Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ideal roles for the current roster
(04-12-2024, 04:06 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: The third creator issue is pretty simple, and it's Kyrie - have his "injury struggles" over the years been real struggles, or just his way of taking personal vacations? If the latter, bad for his character, and great for us - he certainly won't be taking vacations during this run, as he very obviously believes in the team. If his past fragility has been genuine, the Mavs are likely screwed with regard to a deep playoff run, unless we get really, really lucky in that respect.

As far as Exum and contract, I would say that, were he a one-year like DJJ, any team that wouldn't offer him north of the MLE this summer didn't watch the Mavs play this year. If he has as good of a year or better next year, he'll be a $15 AAV man at least.

He has known injury concerns, has no history (as you pointed out), and has scored less than 8 points a game this season.  That is not the resume of somebody getting more than MLE.  He has been great for us but I don't think he has the resume (or youth) to get a big pay day right now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(04-12-2024, 01:59 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Contenders generally have three guys who can create their own shot...

I guessed at the question below, looked it up and got it wrong.

Who was the third scorer for the 2011, NBA champs, Dallas Mavericks? One hint: He was the third scorer in the regular season and the post season (excluding players traded midseason).

AND DON'T LOOK IT UP!
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-13-2024, 01:33 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I guessed at the question below, looked it up and got it wrong.

Who was the third scorer for the 2011, NBA champs, Dallas Mavericks? One hint: He was the third scorer in the regular season and the post season (excluding players traded midseason).

AND DON'T LOOK IT UP!

Before looking, I'm going to guess Kidd.
Like Reply
I'll give it a little while to see if anyone else wants to guess.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-13-2024, 01:57 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Before looking, I'm going to guess Kidd.

Ugh, no, it was my second choice, Shawn Marion. 

However, the Mavs don't make it to the Finals without JJB - who was definitely a third guy who could create his own shot. Kidd could do it to some extent as well.
Like Reply
(04-13-2024, 01:59 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Ugh, no, it was my second choice, Shawn Marion. 

However, the Mavs don't make it to the Finals without JJB - who was definitely a third guy who could create his own shot. Kidd could do it to some extent as well.

Dude, you didn't let anyone else guess.  Sad

2011 creators: JKidd, JJB, and the gravity of Dirk
2024 creators: Luka, Kyrie, Exum, the short roll pass

2011 scorers: Dirk, Terry, everyone else
2024 scorers: Luka, Kyrie, the center position, everyone else

The board likes to compare the Mavs to the ideal. I get that. Neither the 2011 nor 2024 Mavs really fit the ideal. I haven't done a deep dive into this next thing, but I wonder how often NBA champs in general fit the ideal.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Interesting looking back that Marion didn't hit a single 3 pointer during the Title run
Hit 5 during the regular season

Different era for sure
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply