Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 7: Orlando Magic (4-3) vs. Dallas Mavericks (6-1) | 117-102 WIN!!!!!
Another story of two halves. Again horrible performance in the first, basically unwatchable. Magic was shooting it well, but they were wide open all the time. Non existing defense. But than totally different story in the second half again. Good defense leading to an even better defense. Mavs basically packed the paint against non shooting Orlando team. Luka looked much better than last two games. Kyrie still looking for his shot. Decisively lost rebounding battle, but Magic helped a lot with turnovers.

I am really happy with the win, thought Mavs will sit some guys and be no match for young and big Orlando team.
Like Reply
Mavs really need another great defender who is a 2-way threat. DJJ was great on defense (I think he had more than two blocks as the stats have them) and it was really bad without him, but he is just too limited on offense.
Like Reply
i wonder if i should just start skipping the first half and just watch the second half. would save me the frustration and just actually enjoy the game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes donzingis38's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 09:29 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just weird to rant about the same player over and over again. Even when he is playing great. But you do you.

Right. So even after I've explained what I'm saying you refuse to listen. You do you tho.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 10:45 PM)donzingis38 Wrote: i wonder if i should just start skipping the first half and just watch the second half. would save me the frustration and just actually enjoy the game.

I’ve done that the last two nights.  It has been great.  Nothing but + basketball.  Everyone is heroic.  It also gives me more time for other things.  I typically record the games anyway and start them late to I can fast forward through commercials and FT’s.  But, the last two nights I’ve noticed how far behind we were at halftime and just decided to skip the first half.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • donzingis38
Like Reply
Kidd coaching like his job is on the line playing a tight rotation this early in the season on a back to back. It’s the right rotation too. First time I can remember thinking that since he was forced to start Brunson when THJ was injured.
Like Reply
This game reminded me a lot of last season with Orlando playing the role of last year's Mavs.
Like Reply
Dirkie, Dirkie, Dirkie! We’ll have a lot to give out this year.
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 10:57 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Right. So even after I've explained what I'm saying you refuse to listen. You do you tho.

*deflected

Please explain the problem that you saw when the Mavs used Powell as the passing hub after the double team. Do you dislike FTs or open looks at the rim?
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
This is going to be another very tough Dirkie. Which is an outstanding problem to have
Like Reply
Per36 Powell has blocked more shots than Lively. THJ is a more efficient scorer than Kyrie/Hardy/Curry. How do we deal with scapegoats that are outplaying the fan favorites?
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 11:48 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Per36 Powell has blocked more shots than Lively. THJ is a more efficient scorer than Kyrie/Hardy/Curry. How do we deal with scapegoats that are outplaying the fan favorites?

Well, they’re winning, so as long as that keeps up we don’t really have to care about any of that.
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 11:48 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: How do we deal with scapegoats that are outplaying the fan favorites?

Trade them while their value is high (sort of)? Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like BolsDamols's post:
  • MFFL, omahen
Like Reply
As a general observation. Prior to the season I thought Kyrie would be in a score first role. But so far that hasn't been the case. More often than not Kyrie is trying to set up his teammates and getting everyone involved. At times to a fault when he is playing 2nd option to THJ or Hardy.
Feels like a big part of the 2nd half comebacks is a more aggressive approach from Kyrie. Up to him and the coaches to find ways to get him involved in the first half.
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 11:46 PM)MrGoat Wrote: This is going to be another very tough Dirkie. Which is an outstanding problem to have

Are you one of the Hardaway haters? Easily his best game of the season and possibly calendar year. Efficient scoring (hardly his calling card). Led the team in rebounds on a night when we got badly out rebounded. Second leading scorer. Zero turnovers. Of course he didn’t have the best game. He definitely stepped his game up the most, which is what the Dirkie is all about.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(11-06-2023, 11:39 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: *deflected

Please explain the problem that you saw when the Mavs used Powell as the passing hub after the double team. Do you dislike FTs or open looks at the rim?

The point I was trying to make is down the stretch I want the team to be going to actions that involve our 2 best players. I think Kidd should be having them do that more as a coach. It just so happened they they were doing a lot of Dwight PnR and tried to force feed him down low once. 

The 2011 Heat were best when they ran their Horns sets. Specifically, ones that involved "The Big 3". I just think a serious coach would be getting our best players involved together more often. Despite our solid offensives numbers, there is so much being left on the table.

I think Dwight has been playing solid this season for what it's worth. He's a fine backup center vs most teams. Some of these big teams like DEN are going to require some alternative if we want to be victorious. I also don't think Kidd is doing him any favors with some of these lineups.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(11-07-2023, 12:29 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: As a general observation. Prior to the season I thought Kyrie would be in a score first role. But so far that hasn't been the case. More often than not Kyrie is trying to set up his teammates and getting everyone involved. At times to a fault when he is playing 2nd option to THJ or Hardy.
Feels like a big part of the 2nd half comebacks is a more aggressive approach from Kyrie. Up to him and the coaches to find ways to get him involved in the first half.

Kyrie had most shots on the team in this game, even after a bad 1 of 7 start in the first half. His efficiency is biggest reserve Mavs have, imho (while we have to expect that GW will not shoot 55 % from three for the season). 

I don't think it is so much about Kyrie trying to set up his teammates but more about THJ taking his almost every time he touches the ball. Hardy is not far behind in this category, although in general I like his attempts more than THJ. 

I think it is good to have someone who needs very little space to shoot it. But a lot of THJ attempts come early in the clock, from the dribble and against set defense. If such shots are really necessary (I don't think they are), I think Luka and Kyrie would be more efficient taking them. On the other hand, so far his efficiency has been mostly solid and he is putting pressure on defenses. I don't know, personally I would prefer he didn't take a couple of shots each game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
What a tale between two halves.  I spend the first half thinking we are way too short (especially when Hardaway is guarding 4s and Powell as our only rim presence.  It just seems like teams are getting easy looks in the paint.

While I still think we desperately need more size, the second half is a different story and the defense improves.  Not sure why the offense and defense typically looks much improved in the second halfs.
Like Reply
Pretty sure if I created an nba player in a lab that I thought would be exactly what this roster needed it would come out eerily similar to Paolo Banchero.
Like Reply
(11-07-2023, 09:58 AM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Pretty sure if I created an nba player in a lab that I thought would be exactly what this roster needed it would come out eerily similar to Paolo Banchero.
I’d say Jaden McDaniels.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply