Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: PJ Washington+ 2 2nds To DAL | G. Williams+ Curry+ 2027 FRP (top 2 protected)
I am fine with this deal. GW contract is gone. We have kept our young guys. If they continue to develop we can keep them or flip them for picks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 02:06 PM)Kidnova Wrote: He'll also get the typical benefit of a lot of open looks playing next to Luka and Kyrie.

As I’ve mentioned a couple times previously, a friend of mine who works in downtown Charlotte met PJ at his restaurant after a game last November. He said he almost ended up in Dallas this past summer and he would be excited to go there, as he is from Dallas.

So hopefully we’ll get a happy and motivated PJ!!
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 5 users Like OBX Maverick's post:
  • Kidnova, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
FGump clarified this I think in the other thread but I think this is a 3 teamer between Dallas Charlotte and OKC. OKC gets Hayward and sends Dallas 2024 while Dallas sends 2027 to Charlotte and gets PJ.

So Mavs end up with 4 2nds to trade.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 02:17 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: FGump clarified this I think in the other thread but I think this is a 3 teamer between Dallas Charlotte and OKC. OKC gets Hayward and sends Dallas 2024 while Dallas sends 2027 to Charlotte and gets PJ.

So Mavs end up with 4 2nds to trade.

I would say it almost has to be a three team trade as we’ve yet to hear what Dallas is sending to OKC for the 1st.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 02:27 PM)OBX Maverick Wrote: I would say it almost has to be a three team trade as we’ve yet to hear what Dallas is sending to OKC for the 1st.

A simplified version of the Cha trade:
Cha: GWill, 2027, OKC salaries
Dal: PJ, OKC 2024, 2 SRP
OKC: Hayward
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 02:29 PM)omahen Wrote: A simplified version of the Cha trade:

Is this really true?  Did we just use a lightly protected first round pick to get off two bad contracts and add PJ, Gafford and 2 SRPs?
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 02:27 PM)OBX Maverick Wrote: I would say it almost has to be a three team trade as we’ve yet to hear what Dallas is sending to OKC for the 1st.

Dallas doesn't/didn't have to send anything to OKC to get their first if this was a 3 team trade. 

But Ben Rogers said that the Mavs might have done a pick swap with OKC.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
The more I think about it, the more OK with it I get.

I hate wasting draft capital, and it’s tough to argue that they aren’t still doing that, between the swap to dump Bullock, the swap to get Williams and now this (only top-2 protected!!!) pick. That’s three pretty significant draft assets with only one marginally significant player asset ending up here as a result. Getting the two seconds back lessens the sting just a bit.

But, as excited as I was about Grant Williams in theory, the reality was that he showed up out of shape and had clearly lost a lot of confidence. Fat, slow, and offensively limited is something the Mavericks don’t need more of. I think his defense would’ve been probably a little better than Washington’s if/when he ever got in shape, but I’m pretty pissed off that he put us in a position to have to wonder when that would be. From my perspective getting rid of that contract so quickly is a plus. My guess is that he will really start mailing it in now that he is a Charlotte Hornet, and we might never hear another thing about him.

I am delighted that Williams, not green, and not Hardaway, was the main component of the trade. I know some people would probably have preferred Hardaway going out, but it really can’t be argued that he’s having a good season and Williams is not.
Like Reply
Question for the better informed posters...

Does the acqusition of Gafford (6' 10") and Washington (6' 7") do enough to address the length issue that has plagued DAL this year. Will then now be big enough to match up with MIN, DEN, PHX and OKC? Especially if Maxi is fully recovered from whatever was wrong to start the season?
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 02:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The more I think about it, the more OK with it I get.

I hate wasting draft capital, and it’s tough to argue that they aren’t still doing that, between the swap to dump Bullock, the swap to get Williams and now this (only top-2 protected!!!) pick. That’s three pretty significant draft assets with only one marginally significant player asset ending up here as a result. Getting the two seconds back lessens the sting just a bit.

But, as excited as I was about Grant Williams in theory, the reality was that he showed up out of shape and had clearly lost a lot of confidence.  Fat, slow, and offensively limited is something the Mavericks don’t need more of. I think his defense would’ve been probably a little better than Washington’s if/when he ever got in shape, but I’m pretty pissed off that he put us in a position to have to wonder when that would be. From my perspective getting rid of that contract so quickly is a plus. My guess is that he will really start mailing it in now that he is a Charlotte Hornet, and we might never hear another thing about him.

I am delighted that Williams, not green, and not Hardaway, was the main component of the trade. I know some people would probably have preferred Hardaway going out, but it really can’t be argued that he’s having a good season and Williams is not.

Am I missing something or wasn’t the swap to dump bullock the same swap that got us GWill?
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 02:31 PM)mvossman Wrote: Is this really true?  Did we just use a lightly protected first round pick to get off two bad contracts and add PJ, Gafford and 2 SRPs?

Not sure GW could be just considered a bad salary yet. Sure he has a bad season, but still young.

The deal looks good on paper, but guys will have to show now. If this turns into yet another GWill situation, it will be much harder to correct the mistake. A gamble that likely makes Mavs better now, but probably not good enough yet. Still missing that third best player
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 02:33 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Question for the better informed posters...

Does the acqusition of Gafford (6' 10") and Washington (6' 7") do enough to address the length issue that has plagued DAL this year. Will then now be big enough to match up with MIN, DEN, PHX and OKC? Especially if Maxi is fully recovered from whatever was wrong to start the season?

It gives them little more flexibility in how to play big, sure. The biggest change, size wise, is probably just that you’re going to see 48 minutes of center play most nights. I would imagine Dallas will out rebound most teams‘ bench units, at least. 

In terms of their best lineup, I don’t think it changes their size all that much. It might make them a little bigger than the reality of what they have been, but essentially they have just become as big as they would have been had Grant Williams been the starting and closing player they expected.

You’re looking at Lively, Luka, Kyrie and some combo of Washington, Green, Exum and DJJ closing games.
Like Reply
Still no real clarity about what we did with OKC, tbh.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 02:29 PM)omahen Wrote: A simplified version of the Cha trade:
Dal: PJ, Gafford , 2 SRP
OKC: Hayward, DAL pick swap
Wizards: OKC 2024, Holmes

More like this
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 02:34 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Am I missing something or wasn’t the swap to dump bullock the same swap that got us GWill?

It’s more likely that I missing something, so that is better. Still, I don’t like it.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 02:31 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Dallas doesn't/didn't have to send anything to OKC to get their first if this was a 3 team trade. 

Yeah, I get that. I was referring to the fact that if they had traded straight up with OKC there would have had to be something outgoing. 

However, the pick swap might be what was “sent out” regardless.
Like Reply
So we’re basically looking at GWill/Seth/Holmes/27 for PJ/Gafford/2 SRPS? That feels like a fantastic deadline in my opinion, I wasn’t as married to the 27 pick as some others knowing two more are coming this offseason and if this doesn’t work it means we’re trading Luka for every FRP we can find.
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • BigDirk41, The Jom
Like Reply
Not good, if pick swap had to be included. Less and less assets to do something significant.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 02:33 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Question for the better informed posters...

Gafford helps a ton. Dallas now has two legit centers. PJ is a little undersized for a PF, but he's a little bigger and definitely more athletic than GWill. So the trades don't immediately solve every problem, but they're a big step forward in the frontcourt.
Like Reply
Also, someone was mentioning that PJ is essentially the same height as GW. However PJ has a wingspan of about 7’3” while GW’s is 6’10”
[-] The following 3 users Like OBX Maverick's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, The Jom
Like Reply