Poll: Will the Mavs make a trade before the deadline?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
52.94%
27 52.94%
No
47.06%
24 47.06%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
NBA Trade Rumors |
https://tradenba.com/trades/_x-yejS8D

Here's a super quick trade I came up with.

Mavs get their size and their elite defensive wing.

DAL sends out Powell, Jackson, Roby,  Wright, and Lee. Along with GSW 2nd, 2023 Miami 2nd, and a 2022 2nd.

DAL receives Deng, Drummond, and RoCo. 

It'd be a major gamble and shakeup. But the Mavs get their elite wing which they sorely need, and an elite bigman that couldn't possible perform any worse than Powell. Plus they get a backup that can play with Maxi.

Luka/Brunson/Barea
THJ/Curry
RoCo/DFS
KP/Maxi
Drummond/Dieng/Boban
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 01:14 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://tradenba.com/trades/_x-yejS8D

Here's a super quick trade I came up with.

Mavs get their size and their elite defensive wing.

DAL sends out Powell, Jackson, Roby,  Wright, and Lee. Along with GSW 2nd, 2023 Miami 2nd, and a 2022 2nd.

DAL receives Deng, Drummond, and RoCo. 

It'd be a major gamble and shakeup. But the Mavs get their elite wing which they sorely need, and an elite bigman that couldn't possible perform any worse than Powell. Plus they get a backup that can play with Maxi.

Luka/Brunson/Barea
THJ/Curry
RoCo/DFS
KP/Maxi
Drummond/Dieng/Boban
This seems like a dream. As awesome as this trade looks, I don't believe we have the assets to get 2 starter caliber players (maybe with our 2020 1st this summer).
Like Reply
http://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status...0088816640
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 10:51 AM)Lui41 Wrote: Hi! Long time lurker here.

What do you think about Delon Wright plus Justin Jackson, GSW 2nd Round Pick, and Utah 2nd Round Pick for Robert Covington? Would that offer be enough?

Welcome.  I like you already because you at least made a realistic offer instead of the homer stuff I see on fan sites.

It would just depend on how they feel about Wright.  I'm 30/70 they don't like Wright enough to be enticed by that offer.

I'm guessing they either want a legit starting PG and/or a 1st round pick.
Like Reply
I posted the following list on the Trade Ideas thread in terms of how I would view the Mavs' players and trade assets:

1) Jackson, Lee, the seconds aside from the GSW second, and the TPE. These are our basic so-called assets at this point. None of them, apart from one or two of the seconds, had better be here at the trade deadline. You dump them for whatever you can get back. Of course, to get back something of real value (with the possible exception of Iggy), you have to include something below.
2) Cleveland. No future here, but no urgency to trade him.
3) Roby and Reeves. If the Mavs believed in these guys, they would have got minutes at this point. You throw them in for any improvement whatsoever to the 10-man. RFA is in the same category.
4) Boban, JJB. These two guys are obviously here for locker room purposes more than anything else. I am pro-Carlisle, but he horrendously misuses Boban. If someone wants either thrown in, you do it. The only caveat is that you chat with Luka about it first, because these guys are his homies. That's why they're lower here than Roby and Reeves.
5) Brunson, Powell, and the Golden State second. You include them in any deal that involves any sort of improvement to the 8-man rotation. I believe Brunson has far more value in trade than Wright because of his rookie contract and his age, and yet I firmly believe that Wright has greater medium-term value to the Mavs. Powell's contract is too big, otherwise he would be in one of the groups below. He does add something to the Mavs, but is overpaid for the bench role he ought to have.
6) This summer's first. We all know the Mavs don't value the draft enough. But how good of a player will they get with the 19th pick? Will it be a player who is ready to compete in the "right now" of Luka? I only trade the pick if the player coming back is part of the Mavs' top-7 rotation after the deal.
7) THJ. He was in category #1 at the beginning of the season. My, how things have changed. At this point, you don't trade him unless a superior player (or a younger player with far higher upside) is part of the package coming back, period.   
8) Maxi, Wright, DFS, and Curry, in that descending order of protection level. These guys are all key to anything positive to what the Mavs are doing right now and have very high value in terms of their contracts, both to the Mavs and in trade. As I have said, under no circumstances do I include any one of them in trade unless the player coming back is undeniably the third-best player on the Mavs after the trade. I only include more than one of them in a trade for a top-30-in-the-league player. I would trade two of them, in separate deals, if the two key players coming back were the 3rd and 4th best Mavs after the deals and not otherwise. BTW, Wright is by far the most unjustly bashed Mav on this board this year. 
9) The 2025 first. The Mavs had better make sure Luka is still going to be here then before they even think about trading this pick. If they choose to break that rule and roll the dice, it had better be for a top 30 player who is under contract and Bird rights for at least another year.
10) KP. Only for a top 20 player with better health.
11) Luka. Are you kidding? Zero of the 29 other teams in the league are capable right now of putting together a package which would make the Mavs the winners of the trade under any circumstances. He is the most valuable trade chip in the league right now. Zero circumstances this year and next in which you trade him, and nearly zero after that.
Like Reply
It was reported that DET is the one that engaged with NYK. They wanted Ntilikina and Randle + picks. Is a Wright + Powell + Jackson for Drummond + Morris better?
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 05:11 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: It was reported that DET is the one that engaged with NYK. They wanted Ntilikina and Randle + picks. Is a Wright + Powell + Jackson for Drummond + Morris better?

Not for the Mavs.

No Drummond.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 05:11 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: It was reported that DET is the one that engaged with NYK. They wanted Ntilikina and Randle + picks. Is a Wright + Powell + Jackson for Drummond + Morris better?
Well if you believe some Mavs fans that think Powell is much better than Randle, it´s probably too much.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...6996082689
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 11:25 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...6996082689

An after Christmas sale.  All items half off!
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 11:25 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...6996082689

I'll give them Powell, Jackson, Roby, RFA, and Lee plus the GSW 2nd for their five good players - Rose, Morris, Snell, Kennard, and Wood.

Yeah, I know, you'd have to sweeten that on the Mavs side (Brunson instead of RFA? probably have to give them even more than that), but we would definitely run deeper after that.
Like Reply
I think Snell is a guy I’d target with the TPE and either the Utah second or a future second. I then have even more flexibility in negotiations to pull the trigger on Curry if I see value coming back for him.
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 11:51 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think Snell is a guy I’d target with the TPE and either the Utah second or a future second. I then have even more flexibility in negotiations to pull the trigger on Curry if I see value coming back for him.

I agree, but the reason my trade isn't as stupid as it looks at first glance is that their two crappy max players (Blake the Broken and Dre the Disinterested) put them close to the tax line. Giving them Lee's expiring would save them money next year, but they have to give something back for that savings. Snell, Rose, Morris, and Kennard with their easy contracts (cf. DFS, Maxi, Curry, and Wright) would all have re-trade value for the Mavs this summer and next year. Would be interesting to see how much it would be to re-sign Wood.
Like Reply
IMO Wright and Seth should be off limits. They are bargains right now that we will appreciate once the cap shoots up. 

I think what we will end up seeing is something that looks a little like this. Its a single trade but the Mavs use the TLE for the Covington transaction. The Mavericks take on Giengs contract to help the Wolves free up 20  + Million going into the off season 

Mavericks Receive 
Gorgie Gieng
Robert Covington (Trade Exception accounts for this money

Detroit Receives 
Courtney Lee 
Isiah Roby
Warriors 2nd Rd Pick

-------------------------------------------

Mavericks Receive 
Derrick Rose 

Pistons Receive 
Jalen Bronson 
Justin Jackson
Like Reply
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/p...441738002/
Like Reply
(01-11-2020, 09:00 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
Well if you believe some Mavs fans that think Powell is much better than Randle, it´s probably too much.

Randle certainly has a lot of offensive skills
Like Reply
(01-12-2020, 08:05 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/p...441738002/

I'm not totally ruling this out as it would be Mav's like to grab a Schwartz client prior to his option year and sign him longer term in the summer.  The packages being mentioned for Drummond are awful.  NY for instance...Frank N. at $6mm next year is negative value.  Randle with Griffin is the worst defensive front court pairing in the history of the NBA.  Atlanta's package is expiring crap and maybe a pick.  This wouldn't be hard to pull off with little outgoing value if we had some contracts with little outgoing value.

I think the path to this (if Dallas wants to do it) might run through Sacramento.  Dedmon would be a much better fit in Detroit than anything being mentioned in any of the other trade scenarios.  It would take Lee going out plus Wright (I don't think we'd put Powell or Maxi in a package for Drummond).  From there, someone needs to give us a replacement for Wright.  The good news is there are tons of candidates on both Detroit and Sacramento who make less than our TPE who would fit in just fine.  Two years of Rose instead of 3 years of Wright?  I would do that as it would help with shot creation late in games.  Many other possibilities. 

Detroit getting Dedmon and Wright is better than anything else I've seen mentioned.  Sacramento is only getting an expiring Lee in the most simple version of this, so someone might have to give them a little additional consideration.

https://tradenba.com/trades/xR7ecVOf-
Like Reply
(01-12-2020, 09:38 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(01-12-2020, 08:05 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/p...441738002/

I'm not totally ruling this out as it would be Mav's like to grab a Schwartz client prior to his option year and sign him longer term in the summer.  The packages being mentioned for Drummond are awful.  NY for instance...Frank N. at $6mm next year is negative value.  Randle with Griffin is the worst defensive front court pairing in the history of the NBA.  Atlanta's package is expiring crap and maybe a pick.  This wouldn't be hard to pull off with little outgoing value if we had some contracts with little outgoing value.

I think the path to this (if Dallas wants to do it) might run through Sacramento.  Dedmon would be a much better fit in Detroit than anything being mentioned in any of the other trade scenarios.  It would take Lee going out plus Wright (I don't think we'd put Powell or Maxi in a package for Drummond).  From there, someone needs to give us a replacement for Wright.  The good news is there are tons of candidates on both Detroit and Sacramento who make less than our TPE who would fit in just fine.  Two years of Rose instead of 3 years of Wright?  I would do that as it would help with shot creation late in games.  Many other possibilities. 

Detroit getting Dedmon and Wright is better than anything else I've seen mentioned.  Sacramento is only getting an expiring Lee in the most simple version of this, so someone might have to give them a little additional consideration.

https://tradenba.com/trades/xR7ecVOf-

The question about how to get Drummond should not be debated as I believe if the Mavericks wanted him they could make it happen. 

The issue is, what is that number you are willing to pay if he opts out which I am sure he most certainly will. The conversation is totally different if he did not have that player option. 

My point is if you are suggesting we go out for Drummond you will have to pay him for 4  to 5 years and 28 Million Plus which would hurt long term plans. 

That is why I think the target could be Steven Adams or go after the Timberwolves guys instead. The Mavericks want to have flexibility in 2021.
Like Reply
(01-12-2020, 10:12 AM)deronjohn Wrote: The question about how to get Drummond should not be debated as I believe if the Mavericks wanted him they could make it happen. 

The issue is, what is that number you are willing to pay if he opts out which I am sure he most certainly will. The conversation is totally different if he did not have that player option. 

My point is if you are suggesting we go out for Drummond you will have to pay him for 4  to 5 years and 28 Million Plus which would hurt long term plans. 

I think you ask a very good question, but I'm not convinced on the "he most certainly will" part.

Yes, Dallas tried to get Schwartz client Jordan in a trade where he opted in for his final year (and ended up having to wait until July to get him on a one year instead).  Yes, Dallas did an opt-in and extend with Schwartz client Powell.  Yes, Dallas tried to trade Barnes for Schwartz client Kemba at the TDL (before doing the Jackson deal) so they could have his Bird rights this summer.  We tried to do something similar with Noel who was a Happy Walters client (also Schwartz at the time).  All of that certainly would lead one to believe a likely outcome would be an opt-in and extend or an opt-out and sign this summer using Bird rights.  

However, it isn't the only outcome.  Does Schwartz think his client is going to maximize his value in by playing a few months in NY or Atlanta?  Probably not.  Other than Dallas and maybe Atlanta is there a team that will give over $20 million a year to Drummond in free agency this summer? 

If they dealt for him, I think Dallas might try to convince Drummond that his best move is to play well here for a season and a half and earn a better pay day in 2021.  They might offer something like $18mm per year on an extension.  Then Drummond has to decide to bet on himself or take about $85 million over 4 years ($28 + $18 + $19 + $20).  More good teams will have money and he will have potentially increased his value here.  I have to go reread the FAQ, but I think we have the right to extend and trade up until the TDL next season if he opts in this summer.  It might be that Drummond is a path to someone else.  It might be that he and THJ and Rose might all expire at the same time giving Dallas good flexibility in 2021 while also competing hard between now and then.  It may be that he adds to flexibility, instead of detracting from it.

Just to be clear, I'm not necessarily advocating for or against Drummond.  Just pointing out that he fits a certain pattern of behavior.
Like Reply
With Denzel Valentine again out of the Chicago Bulls' rotation, the team is reportedly exploring trading him before February's deadline.

Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times reported the Bulls "would jump" to make a deal for the 2016 first-round pick. Valentine is a restricted free agent this summer, and the team reportedly has no plans on bringing him back.
Like Reply