Poll: Will the Mavs make a trade before the deadline?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
52.94%
27 52.94%
No
47.06%
24 47.06%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
NBA Trade Rumors |
(01-24-2020, 11:10 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 08:51 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I dont see how Markkanen would hurt team chemistry. If anything, shouldn't you be more concerned with WCS hurting team chemistry? Markkanen has the best shooting stroke I've ever seen in a ~7 footer. I'm just talking mechanically. Mavs should still be in the talent acquisition business.

I doubt it's on the radar though with his injury and all the resources we have committed to bigs.

What I meant by team chemistry is that everyone is currently playing a role. And they are thriving in it. Our bench especially. Maxi, Seth, Brunson, Wright. Its working. Yes some are angling for more minutes but at the end of the day at least for this year our bench is clicking.

In the hypothetical trade, we blew up our bench and the roles they are playing to bring in Lauri. Thus shifting everyone's role midseason and would make them adjust to something new. Could it go smoothly and we get better? Sure. But how much better? The Mavs are on a 52 win pace, and that's with injuries to our best players. And it also could go horribly wrong and the wheels come off ala Rondo (not saying the same thing would happen, just saying the team would start to underperform). Is it worth to risk all of that for a guy like Lauri? I don't think so. That was my main point. I have no doubts that Lauri would thrive here and fit in culturally, but to torpedo our depth to bring him in is just not worth it.

Regarding WCS, I'm more worried about RC never playing him than him not fitting in with the team. Bringing him in was a precise move to fill a hole that opened up that we desperately needed. No one's roles are changing for WCS.

Two things: 1) If your last bit is true, then WCS's role is to replace Powell in the starting lineup. Fab! Love it! But he'll obviously get less minutes than Powell did because he doesn't know the system. 2) The Mavs don't have anywhere near the talent quotient to worry about disrupting the roles of bit players (btw, Delon Wright and Jalen Brunson, two members of the 8-man rotation post-Powell injury, would tell you that they have no idea what their roles on the team are) as an excuse to sour grapes talent acquisition. Lauri has the talent to be a top-100 player - perhaps more. If you can acquire him for peanuts, you do it. You're elephantizing this year's postseason when we are not contenders, period. We aren't tanking, but we are playing for the years beyond this one, 100%.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KellyIkoNBA/status/1...7358442496
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
What future picks can Houston even trade? Seems like Dork Elvis has traded his team to oblivion and has no more moves of significance to make.
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 07:27 AM)cow Wrote: What future picks can Houston even trade?  Seems like Dork Elvis has traded his team to oblivion and has no more moves of significance to make.
They still have their 2040 2nd available... Big Grin
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 10:31 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 07:27 AM)cow Wrote: What future picks can Houston even trade?  Seems like Dork Elvis has traded his team to oblivion and has no more moves of significance to make.
They still have their 2040 2nd available... Big Grin

I think Presti owns it, or am I confusing with Clippers?

Smile
Like Reply
Does anyone have a guess what would take to get Covington? Wright + Lee and a pick? Or would Wright be enough? I think this move single handedly improves us a lot. DFS is the weak link in this starting unit and DFS would push the bench to excel.

Luka
THJ
Covington
KP
WCS

You got there 3 excellent defenders. Elite rim protection. Luka and THJ also capable of defense from what we have seen lately. This would make us so so so much more a balanced team and ready for playoffs. Offensively, the scheme doesnt change at all. WCS can rim run, and Covington can shoot it even better than DFS.

bench improves as well, now Brunson can run the show and become the leader there:

Brunson
Curry
DFS
Maxi
Boban

This just fits. The skills of starters and skills of bench just fit so well here, its well balanced in terms of skills and everything.

That trade is one single move that can give Mavs the championship. The bench would start winning games for us, and our starters would play better D.
Like Reply
DFS = weak link? Are you kidding me? This year's numbers comparing board fav Robert Covington to Dorian F'ing-Smith:

Win shares: 2.3/3.1 (advantage DFS +0.8)
Off rating: 105/122 (advantage DFS +17)
Def rating: 107/112 (advantage RoCo -5)
Net rating -2/10 (advantage DFS +12)
3 pt %: 33.9/38.2 (advantage DFS +4.3)
PPG: 12.5/9.3 (advantage RoCo +3.2)
Shots PG: 10.3/7.1 (advantage DFS -3.2)
Points per shot: 1.2/1.3 (advantage DFS +0.1)
Effective FG%: 53.7/57.5 (advantage DFS +3.8)
RPG: 5.9/5.5 (advantage RoCo +0.4)
Assists: 1.2/1.3 (advantage DFS +0.1)
Steals: 1.6/0.7 (advantage RoCo +0.9)
Blocks: 0.9/0.5 (advantage RoCo +0.4)
Turnovers: 1.5/0.9 (advantage DFS -0.6)

These are remarkably similar players. But DFS is 3 years younger, 9 lbs thicker, and 7 million dollars less expensive.
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 03:46 PM)Jommybone Wrote: DFS = weak link? Are you kidding me? This year's numbers comparing board fav Robert Covington to Dorian F'ing-Smith:

These are remarkably similar players. But DFS is 3 years younger, 9 lbs thicker, and 7 million dollars less expensive.

We've been watching DFS all season. RoCo defends better on the perimeter to say the least. If you like DFS, which I do, he'll be even more effective coming off the bench.
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 11:50 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 03:46 PM)Jommybone Wrote: DFS = weak link? Are you kidding me? This year's numbers comparing board fav Robert Covington to Dorian F'ing-Smith:

We've been watching DFS all season. RoCo defends better on the perimeter to say the least. If you like DFS, which I do, he'll be even more effective coming off the bench.

DFS offensive efficient numbers are higher because he plays in a more efficient offense. 

RoCo is a better defender, DFS is actually an average defensive player he is no stopper that can guard opposing wings. 

Mavs need some to guard the Mitchell of the world at the end of games.
Like Reply
According to Brandon Robinson of Heavy.com, the veteran guard will work out with the Los Angeles Lakers next week. 
"There are no guarantees," a source said. "They want to see what he can do and if it is a fit, we'll take it from there."
Smith was waived by the Cleveland Cavaliers last July but hadn't played since the previous November, leaving the team after just 11 games last season.
Like Reply
(01-26-2020, 11:50 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: We've been watching DFS all season. RoCo defends better on the perimeter to say the least. If you like DFS, which I do, he'll be even more effective coming off the bench.

Defensively I agree, but I believe his offense will fall of a cliff playing with Brunson instead of Luka. No doubt RoCO is the guy to go for. They can play together too against small ball. C'mon Donnie, get it done. No other good 3&D wing seems to be available.

What about Rudy Gay? He's no defensive wing, but could help with depht and would be an upgrade over DFS.
Like Reply
(01-27-2020, 09:38 AM)aguiar95 Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 11:50 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: We've been watching DFS all season. RoCo defends better on the perimeter to say the least. If you like DFS, which I do, he'll be even more effective coming off the bench.

Defensively I agree, but I believe his offense will fall of a cliff playing with Brunson instead of Luka. No doubt RoCO is the guy to go for. They can play together too against small ball. C'mon Donnie, get it done. No other good 3&D wing seems to be available.

What about Rudy Gay? He's no defensive wing, but could help with depht and would be an upgrade over DFS.

Also Covingtons offense will explode playing with Luka. DFS is shooting open 3s all the time, its a luxury really. Given how open he is I am not sure he is that great a shooter.
Like Reply
I'd love to put a lineup around Luka with both DFS and Covington. Imagine that Utah game if instead of Seth or THJ getting roasted on D, we have Covington there and sacrifice no shooting.
Like Reply
(01-27-2020, 10:10 AM)matt6715 Wrote: I'd love to put a lineup around Luka with both DFS and Covington. Imagine that Utah game if instead of Seth or THJ getting roasted on D, we have Covington there and sacrifice no shooting.

THJ doesn't get roasted on D, and Curry is good at staying in front of his man, as was pointed out not only in the last game, but in the offseason.

I do like the idea of RoCo and DFS together in a five-out lineup.
Like Reply
(01-27-2020, 05:14 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 10:10 AM)matt6715 Wrote: I'd love to put a lineup around Luka with both DFS and Covington.  Imagine that Utah game if instead of Seth or THJ getting roasted on D, we have Covington there and sacrifice no shooting.

THJ doesn't get roasted on D, and Curry is good at staying in front of his man, as was pointed out not only in the last game, but in the offseason.

I do like the idea of RoCo and DFS together in a five-out lineup.

I agree, it's not that those guys are bad, it's just that a guy like RoCo is such a big upgrade. My issue with DFS too is that he's a good, not great defender. If DFS is your 2nd best wing defender you are in good shape but I want that guy who can lock down Bog or Donovan Mitchell and make their life hard in the last 5 minutes of a game.

For what it's worth I have yet to see any sort of viable trade from these other "contenders" save the Lakers if they are worth parting with Kuzma (and if the Wolves desire him as a player).

The Clippers have lots of good players but it's hard to picture what player they would give up that isn't a lateral move. Harkless is their one disposable player but they don't have picks to attach to him as they unloaded all their picks for Paul George.

In my opinion the contenders for Covington are the following:
- Some team not named yet (certainly possible)
- Mavs depending on what they are willing to give up (hopefully a lot imo)
- Wolves in the sense that they may decide to just keep him for the time being

76ers, Lakers, Clippers, Rockets (they already dropped out) and Mavs are the only teams I have seen linked so far.
Like Reply
Was listening to Duncan and Hollinger podcast and they discussed the top team trade options.

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/holling...3869031154

They mentioned the Bucks have the Pacers 1st rd pick 2020.
So all the wings Dallas may be looking at Milwaukee will also be after and have better assets.
They may struggle to match salaries on the more expensive ones, ie Iggy
But they can easily outbid Dallas on say Bogdanovic or Bertans

I think it is going to take some creative options to be able to get a player that will improve the current roster.
Like Reply
Just like it often does, it will take Bogdanovich and his agent telling the team “I’m going to sign with Dallas, make a trade happen”.
Like Reply
(01-27-2020, 06:10 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: They mentioned the Bucks have the Pacers 1st rd pick 2020.
So all the wings Dallas may be looking at Milwaukee will also be after and have better assets.
They may struggle to match salaries on the more expensive ones, ie Iggy
But they can easily outbid Dallas on say Bogdanovic or Bertans

I think it is going to take some creative options to be able to get a player that will improve the current roster.

true, but they can only outbid us for one player, than it is our turn. They have the first right to pick Smile
Like Reply
(01-27-2020, 09:42 AM)burekemde Wrote:
(01-27-2020, 09:38 AM)aguiar95 Wrote:

Also Covingtons offense will explode playing with Luka. DFS is shooting open 3s all the time, its a luxury really. Given how open he is I am not sure he is that great a shooter.
He's not a great shooter but he's slowly moved into a really solid shooter. Combined with the hustle and defense it makes for a really solid rotation player/5th starter. 

The reality is that ROCO is a better career 3pt shooter on higher volume.He's typically had better defensive metrics. There's some things DFS is better at too but if you want a 3 and d guy? I'm taking Covington every time. 

if you want to play hypotheticals of who might explode with Luka.... OPJ has a better case. He looked fantastic once he got out of the Washington mess last year. Really good shooter. He'd get a tooooooon of open looks here. 

I'm good with either him or ROCO... Just pointing out people having been arguing the point you made on Covington for other guys out there.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/statu...1128280064
Like Reply