Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 40: New Orleans Pelicans (23-16) vs. Dallas Mavericks (23-16)
Get Dwight Powell some help. Cannot expect him to carry the team for the rest of the season. Tongue
Like Reply
More leaving DJJ unguarded, only in this game they’re sagging off once he gets the ball.
Like Reply
Goodness gracious. Maybe not leave Hawkins to double to give him a wide open three.

I don’t think we have it tonight. Pelicans much more sharper. Playing well.

Need out best closing 5 after the timeout to finish. Unfortunately we only have 3 players playing well.
Like Reply
Get the ball in the post. Valanciunas draws the double. Mavs bring the double from the top. One pass away. Leave the best shooter on the floor wide open. One simple play call has allowed the Pelicans to score at will. Obviously the Mavs aren't making and in game adjustments and just continue to walk into the same trap over and over again.
Like Reply
Grant is really strong but even at his best him with four small guys is a recipe for disaster.
Like Reply
Hate to say it, but good decision to get Williams off the floor.
Like Reply
@RoyTarpley…I think you have to stop watching games, my guy.
Like Reply
Pelicans have Mavs scrambling now and the big guy is cleaning everything up.

Pelicans offense looks great. Mavs have good shot makers but everything is being done on isolations, pelicans moving the ball and cutting Dallas up.

What a wild ride this team is. Can’t get a good feel for them with the team and players uneven performaces.
Like Reply
(01-13-2024, 10:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hate to say it, but good decision to get Williams off the floor.

Too late. Once again. I am not sure what Kidd is trying to prove. That the Mavs can overcome his minutes? -14.4 on/off for the season. Today the Mavs are -16 with him on the floor. +9 with Powell.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Valanciunas is being allowed to hide on DJJ.

Well, that’s probably game.

Very disappointing loss.
Like Reply
24pts on 8/10 shooting but it feels like DJJ is tanking the offense. Fourth game in a row where the opposing team simply isn't guarding him on the perimeter.

I hate that OMax is wasting away in the g-league when the Mavs are desperate for size and athleticism. There is no way that he is any worse than GWill in the same role.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Mavs2021
Like Reply
I think we are probably a play in team. Just can’t get sustained momentum. Followed two of the best wins of the season with two duds in this homestand. I have no confidence of them putting together a 6 plus game win streak.

Credit New Orleans. They were the better team tonight. Mavs continue their up and down. I am close to getting off the roller coaster ride for several of our players. These are the games you want to see some force.
Like Reply
Mavs beat a good NY team without Luka, and Lively. Pels flipped the script and won without their key guys, Zion, BI, and McCollum. Jordan Hawkins picked up the slack with 34 pts. Funny how that works sometimes.
Like Reply
A few thought on the game:

1) Pelicans are probably the line between a reasonably decent season and a failed season. That line is the 4th seed. Tonight’s loss was significant. Mavs must win the next one.
2) The Mavs lose way too many games at home to equal and inferior teams. Way too many.
3) Williams has been a shockingly bad acquisition. He’ll go down in the pantheon of worst acquisitions in Mavs history. Should have known not to go after rejects of competent organizations. The next stretch waive window can’t get here soon enough. He shouldn’t see the floor again this season except garbage time.
4) The Mavs need a new defensive philosophy. This style of let them drive by you as you hack them doesn’t work.
5) With 15 roster spots, why can’t the Mavs have 1 for a Boban style big brute; even if he doesn’t play much, sometimes, like tonight, you can use one.
6) The Mavs need more length.

Next game is as big as it gets for a game this time of year. Hope the Mavs show up with a better performance.
Like Reply
(01-13-2024, 11:01 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: A few thought on the game:

1) Pelicans are probably the line between a reasonably decent season and a failed season. That line is the 4th seed. Tonight’s loss was significant. Mavs must win the next one.
2) The Mavs lose way too many games at home to equal and inferior teams. Way too many.
3) Williams has been a shockingly bad acquisition. He’ll go down in the pantheon of worst acquisitions in Mavs history. Should have known not to go after rejects of competent organizations. The next stretch wave window can’t get here soon enough. He shouldn’t see the floor again this season except garbage time.
4) The Mavs need a new defensive philosophy. This style of let them drive by you as you hack them doesn’t work.
5) With 15 roster spots, why can’t the Mavs have 1 for a Boban style big brute; even if he doesn’t play much, sometimes, like tonight, you can use one.
6) The Mavs need more length.

Next game is as big as it gets for a game this time of year. Hope the Mavs show up with a better performance.

Luka will be back I'm pretty sure, maybe Lively. But probably the Pels 3 will be back as well. Mavs can't drop both games.
Like Reply
That was a back to back too wasn’t it. How do you get dominated in such an important game on your home court by an impaired team on a back to back? This Mavs are missing a chip.
Like Reply
I think there's a higher priority on dumping Grant Williams in trade than getting out of Holmes's contract, even. Holmes at least expires next year and can probably be dumped for a second, or as salary fodder.
Like Reply
I don’t think it’s a given that Williams will NEVER play well here, but I’ll admit he’s sure not playing well right now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(01-13-2024, 11:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don’t think it’s a given that Williams will NEVER play well here, but I’ll admit he’s sure not playing well right now.

He has been listed as questionable prior to the last few games so there is some hope that it is injury related.
Like Reply
I've tried to be a sunshine pumper for Grant, but the dude might be the worst player on the team. Even worse than Holmes.

He was brought in to shoot 3s, he's attempted less than 3 a game for the last month and is shooting a pitiful 26% on them.

He's made so many mistakes defensively rotation wise I'm shocked how he garnered a reputation on that end.

Perhaps it's the way Kidd is using him? I'm not sure. I don't know what happened to the guy. He literally looks like a fat version of Reggie Bullock last year. Those first 10 games he looked like a perfect fit. My emotions are telling me to bench him the rest of the year. Trade him for peanuts. I'm tired of seeing him play.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply