Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm out on the 2023-24 season ....
(01-25-2024, 06:20 PM)MFFL Wrote: I disagree. I think Luka would have asked for a trade if Carlisle was still here.

Luka is well on his way to becoming a Harden-like headache. He wanted a player friendly coach so we got Kidd. 

Fixing what KL said:

"if Carlisle had this TYPE of roster they would be a top 4 team in the West. 

Roster is flawed, but I think RC is good for a few more wins maximizing what he has. 
Now RC has a talented group of players in Indy, and a Luka-lite who listens to him, let's see how far he takes that squad.
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 06:20 PM)MFFL Wrote: I disagree. I think Luka would have asked for a trade if Carlisle was still here.

It's not about Carlisle. That's not the point.  I'm just saying, Carlisle (or another top level tactician) would have this team playing like a team by now. That's all. It's not about Carlisle, it's about Kidd. 

Kidd is the problem.
Like Reply
At least we are not the Knicks. 

Cry
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 09:57 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: At least we are not the Knicks. 

Cry

All those comments from salty Mavs fans about “Good luck to Brunson playing for an irrelevant franchise” not aging so well. 

The Mavs window closed when he left. (and more specifically walked for nothing)
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 06:53 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I want Luka to be unselfish and efficient like Dirk.  Jokic plays the way I want  Luka to play.

Yet I am fine if Luka never plays like those two.

When we only look through certain lenses we forget the times where Dirk was too unselfish for his own good. We forget how Dirk needed to go through a lot of lessons to push himself to be more of a killer. We forget how many times Jokic struggled. 

Luka, like his style or not, will not go out meekly. So when it doesn’t work one can complain about his style but you will never complain that Luka was invisible. So it is totally wrong to compare him with Harden whose numbers and even performance dipped the deeper he went.

Luka is a freak. Sometimes I feel offense is too easy for him. He can score 40 every night just staying near the free throw area and being highly efficient . Truly one of the most special offensive talents. His creativity and touch around the rim is just amazing. However he likes that three point shot off the dibble. What to do?  At first I bought the explanation that those shots open up the lane for him to drive. I no longer believe that. As mentioned he is a fantastic player close to the rim as well. Able to bully smaller players and. frustrate bigger players.

Luka is also a heckuva passer.  His creativity and strength to make passes to the opposite  side with zing is only matched by Bron. Even Jokic can’t do it off the dribble consistently like Luka does.

This is a special talent. He can be selfish but I would not compare him to Harden or anyone else. This is a totally unique offensive machine.

Enjoy this guy than pick aprt his warts. I don’t see him ending his career here. Hopefully he can carry the team to a couple of rings here. Hopefully he matures a bit more.  Don’t let any of that get in the way of just sitting back and flat out enjoying his talent.  Hopefully mgmt addresses a couple of other key issues so that the team around him is also better

Bump and I wish every post praising Luka is bumped here 

Love or hate his style of play, this guy is an absolute freak. 

Enjoy that he plays for your team. You want Jokic or SGA. I get it. There are plenty of other fan bases who will literally cry tears of joy if Luka joins their team. Enjoy his play as long as he is here and don’t take his tenure here for granted.
[-] The following 6 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • Branduil, DallasMaverick, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, SleepingHero, The Jom
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 06:53 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I want Luka to be unselfish and efficient like Dirk.  Jokic plays the way I want  Luka to play.

Yet I am fine if Luka never plays like those two.

When we only look through certain lenses we forget the times where Dirk was too unselfish for his own good. We forget how Dirk needed to go through a lot of lessons to push himself to be more of a killer. We forget how many times Jokic struggled. 

Luka, like his style or not, will not go out meekly. So when it doesn’t work one can complain about his style but you will never complain that Luka was invisible. So it is totally wrong to compare him with Harden whose numbers and even performance dipped the deeper he went.

Luka is a freak. Sometimes I feel offense is too easy for him. He can score 40 every night just staying near the free throw area and being highly efficient . Truly one of the most special offensive talents. His creativity and touch around the rim is just amazing. However he likes that three point shot off the dibble. What to do?  At first I bought the explanation that those shots open up the lane for him to drive. I no longer believe that. As mentioned he is a fantastic player close to the rim as well. Able to bully smaller players and. frustrate bigger players.

Luka is also a heckuva passer.  His creativity and strength to make passes to the opposite  side with zing is only matched by Bron. Even Jokic can’t do it off the dribble consistently like Luka does.

This is a special talent. He can be selfish but I would not compare him to Harden or anyone else. This is a totally unique offensive machine.

Enjoy this guy than pick aprt his warts. I don’t see him ending his career here. Hopefully he can carry the team to a couple of rings here. Hopefully he matures a bit more.  Don’t let any of that get in the way of just sitting back and flat out enjoying his talent.  Hopefully mgmt addresses a couple of other key issues so that the team around him is also better

Luka won Euroleague MVP at 19 years old while leading his team to a title. Some people think the problem is Luka and not the trashfire franchise he plays for, which had done nothing for 8 years before his arrival and has failed to build any kind of meaningful team around him since.

Would Luka be even better if he was more mature? Sure, just like MJ would have been even better if he wasn't an asshole, Lebron would be better if he had more of a killer instinct, etc. But ultimately if you can't win with those guys, that's on YOU, not a generational talent among the best to ever play the game.
[-] The following 7 users Like Branduil's post:
  • ballsrchr, hakeemfaan, Jmaciscool, Mavs2021, omahen, RGP1981, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I like the team around Luka. Do I really have to trash them to be a Luka fan?

The Aussies were really, really good tonight too. That Lively kid was superb. 5 blocks! Just hard to notice with ole 77 distracting the universe with splendor.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 3 users Like The Jom's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
That kind of game is actually a sign of weakness in the team, but, in the end, this is the entertainment business, and watching Luka is entertaining AF regardless of how good the team is or whether this overall roster has potential.
Like Reply
(01-27-2024, 03:14 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: That kind of game is actually a sign of weakness in the team, but, in the end, this is the entertainment business, and watching Luka is entertaining AF regardless of how good the team is or whether this overall roster has potential.

I would agree but for the fact scoring banana #2 is out with a bum wrist. If Luka and Kyrie post 73 points between em, we are happy. Luka just picking up that slack.
Like Reply
I'm just sad that F Gump quit watching the Mavs right before Luka's big game.

Sigh.
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • RGP1981, The Jom
Like Reply
It becomes more and more clear that losing Brunson for nothing is a franchise-destroying error they will never recover from. Even worse than losing Nash for nothing.
[-] The following 4 users Like Branduil's post:
  • BigDirk41, bodhisattva, rocky164, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I think I'm out. The reffing against us is getting out of control, no wonder we always have so many injuries. I pretty much missed the 2007 and 2008 seasons after my disgust with the refs in 2006 and I'm getting sick of watching it again. Ever since we traded for Kyrie we've gotten a pretty rotten whistle as a team, I don't think that's a coincidence
Like Reply
(02-03-2024, 11:46 PM)MrGoat Wrote: I think I'm out. The reffing against us is getting out of control, no wonder we always have so many injuries. I pretty much missed the 2007 and 2008 seasons after my disgust with the refs in 2006 and I'm getting sick of watching it again. Ever since we traded for Kyrie we've gotten a pretty rotten whistle as a team, I don't think that's a coincidence

They helped us get that 25-point lead then pulled the chair. It’s like watching the old WWF. Zero integrity. Hard to believe they think they can keep doing that with gambling becoming legal.
Like Reply
Luka scoring title is a big freakin deal and a good reason to watch. It would give Luka some career validation. Scoring titles are difficult to win and vindication for some offensive minded players who probably aren’t destined to win a title.
Like Reply
(02-05-2024, 12:45 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Luka scoring title is a big freakin deal and a good reason to watch. It would give Luka some career validation. Scoring titles are difficult to win and vindication for some offensive minded players who probably aren’t destined to win a title.

Not only the scoring title, 3rd in assists and almost doing a Pippen. Leads the team in points, rebounds, assists, steals and 3rd in blocks.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41
Like Reply
Bumping this just for fun after tonights game Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like bodhisattva's post:
  • DallasMaverick, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-10-2024, 06:26 PM)bodhisattva Wrote: Bumping this just for fun after tonights game Big Grin

Lmao. I'm back in on this season  Big Grin
Like Reply
Its one game, (I know we are winning a championship and stuff..) and I will reserve my judgement, but Mavs looked good.
Also are on a 4 game winning streak.
Also are amongst the teams with the easiest schedule remaining.
Stay healthy, win everything, climb to 5th or 6th spot, avoid play in and hope for the best match up in round one.
Maybe this season can be salvaged.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bodhisattva's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Next game is a Holmes revenge game, look out!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Might be time to revive this. This team is done. Put a fork in them. Play in is the best case scenario. They are going nowhere. They aren't even fun to watch right now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • SwisherPrice
Like Reply