Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 38: Memphis Grizzlies (13-23) vs Dallas Mavericks (22-15)
Just got beat, outhustled tonight.

These type of performances are popping up too much for my liking.

Luka wasn’t good but also most of the support players no showed tonight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Memphis is living in the paint, Mavs cranking up 3's that aren't falling.
Like Reply
I guess it looks good when they make em, but the no pass, no drive three point possessions are ugly when they don’t go in.
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 03:17 PM)omahen Wrote: Mavs will imho need to show their A game. Memphis always plays hard and might be additionally motivated for Ja.

Sad to say I was right Sad Memphis outhustled Mavs and their bad defense. Lay-up line whole game and it seemed like whenever they did miss, they collected the rebound.
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 10:44 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Felon Head Coach

Over-reliance on Luka and Kyrie, probably feels he doesn't have to coach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
What a world of a difference a player like Xavier Tillman can do for the Mavs

Mavs made him look like Moses Malone out there
Like Reply
Bet the Mavs thought this was would be a easy game with out Ja. Can't do that..
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
Green gets thrown out of balance by every little push and screen so easily and so completely. Even by guys like Kennard. Small ball units with bench guys killed us. Line-up with GW managed a -20 in just 7 minutes, which is very impressive. And it seems that whenever THJ was on the floor, Mavs were losing badly (-26). Luka didn't play well, but Mavs were just -14 in his 35 minutes. Kyrie played 40 minutes and Mavs were -2 in those, which means they basically lost by 20 in minutes he didn't play.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Chicagojk
Like Reply
Kyrie with 8 boards. That's leadership for you knowing the team is poor in rebounding, he tries to help whenever he can.
Luka's rebounding numbers have been slipping.
DP had one play he had the inside track for a rebound, loss to the short armed Bane.
Like Reply
Grizzlies the worst offense in the league. Sure enough they score more through 3 quarters than they have all season. Lively is a big deal. We need some new players. Grant Williams has been terrible

Having said that we are still in good position. Just need to work out some kinks. Need a good trade
Like Reply
Kidd is such a bad coach...I really don't see what he brings to the team at all. Great players make for terrible head coaches and GMs. He is only here because superstars will respect him but that alone isn't going to win championships. Coaching matters
[-] The following 2 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • BigDirk41, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
Green has been overrated as a defender..a simple cross and he is lost - does wild closeouts on shooters
I don't know what his saving grace is anymore - on offense he is very inconsistent, basketball IQ is not very good, and confidence is lacking.
He does get the occasional highlight and fastbreak layup..Exum has outperformed him significantly this season. He has stagnated as a player.
Like Reply
Kidd doesn't have anything going for them outside of Luk-Kai.

New PF needs to be either:
1. Dynamic in O, more than just a spot up shooter with decent D.
or
2. A muscle inside, can score and rebound down low, won't be pushed around and needs to at least capable of shooting the 3 (if needs to shoot one by necessity).
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 11:01 PM)omahen Wrote: Green gets thrown out of balance by every little push and screen so easily and so completely. Even by guys like Kennard. Small ball units with bench guys killed us. Line-up with GW managed a -20 in just 7 minutes, which is very impressive. And it seems that whenever THJ was on the floor, Mavs were losing badly (-26). Luka didn't play well, but Mavs were just -14 in his 35 minutes. Kyrie played 40 minutes and Mavs were -2 in those, which means they basically lost by 20 in minutes he didn't play.

The Josh Green thing is just perplexing.  You have a great performance, then an average one and then one where I debate who is to blame for his poor performance.   Just really odd.   I don't know if we have to put him in a better spot or if he just needs to burst through that wall himself.   Defense is an issue too though.   A nice play smattered with him giving up points or a good look.  I look at an undrafted guy like Vince Williams and his game feels much more advanced then year 4 of Green.  Just a wild roller coaster ride for him so far this year.  

Mavs have made Hardaway work.   He is important to this team.  I just can't get past though that this team will be in a better position when we move on from him and replace him with someone bigger.   He plays really hard, takes charges and scores.  I just feel like you would be in a better spot if you could get a comparable player who might not score as much but be more impactful.  Maybe I am wrong though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 11:08 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Kidd is such a bad coach...I really don't see what he brings to the team at all. Great players make for terrible head coaches and GMs. He is only here because superstars will respect him but that alone isn't going to win championships. Coaching matters

It's why I think the Mavs need another good player with good O.
Kidd relies on talent in O rather than plays or strategies.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • SwisherPrice
Like Reply
I would sit Luka for 2 weeks to allow him to get healthy and live with the results, win or lose. Then play Green big minutes to showcase him for a trade. It's clear he's a completely different player when Luka is out and he is more aggressive and can score at SG. He is just a poor fit playing SF with Luka and Kyrie and I don't think it's ever going to work out here in that role.
Like Reply
(01-09-2024, 11:20 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: It's why I think the Mavs need another good player with good O.
Kidd relies on talent in O rather than plays or strategies.

I feel like Kidd would even botch having a great roster. Even stacked teams needed great coaching. Phil Jackson coached MJ and Shaq/Kobe but he was also known for his triangle offense. A lot of people thought anyone could have done what Spoelstra did in Miami with their Big Three but it turns out he was actually a good coach as his resume has shown since then. Same with Lue and Kerr (although it's not looking so good for him now that his stars have gotten older but it was still a great run that anyone would want).

So it's still Super Team or Bust but I still wouldn't feel confident with Kidd in charge  Sad
[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
The most Maverick game of the year. Follow a big win against a top team with a blowout loss at home to a mediocre team missing its two best players and with its fourth best player knocked out just after half. NBA channel flashed an incredible stat. The Mav’s average margin of victory is about 14-15 points and their average margin of defeat is about the same. It’s the biggest differential in the NBA. I imagine by far. Games like the last two reveal their Jekyll and Hyde nature. Talented roster, but they lack professionalism. They lack coaching that holds them accountable. They show up and play hard when it suites them but at other times get blown out with regularity. The team has no home court advantage at all. They’re just as likely to sleepwalk through a game at home as on the road. It’s hard to understand. Maybe it has to do with the professionalism needed to get ready to play every night. They need to do more, including Luka, who can do more by doing less. He was off tonight but couldn’t really find another way to help the team. Given how Luka’s on court off court barely registers compared to other great players, I have to wonder if the coaching staff is maximizing his talent. Oh well, they’ll probably come back and play well against the Knicks. Organizational and Luka credibility demand it.
Like Reply
What an unacceptable loss.

How the hell does this team beat the best team in the West the previous game, and then lose to a statistically horrible Grizzlies team that lacked their top 2 guys? Shameful.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, RGP1981
Like Reply
I can understand to an extent. Mavs gave their max against Minny and were both physically and mentally tired against Grizzlies. Grizzlies on the other hand played like Mavs against Minny. Hustle and great wish to get a victory. I don't think it is lack of proffesionalism. Its just who they are. Fringe playoff team capable of some good and some bad games.
Like Reply