Poll: What is the amount of games needed before Kidd gets fired mid-season?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
10-15 before december
0%
0 0%
20-30 before all-star
3.45%
1 3.45%
40+
6.90%
2 6.90%
N/A, Kidd won't be fired midseason no matter what
89.66%
26 89.66%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Kidd really the best head coach for this team?
(01-25-2024, 12:52 AM)LifeAquatic Wrote: Hmmm... who would be a great coach here? Dreaming of someone who is creative with X's and O's, plays to the strengths of his players and can motivate them to do their best to overcome their weaknesses, and can also be one mean sonofabitch who takes no shit and is a leader...

Absolutely zero chance the Mavs would hire a "mean sonofabitch"
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 06:23 PM)MFFL Wrote: Absolutely zero chance the Mavs would hire a "mean sonofabitch"

I like  Jimmy Johnson's fire...

I like Michael Irvin's love for the Cowboys and fire...

But that "mean" stuff only works if used situationally and with good timing these days.

No one wants to be abused by people in a more plush spot.

I get that a lot of players make more than coaches.

How about the coaches learn to spark players without using hate or anger.  How about that?  

The quickest way to results is hate?   Eh.   Both sides need to work on themselves.

One of my favorite sports quotes if from Chip Kelly when with the Eagles....he was asked if he scolds players to get them to respond accordingly...he said "Thats Harry High School stuff".   I agree.   Its on the GM to get professionals in the room that dont have to be yelled at to function.  Not the coaches job to yell constantly.   It makes the coach look bad and turns off the team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Jimmy Johnson type is exactly what I was talking about. You can take the "mean" word literally if you want, but essentially a coach that can be a good cop and bad cop as needed and has the backing and wherewithal to get in star players' grills if need be to get him to focus. That of course also requires backing of a front office and management. (See Riley and Heat)
Like Reply
If I'm correct both JJ and RC also have degrees in psychology.
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/9gZ1cety_EM?feature=shared
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
I think this 4-game road trip could be the beginning of the end of Kidd's time here. Seems like this could lead to his downfall. Completely outcoached by RC, blew a winnable game againt the Cavs, let's see what else this road trip from hell can lead to.
[-] The following 2 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • BigDirk41, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I keep asking myself what a coach like Budenholzer could do with this same exact roster.

Heck what could Pop or Spo do with this roster?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
It is still too early. I am going to keep my personal thoughts out of this for now.

If this team is one and done in the play-in, then evaluation needs to be made. We will see if Nico is a serious GM. Players like Kidd (heck he was in Mexico with Luka over the break) and him and Nico have been friends for a long time. But this is a business. You don't skip out when you have a generational player. Even if that player likes the coach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-27-2024, 09:43 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: I think this 4-game road trip could be the beginning of the end of Kidd's time here. Seems like this could lead to his downfall. Completely outcoached by RC, blew a winnable game againt the Cavs, let's see what else this road trip from hell can lead to.

Well...hopefully they can at least salvage one game tonight vs Toronto, who has won 3 straight.  Unfortunately, I don't see them beating Boston who has lost just 3 times at home all season.
Like Reply
(02-19-2024, 12:26 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: https://youtu.be/9gZ1cety_EM?feature=shared

Personally my favorite point guard of all time but then I was always watching him as a season ticket holder. Good video. Maybe his coaching skills can improve from good to great like we want just like his 3 point shot and lack of a title did. I like how he told the huge stars they were not allowed to lose an international game and they never did.
Like Reply
(02-28-2024, 03:21 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Personally my favorite point guard of all time but then I was always watching him as a season ticket holder. Good video. Maybe his coaching skills can improve from good to great like we want just like his 3 point shot and lack of a title did. I like how he told the huge stars they were not allowed to lose an international game and they never did.

For a basketball savant his X's and O's stuff is super disappointing. Then again...even as a player his biggest weakness was half court offense.
If we are being honest Kidd probably wouldn't have gotten a third opportunity if it wasn't for his resumee as a player. With the Mavs as the only remaining option. If he fails in Dallas his coaching career is over.
Like Reply
Bad week for Kidd and his staff. Post-All Star Break, it's looking like teams have started to figure out how to attack the new-look Mavs on offense and defense. 
  • Defensively - limit the Mavs' ball movement by being disciplined against Luka/Kyrie. Let them go 1 on 1 and stay home on the others/don't help from the weak side so that will limit the passing and kills the ball movement. Mavs have been held to below season average (25.4) in team assists in their 3 losses (15, 23, 20). This is a strategy that has been used successfully by a few teams in the past and looks like the best way to defend the Mavs offense, even if the 2 scorers go off. 
  • Offensively - lots of action to get mismatches and force the Mavs to play team defense by making proper reads and rotations. They've gotten burned by great passing and 3-pt shooting in these 3 losses (and even though Toronto lost, they still had 34 assists).

If he can't adjust and they end up missing the playoffs again then he will be fired...and there's nothing Cuban can do about it!
Like Reply
Just wondering which fanbase hates their coach more, the Lakers or the Mavs?

The nickname for Ham is Darvin Hamas.

I've seen on twitter now we got Jason Al-Kidda.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 02:07 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Just wondering which fanbase hates their coach more, the Lakers or the Mavs?

The nickname for Ham is Darvin Hamas.

I've seen on twitter now we got Jason Al-Kidda.

It's an easy question... at least as far as answering which coach is more deserving of hate. Ham is way dumber and is a way, way worse coach.
Like Reply
This is the reason Kidd should be fired. Watch this video. Kidd got so outcoached by Rick isn't not even fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIQPiM8cPeA
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 06:34 PM)audiosway Wrote: This is the reason Kidd should be fired. Watch this video. Kidd got so outcoached by Rick isn't not even fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIQPiM8cPeA

That same guy also made this video, titled... RICK CARLISLE is an all time terrible NBA head coach! Huh

Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 06:54 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: That same guy also made this video, titled...  RICK CARLISLE is an all time terrible NBA head coach! Huh

That's his bit. He has videos about ALL the coaches. He made one about Nick Nurse recently, and he's one of the best in the world.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 07:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's his bit. He has videos about ALL the coaches. He made one about Nick Nurse recently, and he's one of the best in the world.

Only value the videos provide is a play-by-play of defensive breakdowns. Otherwise it is just one guy with one idea how teams are supposed to defend.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen, RGP1981
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 07:27 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Only value the videos provide is a play-by-play of defensive breakdowns. Otherwise it is just one guy with one idea how teams are supposed to defend.

Yes, his knowledge is sophomoric, like he thinks what he was taught in high school is the only way to play.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(03-07-2024, 07:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yes, his knowledge is sophomoric, like he thinks what he was taught in high school is the only way to play.

Seems like he's doing okay lately.

Crazy how coaches get smarter when their teams win more, eh?
Like Reply