Poll: What is the amount of games needed before Kidd gets fired mid-season?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
10-15 before december
0%
0 0%
20-30 before all-star
3.45%
1 3.45%
40+
6.90%
2 6.90%
N/A, Kidd won't be fired midseason no matter what
89.66%
26 89.66%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Kidd really the best head coach for this team?
As the title states, is this really the best coach for the team? His first season here is appearing to be an anomaly. Preseason hasn't made me any more confident that this team has anything new and they are still marred with the same issues that allowed them to miss the playoffs. 

The title question is a bit of a gimmie question, because I think most agree here that the answer is no, Kidd isn't the best guy. 

So a fun question I pose to the board, what is the minimum amount of games the Mavs need to lose for Kidd to be fired mid-season. If they open 0-10 is he on the hot seat? How about 5-15? What is the scenario that gets Kidd most likely fired?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-10-2023, 11:13 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: As the title states, is this really the best coach for the team? His first season here is appearing to be an anomaly. Preseason hasn't made me any more confident that this team has anything new and they are still marred with the same issues that allowed them to miss the playoffs. 

The title question is a bit of a gimmie question, because I think most agree here that the answer is no, Kidd isn't the best guy. 

So a fun question I pose to the board, what is the minimum amount of games the Mavs need to lose for Kidd to be fired mid-season. If they open 0-10 is he on the hot seat? How about 5-15? What is the scenario that gets Kidd most likely fired?

What can the Mavs’ history with Avery Johnson teach us about this situation?

Do we think Cuban and Harrison think Kidd is at fault? Does Luka?

Now that Nurse is tied up in Philly, Stevens is a GM, Carlisle is ensconced in IND and of course we know Spo would never come here, what coach is even out there that we think can fix this? The MEM guy is impressive. Maybe he’s getting sick of the drama out there?
Like Reply
(10-10-2023, 11:59 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: What can the Mavs’ history with Avery Johnson teach us about this situation?

Do we think Cuban and Harrison think Kidd is at fault? Does Luka?

Now that Nurse is tied up in Philly, Stevens is a GM, Carlisle is ensconced in IND and of course we know Spo would never come here, what coach is even out there that we think can fix this? The MEM guy is impressive. Maybe he’s getting sick of the drama out there?

That's one of the big problems. NBA teams operate like the league is one big fraternity. Aren't even considering options that don't belong to the small bubble of coaches/former players. There are so many talented coaches (even from the US) in europe. There is an endless list of college coaches with impressive records.
Like Reply
Hell No!...Kidd is not the best coach. But he won't be let go no matter what.

Actually...I thought Avery Johnson was a good gym coach, but horrible in game coach. Still...he had to go.
Like Reply
(10-10-2023, 11:59 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: What can the Mavs’ history with Avery Johnson teach us about this situation?

If we're following Avery's trajectory, this is Kidd's prove it year and if they underperform again he'll be dismissed at the end of the year. 

But do you not think there is a scenario where this team underperforms so hideously that it doesn't force a massive change? Mavs have already embarrassed themselves by not making the playoffs with a guy like Luka. Imagine opening the year 5-15 after touting all the upgrades from the offseason and improved chemistry. At what point do you rightfully blame the lack of coaching? 

Quote:Do we think Cuban and Harrison think Kidd is at fault? Does Luka?

I think after a solid offseason with a multitude of upgrades and players Kidd approved of there is still glaring issues, I don't see how Cubes+Nico cannot blame Kidd. He is the 1 constant variable. I don't think Nico really takes into account what Luka wants, whether that be good or bad.

Quote:Now that Nurse is tied up in Philly, Stevens is a GM, Carlisle is ensconced in IND and of course we know Spo would never come here, what coach is even out there that we think can fix this? The MEM guy is impressive. Maybe he’s getting sick of the drama out there?

There is Budenholzer still available. We can follow in the footsteps of MIL in that way. As dirkfansince1998 put it, there are a multitude of talented coaches overseason and in the G-League. I am such a Kidd non believer that I think you could probably blindly pick anyone from Euroleague/G-League/College and they'd perform better than Kidd.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I don't think he's the best coach for the team, but I'm not sure that Nico has the authority or ability to find someone better, or that a better coach would want the job. If you are a coach with other options do you want to gamble on being able to manage Luka and Kyrie into contention? If you can't the team is fucked long term and you're going to get fired before you have a chance to build anything else. You either need a guy old enough and with enough skins on the wall that he isn't afraid of his reputation taking a hit if it doesn't work out (a Van Gundy? or barf Doc Rivers) or roll the dice on a young college coach or NBA assistant who still has enough testosterone to try and fight Luka when he cusses him out on the sideline.
Like Reply
(10-10-2023, 12:50 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: There is Budenholzer still available. We can follow in the footsteps of MIL in that way. As dirkfansince1998 put it, there are a multitude of talented coaches overseason and in the G-League. I am such a Kidd non believer that I think you could probably blindly pick anyone from Euroleague/G-League/College and they'd perform better than Kidd.

Budenholzer would be much better than Kidd--though there are some questions about his in game decisions.  I think a European coach would be a better choice.  I don't know if they are available, but someone like Dusan Ivkovic, or Dimitris Itoudis.  New blood, new thinking...and I think Luka could work with them--especially Itoudis.

I'm also available.  I'll stay close to the phone just in case...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Who do you want? RC? Luka ran off RC. However let’s not bring that up.

Which coach is going to make Luka stop complaining on every call? Which coach can make him focus on defense? Which coach can make him be patient and willing to play off ball for long stretches?

Luka is frustrating because he is an offensive savant that I have not seen the likes of but there are other aspects of his game that will keep this team down.

You can bring in any coach here but bring in someone who can get through to Luka. That to me is more important than Xs and Os.
Like Reply
(10-14-2023, 10:55 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Who do you want? RC?  Luka ran off RC. However let’s not bring that up.

Which coach is going to make Luka stop complaining on every call?  Which coach can make him focus on defense?  Which coach can make him be patient and willing to play off ball for long stretches?

Luka is frustrating because he is an offensive savant that I have not seen the likes of but there are  other aspects of his game that will keep this team down. 

You can bring in any coach here but bring in someone  who can get through to Luka. That to me is more important than Xs and Os.

This perspective has validity, don't get me wrong. I have become increasingly frustrated with some of the issues you mention. But, they didn't seem AS troubling when the offensive principles demonstrated by the team were more sound, organized and practiced. 

I am honestly unsure at this point whether Luka is trending more towards ball-hoggery because he "doesn't get it" or because there really just isn't much of an organizing offensive system in place here anymore, leaving him little choice but to try to make things happen on his own. Without the spacing that Carlisle worked so hard to implement here, I might add. 

Can't be said enough: the back half of Kidd's first season, which was as successful as it could've possibly been, he basically let them go back to the systems Carlisle had in place and gave up on that whole "remake the bubble Lakers" dream (which is really more of a nightmare, if you ask me). The first half of that season was AWFUL, and instead of building on what worked down the stretch, Kidd has stubbornly doubled down on how he wants to play ever since. It's obviously less modern, less cutting edge and most importantly, way less fun to watch. That would be fine if accompanied by the "more defense and more wins" we were promised, but in truth, the defense is worse and the wins are fewer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
I think most of us have a low opinion of Kidd right now. Overachieved year one and massively underachieved last year.

I think the two areas I am looking for is communication and sound strategy. It appears communication from Kidd sucked last year. To hear Hardaway not knowing his supposed role at media day was confusing. The mavs have young players and vets. How he communicates clearly with this players and explains their role is an important part of the coach’s job.

For sound strategy, I want to see how they adapt when teams take away things from you. How do they navigate the simpler stuff. Again last year it felt like there was a lot of shrugging when their initial plan did not work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-14-2023, 11:10 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This perspective has validity, don't get me wrong. I have become increasingly frustrated with some of the issues you mention. But, they didn't seem AS troubling when the offensive principles demonstrated by the team were more sound, organized and practiced. 

I am honestly unsure at this point whether Luka is trending more towards ball-hoggery because he "doesn't get it" or because there really just isn't much of an organizing offensive system in place here anymore, leaving him little choice but to try to make things happen on his own. Without the spacing that Carlisle worked so hard to implement here, I might add. 

Can't be said enough: the back half of Kidd's first season, which was as successful as it could've possibly been, he basically let them go back to the systems Carlisle had in place and gave up on that whole "remake the bubble Lakers" dream (which is really more of a nightmare, if you ask me). The first half of that season was AWFUL, and instead of building on what worked down the stretch, Kidd has stubbornly doubled down on how he wants to play ever since. It's obviously less modern, less cutting edge and most importantly, way less fun to watch. That would be fine if came with the "more defense and more wins" we were promised, but in truth, the defense is worse and the wins are fewer.

KL I am totally fine with Kidd being gone. More than even the Xs and Os part, is that I now know he won’t be the guy to reach through to Luka. That by itself is enough for me.  The franchise has to make a decision. Ask Luka who is he willing to listen to make a change or setiously start exploring to get the most for him. I have reached that point.
Like Reply
(10-14-2023, 11:52 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: KL I am totally fine with Kidd being gone. More than even the Xs and Os part, is that I now know he won’t be the guy to reach through to Luka. That by itself is enough for me.  The franchise has to make a decision. Ask Luka who is he willing to listen to make a change or setiously start exploring to get the most for him. I have reached that point.

I am not quite there yet with Luka, because I can still remember the difference that was made overnight here just by dropping him onto the roster. In all my years following sports, I'd never before witnessed such an instant transformation as a result of adding one player to one of the teams I follow everyday. 

But...on the other hand, I kind of get it. 

The thing I can't let go of is SPACING. I strongly believe THE reason Luka and Brunson were so dominant in those playoffs was that Dallas' spacing was superior to that of most teams. I think almost every team has 1-2 players who can't be stopped if the right organizing principles are in place, and Luka/Brunson were both at the top end of the "know what to do with all that space" spectrum.

IF Luka is to be your guy, you MUST play that way. He's not fast, and he's actually not that great of a shooter. You have to give him space, so that he can create unpredictable options for himself and others.

To me, that's coaching. System. I'd rather go back to a coach who LIKES offense than throw out Luka with the bathwater at this point.
Like Reply
(10-14-2023, 12:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I am not quite there yet with Luka, because I can still remember the difference that was made overnight here just by dropping him onto the roster. In all my years following sports, I'd never before witnessed such an instant transformation as a result of adding one player to one of the teams I follow everyday. 

But...on the other hand, I kind of get it. 

The thing I can't let go of is SPACING. I strongly believe THE reason Luka and Brunson were so dominant in those playoffs was that Dallas' spacing was superior to that of most teams. I think almost every team has 1-2 players who can't be stopped if the right organizing principles are in place, and Luka/Brunson were both at the top end of the "know what to do with all that space" spectrum.

IF Luka is to be your guy, you MUST play that way. He's not fast, and he's actually not that great of a shooter. You have to give him space, so that he can create unpredictable options for himself and others.

To me, that's coaching. System. I'd rather go back to a coach who LIKES offense than throw out Luka with the bathwater at this point.

I think more than space it was just that with Dinwiddie also hot, we had 3 guys who could legit create their own shot. The reality is that coaching is a bit overrated. That’s why superteams, even the ones put out overnight, are instant contenders. While that was not superteam, with what we know now of Brunson, that was a formidable one two punch with him and Luka. Dinwiddie getting hot, and the west being weaker then allowed the Mavs to make that major push. 

I would not base decisions on that run or blame the syatem since then. As mentioned Luka is an offensive savant, and I don’t use that word lightly. Next to Jordan and Jokic he is as close to unstoppable that I have seen.  For sure someone like him is not walking through the door when he is gone. I am not in a rush to give him up but Inam not understanding him either.  He can score in bunches anytime he wants. There is no reason to not play off the ball more and focus a bit more on defense. I am not asking him to be a legit two way player or to give up scoring. Just minor changes are required bit even that he seems to be unwilling.
Like Reply
Unequivocally no! Kidd looks like a deer in the headlights coaching this team.
Like Reply
Won’t make it to the trade deadline, maybe not even Christmas. Now we’re starting Jones Jr? What?

I can’t wait for this mess to be over.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesConway912's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
(10-24-2023, 06:15 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Won’t make it to the trade deadline, maybe not even Christmas. Now we’re starting Jones Jr? What?

I can’t wait for this mess to be over.

You are underrating Cuban's stubborness and the nepotism within the organization.
Like Reply
Mavs have a good roster, they'd win enough to look good, but IMHO, Kidd's going to be the constant cause on a string of causes why some easy wins turns out to be harder than it should be. Kidd's going to be one of the causes why the Mavs lose out winnable games, and Kidd's going to be the cause why against really good teams, the Mavs would look miserable.

The win count isn't going to tell how Kidd fared, and this goes to Kidd's advantage. Mavs would win enough for Kidd not to get fired in-season.

But it would be clear (if it is not clear enough today) that Kidd's not going to be the coach who gets them into true contention.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
Here's my Midd review.

Vibes: The players love to play for Mr. Midd. Most of them anyways...

Game Management: Won't call a timeout unless it's a 20-0 run.

Rotations: Who he's playing, when he's playing them and for how long... all atrocious.

Out of Bounds Plays: Does he have any?

End of Game: Give it to Luka

1/5 Stars
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 12:16 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Rotations: Who he's playing, when he's playing them and for how long... all atrocious.
He’s talked about this in postgame interviews. The coaching staff get together and predetermine the rotation. He follows that to a T.
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 12:43 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: He’s talked about this in postgame interviews. The coaching staff get together and predetermine the rotation. He follows that to a T.

I'd love to see what the dynamic is. 

47.5% - Everyone is scared of Mr. Midd's dictatorship
47.5% - Group think echo chamber
5% - Semi functional

I'm going with the dictator Midd theory because it fits my narrative.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply