Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: PJ Washington+ 2 2nds To DAL | G. Williams+ Curry+ 2027 FRP (top 2 protected)
Will need to watch Washington with the Mavs. Can he do the small things really well? I really don't want to see him taking a ton of threes...just like Jones Jr when he is wide open. You can see from the highlights he is a much more fluid athlete than Grant. While he is not really that much taller, he feels bigger too.

Can he be an above average defender? That and how he does the little things will probably decide if this trade was worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHIdccMlfS8
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 03:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, the reality of their remaining trade power puts a pretty depressing filter on today's events for me.

Yeah. Whenever something potentially good happens, I like to focus on what could go wrong.

Keeps me away from irrational exuberance.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 03:56 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Yeah. Whenever something potentially good happens, I like to focus on what could go wrong.

Keeps me away from irrational exuberance.

I can understand the inclination to avoid that approach from a FAN'S perspective, and you're right that I'd probably view the team more positively more often if I did, but surely, you're intelligent enough to realize that the people actually getting PAID by the Mavericks to make these decisions ABSOLUTELY should be considering everything that could wrong, right? I mean, them not doing that is pretty much what has us wondering if this is a playoff team 6 years into Luka's career, yeah?
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I don't think the draft ramifications will be  as bad as some may think. I don't think we were every going to win a war of the deciding factor was how many 1st can you bring to the table. The Okc's of the world can through 5 out. If a player wants to come here, I think 2 1st plus Tim's expiring plus your choice of some promising young guys (Green, Omax, Pj, Hardy,Gafford) and the 4 2nds will be attractive in the summer especially if the trading teams goal is to rebuild on the fly. Not to mention Nico literally got 2 1st including the draft (Omax) and this trade dead line (OKC deal). I think if a another 1st is needed it can be gained with the players we have. I'm really happy with the dead line moves. I think a lot of goals were accomplished and we're still in a place of flexibility going forward.
[-] The following 4 users Like DirkDonZingis's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Smitty, The Jom, Winter
Like Reply
Seems like the consensus is that today's trades raise the Mav's overall talent level. Championship level? That is TBD, but at least they are not rolling out the same 5 and expecting better results.

Are these Nico deals or the other guy they brought in (I can't remember his name)?

Whichever, I applaud the effort to try and get incrementally better while not sinking every thing into one big move.
[-] The following 5 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, Reunion Mav, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:28 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Seems like the consensus is that today's trades raise the Mav's overall talent level. Championship level? That is TBD, but at least they are not rolling out the same 5 and expecting better results.

Are these Nico deals or the other guy they brought in (I can't remember his name)?

Whichever, I applaud the effort to try and get incrementally better while not sinking every thing into one big move.
This. I was pretty afraid they were gonna get the 3 FRPs and trade them for Jerami Grant in the offseason.

BTW, the pick count this offseason is 2 FRPs and 5 SRPs. 2 SRPs from the SA deal, 2 from the Cha deal and 1 becoming available when the 24 is conveyed to NYK (our 25).
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:45 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This. I was pretty afraid they were gonna get the 3 FRPs and trade them for Jerami Grant in the offseason.

BTW, the pick count this offseason is 2 FRPs and 5 SRPs. 2 SRPs from the SA deal, 2 from the Cha deal and 1 becoming available when the 24 is conveyed to NYK (our 25).

So you are a fan of today's moves, then?
Like Reply
We are slowly becoming the bargain bin Thunder. Collecting all the SRPs!
[-] The following 3 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:28 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Are these Nico deals or the other guy they brought in (I can't remember his name)?

Dennis Lindsay. 

My guess is that they're both on a committee that includes Mark Cuban.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:45 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This. I was pretty afraid they were gonna get the 3 FRPs and trade them for Jerami Grant in the offseason.

Grant is miles better player than PJ, though
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Dennis Lindsay. 

My guess is that they're both on a committee that includes Mark Cuban.

... but, all the moves that work out well, we credit to Lindsay.  

As opposed to all the moves that don't work out.  Clearly Cuban.

(02-08-2024, 04:48 PM)omahen Wrote: Grant is miles better player than PJ, though

Bridges?
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:48 PM)omahen Wrote: Grant is miles better player than PJ, though

Hmmm....I agree, but I don't think PJ is what he'll be yet. Wheras Grant I think has passed the ideal version of himself by. 

I'm not 100% sure I'll prefer Grant in 1-2 years.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: So you are a fan of today's moves, then?
On the surface I think it was equal value (our bad contracts have to cost us). Time will tell if they were the right move. 

One thought being floated around on Discord is that maybe GWill was starting to become a nuisance in the lockerroom. Only evidence is the early Luka comment about him “maybe” being too vocal. That “too vocal” is fine when producing like he was early season, maybe not so much since.

If it was a situation where we kinda had to get off GWill for Luka’s sanity, that explains the POSSIBLE overpayment. 

I also was obviously not as attached to the 27 as most of you guys. Top 2 protected (looks like it doesn’t convey at all if we actually do pick top 2 as well) with 2 SRPs back is some serious nitty gritty negotiating IMO.

I very seriously doubt it, but maybe.
[-] The following 3 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, The Jom
Like Reply
I've looked into what Charlotte fans say about Washington and what Wizards fans say about Gafford. I sure hope the Charlotte fans are wrong about Washington. I'm hearing he's fat, lazy, doesn't play defense, and his three ball keeps getting worse and worse, they wonder if he might be more motivated for the Mavs but they hope the door doesn't hit him on the ass on the way out. Washington fans seemed to actually like Gafford, though. I guess we'll see when we see these guys in action, I'm assuming they're not available tonight
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 05:15 PM)MrGoat Wrote: I've looked into what Charlotte fans say about Washington and what Wizards fans say about Gafford. I sure hope the Charlotte fans are wrong about Washington. I'm hearing he's fat, lazy, doesn't play defense, and his three ball keeps getting worse and worse, they wonder if he might be more motivated for the Mavs but they hope the door doesn't hit him on the ass on the way out. Washington fans seemed to actually like Gafford, though. I guess we'll see when we see these guys in action, I'm assuming they're not available tonight

If they think Washington is fat and lazy, I doubt they’ll be happy with Williams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
Another bad day for Mavericks.
Gafford could be got in Porzingis trade, instead of Bertrans.
Mavs traded Bullock and a swap 2030 away to get Grant Williams just to trade Williams few months later for PJ Washington with another FIRST ROUNDER!
And PJ is basically a bit better version of Williams albeit a bit taller. By the start of next season, everybody here will be screaming how horrible he is.
Solid players and I like them, but we again traded for two men who belong on 7,8th place in a roster and dont move Mavs up in standings. Should have stood pat in this trade deadline, but I guess panic is setting in. Luka probably has his luggage packed at the door, just waiting for Miami to call.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 05:15 PM)MrGoat Wrote: I've looked into what Charlotte fans say about Washington and what Wizards fans say about Gafford. I sure hope the Charlotte fans are wrong about Washington. I'm hearing he's fat, lazy, doesn't play defense, and his three ball keeps getting worse and worse, they wonder if he might be more motivated for the Mavs but they hope the door doesn't hit him on the ass on the way out. Washington fans seemed to actually like Gafford, though. I guess we'll see when we see these guys in action, I'm assuming they're not available tonight

https://youtu.be/GAhia6LzRqQ?si=U9t081I8s1mavaRW

Here’s a pretty informed CHA fan who doesn’t fit your narrative.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:50 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: ... but, all the moves that work out well, we credit to Lindsay.  

Past history suggests that that is pretty accurate.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 04:50 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: ... but, all the moves that work out well, we credit to Lindsay.  

Hard to deny that there has been a change of approach since Lindsay joined the front office.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, MFFL, mvossman
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 05:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: https://youtu.be/GAhia6LzRqQ?si=U9t081I8s1mavaRW

Here’s a pretty informed CHA fan who doesn’t fit your narrative.
Pajamas is a pretty good nickname.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply