Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cuban has sold the Mavs to Adelson-Dumont Family
(12-07-2023, 04:27 AM)RGP1981 Wrote: I just had a really fun thought...

Wouldn't it be swell if the Mavericks and Jazz merged into 1 team based out of Utah? The new team will have to be based in Utah to get rid of Cuban, Nico, Cynt Marshall, etc. Besides, since it will be named the Utah Mavericks, this will allow the Jazz name to go to New Orleans. This would finally put a championship worthy roster around Luka. The extra team spot can go to one of the three destinations vying to be part of 32-team NBA; Las Vegas, Seattle or Vancouver.

Your Utah Mavericks! Big Grin

G: Kyrie, Exum
G: Agbaji, Keyonte
F: Luka, Sensabaugh
F: Markkanen, Hendricks
C: Lively, Kessler

Coach: Will Hardy
GM: Dennis Lindsey
POBO: Danny Ainge
Owner: Ryan Smith

I think this roster and management team would rule the NBA for a decade.

Everyone currently on the two teams but not named above can go to Las Vegas, Seattle or Vancouver and Cuban can go control them if he wants to.

Cool idea to think about.  

I'd prefer some of the veterans you left off. 

This is how i think the team would be:

G: Kyrie, Jordan Clarkson, Colin Sexton (Hardaway Jr?)
G: Luka, Josh Green, Keyonte George
F: Grant Wililams, DJJ
F: Markkanen, John Collins, Olynk

That very well could be a championship team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nowitzki Way's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 09:49 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: No, thanks. This is a forum for Dallas Mavericks fans.

So basically, you are anti-actual-progess and prefer that the old boys in place continue to be there? Tsk, tsk. Big Grin
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 11:50 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Cool idea to think about.  

I'd prefer some of the veterans you left off. 

This is how i think the team would be:

G: Kyrie, Jordan Clarkson, Colin Sexton (Hardaway Jr?)
G: Luka, Josh Green, Keyonte George
F: Grant Wililams, DJJ
F: Markkanen, John Collins, Olynk

That very well could be a championship team.

Yay! Welcome on board! Big Grin

A point of contention though... Luka is not a guard. Luka is a point forward.

Luka does not defend guards. Therefore, he cannot be considered a guard when constructing a roster. In a lineup that consists of the 5 players you have listed first in each position (Kyrie, Luka, G-Will, Lauri, Lively).... who will defend guards or players who move a lot off-ball? Luka will be the primary play-maker on offense, but it needs to considered who will defend who too.

I hear you on Olynyk btw, he could be real useful!
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 02:38 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: So basically, you are anti-actual-progess and prefer that the old boys in place continue to be there? Tsk, tsk. Big Grin

No, I love progress...for the Dallas Mavericks. 

Nobody would ever, ever want to play in Utah. It is a terrible, backward place and I doubt they'll ever win a championship there.  You must truly hate Luka to suggest such a thing.
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 02:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: No, I love progress...for the Dallas Mavericks. 

Nobody would ever, ever want to play in Utah. It is a terrible, backward place and I doubt they'll ever win a championship there.  You must truly hate Luka to suggest such a thing.

I think as long as Cuban is in control, there will never be actual progress.

So your definition of progress and mine differ, i.e., yours is imaginary while mine is actual. Tongue
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 02:58 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: I think as long as Cuban is in control, there will never be actual progress.

So your definition of progress and mine differ, i.e., yours is imaginary while mine is actual. Tongue

Cool. I'm not a huge fan of Cuban, either, but I'm a Mavs fan, so I'll just have to deal with it, I guess. 

Knowing how you feel, I'm sure you'll be searching for a new team to follow (Utah, I guess). Good luck with that.
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Cool. I'm not a huge fan of Cuban, either, but I'm a Mavs fan, so I'll just have to deal with it, I guess. 

Knowing how you feel, I'm sure you'll be searching for a new team to follow (Utah, I guess). Good luck with that.

Never mind the difference between hypothetical rosters, just look at the difference in management.

Coach: Will Hardy vs Jason Kidd... I win.
GM: Dennis Lindsey vs Dennis Lindsey.... draw.
POBO: Danny Ainge vs Nico Harrison... I win x2.
Owner: Ryan Smith vs Mark Cuban + Adelsons... I win x2.

Win gets 2 points, a Draw gets 1 point, a Win x2 gets 4 points.

Final score: Me 2 + 1 + 4 + 4 vs You 0 + 1 + 0 + 0 = 11 vs 1.
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:02 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: Never mind the difference between hypothetical rosters, just look at the difference in management.

Coach: Will Hardy vs Jason Kidd... I win.
Owner: Ryan Smith vs Mark Cuban... I win x2.

I don't understand what you're arguing towards here. Are you wanting me to help you find a Utah Jazz forum? Just google it, my guy!
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:04 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't understand what you're arguing towards here. Are you wanting me to help you find a Utah Jazz forum? Just google it, my guy!

I'm wanting you to start a change.org petition to merge the 2 teams into the Utah Mavericks! Tongue
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:05 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: I'm wanting you to start a change.org petition to merge the 2 teams into the Utah Mavericks! Tongue

Nah, I'm a Dallas Mavericks fan. Did you not read that earlier? You get where you are, right?
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nah, I'm a Dallas Mavericks fan. Did you not read that earlier? You get where you are, right?

I think you should re-evaluate. A few decades ago, people scoffed at the suggestion of women voting... just like you're scoffing at my suggestion of merging the two teams into 1 bigger, better and better-run team. First time for everything, hehe.

Don't mind me. Just practicing my written sales pitches to see if I can be convincing online. Big Grin
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:09 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: I think you should re-evaluate. A few decades ago, people scoffed at the suggestion of women voting... just like you're scoffing at my suggestion of merging the two teams into 1 bigger, better and better-run team. First time for everything, hehe.

Yeah, well...if you want a suggestion taken seriously, suggest something reasonable. Like merging with the Kings, maybe? 

Utah is one of the worst places in America. Very backward, very corrupt, very racist. I wouldn't wish relocation to Utah on my worst enemy. If you had offered to RESCUE the Jazz personnel you liked by bringing them HERE, that would've been a funny, light-hearted conversation. Sending someone to Utah is like sending them to Hell. Nothing fun about that.
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:02 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: Coach: Will Hardy vs Jason Kidd... I win.
Owner: Ryan Smith vs Mark Cuban + Adelsons... I win x2.

Another poster who has to "win" (and declares himself the winner, of course, no matter how inane the idea) when talking hoops with someone? Ugh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, well...if you want a suggestion taken seriously, suggest something reasonable. Like merging with the Kings, maybe? 

Utah is one of the worst places in America. Very backward, very corrupt, very racist. I would wish relocation to Utah on my worst enemy. If you had offered to RESCUE the Jazz personnel you liked by bringing them HERE, that would've been a funny, light-hearted conversation. Seeing someone to Utah is like sending them to Hell. Nothing fun about that.

I think your definitions of backward, corrupt, and racist might differ from mine. Just like with the difference in your definition of progress vs mine... could it be possible that your definitions of these things might be imaginary again vs being actual?

I'm not from Utah but Salt Lake City is a wonderful place and I have met some phenomenal people on the couple of travels I have made through there. The kind of people who I would use the idiom "salt of the earth" to describe.
Like Reply
There are three places in the NBA I'd never play, even if they were my only offers, and three teams I'd never follow as a fan:

1) Milwaukee Bucks
2) Utah Jazz
3) Minnesota Timberwolves

...in that order.

I believe Milwaukee and Salt Lake City are two of the worst places on Earth, for different reasons (though I hear they've fixed a lot of what was wrong in Milwaukee in the decade since I've been there). I have no real problem with the Minnesota area or its people, but my goodness what a forgettable market and franchise.
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: There are three places in the NBA I'd never play, even if they were my only offers, and three teams I'd never follow as a fan:

1) Milwaukee Bucks
2) Utah Jazz
3) Minnesota Timberwolves

...in that order.

I have Milwaukee and Salt Lake City are two of the worst places on Earth, for different reasons (though I hear they've fixed a lot of what was wrong in Milwaukee in the decade since I've been there). I have no real problem with the Minnesota area or its people, but my goodness what a forgettable market and franchise.

I'm with you on the Minnesota Timberwolves. The Minneapolis downtown area has become so dank and so ghetto. It is nothing like it used be years ago.

I have never been to Milwaukee, so I have no comment there.
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:17 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: I'm not from Utah but Salt Lake City is a wonderful place and I have met some phenomenal people on the couple of travels I have made through there.

I've been there many times. I have never had a good experience. 

I don't want to get political and offend anyone who might be reading, but political corruption is the first thing I think about when someone says Utah. I'll just leave it at that.
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I've been there many times. I have never had a good experience. 

I don't want to get political and offend anyone who might be reading, but political corruption is the first thing I think about when someone says Utah. I'll just leave it at that.

Fair enough. One man's food is another man's poison. If you didn't have a good experience, I empathize.

Corruption exists everywhere. 

It's ironic that you mentioned politics though, because the other city you mentioned (Minneapolis), I think it should be the poster child for what can happen when one side of the the fence gets their way fully. Like literally everything from horrendous immigration policies, to no law and order, to no respect for life, liberty or property... plenty of corruption too. The end result of it all is Minneapolis as it exists today... and then people move from places that become like Minneapolis to places like Texas and Utah, to be saved from themselves and what they have created.

We live, we learn... hopefully. Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:40 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: and then people move from places that become like Minneapolis to places like Texas and Utah, to be saved from themselves and what they have created. Tongue

I believe you about Minneapolis. Sounds like you know better than me. 

I do NOT agree that Utah and Texas are comparable, and the things they do have in common aren't the things that bother me.

If you want to continue this conversation, we should take it to ROTW.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(12-07-2023, 03:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I've been there many times. I have never had a good experience. 

35 years in Dallas.  14 years in Austin.  Now about a year in the SLC area.

It's definitely a unique culture.  I'd say it's been its own little bubble for many generations, but now becoming more integrated with the rest of the US.  Less than 50% mormon now.

Pretty high-growth, both because of immigration, as well as high birth rates.  Lots of tech companies moving here. Compared to Texas, low property taxes, but a 5% state income tax tends to even things out.

Super convenient for skiiers.  Get off the airplane and be on the slopes in less than an hour.

Still very right-leaning politically, but moderating somewhat, especially in SLC proper.  

Protectionist policies and politics have made it slow for some outside businesses / industries to compete here, although some significant movement has happened in the past few years.
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, RGP1981
Like Reply