Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 13: Milwaukee Bucks (9-4) vs. Dallas Mavericks (9-4) | 125-132 loss
Great game to watch, too bad Mavs didn't win. A good team exposed Mavs awful defense and limitations of some role players that have to play bigger roles than what they are capable to do.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-18-2023, 10:36 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Green's contract may not even be a discount if he doesn't play better. Instead of taking the next step everyone expected, he's regressed.

Its looking more like highway robbery than a discount at this point.
Like Reply
Had the lead and 2 freebies coming with 5:08 to go. Over the next 3 mins, refs awarded Bucks 9 FTs, essentially ending the game. A 20 to 10 FTA differential in the game. Meaning Mavs took one more FT on the game than Bucks got in those 3 game-deciding mins.

Oh, and Lively only gets 24 mins due to foul trouble. And DJJ gets put on the floor every single drive to the hoop.

But yeah, right, this is because the Bucks are “better.”

Edit: Forgot to mention the Portis elbow to Exum’s chops. No review. Nothing to see here.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • rocky164, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Josh needs to fall out of the rotation for a few weeks. Maybe he’ll get back on track.
Like Reply
Josh Green has surpassed Kidd as enemy #1  Tongue

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comme...the_worst/
Like Reply
(11-18-2023, 10:55 PM)The Jom Wrote: Had the lead and 2 freebies coming with 5:08 to go. Over the next 3 mins, refs awarded Bucks 9 FTs, essentially ending the game. A 20 to 10 FTA differential in the game. Meaning Mavs took one more FT on the game than Bucks got in those 3 game-deciding mins.

Oh, and Lively only gets 24 mins due to foul trouble. And DJJ gets put on the floor every single drive to the hoop.

Edit: Forgot to mention the Portis elbow to Exum’s chops. No review. Nothing to see here.

Agreed.  It was egregious.  Kidd needs to be more vocal about this.  Luka had a drive to the basket late in the game where Lillard literally fouled him 3 times.  There was no call.  

Kidd should have challenged the Kyrie/Dame 3-point foul.  I saw no contact there and it was a three point gift from the officials at a critical time in the game.

Many of our role players did not perform well and that's probably the greatest reason we lost.  However, it would help if our coach would actually speak with the officials and ask for explanations as the other NBA coaches do.  Kidd can ask that it be called evenly on both sides.   Kidd has done some really good things this year.  Kidd's silence though hurts our team.  Kidd should do some of the complaining so Luka doesn't have to protest every missed call himself.
Like Reply
(11-18-2023, 10:36 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Damian Lillard continues to have one of the softest whistles in the league. They still call that bullshit foul for 3 FTs? 
Slightest touch on Giannis is a foul. I miss FIBA refs.

Cam Freaking Payne destroyed Josh Green today..Its sad that Dante Exum is now the best Aussie in the team, and that is not a slight at Exum.

Powell plays much much smaller than his size, he might as well have been a guard out there. But nothing we dont know already. Powell needs to be a 3rd string center.

Such a frustrating loss, it was there for the taking. Wiliams missed a bunch of clutch 3's, but the way he has been shooting for the season I give him a pass. Jones too.

Green has had a bad stretch of games.  His defense has not been very effective lately.  The energy is still great on defense.  The athleticism is really good.  Efficacy is not good though.  He needs better defensive coaching and needs to have his minutes cut back somewhat.  Exum is outplaying Josh and probably deserves a larger role.  There is too much dramatic whining about Josh on the board though.  He played pretty well for us last season and it's weird how many fans here have completely given up on him 13 games into the season.  We need an athletic, quick defender on the roster.  Ideally, he'd be a low usage but high efficiency shooter as well.  Josh Green is the only player on the roster who potentially satisfies those criteria.

Dwight Powell is a good backup in certain games.  Unfortunately, this wasn't one of them.  Lopez and Giannis are just too big and physical for Dwight to compete with.  We really could have used a bigger backup center tonight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Yeah it's starting to look him Green and his agent scammed the Mavs. He is a minimum contract player. After 3 years of film, teams are starting to realize that when he's in the game, he is only going to stay glued to the corner so they can afford to hide their worst defender on him (or let their star rest by putting them on Green). But they're also not going to leave him open either so that's why he's not getting many shot attempts when the ball can't swing his way. Opponents are willing to take away that section of the floor and play 4 vs. 4 against the rest.

Overall, he's just a tweener and not a fit for this roster. Not a wing and not small/quick enough to guard PGs so that's why he gets torched vs. opposing PGs like Cam Payne and Tyus Jones. A DFS for Green trade in the offseason is looking pretty good right now!
Like Reply
(11-18-2023, 10:36 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Green's contract may not even be a discount if he doesn't play better. Instead of taking the next step everyone expected, he's regressed.

I wonder how much of his regression is due to lack of confidence generated from not be given the starting job at the beginning of the season.  DJJ has been great, but in my opinion he didn’t do anything to deserve winning the starting spot opening night.  To his credit he has played well and is earning that position.  But I think it has gotten into Josh’s head causing the regression.  Just a thought…..
Like Reply
(11-18-2023, 10:55 PM)The Jom Wrote: Had the lead and 2 freebies coming with 5:08 to go. Over the next 3 mins, refs awarded Bucks 9 FTs, essentially ending the game. A 20 to 10 FTA differential in the game. Meaning Mavs took one more FT on the game than Bucks got in those 3 game-deciding mins.

Unfortunately whistles were one sided especially late.  Can’t completely blame the loss on the refs as we missed makable shots in the same time frame.  But it does make you wonder what the outcome would have been if the last 5 minutes would have been called evenly.
Like Reply
He needs to play better. Period. He has it in him. It feels like he is having trouble finding his footing. Hardaway, rightfully so, has take a lot of the bandwidth and the Mavs have signed two bigger players who are, so far, playing better in the role the Mavs want Green to play in.

Whether he starts or plays heavy bench minutes this looks much better if Green is averaging 11-12 points per game and playing better and impactful defense. Add his hustle to the equation and it is an important role. Unfortunately we have seen too many 3 point games with not impactful defense from him.
Like Reply
(11-18-2023, 11:49 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: . . . Green . . . not small/quick enough to guard PGs so that's why he gets torched . . . .

They don’t come any quicker, amigo. He’s as quick of a player as the league has. Out played by Exum of late? Sure. But Exum has been phenomenal. So that’s no dis. Give the kid some time. He’s been good before. He’ll get there again.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(11-18-2023, 09:40 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Green struggling again.  Few good hustle plays but he seems to be struggling on defense.  I feel whenever someone goes at him that they will score.

Overrated maybe?  Everyone was singing his praises. He still hasn't shown me  any consistency on offense and his D hasn't been that stellar either.
Like Reply
(11-18-2023, 11:58 PM)rocky164 Wrote: I wonder how much of his regression is due to lack of confidence generated from not be given the starting job at the beginning of the season.  DJJ has been great, but in my opinion he didn’t do anything to deserve winning the starting spot opening night.  To his credit he has played well and is earning that position.  But I think it has gotten into Josh’s head causing the regression.  Just a thought…..

Regardless if Josh wants the starting job he has to play better. So far he's proven Kidd correct to not start him, and frankly he's having one of the coldest cold spells in his career.

The dude looked off Kyrie in the 2nd that even caused Kyrie to go WTF at him and he was promptly benched for Exum the rest of the quarter on the next possession.

I've been on the Green train but so far he's shat the bed and I'm struggling to find what his role on this team is.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I knew demoting Green right after signing him to a contract was going to backfire on us at some point. Killed his confidence
Like Reply
(11-18-2023, 11:27 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: There is too much dramatic whining about Josh on the board though.  He played pretty well for us last season and it's weird how many fans here have completely given up on him 13 games into the season.  We need an athletic, quick defender on the roster.  Ideally, he'd be a low usage but high efficiency shooter as well.  Josh Green is the only player on the roster who potentially satisfies those criteria.

Dwight Powell is a good backup in certain games.  Unfortunately, this wasn't one of them.  Lopez and Giannis are just too big and physical for Dwight to compete with.  We really could have used a bigger backup center tonight.

Agree on the dramatic whining...especially as it relates to last night.  To say -27 is some kind of indication this was on Josh is ridiculous.  He had very little role in the Milwaukee runs:

14-0 run in the second (so -14 for anyone in the game at that time) was because we went 0-3 and had 3 turnovers.  The missed shots were GWill, and two by Luka.  The TO's were one each by GWill, Luka and DJJ.

There was a 15-5 run in the third where we also went cold (2 of 5) and Luka and THJ had turnovers.

The killer was a 16-2 run by the Bucks in the fourth where we missed 7 of 8 shots and both of the FT's we were awarded.  GWill missed three 3's in this four minute stretch (and another in the final minute).  If we want to talk about role players who let us down tonight, it was DJJ going 0-7 for the game and GWill going 1-5 in the second half.  Has Green been good this season?  Absolutely not.  Something changed after that Detroit pre-season game where he looked so good.  But -27 = Josh sucks is an abuse of stats and blind to what actually killed us in those minutes. 

People here lose their mind when you suggest we need another high quality center with size.  No one is advocating that Lively shouldn't start and isn't the future of the position.  But some minimum wage backup isn't going to be any better than Powell in big games and in the playoffs.  We died when Lively picked up his fourth foul last night.  There has to be an answer other than Powell/Maxi when this happens (and it is going to keep happening for some time to come).
Like Reply
(11-19-2023, 06:32 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Agree on the dramatic whining...especially as it relates to last night.  To say -27 is some kind of indication this was on Josh is ridiculous.  He had very little role in the Milwaukee runs:

14-0 run in the second (so -14 for anyone in the game at that time) was because we went 0-3 and had 3 turnovers.  The missed shots were GWill, and two by Luka.  The TO's were one each by GWill, Luka and DJJ.

There was a 15-5 run in the third where we also went cold (2 of 5) and Luka and THJ had turnovers.

The killer was a 16-2 run by the Bucks in the fourth where we missed 7 of 8 shots and both of the FT's we were awarded.  GWill missed three 3's in this four minute stretch (and another in the final minute).  If we want to talk about role players who let us down tonight, it was DJJ going 0-7 for the game and GWill going 1-5 in the second half.  Has Green been good this season?  Absolutely not.  Something changed after that Detroit pre-season game where he looked so good.  But -27 = Josh sucks is an abuse of stats and blind to what actually killed us in those minutes. 

People here lose their mind when you suggest we need another high quality center with size.  No one is advocating that Lively shouldn't start and isn't the future of the position.  But some minimum wage backup isn't going to be any better than Powell in big games and in the playoffs.  We died when Lively picked up his fourth foul last night.  There has to be an answer other than Powell/Maxi when this happens (and it is going to keep happening for some time to come).

He´s avergaing 1.67 PPG, while shooting 2-10 in the last 85 minutes (three games). You think that has no impact on the team performance and is sufficient production for $14M/year? That´s the equivalent of Luka or Kyrie averaging 5 PPG. It´s blatantly obvious he´s hiding on the floor. They simply need to run plays for him, or he´ll continue to hide. Run him around 2-3 screens and force him to take the shots.
Like Reply
(11-19-2023, 06:32 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Agree on the dramatic whining...especially as it relates to last night.  To say -27 is some kind of indication this was on Josh is ridiculous.  He had very little role in the Milwaukee runs:

No overdramatic whining on Green. Just calling it like I see it. It's time for him to sh-t or get off the pot. Some of you guys hype up these players too much. OMax is another. But he gets a pass from me, because he's a rookie. Green isn't a rookie anymore.
Like Reply
(11-18-2023, 11:58 PM)rocky164 Wrote: I wonder how much of his regression is due to lack of confidence generated from not be given the starting job at the beginning of the season.  DJJ has been great, but in my opinion he didn’t do anything to deserve winning the starting spot opening night.  To his credit he has played well and is earning that position.  But I think it has gotten into Josh’s head causing the regression.  Just a thought…..

If Josh is that weak minded then we need to know and get rid of him. Period.
Like Reply

I’m not too worried about Green yet either. He’s fine coming off the bench and being given time to figure it out

While DJJ had a bad game, he has been a revelation. A long term starting unit upgrade would need to be a big defensive wing like him(that is a bit better offensively). 

Exum has been a revelation. We’ve needed a big defensive bench guard capable of attacking and dribbling. Able to guard off-ball perimeter and on-ball. He does everything THJ, Green, Hardy can’t do

Lively has been everything we could have hoped for. We can afford to live with the rookie mistakes. We do need a better backup though. There’s too many good teams with multiple quality bigs these days. I don’t think we should commit many assets to this though. Maybe a 2nd at most and if it’s not worth it I’m fine waiting for a buyout player. Olynyk/Drummond level player. We do that and we still have an extra possible playoff low minute big (Maxi) and we have a potential extra high ceiling big wing defender (O-Max). 

While i think the offseason is a better time for the next big move, i do think we should explore creative swaps. Orlando has the 2nd worst 3PT%. Isaac for THJ type of swap makes some sense
Like Reply