heading into the All-Star break. Following the trade deadline, some playoff teams wondered if stretch forward Davis Bertans would become available, but the Latvian forward has enjoyed his new home in Charlotte, and the Hornets have given him consistent playing time off the bench thus far. Bertans hitting the market looks less likely.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Fournier has been riding the pine in NY, and hasn't played consistently in at least 3 yrs. I'm pretty sure he has his legs under him and he can shoot. Probably worth a look since Detroit's season is lost. You can say the same for Bertans.
Like Reply
Any confirmation on Marcus Morris to the Wolves? That would be far more upsetting in terms of helping them rather than in terms of the Mavs not getting him.
Like Reply
Okay, a little perspective here.

How many bought-out players are likely to make a substantial impact on their new teams? Dinwiddie? Maybe. He's still relatively young (30), and has recently contributed in a significant way. There might be a couple more who still have a little bit left in the tank, as well.

But mostly, it's guys who are done, or almost done. Teams who sign them are hoping to capture those last fumes before the tank runs dry, at a low cost.

If you're Dallas, do you want to spend a roster spot on a guy that's unlikely to contribute, doesn't fit the team's timeline, might steal minutes from your developmental projects, and also might upset your locker room chemistry?

Of the remaining un-signed players, whom do you trust?
Like Reply
(02-20-2024, 11:47 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Any confirmation on Marcus Morris to the Wolves? That would be far more upsetting in terms of helping them rather than in terms of the Mavs not getting him.

https://www.si.com/nba/timberwolves/news...out-player

Only thing is this article from 4 days ago. Apparently Morris hasn't even been bought out? I might be going crazy but I could've sworn he's been available since the TDL.

Quote:Morris and former Wolves guard Patrick Beverley were teammates this season in Philadelphia and Beverley stated on his podcast that Morris is "leaning towards" signing with Minnesota. The Athletic's Jon Krawczynski said Tuesday on his own podcast that there is a "good chance" Morris lands in Minnesota after his buyout but that "nothing is imminent."

Honestly not sure why he'd sign there. They have Reid, McDaniels, and Kyle Anderson all playing behind KAT and Gobert for the 4 and 5.
Like Reply
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
The Timberwolves are signing Justin Jackson to a 10-day contract, sources tell ESPN.

Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
Jackson has been averaging 19.9 points with the G League Texas Legends. He’s played 278 NBA games with seven teams since coming into the league as a first-round pick in 2017.
Like Reply
@ShamsCharania

The Oklahoma City Thunder are waiving Aleksej Pokusevski, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Pokusevski was the Thunder's No. 17 pick in the 2020 NBA Draft and played 150 games across almost four years.
Like Reply
(02-23-2024, 03:42 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @ShamsCharania

The Oklahoma City Thunder are waiving Aleksej Pokusevski, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Pokusevski was the Thunder's No. 17 pick in the 2020 NBA Draft and played 150 games across almost four years.

[Image: tenor.gif]

Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, MFFL, SleepingHero
Like Reply
@wojespn
The Charlotte Hornets are expected to sign F Aleksej Pokusevski, sources tell ESPN. The Oklahoma City Thunder waived him this week. Pokusevski was the 17th overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft.
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 01:58 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: @wojespn
The Charlotte Hornets are expected to sign F Aleksej Pokusevski, sources tell ESPN. The Oklahoma City Thunder waived him this week. Pokusevski was the 17th overall pick in the 2020 NBA Draft.

So Friday is the deadline for players getting bought out to be playoff eligible for another team, is that correct?
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 02:29 AM)Knutsen Wrote: So Friday is the deadline for players getting bought out to be playoff eligible for another team, is that correct?

https://www.nba.com/news/key-dates

According to this, yes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Knutsen
Like Reply
I don't suppose any of the decent NBA head coaches have gotten bought out.
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 09:07 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I don't suppose any of the decent NBA head coaches have gotten bought out.

Adrian Griffin?

Doc Rivers?
Like Reply