Poll: What is the amount of games needed before Kidd gets fired mid-season?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
10-15 before december
0%
0 0%
20-30 before all-star
3.45%
1 3.45%
40+
6.90%
2 6.90%
N/A, Kidd won't be fired midseason no matter what
89.66%
26 89.66%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Kidd really the best head coach for this team?
Good points, Killer. But I also think one of the alternative explanations, that we NEED to play an offensive black hole like DJJ (I won't be fooled by the Grizzlies game) as a starter and around 17 mpg because it is THE ONLY WAY we can make the rotations work, would also display a sad state of afairs. And I am not buying this one either.

Is KIdd trying to be too smart and overthinking the obvious? Maybe I am being unfair. But I think it is just that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes meistermatze's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(10-31-2023, 05:02 PM)meistermatze Wrote: Good points, Killer. But I also think one of the alternative explanations, that we NEED to play an offensive black hole like DJJ (I won't be fooled by the Grizzlies game) as a starter and around 17 mpg because it is THE ONLY WAY we can make the rotations work, would also display a sad state of afairs. And I am not buying this one either.

Is KIdd trying to be too smart and overthinking the obvious? Maybe I am being unfair. But I think it is just that.

You might be 100% right. I just wish I could figure out what he's thinking. I could usually tell with Carlisle, even when I didn't agree with him.
Like Reply
That's where his behaviour towards the media comes into place. Mavsluvr pinpointed it perfectly back in the days. It is also a shame that non of the announcers try to delve into those kinds of intricacies to give us an idea.
Like Reply
I will repeat what I said many times before. Who starts is important. Not just for fans here, discussing the topic on and on, but also for players. I firmly believe you should start your best line-up for several reasons:
- Usually it is good to start your best line-up to ensure as good a start as possible.
- It impacts player value.
- it can impact locker room chemistry (why did that guy earn to start if I am clearly better. There could be two Mavs guys having this question atm)

Mavs are not a contender this year, they have to think long term. Not full tanking long term, but still. DJJ is here on a one year vet min deal. Even if he plays great, he will be most likely gone next season. Green is here for several more season, is young and his ceiling is a question mark. So it would make a lot of sense to feature him as much as possible to increase his value. Either to keep or trade.

There is also the effect on player who most think should start but doesn't. Questions and doubts immediately pop up about him. "Coach hates him", "team doesn't believe he is the long term solution", "his ceiling is low", "there must be something wrong with him in the locker room",... I firmly believe Wood result would be much different if Mavs made him a day 1 starter. Both for him as well as the team.

Edit: I fully agree with Meistermatze, that figuring out rotations after the starting unit so that you always have right balance between offense and defense on the floor, shouldn't be that hard. Some of us already pointed out, that puting DJJ in the starting line-up creates a situation, where Mavs have 4 SG on the bench, who are all good enough (or deserve) to play.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(11-01-2023, 04:05 AM)omahen Wrote: I will repeat what I said many times before. Who starts is important. Not just for fans here, discussing the topic on and on, but also for players. I firmly believe you should start your best line-up for several reasons:
- Usually it is good to start your best line-up to ensure as good a start as possible.
- it can impact locker room chemistry (why did that guy earn to start if I am clearly better. There could be two Mavs guys having this question atm)

Mavs are not a contender this year, they have to think long term. Not full tanking long term, but still. DJJ is here on a one year vet min deal. Even if he plays great, he will be most likely gone next season. Green is here for several more season, is young and his ceiling is a question mark. So it would make a lot of sense to feature him as much as possible to increase his value. Either to keep or trade.

There is also the effect on player who most think should start but doesn't. Questions and doubts immediately pop up about him. "Coach hates him", "team doesn't believe he is the long term solution", "his ceiling is low", "there must be something wrong with him in the locker room",... I firmly believe Wood result would be much different if Mavs made him a day 1 starter. Both for him as well as the team.

Edit: I fully agree with Meistermatze, that figuring out rotations after the starting unit so that you always have right balance between offense and defense on the floor, shouldn't be that hard. Some of us already pointed out, that puting DJJ in the starting line-up creates a situation, where Mavs have 4 SG on the bench, who are all good enough (or deserve) to play.

If Luka's conditioning is real (far from convinced this early), IMO this team is a contender by default. Luka being able to replicate his 1-3 qrt performance in the 4th is the difference from him literally being able to carry the team himself. But I would normally agree that you need trades for more pieces and probably the 2nd or 3rd year versions of what we hope Lively and Omax can be to really feel like this team is well rounded to contend around Luka.
Like Reply
(11-01-2023, 04:05 AM)omahen Wrote: I will repeat what I said many times before. Who starts is important. Not just for fans here, discussing the topic on and on, but also for players. I firmly believe you should start your best line-up for several reasons:

Seems like a large number of NBA players believe that they should be playing more than other teammates. Sometimes it goes over the top:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3488...on-twitter

One of the primary jobs of coaches and management is to frame the discussion away from “I’m better than teammate X” to “You’re a great fit in this particular role, which significantly helps the team.”

From the standpoint of reinforcing the “fit” angle rather than the “better than” angle, I can certainly understand why a coach wouldn’t just pile all his best offensive players into the starting lineup.

Curious (and somewhat skeptical) about the Kawhi/PG/Harden/Westbrook grouping.
Like Reply
Is it okay to point out that Kidd is undefeated this season?

Asking for a friend.
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, MFFL
Like Reply
I will say this about Kidd, during his first year here he was very engaged on the sidelines when we were on defense. Last year, I only remember a few times he was really up on the bench acting like he was on the floor defending. He has already done this several time last year. He must have really disliked the team last year. Not excusing his poor year but it looks much different so far.
Like Reply
One of the great things about JET coming off the bench rather than starting was that he’d typically get more time against the other team’s lesser defenders that way. And vice versa for opposing starters who had to go against Stevenson the first 6 mins of both halves. I’m not certain that’s a bad strategy. And I seem some similarities (excepting height) between the roles of Hardaway and Green this year (so far) and the roles of JET and JJB in 2011.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
Even before game 1 of the season starts, team looks better from the last, it's likely a guaranteed improvement in the win column. Just mentioned this a few times.. Kidd is going to win enough NOT to get fired. Maybe they'd keep him for now, but when they get to be legit contenders lineup-wise, the wise thing to do is get a better coach.
Like Reply
(11-08-2023, 03:25 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I will say this about Kidd, during his first year here he was very engaged on the sidelines when we were on defense.  Last year, I only remember a few times he was really up on the bench acting like he was on the floor defending.  He has already done this several time last year.  He must have really disliked the team last year.  Not excusing his poor year but it looks much different so far.

He's definitely looked WAY more engaged on the sidelines this year. Against Chicago I remember him screaming out sets and for guys to rotate. 

The issue is, if you're a head coach you have to do this for EVERY team. Doesn't matter the personnel. Maybe he was defeated but I think it's such a bad look he couldn't have cared less last year because he didn't like half the guys on the roster. He's getting paid 8 mil a year to figure this shit out.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Anyone feel the need to hedge their bets?
[-] The following 1 user Likes BoredAssistant's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
Kidd will NOT get fired mid-season.
And's that understandable.

But he SHOULD NOT be with the Mavs starting next season.
[-] The following 3 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • BigDirk41, BoredAssistant, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 11:26 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Kidd will NOT get fired mid-season.
And's that understandable.

But he SHOULD NOT be with the Mavs starting next season.

I agree, but I believe he will be and I’m pretty bummed about that.
Like Reply
Kidd has brought nothing to this team in 2.5 years. Avery Johnson was not a good coach but at least he helped change the culture and brought a defensive focus from the Nellie years. And Avery also encouraged Dirk to become more aggressive with the ball instead of just a shooter.

This has been a waste of 3 years, with a fluke WCF run where most of the key contributors on that team aren't even here anymore.
Like Reply
(01-24-2024, 11:57 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Kidd has brought nothing to this team in 2.5 years. Avery Johnson was not a good coach but at least he helped change the culture and brought a defensive focus from the Nellie years. And Avery also encouraged Dirk to become more aggressive with the ball instead of just a shooter.

This has been a waste of 3 years, with a fluke WCF run where most of the key contributors on that team aren't even here anymore.

The Western Conference finals run wasn’t a fluke, it was the culmination of what Carlisle had been building. Cool guy Jason Kidd Deserves some credit for motivating the team to reach its potential, and I suppose he also deserves some credit for ditching his plan to re-create the bubble Lakers about halfway through the season and going back to what Carlisle had designed the team to do… But that was Carlisle’s offense that got to the Western Conference finals.

What we’ve seen these past two years… That’s Jason Kidd.
Like Reply
KIDD NEEDS TO BE FIRED MID-SEASON BECAUSE IT'S A WASTE OF EVERYONE'S TIME.

3 years as a head coach. 1 WCF, 2 missed playoff appearances with a prime Luka? Yeah you should be shit canned.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, BoredAssistant
Like Reply
Hmmm... who would be a great coach here? Dreaming of someone who is creative with X's and O's, plays to the strengths of his players and can motivate them to do their best to overcome their weaknesses, and can also be one mean sonofabitch who takes no shit and is a leader...
[-] The following 1 user Likes LifeAquatic's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(01-25-2024, 12:52 AM)LifeAquatic Wrote: Hmmm... who would be a great coach here? Dreaming of someone who is creative with X's and O's, plays to the strengths of his players and can motivate them to do their best to overcome their weaknesses, and can also be one mean sonofabitch who takes no shit and is a leader...

Budenholzer. 

I'd say Nick Nurse when he was available this summer but the Mavs we're like "naw we're good with Kidd despite him missing the playoffs with a prime Luka"
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
1. It's not happening. Nico/Kidd was a package deal. Luka/Kyrie like Kidd.
2. If it happens it is going to be the same kind of "players coach". Pick one of the more popular names from the "coaches fraternity".

There are 2-3 coaches in the league that are allowed to coach. Have more power than star players. Pop, Spoelstra, maybe Kerr. That's it. Even RC knew that Luka was in charge. Unless the Mavs bring in a coach and back him up even if he clashes with the star players it is going to be more of the same.
Remember the Nash/Irving story with the Nets: "I don't really see us having a "head" coach. KD could be a head coach, I could be a head coach (some days)." With the expected outcome. Nash is fired early in the season. Vaughn takes over. In reality KD and Kyrie are running the team. Including play calls and rotations.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • MFFL, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply