MavsBoard
NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List (/showthread.php?tid=2901)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - SleepingHero - 02-10-2024

Decided to keep a running list of all potential buyout guys and cross them off when they sign so we can keep track:

Kyle Lowry- Philadelphia 76ers
Spencer Dinwiddie -Los Angeles Lakers
Marcus Morris
Danilo Gallinari- Milwaukee Bucks
Thad Young- Phoenix Suns
Killian Hayes
Danuel House
Corey Joseph
Robin Lopez
Chimezie Metu
Bismack Biyombo - Oklahoma City Thunder
James Bouknight
Furkan Korkmaz
Ryan Arcidiacono
Delon Wright- Miami Heat
Shake Milton- New York Knicks 
Kevin Knox
Ish Smith
Jordan Goodwin- Memphis Grizzlies (10-day contract)
Frank Ntilikina
Justin Jackson- Minnesota Timberwolves (10-day contract)
Aleksej Pokusveski- Charlotte Hornets
Mike Muscala- Oklahoma City Thunder 
Patty Mills- Miami Heat

Those italicized are not yet officially waived/bought out but are rumored to hit the market.

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - SwisherPrice - 02-10-2024

I'm glad Dinwiddie signed with the Lakers. I want a Morris Brothers Reunion! Keep adding some size and give the frontcourt as many options as possible

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - omahen - 02-10-2024

I think Morris is logical with all the connections Mavs have. But Mavs are also deep and I would hate giving up regular rotation minutes to him. Good buyout guys usually look for a situation where they can play and show their worth for next contract.

Based on this I would prefer to give a contract to one of the young guys. Either try out Hayes (my guess he too will look for a team that can give him minutes), I think more less known young guys were also cut. Or perhaps award AJ Lawson for his hard work.

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - dirkfansince1998 - 02-10-2024

Evan Fournier is an interesting name. See if he has something left in the tank and pick him up for cheap (maybe on a 1+1). If he can still play he is the perfect THJ insurance and would allow the Mavs to get creative with THJs contract.

Jason Terry - Jason Terry - 02-10-2024

(02-10-2024, 06:08 PM)omahen Wrote: I think Morris is logical with all the connections Mavs have. But Mavs are also deep and I would hate giving up regular rotation minutes to him. Good buyout guys usually look for a situation where they can play and show their worth for next contract.

Based on this I would prefer to give a contract to one of the young guys. Either try out Hayes (my guess he too will look for a team that can give him minutes), I think more less known young guys were also cut. Or perhaps award AJ Lawson for his hard work.
This is where I’m at as well. Hayes would be a great target to get a closer look rest of season to see if we could turn him into a role player. If something like that isn’t our there, I’d like to convert Lawson if we believe in him. If not, then possibly a veteran point guard for insurance purposes

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - RasheedsBigWhiteSpot - 02-10-2024

Ideally I'd like someone who could fill a role like Peja in 2011. The buyout person doesn't need to be someone expecting regular minutes or being good at many things. I want the MBT to determine who, of the buyout guys, has a singular skill that, can win a series. They can otherwise be unplayable. Remember, in the Championship run, Peja only played against the Lakers. But he destroyed them.

Perhaps the Mavs need a certain type of defender who is particularly good against Jokic or a certain top wing (like they are uncanny at stopping the unstoppable, but are worthless against regular people).

Maybe there's a Josh Richardson-type who only comes off the bench because he's a deadeye FT shooter.

Maybe there's someone who you sign because they are great at being a goon (remember DeShawn against LeBron?).

Basically, I just want the 15th guy to have a 10/10 skill rather than 5s across the board. Because, in the playoffs, benches and bootyholes tighten. It will take something specific to get that deep bench guy in the game.

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - KillerLeft - 02-10-2024

(02-10-2024, 08:55 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Ideally I'd like someone who could fill a role like Peja in 2011.  The buyout person doesn't need to be someone expecting regular minutes or being good at many things. I want the MBT to determine who, of the buyout guys, has a singular skill that, can win a series. They can otherwise be unplayable. Remember, in the Championship run, Peja only played against the Lakers. But he destroyed them.

Perhaps the Mavs need a certain type of defender who is particularly good against Jokic or a certain top wing (like they are uncanny at stopping the unstoppable, but are worthless against regular people).

Maybe there's a Josh Richardson-type who only comes off the bench because he's a deadeye FT shooter.

Maybe there's someone who you sign because they are great at being a goon (remember DeShawn against LeBron?).

Basically, I just want the 15th guy to have a 10/10 skill rather than 5s across the board. Because, in the playoffs, benches and bootyholes tighten.  It will take something specific to get that deep bench guy in the game.

I wonder if Bertans gets bought out.

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - Winter - 02-10-2024

I like Lawson because I think he'll be grateful for every minute he gets ...unlike maybe Hayes or Fournier. I also think he's performed pretty well.

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - MFFL - 02-10-2024

(02-10-2024, 08:55 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: Ideally I'd like someone who could fill a role like Peja in 2011.  The buyout person doesn't need to be someone expecting regular minutes or being good at many things. I want the MBT to determine who, of the buyout guys, has a singular skill that, can win a series. They can otherwise be unplayable. Remember, in the Championship run, Peja only played against the Lakers. But he destroyed them.

Basically, I just want the 15th guy to have a 10/10 skill rather than 5s across the board. Because, in the playoffs, benches and bootyholes tighten.  It will take something specific to get that deep bench guy in the game.

Basically that describes the other Morris brother to a T. He might not win a series for you or lock down a particular player but he can frustrate the hell out of a player and maybe take them out of their game.

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - MFFL - 02-10-2024

And I REALLY hated typing that last post. I REALLY hate the Morris brothers (individually and collectively)

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - DallasMaverick - 02-10-2024

Kyle Lowry to Sixers

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - MarkAguirreWrathofGod - 02-11-2024

Marcus Morris can swing a playoff game. 40% from 3, a good midrange iso game (which becomes more important in the playoffs) And he can make another team’s 4 uncomfortable for a 5 minute stretch.

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - MrGoat - 02-11-2024

The other Morris is a good enough shooter and a PF with enough size I don't hate the idea actually

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - Dundalis - 02-11-2024

I don't think Morris brings enough to the table to be worth the potential off court headache tbh. If only OPJ was even a semblance of what he was about 5 years ago...

The more I read about Killian Hayes, the more I think it would be a waste of time. Like they gave him all the opportunities possible and there was basically zero development. He might not even be on an NBA team next season. We really could use a 4th reliable ball handler though. Dinwiddie going to LA is actually really annoying.

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - ThisIStheYear - 02-11-2024

Delon Wright is the only guy on that list I’d consider. We could use some point guard insurance. He hasn’t been horrible this year, though his 2 point FG% has collapsed. Otherwise, I’d just go with our current guys. I sure as hell wouldn’t want two Morris brothers. One is enough (we have the wrong one).

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - MFFL - 02-11-2024

Keef Morris
@Keefmorris
??
All Things Mavs
@All_Things_Mavs
·
Feb 10
if Dinwiddie does go to LA, I want the Mavs to go all in for Marcus Morris

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - Chicagojk - 02-11-2024

I have no idea which way I would go. Rewarding AJ Lawson is one way. If you told me Kyrie and Exum would be healthy for most of the year, I don't think we need another guard. But that is a big ?. So this needs to be considered. What happens if Otto Porter is released. He has been hurt, but could be a guy I could see joining a game in a playoff game and hit 3 threes.

Hollinger had an article listing around 30 potential buyout guys...not all will be bought out. There are several intriguing guys. No one who could help a team a lot..maybe besides Dinwiddie. But at least someone who could provide insurance.

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - Winter - 02-11-2024

Sorry if I'm repeating something. I don't know if people saw this... from a Clutchpoint article.

Explains how Lakers offered more money to Dinwiddie.

"Spencer Dinwiddie signed a $1.5 million contract with the Lakers because the front office reportedly didn’t use a “full non-taxpayer mid-level exception on Gabe Vincent last offseason,” according to Shams Charania and Jovan Buha of The Athletic. That decision gave Los Angeles some extra money to sign a buyout player this season who happened to be Dinwiddie."

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - SleepingHero - 02-11-2024

(02-11-2024, 06:21 PM)Winter Wrote: Sorry if I'm repeating something. I don't know if people saw this... from a Clutchpoint article.

Explains how Lakers offered more money to Dinwiddie.

"Spencer Dinwiddie signed a $1.5 million contract with the Lakers because the front office reportedly didn’t use a “full non-taxpayer mid-level exception on Gabe Vincent last offseason,” according to Shams Charania and Jovan Buha of The Athletic. That decision gave Los Angeles some extra money to sign a buyout player this season who happened to be Dinwiddie."

The Mavs also had 5.5 mil left over from their NT-MLE. They could have offered up to 3.3 mil and stayed under tax. But our own resident Mr.Gump highlighted it's not as simple as the overall dollar amount when it comes to buyout signings above the minimum. 

At the end of the day the Mavs could've offered more than the Lakers if they wanted to. Whether they actually did remains to be seen.

RE: NBA 2024 Buyout Watch List - Winter - 02-11-2024

(02-11-2024, 08:01 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The Mavs also had 5.5 mil left over from their NT-MLE. They could have offered up to 3.3 mil and stayed under tax. But our own resident Mr.Gump highlighted it's not as simple as the overall dollar amount when it comes to buyout signings above the minimum. 

At the end of the day the Mavs could've offered more than the Lakers if they wanted to. Whether they actually did remains to be seen.

Is there any advantage to leaving the spot unfilled?