Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 45: Dallas Mavericks (24-20) vs. Atlanta Hawks (18-26)
Shout out to THJ for being a good teammate and trying his hardest to send this one to OT so Luka could score more points.
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 09:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Luka really showed me something tonight.

He had all the reason in the world to hunt shots down the stretch of this game, but to his credit, once Atlanta started doubling and trapping, he did not force things. There was one three pointer in the corner that I thought he forced, but other than that, I thought he made the right basketball play every single freaking time. In fact, there was one pass to Josh Green in the paint that I thought was a lower percentage play that Luka just shooting himself. My goodness, possessions, like that one, where he threw the extra pass to Exum above the break for the dagger three… there were just so many of those tonight.

Once in a generation performance.

Agreed.  Almost every other player would have just jacked up 40 ft jumpers but Luka chose to make the higher percentage pass. 

I've never seen a greater performance by a Dallas Maverick.

I will remember this game as it was so much fun to watch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
That look on Luka's face when he forgoes an easy bucket to add to his point total by dishing it to Green for an even easier layup...only for Green to fubar the whole thing.
Like Reply
I thought it was cool how many Atlanta fans were genuinely clapping and appreciative of Luka's performance.  It's good to recognize and appreciate greatness even when it's occurring against your team.  I also enjoyed Trae Young's genuine show of happiness for Luka.  I enjoy watching Trae Young play and he seems like a decent guy off the court.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
What a historical performance. Amazing.

Green continues his solid play. Some really good games, some average. No stinkers though. Good having Exum back and Lively was solid.

I have to ask /something is broken with our defense. We are not a good defensive team. We have guys like Green, Exum, jones and lively who play hard. But it just seems like a drive or one pass and the defense completely busts open. Something is not right there. Some of it can be put off on poor defenders but they can’t be this poor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • youzigizag
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 09:43 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Shout out to THJ for being a good teammate and trying his hardest to send this one to OT so Luka could score more points.

wow that would have pissed me off if the game went to overtime.. but then luka could've had extra 9 points to beat kobe's 81
Like Reply
Just like I told you, Luka and Holmes are going to be a killer combo. Combined for 77 tonight.
[-] The following 10 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, MFFL, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, surfpuckmd, youzigizag
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 09:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: What a historical performance.  Amazing.

Green continues his solid play.  Some really good games, some average.  No stinkers though.  Good having Exum back and Lively was solid.

I have to ask /something is broken with our defense.  We are not a good defensive team.  We have guys like Green, Exum, jones and lively who play hard.  But it just seems like a drive or one pass and the defense completely busts open.  Something is not right there.  Some of it can be put off on poor defenders but they can’t be this poor.

Coach needs to change his name to Jason Ki because he certainly doesn't know what a d looks like
[-] The following 5 users Like Branduil's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 09:50 PM)Branduil Wrote: Coach needs to change his name to Jason Ki because he certainly doesn't know what a d looks like

Yes, it’s either a bad scheme in general or a bad scheme for this team.
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 09:56 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes, it’s either a bad scheme in general or a bad scheme for this team.

I think it's a bad scheme which is even worse than normal with this team.

I also think Kidd is completely checked out on doing any serious coaching at all.
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 09:58 PM)Branduil Wrote: I think it's a bad scheme which is even worse than normal with this team.

I also think Kidd is completely checked out on doing any serious coaching at all.

At least Kidd admitted it in his post presser...

"Luka is the system"
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 06:02 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Young, Capela, and our very own Wes Matthews are available for the Hawks.

Need a Luka masterclass to have a shot

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN, WE HAD OURSELVES A LUKA MASTERCLASS

[Image: 1751075874403705292.jpg?ex=65c6e70c&is=6...height=676]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I hope omahen didn’t miss this one
[-] The following 3 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 09:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Luka really showed me something tonight.

He had all the reason in the world to hunt shots down the stretch of this game, but to his credit, once Atlanta started doubling and trapping he did not force things. There was one three pointer in the corner that I thought he forced, but other than that I thought he made the right basketball play every single freaking time. In fact, there was one pass to Josh Green in the paint that I thought was a lower percentage play than Luka just shooting himself. My goodness, possessions like that one where he threw the extra pass to Exum above the break for the dagger three… there were just so many of those tonight.

THIS 100x OVER!!!!!!!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Just watched the highlights. 

Despite some incredible three-point shooting by Atlanta in the fourth, Dallas held them off.
Like Reply

He had all the reason in the world to hunt shots down the stretch of this game, but to his credit, once Atlanta started doubling and trapping he did not force things. There was one three pointer in the corner that I thought he forced, but other than that I thought he made the right basketball play every single freaking time. In fact, there was one pass to Josh Green in the paint that I thought was a lower percentage play than Luka just shooting himself. My goodness, possessions like that one where he threw the extra pass to Exum above the break for the dagger three… there were just so many of those tonight.

But not by trapping Luka, lol. They only tried that once, and it resulted in the widest open three I’ve ever seen in my life.

It really was impressive to watch him just keep making winning plays.  That was a masterclass and a joy to watch.  

They’ve been hard to watch at times and I’ve been down on them.  Luka gave everyone a show tonight.  Hope they can build off this.
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 10:08 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I hope omahen didn’t miss this one

Of course I didn't, I watch all Mavs games Smile I always start watching a bit later so I can skip all the timeouts and free throws
[-] The following 4 users Like omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 09:47 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: What a historical performance.  Amazing.

Green continues his solid play.  Some really good games, some average.  No stinkers though.  Good having Exum back and Lively was solid.

I have to ask /something is broken with our defense.  We are not a good defensive team.  We have guys like Green, Exum, jones and lively who play hard.  But it just seems like a drive or one pass and the defense completely busts open.  Something is not right there.  Some of it can be put off on poor defenders but they can’t be this poor.

Awesome offensive performance by Luka, obviously. Exum looked much better in his second game after his injury, which gives me hope.

But, Mavs are not going to win a lot of games playing this way. Defense is beyond bad lately. I quoted you because you made a very good point about their defense, something just doesn't look right. I know very well Luka is usually not a very good defender, saving his energy on that end. He didn't play defense at all this game and I can't even blame him too much about it, since he had to do a lot on offense. But can't say it is just on him. Defense is just falling apart on all ends.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Branduil
Like Reply
Mavs shot 54 % from three, 60 % from the floor yet barely won. It was fun watching it for sure Smile
Like Reply
(01-26-2024, 09:02 PM)donzingis38 Wrote: imagine luka gets 81 on kobe's death anniversary.. let it be tonight

Fuck that rapist. 

But congrats to Luka!
Like Reply