Poll: What is the amount of games needed before Kidd gets fired mid-season?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
10-15 before december
0%
0 0%
20-30 before all-star
3.45%
1 3.45%
40+
6.90%
2 6.90%
N/A, Kidd won't be fired midseason no matter what
89.66%
26 89.66%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Kidd really the best head coach for this team?
(10-25-2023, 12:43 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: He’s talked about this in postgame interviews. The coaching staff get together and predetermine the rotation. He follows that to a T.

I'm going to assume, by coaching staff -- he means him and a couple of guys who can merely suggest, but whose opinions don't really matter.
Like Reply
I'm not a Kidd fan, but if they thought he was the problem he would have been gone in the offseason. Luka and Kyrie will keep this team competitive enough that he won't get fired mid-season, but if they are out in the play in game or even the first round I think they make a change for next season.
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 12:43 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: He’s talked about this in postgame interviews. The coaching staff get together and predetermine the rotation. He follows that to a T.

That's retarded. 

You can't script a basketball game. When you need more shooting, you switch up. When a player is killing you and you need someone to defend him, or want to change the scheme to shade coverage to an area he's working, that probably will require an odd substitution. And so on...

This is why Cuban should have never let Bob Ortegal go. Nellie used to come waaaaay out of left field with his substitutions, and Ortegal ALWAYS knew what he what thinking and explained the reasoning on the broadcast. Nowadays, Harper would have to wake up from his nap to even notice a substitution had been made, so even that is a 50-50 proposition. Consequently, there's a whole generation of Mavs fans who don't know one single damn thing about how NBA basketball works. 

I'm dumfounded that Kidd even thought SAYING this was a good idea, let alone actually approaching his job that way in real life. I REALLY hope it's not true.
[-] The following 6 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, ItsGoTime, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL, MrGoat, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 01:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's retarded. 

You can't script a basketball game. When you need more shooting, you switch up. When a player is killing you and you need someone to defend him, or want to change the scheme to shade coverage to an area he's working, that probably will require an odd substitution. And so on...

This is why Cuban should have never let Bob Ortegal go. Nellie used to come waaaaay out of left field with his substitutions, and Ortegal ALWAYS knew what he what thinking and explained the reasoning on the broadcast. Nowadays, Harper would have to wake up from his nap to even notice a substitution had been made, so even that is a 50-50 proposition. Consequently, there's a whole generation of Mavs fans who don't know one single damn thing about how NBA basketball works. 

I'm dumfounded that Kidd even thought SAYING this was a good idea, let alone actually approaching his job that way in real life. I REALLY hope it's not true.
I fully agree. I just remember at least once last year his answer was that’s how he did it. Sarcastic? Maybe. Trying to get under fan’s skin? Probably. It’s all we can go on though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 01:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm dumfounded that Kidd even thought SAYING this was a good idea, let alone actually approaching his job that way in real life.

This is the same guy that told the media that he's just watching the game like the rest of us.
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 02:56 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: This is the same guy that told the media that he's just watching the game like the rest of us.
Yep, and him having a preset rotation goes along with this quote. If you’re watching the game, why would you want to be bothered by things like substitutions?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Maxi worse than Powell. Lively is way better. He’ll be playing 30 minutes per if he can stay out of foul trouble.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Kidd almost lost the Mavs this game.
Took out Lively for Kleber, banking on Maxi spreading the floor and hitting his shots.
At the expense of rim protection and rebounding.

Glad Kidd came to his senses and put back Lively in.
Like Reply
"Ice, Ice, Ice, stay in front, stay in front, rebound, rebound" Mavs defensive scheme...
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 11:27 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Kidd almost lost the Mavs this game.
Took out Lively for Kleber, banking on Maxi spreading the floor and hitting his shots.
At the expense of rim protection and rebounding.

Glad Kidd came to his senses and put back Lively in.

I don’t know. I thought he adjusted by starting Lively second half. And then he played the kid almost the entire half. Sure, he got pulled for a breather in the 4th. But he came back in for the close. Not sure even a 19 year old has the stamina to perform without a blow.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 11:37 PM)The Jom Wrote: I don’t know. I thought he adjusted by starting Lively second half. And then he played the kid almost the entire half. Sure, he got pulled for a breather in the 4th. But he came back in for the close. Not sure even a 19 year old has the stamina to perform without a blow.

A short stop at the bench would have been fine.
Him sitting, felt way too long with how the game was developing at that point.
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 01:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's retarded. 

I mean literally all of this is inferred by the quote "I'm watching, just like you guys". I don't really think it's possible to be dumbfounded by any statements he makes that reinforce that initial dumbfounding statement. At least he's honest, I guess..

(10-25-2023, 11:37 PM)The Jom Wrote: I don’t know. I thought he adjusted by starting Lively second half. And then he played the kid almost the entire half. Sure, he got pulled for a breather in the 4th. But he came back in for the close. Not sure even a 19 year old has the stamina to perform without a blow.

Given his statement about why Lively didn't start, I think it's very possible this wasn't an adjustment and an actual pre game determination, not to start him to keep him out of foul trouble, but give him starter minutes.

(10-25-2023, 09:48 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Maxi worse than Powell. Lively is way better. He’ll be playing 30 minutes per if he can stay out of foul trouble.

I don't mind Maxi with Lively. They can play together, where Lively and Powell can't.
Like Reply
(10-25-2023, 11:41 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: A short stop at the bench would have been fine.
Him sitting, felt way too long with how the game was developing at that point.

5:11 out
2:34 in

I dunno, man. Pretty short blow. There’s better stuff to bash Kidd for than only giving the rook 31 minutes.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • Jym, mvossman
Like Reply
“As we go forward, we understand that Lively will start at some point..."

[Image: dr-evil-pinky-mouth-austin-powers.gif?re...C205&ssl=1]
Like Reply
Just because Kidd won’t be fired doesn’t mean he’s the best coach for the team. He’s among the worst in the league. Once he is replaced, the Mavs will win 15 more games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • MrGoat
Like Reply
(10-28-2023, 06:46 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Just because Kidd won’t be fired doesn’t mean he’s the best coach for the team.  He’s among the worst in the league. Once he is replaced, the Mavs will win 15 more games.

I honestly think this team is just a coaching change away from being a contender
Like Reply
Looks like 4 undefeated teams in the NBA right now.

Just imagine how much better the Mavs could be doing if they just had a better head coach!
Like Reply
(10-31-2023, 12:09 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Looks like 4 undefeated teams in the NBA right now.

Just imagine how much better the Mavs could be doing if they just had a better head coach!

Ok, I’m not a Kidd defender, but this is funny. The Kidd hate has been pretty extreme here, and I really don’t understand why.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(10-31-2023, 03:22 PM)The Jom Wrote: Ok, I’m not a Kidd defender, but this is funny. The Kidd hate has been pretty extreme here, and I really don’t understand why.

Seems pretty obvious to me, tbh.

Most of the stuff is debatable but his stubbornness is a real pain. I wonder how long it is going to take him to admit it is SO wrong to start DJJ.
Like Reply
(10-31-2023, 04:42 PM)meistermatze Wrote: Seems pretty obvious to me, tbh.

Most of the stuff is debatable but his stubbornness is a real pain. I wonder how long it is going to take him to admit it is SO wrong to start DJJ.

Sometimes, the wrong choice is made for a good reason, though. Like, maybe Dan is right, and there's a specific reason Green is intended to play with the bench unit for long stretches, or maybe DJJ brings something offensively (getting downhill in transition comes to mind) that Kidd really believes the team needs to start games. 

I don't feel comfortable labeling the choice as wrong (though I'm leaning that way) until I understand what he's trying to accomplish. 

But...it seems clear they made that offer to Thybulle to start. They said as much. And, the late DJJ signing happened right around the time they seem to have reached the conclusion that O-Max wasn't ready. So, one read of this is that Kidd just simply doesn't believe in Green as much as he should, although closing every game with him so far casts a fair amount of doubt on that, imo. If that IS the case, then I think he's making the wrong choice not to lean into Green's development full boar, but I just don't think we can make that assumption yet.
Like Reply