Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm out on the 2023-24 season ....
(01-25-2024, 09:31 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: It seems like the first big domino that needs to fall is Kidd. Replacing him with the right guy won’t be easy

Disagree with this. Changes are needed, starting from the very top. The first big domino that needs to fall is Cuban. He needs to be removed completely from trying to put his imprint on the team. Or the Mavericks will simply be put through another variant of the same crapcycle again. Then they need to replace Cynth Marshall and Nico Harrison, who seem like training wheels attached to the Cuban crapcycle. Then they need to build up all departments related to basketball operations (scouting, analytics, player development and training) because all of them sukk. Then they need to rebuild the team around Luka and Lively.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 09:31 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: The players who have left Luka(KP, JB) have gone on to be some of the best players in the league. Why? 

I think the answer is pretty obvious in both cases. Both are playing a different role than they were playing in Dallas. Doesn't mean Luka was holding them back. 

Brunson went from secondary option to primary. He got more minutes, responsibility and shots and he kept the efficiency he had in Dallas. I wouldn't say he is any better player than he was with us. He got his team to run, lets see if he can make serious noise with it. 

KP went from primary option "wannabe" in Dallas to 3-5 option in Boston. Greatly optimizing his shot selection understandably making his numbers look better. He didn't want to accept a lesser role in Dallas, he said it himself in a very recent interview. Again, not much to do with Luka or his playstyle. KP could have floursihed as a PnR partner, but he wanted his post ups badly. He was also unavailable half of the time
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 10:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Can’t think that way, because all that will do is extend the time Kidd works here. 

I swear to God, if Carlisle had this roster they would be a top 4 team in the West. 

What do you want is not for the Mavericks to tank, you want Cuban to think they should be contending.
Right there with you. Rick has a brain much larger than Kidd. Oh how our fortunes could be different if Kidd was the original coach and then we brought in Rick. I wonder if Luka misses and has come to appreciate Rick. I’m at a loss on who it should be now that he’s gone
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 09:42 AM)omahen Wrote: I think the answer is pretty obvious in both cases. Both are playing a different role than they were playing in Dallas. Doesn't mean Luka was holding them back. 

Brunson went from secondary option to primary. He got more minutes, responsibility and shots and he kept the efficiency he had in Dallas. I wouldn't say he is any better player than he was with us. He got his team to run, lets see if he can make serious noise with it. 

KP went from primary option "wannabe" in Dallas to 3-5 option in Boston. Greatly optimizing his shot selection understandably making his numbers look better. He didn't want to accept a lesser role in Dallas, he said it himself in a very recent interview. Again, not much to do with Luka or his playstyle. KP could have floursihed as a PnR partner, but he wanted his post ups badly. He was also unavailable half of the time
We should have created that role for them here so they could flourish. KP admits some immaturity on his part. But if good players have little success in our system, yet great success on other teams……maybe we should scrap the Harden ball system Luka likes and run something that would benefit the TEAM and not just ONE player
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Kidd isn't great but at the end of the day the big problem has always been the same. We have a ton of good bench level players around our top talent. Green/Williams/Exum/DJJ/Maxi/Hardaway are all good NBA players but those are all second unit guys on a championship team and we 2 of them every night to be starting and closing games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 09:53 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: We should have created that role for them here so they could flourish. KP admits some immaturity on his part. But if good players have little success in our system, yet great success on other teams……maybe we should scrap the Harden ball system Luka likes and run something that would benefit the TEAM and not just ONE player

Is Kyrie suffering playing with Luka? Does his stats suffer? I can also very easily claim that Brunson had great success in our system, which enabled him to take next step. There can only be one primary option. Can't be two of them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
I'm not sure that i'm on team tank, just yet.

But i've switched sides on what i want for the trade deadline.

Before this week, I was on board with making small moves to help around the edges. Use an asset like Hardy or 2nd rounders to improve spots 7-9.

I would have been open to using a 1st rounder or THJ/Holmes to grab a guy like Grant, Kuzma, Gafford, etc.

But not anymore. A small upgrade will not put this team over the top. Why spend all your available assets on a guy like Grant and lose in the 2nd round vs. keeping this roster and losing in the 1st round.

Our big move needs to come in the off season when we have more draft capital and some of our contracts become more tradeable assets. I cant believe i just said that. But yes. Thats the route.

I'd even be open to becoming a seller if we could. I think its possible that we could have a better on-court product by getting rid of guys like THJ, Williams, Kleber. Maybe Josh Green too.
It wouldn't be selling to make the team worse, but it would be addition by subtraction. Open up more playing time for guys like O-Max, Hardy, Lawson. Maybe we can bring back a few young players when we shed the other guys.
Like Reply
What's the obsession with "getting this team over the top" the focus should be making this roster better. Making a trade, even one that includes our first round pick, that makes us better is most likely a step in the right direction assuming we aren't giving up too much in terms of basketball assets. It doesn't hinder our ability to make more moves this offseason/next season so why wouldn't we just keep building?

Also, there is no way in hell this team looks better by simply selling. If you want to load up minutes for OMax, Hardy and Lawson then get ready for some BAD basketball down the stretch.
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 12:18 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Also, there is no way in hell this team looks better by simply selling.  If you want to load up minutes for OMax, Hardy and Lawson then get ready for some BAD basketball down the stretch.

Selling THJ and giving his minutes to literally anyone else makes this team better. Timmy is the definition of a black hole.
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 12:45 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Selling THJ and giving his minutes to literally anyone else makes this team better. Timmy is the definition of a black hole.

While THJ can be frustrating his offense is usually the make or break in games that we are competitive.  If I give those minutes to Hardy, Green we will totally suck.  

We can see the nights that one of the big 2 is missing how offensively inept most of the roster is. At least THJ will put up points.  I am done with so called glue players like Green, Powell, GWill who don’t move the needle at all. At least THJ will move the needle on nights he is hot.
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 12:49 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: While THJ can be frustrating his offense is usually the make or break in games that we are competitive.  If I give those minutes to Hardy, Green we will totally suck.  

We can see the nights that one of the big 2 is missing how offensively inept most of the roster is. At least THJ will put up points.  I am done with so called glue players like Green, Powell, GWill who don’t move the needle at all. At least THJ will move the needle on nights he is hot.

You live by THJ, you die by THJ. He giveth then he taketh.

For me, the handful of big shots he makes on a nightly basis are not worth the handful he chucks at the absolute worst time. He's not a winning player. 

He' a black hole. He touches the ball on a possession, we all know what happens next. He shoots. Every time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nowitzki Way's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
We all love us some Dereck Lively, but it would have been nice if he could have grabbed more than 2 rebounds in 25 minutes last night.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 01:46 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: We all love us some Dereck Lively, but it would have been nice if he could have grabbed more than 2 rebounds in 25 minutes last night.

I've had these same thoughts.  Our team seems to grab the easy rebounds. Anytime a team has size or bulk on the floor, they easily get the majority of the boards unless they bounce straight too one of our guys. He have no one who boxes out with success. 

With Lively, he's 19. He's going to get bigger and stronger with age. That added bulk will do him wonders.
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 01:34 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: You live by THJ, you die by THJ. He giveth then he taketh.

For me, the handful of big shots he makes on a nightly basis are not worth the handful he chucks at the absolute worst time. He's not a winning player. 

He' a black hole. He touches the ball on a possession, we all know what happens next. He shoots. Every time.

I am not disagreeing about the type of player he is. All I am saying is that while efficiency is important it can’t be the only factor. Josh Green might be efficient but you are losing more games if you replace THJ’s minutes with Josh.  It sounds good on paper.  End of the day you need scoring as well because the league is a heavy scoring one these days.  Of course if we can find an efficient guy who can put up 20 pts every night that will be the best option.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 02:07 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote:   Of course if we can find an efficient guy who can put up 20 pts every night that will be the best option.

I think this is the solution. While Green or Hardy are inferior payers to Hardaway, his removal opens up the possibility for the offense to flow better.

The two guys mentioned above  probably cant bring that right now. So finding a THJ replacement, one more efficient, would be great.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nowitzki Way's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 02:07 PM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I've had these same thoughts.  Our team seems to grab the easy rebounds. Anytime a team has size or bulk on the floor, they easily get the majority of the boards unless they bounce straight too one of our guys. He have no one who boxes out with success. 

With Lively, he's 19. He's going to get bigger and stronger with age. That added bulk will do him wonders.

Success is a word with a range-y definition...

But watch OMax next time he gets minutes.   He is very active at finding a player on the other team and boxing out when a shot goes up.

Now...I dont know if there are rules to boxing out.   If you are faced with two opposing players...I assume you go for and try and box out the bigger player since he would have the best shot at a rebound.   If there are rules like that to boxing out....I dont know if OMax is passing tests.   I just know that he is active on box outs and not lazy.   He at least puts in an effort to find a body, get his buttox low and then seal the player out with his low butt and long arms.

He hasnt let me down yet when watching him.   Again...I dont know if that means he is winning the hearts of the coaches.   Maybe they see what I see but think he should be grabbing more boards instead of just showing a decent box out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Kevin Gray Jr. (@KevinGraySports)
Since their 8-2 start the Mavericks are:

16-18 over their last 34 games
20th in defensive rating
17th in offensive rating
20th in overall net rating at -1.5
22nd in FG%
23rd in 3PT%
27th in FT%
24th in RPG

Injuries & missed games have been a big factor for context #MFFL
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I was lukewarm on going all in with a Luka/Kyrie team for obvious reasons (ex: defense) but probably the biggest concern was the risk of going all in with 2 players who have always had durability concerns. Luka hasn't missed as many games so far this season compared to previous years but he's clearly been playing through injuries and probably hasn't been 100% since 2020. Kyrie is always going to miss a lot of games. The December injury due to Powell falling on him was just a freak accident but throughout his career, Kyrie has shown that he can't stay healthy anyway so he was bound to get hurt.

Durability is so important. That's how the Mavs were so consistent with Dirk and Jet playing 75+ games every year. When you don't have your best 2 players to get through an 82 game season, you're not going to win as many games and it's the difference between securing a Top-4 seed and barely hanging on for a playoff spot. And even if you make the playoffs, it's harder to advance far as a lower seed.

They're not the only team going through that risk with their top players (Clippers/Suns and previously the Nets when they had KD/Kyrie) but there's just very little margin of error.
[-] The following 4 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • BigDirk41, Nowitzki Way, RGP1981, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 05:10 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Kevin Gray Jr. (@KevinGraySports)
Since their 8-2 start the Mavericks are:

16-18 over their last 34 games
20th in defensive rating
17th in offensive rating
20th in overall net rating at -1.5
22nd in FG%
23rd in 3PT%
27th in FT%
24th in RPG

Injuries & missed games have been a big factor for context #MFFL

When Cuban announced the sale of the team on 11/29/23? the Mavs were 11-6.  They have since gone 13-14.

When the sale was approved by the other owners on 12/28 the Mavs were 18-13.  They have since gone 6-7.

The whole basketball universe has been turned upside down for the Mavs since those dates.  The basketball gods don't know how to handle the news of the sale of the team.  Because all they have heard from all the Mavs fans is the last few years "please Basketball God's let Cuban sell the team so we can get new owners.  Well, that happened, and the new owners defied history/logic of bring in their own people and retained Cuban and his MBT.

Injuries started to happen right after the turmoil news of Cuban keeping control.  Green on 11/30, Kyrie on 12/8 and Exum on 1/1 with some injuries to Luka and Lively that followed.  It hasn't been good, the Gods are still hearing cries from beloved Mavs fans, and they are confused.  

They answered our first cries for the sale of the team, and they delivered.  For them to help out now, I think will require an old-time biblical sacrifice at the foot of Dirk's statue.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 10:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Can’t think that way, because all that will do is extend the time Kidd works here. 

I swear to God, if Carlisle had this roster they would be a top 4 team in the West. 

What do you want is not for the Mavericks to tank, you want Cuban to think they should be contending.

I disagree. I think Luka would have asked for a trade if Carlisle was still here.

Luka is well on his way to becoming a Harden-like headache. He wanted a player friendly coach so we got Kidd. He wanted a costar who could play off of the ball so we got Kyrie. Cuban is a major problem because HE isn't going to confront Luka or tolerate a coach or player who does.

The culture here is JUST like it was in Houston and the result will be the same. The only way Luka will ever "grow up" is to join a culture that is stronger than Luka's wants.
[-] The following 2 users Like MFFL's post:
  • BigDirk41, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply