Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 23: LA Lakers (14-10) vs. Dallas Mavericks (15-8) | 125-127 WIN!!!
(12-12-2023, 10:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The atmosphere around here is not hype enough, people!

This was a hard-fought, no-back-down win on the second night of a back to back against a rested Playoff team with some of the game's most respected veteran stars. Missing like 5-6 rotation players!!!! They got significant contributions from more than a couple of role players. Hell, the Mavs' defense even seemed playoff contender worthy for the first half...

It's ok to admit that this was an amazing, signature win. If you're unable to do so, you might be a hater.

I think it's huge. Very hyped. Luka loves these teammates and is committed to winning. More importantly, these teammates deserve his love. Best supporting cast he's ever had by a rather colossal margin. Just imagine when we get Kai, DJJ, Green, and Maxi back.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 10:47 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think it's huge. Very hyped. Luka loves these teammates and is committed to winning. More importantly, these teammates deserve his love. Best supporting cast he's ever had by a rather colossal margin. Just imagine when we get Kai, DJJ, Green, and Maxi back.

AND, they're YOUNG!!!!!

Imagine them when they get smarter!
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, michaeltex
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/IsaacLHarris/status/...3114856713
[-] The following 2 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • BoredAssistant, DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Someone on Reddit was asking why no one was complaining that Kidd didn’t play Wood tonight. LOL
[-] The following 6 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, BoredAssistant, DallasMaverick, F Gump, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Second half Luka simply did not settle. I Loved it. Luka is indeed maturing.

I can’t remember watching a better game in recent years. The willfulness of the Lakers was very hard to overcome but the Mavs more than matched their force.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 09:54 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not that I am complaining. But why the hell didn't the Lakers foul?

I was wondering this as well.
Like Reply
Task for the coming weeks is getting it all together. Integrating Kyrie into the lineup without losing the defensive intensity and physicality that we saw in the last two games (more like first halfs of both games). Managing the minutes and egos of guys that expected bigger roles vs players that earned minutes in the last few games.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
The Lakers played at a championship level. The refs did everything imaginable to help them (the refs were so bad tonight, probably cost the Mavs 8 points plus a ridiculous technical at the end of the game just because they hate Luka and don’t like that he dominates the Americans. I can’t stand the officiating this season). Yet, the Mavs managed to win with half the rotation out of commission on a back to back. Best regular season win in some time. Bravo.
[-] The following 7 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick, IamDougieFresh, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, Mavs2021, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
New level of respect for Timmy taking those charges with a bad back.
Like Reply
(12-13-2023, 12:15 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: New level of respect for Timmy taking those charges with a bad back.

Timmy’s value is certainly higher than it was 4-5 months when just about everyone on this board was concocting trades with him as a centerpiece! He’s even made an effort to put the ball on the floor and drive to the rim this year which is a pleasant surprise. 

Despite the fact that a lot of folks here still would like to see him go for someone with more size and D, I would go as far as to say that with the way he’s been playing, he’s become one of the 5 most important players on this team.
“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 4 users Like OBX Maverick's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, michaeltex, The Jom
Like Reply
Murasban (@Murasban)
Another thing about how huge this win was tonight.

It wasn't like the Lakers played horribly. They shot 54% from the field and 52% from 3.

LeBron had 33-8-9. AD with 37-11-2blk on 15-21 from the field. Another 22 from Reaves.

Mavs just fought and won.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(12-12-2023, 10:34 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The atmosphere around here is not hype enough, people!

This was a hard-fought, no-back-down win on the second night of a back to back against a rested Playoff team with some of the game's most respected veteran stars. Missing like 5-6 rotation players!!!! They got significant contributions from more than a couple of role players. Hell, the Mavs' defense even seemed playoff contender worthy for the first half...

It's ok to admit that this was an amazing, signature win. If you're unable to do so, you might be a hater.

This is the kind of win that could bring Kamm back. Go work your recruting magic KL Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like juanc's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
The refs did everything they could to hand the Lakers the win. So many blatantly bad and wrong calls, even Reggie Miller thought so and one point.

But no matter! Even on their last leg on the second night of a back to back, our Boys in Blue prevailed. Great performance, great character. Exum looks like a legit starter, playgin the best ball of his career. Williams with a great comeback from injury, even more so with THJ, stepping up in Kyrie's absence as the second scorer. And Luka picking apart the defense with 17 assists on 4 TOs and a quiet 33 points? Come on, man!
[-] The following 1 user Likes meistermatze's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
While Hardaway was great with his catch-and-shoot, he was lousy when Luka left the game. He tries to do too much and forces shots. Hardaway has a very specific role to play. His effectiveness diminishes without a better player managing the game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(12-13-2023, 09:42 AM)Winter Wrote: While Hardaway was great with his catch-and-shoot, he was lousy when Luka left the game. He tries to do too much and forces shots. Hardaway has a very specific role to play. His effectiveness diminishes without a better player managing the game.

This!  Always has been.
Like Reply
(12-13-2023, 09:42 AM)Winter Wrote: While Hardaway was great with his catch-and-shoot, he was lousy when Luka left the game. He tries to do too much and forces shots. Hardaway has a very specific role to play. His effectiveness diminishes without a better player managing the game.

For sure. He's a catch and shoot guy. I believe he's improved significantly at scoring off of the dribble this year, but the moments wherein he brilliantly sets up a teammate are few and far between (although there was one really good one last night). 

I don't believe this is the scathing indictment some think it is. He's REALLY good at what he's REALLY good at.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan, juanc, Reunion Mav
Like Reply

I have a hard time finding any complaints about Timmy after this game, and I think that issue is less the case now compared to in the past, but I think the final step is for him to recognize that Exum can play the Luka role.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(12-13-2023, 10:10 AM)mvossman Wrote: I have a hard time finding any complaints about Timmy after this game, and I think that issue is less the case now compared to in the past, but I think the final step is for him to recognize that Exum can play the Luka role.

I almost posted a similar thought about Exum's role when Luca was out. I hope Exum is given the role soon. It appears it was given to Tim last night when Luca went out and it's kind of ugly. 

You are probably right about complaining though. Tim had a bucketload of points.
Like Reply
(12-13-2023, 10:10 AM)mvossman Wrote: I have a hard time finding any complaints about Timmy after this game, and I think that issue is less the case now compared to in the past, but I think the final step is for him to recognize that Exum can play the Luka role.

I would submit that he kinda already has. I think this year, so far, has been THJ's best in Dallas, and that's saying something because he fit into Carlisle's system really well. 

I think he's playing off of Luka, Kyrie and Exum pretty damn well. He has EXCEEDED my expectations, and I've always been a defender of his. I can't believe there are people still complaining about him. No judgement for anyone on a basketball forum for their opinions, it's just something that surprises me. I think Hardaway (so far) has fit squarely into the "this is really working" category.

(12-13-2023, 10:18 AM)Winter Wrote: You are probably right about complaining though. Tim had a bucketload of points.

Efficient points. Timely points that kept them in the game during tough stretches when they were having trouble getting good shots because the Lakers turned the heat up, defensively. 

And, he battled his butt off on defense all night. He's a better than average on-ball defender, and last night he took some pretty timely off-ball charges, right? 

He played a GREAT game.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Reunion Mav
Like Reply

It is a good point.  I would say this also relates to Hardy to.  Hardaway is just a better player imo.  In the future, I think Hardy could be less tied to a lead guard than Hardaway but he would still benefit more playing next to a lead guard.   Hardy trying to get a team into an offense is tough to watch.   If his first option is denied, his first instinct is to put his head down and attack.  

While Hardaway off ball defense can be maddening, you have to give him huge props for taking charges.   Having a player who is willing to put his body on the line can really make players think for a split second.  Not only do they need to be aware of Lively going to the rim, you need to be watchful of reckless drives because of Hardaway.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply