Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: PJ Washington+ 2 2nds To DAL | G. Williams+ Curry+ 2027 FRP (top 2 protected)
(02-08-2024, 05:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://youtu.be/GAhia6LzRqQ?si=U9t081I8s1mavaRW

Here’s a pretty informed CHA fan who doesn’t fit your narrative.

It's funny to watch how excited other fans are about players we've soured on.

And of course, we're excited about players that other teams' fans think are trash.

The evidence will come forth over the next few months.  Who was right?

Too early to tell.
Like Reply
There are reports out now that Luka was a really big fan of bringing Washington in… I heard it right from Woj’s mouth. I really am excited about the player. I just have to trick myself into stopping all thought related to draft capital. Like, ever again.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, MFFL, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Hopefully the front office has some inside info on PJ. He’s supposedly from this area.

He does have a Christian Wood lite reputation. Most famous for knocking up IG hoes.

The talent is there.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 05:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: There are reports out now that Luka was a really big fan of bringing Washington in… I heard it right from Woj’s mouth. I really am excited about the player. I just have to trick myself into stopping all thought related to draft capital. Like, ever again.

If it helps you at all. The Mavs were able to net +1 pick this TDL Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Tyler
Like Reply
PJ last summer got the last RFA left treatment. As a result, he ended up with a team friendly contract and a grudge against the home team. That this seems to have affected his performance is no surprise. Now we get a no-longer-disgruntled player on a team-friendly contract. That’s a win.

Moreover, I would happily bet on this team making the playoffs in 2027. So the pick for 2 seconds doesn’t feel like an overpay at all. Neither does the 28 swap with OKC. The new front office is kicking ass if you ask me.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 7 users Like The Jom's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, F Gump, KillerLeft, MFFL, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 05:48 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Hopefully the front office has some inside info on PJ. He’s supposedly from this area.

He does have a Christian Wood lite reputation. Most famous for knocking up IG hoes.

The talent is there.

Best wood slanger we've had since DSJ
[-] The following 2 users Like loki's post:
  • KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
I should clarify he does play for the Hornets, while Wood earned that reputation from a lot of different stops.

Thats why I’m hopeful.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 05:23 PM)bodhisattva Wrote: Another bad day for Mavericks.
Gafford could be got in Porzingis trade, instead of Bertrans.
Mavs traded Bullock and a swap 2030 away to get Grant Williams just to trade Williams few months later for PJ Washington with another FIRST ROUNDER!
And PJ is basically a bit better version of Williams albeit a bit taller. By the start of next season, everybody here will be screaming how horrible he is.
Solid players and I like them, but we again traded for two men who belong on 7,8th place in a roster and dont move Mavs up in standings. Should have stood pat in this trade deadline, but I guess panic is setting in. Luka probably has his luggage packed at the door, just waiting for Miami to call.

Gafford was not even trade eligible during the KP trade, and obviously not interchangeable with the albatross Bertans.

You mention Bullock like we gave something away.  He is toast.

The Williams trade was a miss.  It happens.  I'm a little amazed we got off that contract.

PJ and Gafford are good young players on good contracts.  If we want to make a big trade this coming offseason, they will probably be worth in the ballpark of the draft capital we just spent.
[-] The following 6 users Like mvossman's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, MFFL, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:23 PM)mvossman Wrote: Gafford was not even trade eligible during the KP trade, and obviously not interchangeable with the albatross Bertans.

The Williams trade was a miss.  It happens.  I'm a little amazed we got off that contract.

PJ and Gafford are good young players on good contracts.  If we want to make a big trade this coming offseason, they will probably be worth in the ballpark of the draft capital we just spent.

Interesting, how quickly you changed your opinion from just a couple of days ago, when you were firm in the "wait for the summer" camp. If I remember correctly. What made you change your mind?

I said before TDL - I don't want to spend a FRP for PJ and I don't want to spend assets for a back-up centre. I am certainly giving the team a chance to prove me wrong, but I am pretty scared about the future outlook. Geting a little bit better is not the end goal here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:27 PM)omahen Wrote: Interesting, how quickly you changed your opinion from just a couple of days ago, when you were firm in the "wait for the summer" camp. If I remember correctly. What made you change your mind?

I said before TDL - I don't want to spend a FRP for PJ and I don't want to spend assets for a back-up centre. I am certainly giving the team a chance to prove me wrong, but I am pretty scared about the future outlook. Geting a little bit better is not the end goal here.

We now have eight players worthy of being in a playoff 8-man rotation. Yesterday, we had six (Luka, Kai, Lively, Exum, Green, and THJ). I'm sure not sad.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 05:48 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Hopefully the front office has some inside info on PJ. He’s supposedly from this area.

The talent is there.

It's a big risk. Mavs are gambling on his upside. Apparently they didn't see it with Williams. A gamble that only lasted a few month. Williams was the 7th/8th man on a contender. PJ 6th man on a tanking team. If PJ doesn't improve the Mavs are in trouble.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:31 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: We now have eight players worthy of being in a playoff 8-man rotation. Yesterday, we had six (Luka, Kai, Lively, Exum, Green, and THJ). I'm sure not sad.

How do you know that? Everyone loved GWill acquisition in the summer and you specifically wanted to dump salaries to keep MLE to resign DJJ only a month ago. I am not saying new guys will be busts, but I am certainly not opening champaigns either.
Like Reply
@TimelySaint
Luka Doncic was excited about the possibility of acquiring PJ Washington @ the trade deadline for the team to make a playoff run.
Per @wojespn
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
I wonder if Mavs will change offense in any way after the TDL. Limiting PJ to catch and shoot threes or attacking close-outs doesn't seem to be best way to utilize his offense. I hope he can be good in a short roll when Luka is doubled, because GWill was terrible doing it. Will we see some post ups? I didn't really saw him much, but he did seem like a guy that can punish smaller guys.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:27 PM)omahen Wrote: Interesting, how quickly you changed your opinion from just a couple of days ago, when you were firm in the "wait for the summer" camp. If I remember correctly. What made you change your mind?

I thought the most likely trades were going be for Kuz or Wiggins.  I was worried that Kuz would be exposed here as an empty numbers guy who does not contribute that well to competing team and of course the Wiggins concerns are obvious.  

I really like Gafford as a player.  I don't know how much sense he makes on this team long term, but I think he can be flipped for what we paid for him when needed (although I liked this whole thing a lot better before the pick swap).

We paid a lot for PJ, but I am very happy to get off that GWill contract.  He was a big negative even in the second unit.  I have concerns PJ is what we are looking for as a starter, but I believe at worst he can provide useful rotational minutes.  I'm expecting him to revert back to what he was prior to this year, which would make him another asset we can flip later as needed.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:49 PM)omahen Wrote: I wonder if Mavs will change offense in any way after the TDL. Limiting PJ to catch and shoot threes or attacking close-outs doesn't seem to be best way to utilize his offense. I hope he can be good in a short roll when Luka is doubled, because GWill was terrible doing it. Will we see some post ups? I didn't really saw him much, but he did seem like a guy that can punish smaller guys.

He is a face up player. Think more catch on the short roll than post up. He will also instantly be better at attacking closeouts than anyone on the team not named Kyrie Irving.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:32 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: . . . PJ 6th man on a tanking team. If PJ doesn't improve the Mavs are in trouble.

Not really. 73 starts last season. 61 starts in 20-21. 57 starts as a rook in 19-20. Obviously disgruntled this year because the Hornets played hardball on his RFA contract. Between 34.8% and 38.6% shooting the long ball before this year’s regression. Always on 4.0 or more attempts per game. Reverting to form will be good enough to be worth his team-friendly contract. But at age 25, sure, he’s pretty likely to improve.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:23 PM)mvossman Wrote: Gafford was not even trade eligible during the KP trade, and obviously not interchangeable with the albatross Bertans.

Maybe you are right about Gafford, but I remember putting it into a trade machine at the time and it worked. Maybe Washington insisted on Bertrans, but it wasnt such a big difference in terms of role they played at the time.

Bullock I dont care about. Its the fact we gave Bullock AND a PICK SWAP for WILLIAMS, and 6 months later we are giving Williams and a FIRST ROUND PICK, for a player, who might turn out to be just as usefull as Williams.

In some companies, you would get fired for doing business like this.
I am optimistic and hope for the best, but no need to do mental gymnastics to convince yourself this is a good deal for Mavs.  If you look at it from a neutral point of view its just incompetent front office work, that has been going on for 15 years.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 07:09 PM)The Jom Wrote: Not really. 73 starts last season. 61 starts in 20-21. 57 starts as a rook in 19-20. Obviously disgruntled this year because the Hornets played hardball on his RFA contract. Between 34.8% and 38.6% shooting the long ball before this year’s regression. Always on 4.0 or more attempts per game. Reverting to form will be good enough to be worth his team-friendly contract. But at age 25, sure, he’s pretty likely to improve.

Williams is younger than PJ and we were sure that he would improve...
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 06:23 PM)mvossman Wrote: PJ and Gafford are good young players on good contracts.  If we want to make a big trade this coming offseason, they will probably be worth in the ballpark of the draft capital we just spent.
Also this...
Hope you are right, but again a fans optimistic point of view.
Experience shows, we will probably be attaching 2 second round picks to PJ to trade him for Naz Ried or something similar about a year from now.
Again. I like Gafford, I am not so sure about PJ, but my opinion is Mavs didnt move much up with this 2 trades. Its a linear trade at a cost of loosing more draft capital, that is now close to 0. As in last 5 years Mavs are taking gambles in hopes, one of the players will have a breakthrough and his value would increase significantly. Newsflash, it doesnt work 95% of the time. Maybe Exum, but he was good for like 5 games before he went down.
Like Reply