Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Mavs Trade Omax???
Lively, Green, Omax—as I imagine them fulfilling their potential—are such a fabulous fit for Kyrie and Luka. Perhaps I should add Hardy as an eventual replacement for Kyrie. Not sure about these proposals that let any of em go. Yes, Pascal projects as a much sooner Omax. But at the salary and he will command? At at the cost of these potential pieces? I just don’t know.

I like Pascal as a player. A lot. But if he’s a max contract this summer, I’m not sure he’s attractive at any price.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(01-13-2024, 07:57 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: After 30+ games, Omax has become less jumpy, it's obvious to me how nervous he was in the first few games, but as he adds to his experience he's getting more comfortable. He doesn't look helpful right now, but he's exactly the right kind of dude you invest on. The floor for him is a DFS with handles. I hope the Mavs put their foot down and say NO to inclusion of Omax for any of the names we talked for the PF upgrade.

Note: Thinking Siakam "could" sign here is just risky. But I'd be willing to part with a FRP + SRP + Hardy  for that risk, anything more, just walk away.

No Omax options:
1. THJ+Holmes+Hardy+FRP (initial offer)
2. THJ+GWill+Hardy+FRP (if Raps do not want Holmes)
3. THJ+Holmes+JG+SRP (if they're pushing for Green, counter with inclusion of Holmes and take away the first round pick)
4. THJ+GWill+Hardy+FRP+SRP (if they really do not like Holmes, just add an SRP to option 2. This is as far as the Mavs should go)

Omax option:
5. THJ+Holmes+Omax+SRP (Raps need to take Holmes with Omax and then replace the FRP with an SRP... they don't want it? Fine, let's end this talk)

That’s not his floor. Dorian has shot in upper 30s from 3 on decent volume for several years. It’s the same as with DJJ, if he doesn’t hit from 3 there will be a cap on his value
Like Reply
(01-13-2024, 08:12 PM)mvossman Wrote: That’s not his floor. Dorian has shot in upper 30s from 3 on decent volume for several years. It’s the same as with DJJ, if he doesn’t hit from 3 there will be a cap on his value

I'm saying floor in the sense that he has to only improve his 3 to be DFS.
It's a skill that's most attainable to him.
Like Reply
(01-13-2024, 12:59 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I enjoy Killer's schtick (or position) as much as anyone.  But the answer to your question is 'of course we can'.  In fact, OMax is far more logical as a trade chip for Siakam than guards like Green and Hardy.  Toronto has guards.  What they don't have is someone to replace Siakam and occupy that space between Poeltl and Barrett, Barnes, Quickly and presumably Hardaway.  The fact that OMax is Canadian is an added benefit.  But, if given the choice, I suspect Toronto would prefer Kuminga all things being equal.

That brings up an interesting comparison.  Kuminga is actually younger than OMax.  Pull up a highlight game of Kuminga and the best G-League highlights you can find of OMax.  The difference is pretty stark.  IF GS is considering Kuminga in a deal, we can certainly consider OMax.

I'm not gonna say OMax is untradable or anything like that, cause he's not, but there's a stark difference in the state of the Warriors/Mavs. Trading a young guy you don't want to wait to finish developing for a final few years of championship contention is what the Warriors will be doing for a final push at the end of Curry's career before they go into a full rebuild. It doesn't look like Kuminga/Moody are going to take over as #1/2 options anytime soon for Curry/Klay/Dray to take a backseat, definitely an indictment on Kerr and the Warriors org for being absolutely atrocious at developing their young talent over all of these years.
Is Siakam enough to make the Mavs an instant contender right now that you salvage the future? OMax is 4 years of a rookie deal and he should at minimum be a playoff rotation bench player very soon. His defense looks nba ready. I think his defense against the most recent Clippers game proved that to me, he was guarding Kawhi and holding up well. The guy that historically has shot like 75%+ fg% against the Mavs (only slightly exaggerating). Luka is 24, Curry is 35. Siakam could make the Mavs a strong contender right now, but is it better than just making smaller moves that don't cost OMax, and making a harder push in a year or 2, something like that. Just me but I'd probably rather go for some of the other smaller less big names just to get by right now and get some playoff exp for the young guys. Lively needs some exp but if he gets a few playoff series under his belt I feel like he'll be ready in a year or 2.
Like Reply
(01-14-2024, 01:15 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: I'm not gonna say OMax is untradable or anything like that, cause he's not

Ooof. I really hate to be a stickler, but the above is only technically true.  While there is no legal device in place deeming O-Max untradable, the Mavs, current holders of his contract, cannot trade him. I have forbidden it, which as we all know is binding for them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-14-2024, 01:15 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: I'm not gonna say OMax is untradable or anything like that, cause he's not, but there's a stark difference in the state of the Warriors/Mavs. Trading a young guy you don't want to wait to finish developing for a final few years of championship contention is what the Warriors will be doing for a final push at the end of Curry's career before they go into a full rebuild. It doesn't look like Kuminga/Moody are going to take over as #1/2 options anytime soon for Curry/Klay/Dray to take a backseat, definitely an indictment on Kerr and the Warriors org for being absolutely atrocious at developing their young talent over all of these years.
Is Siakam enough to make the Mavs an instant contender right now that you salvage the future? OMax is 4 years of a rookie deal and he should at minimum be a playoff rotation bench player very soon. His defense looks nba ready. I think his defense against the most recent Clippers game proved that to me, he was guarding Kawhi and holding up well. The guy that historically has shot like 75%+ fg% against the Mavs (only slightly exaggerating). Luka is 24, Curry is 35. Siakam could make the Mavs a strong contender right now, but is it better than just making smaller moves that don't cost OMax, and making a harder push in a year or 2, something like that. Just me but I'd probably rather go for some of the other smaller less big names just to get by right now and get some playoff exp for the young guys. Lively needs some exp but if he gets a few playoff series under his belt I feel like he'll be ready in a year or 2.

My casual fan opinion is to make a smaller move for a PF/C type player that definitely has more talent than our current roster offers(exception Lively). Not an All-Star or 20M+ guy...but a cheaper one that has more talent than our current players in that position. If you can do that at the TDL, and this move shows that if improved our team a good bit but not Championship improved....then I would be willing to empty the cupboard of our youth to land an expensive PF/C in the offseason.

Unless there is no one of Siakam ability coming to market anytime soon or no one that fits as well as Siakam coming available in the offseason.

Casual, spit ball opinion that is based on emotional attachment to OMax ha.
Like Reply
Whats the hype about this kid? Hes gonna be 22 this year and plays in g league. IF he would be talented he would be getting minutes in NBA. Lively is 19 and is a starter! If this guy would be any good he would be playing so why is he in the g league?
I really dont get this hype about rookies on this board. If a guy can play you see it right away, and he will get his minutes. Sure some develop and blossom later in their career, but its rare.
As far as I am concerned I am willing to include any of Green, Hardy and Omax in a trade for a guy like Siakam. Wouldnt even blink.

And Lively... I get this fanbase was starving 10 years for a guy over 7 feet, but he is not your savior. He is young, and maybe he will develop, but is way overhyped on this board at the moment. He can block, roll, dunk and jump. Gets pushed around by guys like Hachimura. Last time that i checked guys with limited skill set like him were on their way out of the league. He is basically a baby Drummond, so a dinosaur, useful for certain stretches and matchups, but all in all a backup big. I think he will end up 10-15pts/10reb guy. So basically Ayton, who cant shoot. Maybe he learns.
Dont get me wrong I prefer him waaaay more than frickin Powell, but I dont see a starting C on a championship team in 5 years. No way.
And its a testament how shitty organization Mavs are, since so much hype is generated after finally acquiring a basic 7ft big with a 90s skillset. There is a bunch of dudes like him on the benches all over NBA. It shouldnt take this long.
Like Reply
It’s a free country, Mr. Bodhisattva. I don’t find a single thing in your post I can agree with. And your opinion is welcome nonetheless. Trading Omax, however, has been forbidden.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 3 users Like The Jom's post:
  • ballsrchr, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Well boss lets hope I am wrong.
Like Reply
(01-14-2024, 10:43 PM)The Jom Wrote: Trading Omax, however, has been forbidden.

Thank you for spreading the truth.
Like Reply