Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Doncic Trade ?
When I am getting annoyed with Luka's flaws the easiest way to get over it is remembering that prior to his draft Harrison Barnes was the teams first option. Mavs without Luka are the current Wizards. When I am complaining about Luka it is more about the untapped potential.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 03:37 PM)mvossman Wrote: Except the fit doesn't work without Luka.  Kyrie is not prime Kawhi and we don't have anything close to FVV.

Kyrie isnt a slouch on defense.   I dont care what his stats say...ive seen him stay in front of his ball handler while also displaying above average IQ when attempting to steal the ball.  Can current era players bully him down into the paint...I guess there are a few...but he isnt a zero on defense, imo.

Our problem is in the paint and rebounding...not with Kyrie's defense.
Like Reply
Luka for Javale McGee, who says no?
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 04:01 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Kyrie isnt a slouch on defense.   I dont care what his stats say...ive seen him stay in front of his ball handler while also displaying above average IQ when attempting to steal the ball.  Can current era players bully him down into the paint...I guess there are a few...but he isnt a zero on defense, imo.

Kyrie doesnt defend at  all .He  acts like he does but  he  does not .Im not not a  big fan of the " eye test".
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 02:19 PM)Charles dexter ward Wrote: "Midly critical posts"   when you say  the  team is better  without   him its  not  "midly critical ".Feel free to hate but a t least  admit it.

I have said nothing of the sort. 

When others post on/off data that seems to indicate the team does better with Luka resting, I highly doubt they're meaning to suggest the Dallas Mavericks would be better without Luka on the roster. Maybe some of the cooks on Twitter/Reddit who are GENERAL NBA fans might feel that way, but I know of no sane contributor to this board who has indicated that they do. Luka is our favorite player as a collective, basically. 

On another subject, I'm getting a "2nd account from someone with an axe to grind" vibe from your first few posts here. Is there a reason you're kicking the door in so aggressively?
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 04:01 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Kyrie isnt a slouch on defense.   I dont care what his stats say...ive seen him stay in front of his ball handler while also displaying above average IQ when attempting to steal the ball.  Can current era players bully him down into the paint...I guess there are a few...but he isnt a zero on defense, imo.

I'm confused by this comment.  Its in response to me saying he was not prime Kawhi.  Are you suggesting his defense is in the ballpark of Kawhi?  He is not a terrible defender, but he is an undersized guard who can be hunted.  Our size issues are across the lineup, not just the bigs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 04:07 PM)Charles dexter ward Wrote: Kyrie doesnt defend at  all .He  acts like he does but  he  does not .Im not not a  big fan of the " eye test

Prob equal to Luka defense so its moot.
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 04:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I have said nothing of the sort. 

When others post on/off data that seems to indicate the team does better with Luka resting, I highly doubt they're meaning to suggest the Dallas Mavericks would be better without Luka on the roster. Maybe some of the cooks on Twitter/Reddit who are GENERAL NBA fans might feel that way, but I know of no sane contributor to this board who has indicated that they do. Luka is our favorite player as a collective, basically. 

On another subject, I'm getting a "2nd account from someone with an axe to grind" vibe from your first few posts here. Is there a reason you're kicking the door in so aggressively?

I dont  get  y you are so  triggered .And  no this  my first  account .Reddit  mavericks is  awfull and this forum looks the  best out there.

"Agressively" , lol.
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 04:18 PM)Charles dexter ward Wrote: I dont  get  y you are so  triggered .And  no this  my first  account .Reddit  mavericks is  awfull and this forum looks the  best out there.

"Agressively" , lol.

I'm not triggered at all, but your last reply seemed SUUUUUUUUPER triggered, to the point where I re-read my post several times to see how I might've offended you. It was a noticeably elevated level of aggression, yes.

What's up with your spacing? Are you typing from a keyboard? A phone?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 04:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm not triggered at all, but your last reply seemed SUUUUUUUUPER triggered, to the point where I re-read my post several times to see how I might've offended you. It was a noticeably elevated level of aggression, yes.

What's up with your spacing? Are you typing from a keyboard? A phone?

I  dont get  y  you are so personnal ,its pretty weird.I wont reply to you anymore .Im  just  here to talk about basketball .
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 04:27 PM)Charles dexter ward Wrote: I  dont get  y  you are so personnal ,its pretty weird.I wont reply to you anymore .Im  just  here to talk about basketball .

Bud, you came here claiming that we all have some weird agenda against one of the best two players this franchise has ever had and told Killer specifically that he's a hater and he should admit it...

This is weird.

Maybe Vintage Peja at work?
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 04:27 PM)Charles dexter ward Wrote: I  dont get  y  you are so personnal ,its pretty weird.I wont reply to you anymore .Im  just  here to talk about basketball .

It kind of seems like you're just here to hate on Luka, or maybe to accuse others of hating Luka. I can't tell which yet because you communicate pretty ineffectively. Either way, I'd welcome some "talk about basketball" so wake me up when you get to that part.
Like Reply
Hard to find players to put around Luka.

Reg season Luka can be super boring to watch...over dribbling, step back heat checks, lack of defense.

Luka is near perfect in playoffs unless he is trying to conserve energy on defense...its his reg season that is frustrating.

No one wants to trade him.
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 04:56 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Hard to find players to put around Luka.

Reg season Luka can be super boring to watch...over dribbling, step back heat checks, lack of defense.

Luka is near perfect in playoffs unless he is trying to conserve energy on defense...its his reg season that is frustrating.

He looks  like  a  smaller  version of  jokic . He  needs  to be surrounded  with good versatile role players.I dont think  the doncic , irving  experience  will work.
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 05:01 PM)Charles dexter ward Wrote: He looks  like  a  smaller  version of  jokic . He  needs  to be surrounded  with good versatile role players.I dont think  the doncic , irving  experience  will work.

Seems to be issues finding the guy players.

Its frustrating.

Aaron Gordon was the guy we needed.
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 05:20 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Seems to be issues finding the guy players.

Its frustrating.

Aaron Gordon was the guy we needed.

Absolutely gordon  was perfect.
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 04:56 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Hard to find players to put around Luka.

Its really not that hard.  Find 3&D guys who can ideally do a little something else.  Find a rim protecting rim runner.  Its not that hard to build around Luka, its just that this FO had been so bad at building period since acquiring him.  So many mistakes and burned assets.  This last offseason was a step in the right direction.  Another offseason like that and we should be in good shape.
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 01:43 PM)Charles dexter ward Wrote: So  logically i  think people here want him either benched or  traded because  he is apparently the root of all the  mavs   problems.

What   package will you accept  for him?

You mad bro?
Like Reply
(11-28-2023, 03:15 PM)mvossman Wrote: I blame the FO more than Kidd for the rotation issue.  After that WCF run our big signing is an offense only big and then mid season we trade our best defender away for an offense only guard.  Until this last offseason this team has been actively getting small and worse defensively.
I mean, the article was about this team, this year. He also listed 6 defenders, with 1 of them being out (Maxi). Six plus the 2 in Kyrie and Luka makes an 8 man rotation. Add in 1 from the list of “others” to play when 1 of Luka or Kyrie are sitting and that’s a 9 man rotation.

It’s similar to the rotation I proposed not too long ago.

Luka/Kyrie/Exum as the guard rotation 

Green/DJJ as the SF rotation

GWill/Maxi/Lively as the bigs rotation 

That’s a big IF Maxi can still be a good defender. That’s the ideal to Iztok’s article to me. With Maxi out, we CAN fit someone else in the “others” group, they just can’t be played when both Kyrie and Luka are on the floor at the same time and we have to give up size in that instance.

Tonight, things looked good with Luka/Kyrie/Green/DJJ/Lively to close the game.

All that to say, it’s at the very least as much on coaching as it is on the FO. I’d say more on coaching since Iztok showed the numbers bare it out.
Like Reply
I would like to see Luka Doncic join the Utah Jazz. They seem like a better fit for Luka and he would be perfect as the face of the Jazz franchise.

Danny Ainge will build a better team around Doncic than Cuban & Co ever have or ever will. Will Hardy is a nice young coach too. Luka might even focus on working out more and playing defense after joining the Jazz, like Lauri Markannen has. There is also a large Slovenian community in Utah. It's also better than Luka leaving to join the Lakers or make a super-team elsewhere.

Luka, Keyonte/Agbaji, a stud 3&D SF, Markkanen, Kessler/Hendricks... will rule the NBA.

The Mavericks get all of the Utah Jazz's picks, including the ones owed to them by the Timberwolves.
Like Reply