Poll: Will the Mavs make a trade before the deadline?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
52.94%
27 52.94%
No
47.06%
24 47.06%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
NBA Trade Rumors |
(01-01-2020, 08:31 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 08:26 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Yes Lee for Iggy would be free Smile

Glad we're in agreement!

But now comes in the interesting part, is Lee+Utah 2nd+ our 2nd next year stomachable for at least a half a season of Iggy?

Only if it doesn't prevent something more opportunistic.
Like Reply
If they can’t use the picks to get a more long term player, ie on a longer deal or younger.
Then I say go for it.
If the plan is to try and convince Giannis to come here in 2021 they need to show they are a valid deep playoff team.
So Giannis would then put them over the top to a title team or even a dynasty team.

This year and next would be important to show big improvements.
Plus Iggy would be a great bet for late in games where the Mavs seem to be struggling recently.

Plus you know Donnie and Cuban want another shot at Giannis to make up for the stuff up on draft night.
Like Reply
Unless Iggy is a locker room cancer, I'd rather have him to put in there than Lee...that's easy.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
I don't think Iggy will solve MAVS clutch problem... We need a shot creator...
Like Reply
Iggy isn't going to put is over the edge to win it all so I don't see the point of giving up anything other than a second protected 30-55.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(01-01-2020, 08:41 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 08:31 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 08:26 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Yes Lee for Iggy would be free Smile

Glad we're in agreement!

But now comes in the interesting part, is Lee+Utah 2nd+ our 2nd next year stomachable for at least a half a season of Iggy?

Only if it doesn't prevent something more opportunistic.

Ya exactly. I don't think there are going to be a lot of blockbuster deals.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/JLEdwardsIII/status/...58400?s=20

I'm 50/50 on making a move for Drummond. He was utilized in the wrong way in DET for a long time, but he's still only 26 and could be a force in the right system. I'd be curious to see how he plays on a team where he focuses on the dirty work (rim rolling, cutting, putbacks, defensive rebounding, transition offense) and cuts back on the postups, weird floaters, etc.

Some basic frameworks that work financially:

Lee + Powell
Lee + Wright
Lee + Curry + Broekhoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5R9XTUlWeM

He's as close to being the physical and athletic force DeAndre was in his prime as anybody in the league right now. I still think he has the potential to be both, the elite rebounder that he already is AND an elite PnR finishing big. He was in the 72nd percentile in '15-'16 but has basically always played with idiotic spacing (Monrie/Josh Smith/Blake as frontcourt mates) and terrible PG play (Reggie Jackson)

I think there's more upside to a Drummond-acquisition than a Steven Adams-trade.
Like Reply
I watched Drummond last night on NBA TV. 

If I didn't know better I'd say he intentionally threw the game. He gave a terribly lackluster effort even when the Pistons were still in the game. He finished 3 of 10 and minus-21

I think a motivated Drummond could be a dominant roll man, but the biggest issue is his contract. Centers just aren't valued the way they used to be and I can't imagine the analytics friendly Mavs committing that much money to the least valuable position on the floor. The Mavs spend less than $22 million for their entire 3 man center rotation. Plus they have KP who will play center more if/when the Mavs add another wing/ small-ball four. Drummond costs $27 million alone. 

So while I do think Drummond can be a winning player on the right team, you really have to factor in the contract along with the player evaluation. If Drummond will opt out and resign at $12 million per? Sure. Otherwise, since the Mavs already have much of what Drummond provides i.e. Powell's dominant roll-man efficiency -- as well as good play in areas that Drummond doesn't do well i.e. Kleber's floor spacing three point shooting --  I think the Mavs have use their limited assets (money) to acquire more a valuable resource i.e. dynamic guard or wing.
Like Reply
(01-03-2020, 10:33 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: I watched Drummond last night on NBA TV. 

If I didn't know better I'd say he intentionally threw the game. He gave a terribly lackluster effort even when the Pistons were still in the game. He finished 3 of 10 and minus-21
Ya, I recently made a Drummond post that showed me "OK" if we were to get him. I'd be more in a place of "let's see where this takes us" in hoping that he can get on-board with winning basketball if we were to swing a deal for him. Problem is I think they (Det) would be asking for too much more than I myself would be willing to give up, given the risk.

He's probably one that I would just let NY be enamored with and spend their assets on instead of us.
Like Reply
(01-03-2020, 09:56 AM)JamesConway Wrote: I'm 50/50 on making a move for Drummond.

I love Drummond as an idea. His stats paint him as a perfect fit for the Mavs. A big rim rolling guy that rebounds like no other?? Sign me up. 

But what many Piston fans echo online is that while Drummond is good, he is flat out immature, and goes out of his way to get himself his own shots. Instead of just setting a screen and getting easy lobs, Drummond starts to pout when he doesn't get a post up for an inefficient hook shot that he's shooting 47% on. He also steals rebounds and stat hunts.

I remember I posted a video of a webseries that followed Drummond last offseason and his journey into becoming a rapper. IF that series wasn't just playing it up for the cameras (which I really really hope it was), it highlighted what Piston fans are complaining about and showed Drummond's extreme immaturity and lack of commitment to basketball. He was living in a house with 10 guys, playing nerf but more importantly he consistently stated on more than one occasion that basketball was secondary to him, and his real dream is to be a rapper.

Do we really want that kind of personality under RC? Drummond would get chewed out faster than he could say a lyric from his songs. Luka is also hyper competitive, and pairing a guy like Drummond wouldn't be the best fit imo.

Yet, if Drummond were to just accept his role and take the easy lobs, the Mavs would be title contenders this year. Unfortunately I don't think that'd happen.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
All of my No's to Drummond 
Low IQ and bad attitude. I could probably live with the lack of sn outside shot if that was the only issue

Rondo was the last guy I gave a solid No to when we were discussing trades
Like Reply
Look, everyone says "rim rolling big man", but I'm not sure I see Drummond as that.

Drummond comes off to me as more of a plodding big man, and I don't view him, after watching him, an awesome defender. 

BUT...

I look at basketball-reference and he's 5th in Defensive win shares, 5th in Defensive Box Plus Minus, 11th in blocks and at 280 pounds, he's got to be able to handle the pounding.  The last 6 years, he's played at least 78 games, and has played 80+ in 4 of those, putting up around 30 minutes per game. 

He's hit a sub-100 defensive rating for 4 of his 8 seasons, and currently is 13th in the NBA in Defensive rating.  Then there's  the rebounding that's amazing....1st in the NBA in total rebounds, offensive rebounds and defensive rebounds.

He can't hit a 3 to save his life...that would be a problem for our spacing, because even as bad as Powell is, he will take one in rhythm and has proven he can hit a few now and then.

Can he get up and down the floor at the pace we want?

Maybe I just have a misconception of who he is as a player...if his attitude is a problem, I don't care who he is, just say "no".  Chemistry and Attitude are just as important to winning as talent in many cases...there are only a few rare players that are so good it doesn't really matter, imho.
Like Reply
(01-03-2020, 12:48 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: because even as bad as Powell is, he will take one in rhythm and has proven he can hit a few now and then.
Most anyone in the NBA can hit 26% of their 3's.
Like Reply
from ESPN

Size used to matter, almost more than anything. Not anymore, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban says.

"The analytics don't specify whether it's a big, or a small, or a medium-sized guy," Cuban says. "Analytics are driven by the skill set of the player and the team.

"Right now, if you're a decent shooter -- regardless of your height -- you're better off shooting a 3."

Tells me the Mavs are more likely to target a guy like Cedi Osman, Marvin Williams or even Tony Snell than an old school big like Andre Drummond.
Like Reply
The Golden State Warriors are reportedly open to moving some of their veteran role players amid a Western Conference-worst 9-27 start to the season.
According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, Glenn Robinson III, Alec Burks and others have been discussed in trade talks.
One player whom the Warriors are reportedly not looking to move, however, is guard D'Angelo Russell. Charania noted that the Dubs would need a deal that "blows them away" in order to part with Russell since the team's executives want to see how he fits into a healthy core alongside Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green.

The Los Angeles Lakers don't plan to trade Kyle Kuzma despite interest from around the league.
According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, "several teams are doing their due diligence" on the forward, but the Lakers "value Kuzma as a core part of the future."
If Los Angeles makes any trade before the deadline, it likely

Despite being frequently mentioned in trade rumors, Marcus Morris reportedly prefers to remain with the New York Knicks

Per Shams Charania of The Athletic and Stadium, Morris is saying publicly and privately he wants "to stay loyal with the Knicks
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-03-2020, 02:22 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Morris is saying publicly and privately he wants "to stay loyal with the Knicks

Morris also made a verbal agreement with SA then pulled a DeAndre, so I wouldn't really take his statements as face value Smile

(01-03-2020, 02:22 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: The Golden State Warriors are reportedly open to moving some of their veteran role players

GSW are running out of minutes for their 2-way players who are regular rotation guys. They are hard capped and can't sign anyone. They will likely be giving players for cash or picks to solve their situation. Deadline to sign 2-way contracts is January 15th. Non guaranteed contracts become guaranteed January 7th - will they waive non guaranteed Chriss?
Like Reply
(01-03-2020, 01:15 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 12:48 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: because even as bad as Powell is, he will take one in rhythm and has proven he can hit a few now and then.

Apparently Drummond isn't "most anyone"...he's shooting 11% career on 3s.  So there's that.
Like Reply
(01-03-2020, 02:48 PM)TXBamanut Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 01:15 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

Apparently Drummond isn't "most anyone"...he's shooting 11% career on 3s.  So there's that.
Doubt Drummond is working on his 3's like Powell has the past 4 years.
Like Reply
http://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1213188703897567234
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-03-2020, 03:06 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: http://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1213188703897567234

It will be interesting to see what's the price for such a player, if they make the deal. My guess Turner, Crabbe, Huerter + 1st rounder for Drummond and Snell.
Like Reply