Poll: What is the amount of games needed before Kidd gets fired mid-season?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
10-15 before december
0%
0 0%
20-30 before all-star
3.13%
1 3.13%
40+
6.25%
2 6.25%
N/A, Kidd won't be fired midseason no matter what
90.63%
29 90.63%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Kidd really the best head coach for this team?
I hate to even think this, let alone type it, because I still hate the Mavs’ offense, but I honestly think Kidd outcoached Tryronn Lue in this series.

Up is down, down is up. Cats and dogs are living together.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(05-04-2024, 10:23 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I hate to even think this, let alone type it, because I still hate the Mavs’ offense, but I honestly think Kidd outcoached Tryronn Lue in this series.

Confession is good for the soul.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(05-04-2024, 10:23 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I hate to even think this, let alone type it, because I still hate the Mavs’ offense, but I honestly think Kidd outcoached Tryronn Lue in this series.

Took him 2 1/2 games but he made the right adjustments on defense. Post defense against Zubac was much better. With late double teams from the weak side. Not giving up any opening because Zubac isn't Luka/Jokic and cannot throw the cross court pass to the open shooter in the corner.
And even more important. Exploiting the Westbrook matchup. Putting a big or a big forward on Westbrook to have an extra help defender in the paint.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Kidd got us out of the first round so I consider this season a success. He definitely deserves an extension.
Like Reply
Kidd has been a positive for a while now. Impossible to ignore.
The next loss and the boards will be flooded with #FireKidd again.

But for now, it’s nice to see less negativity!
Like Reply
With the Mavs (as head coach), Kidd has won 3 of 4 playoff series, all as the underseed. With the Nets in 2014, he got a game 7 (and series) win over the Raptors on the road before losing to the eventual finalists (Heat) 4-1 in the semis. Again, both times with the lower seed. Twice with the Bucks, 2015 and 2017, Kidd’s team took 2 games as the 6th seed before bowing out in the first round (to the Bulls and then Raptors).

By my count, that makes him 4-4 in playoff series without ever having had home court advantage. His teams have never been swept. I find this pretty impressive.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 3 users Like The Jom's post:
  • MFFL, rocky164, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
From Marc Stein, Mavs love Kidd

Mavericks coach Jason Kidd, who like Lue has only one season left on his current contract, would also be an obvious target for the Lakers — if Kidd were to become available. That, however, is not expected to happen. League sources say Kidd is also the likely recipient of a contract extension in the near future, having led Dallas to two 50-win seasons and three playoff series wins in four attempts in his three seasons as Mavericks coach. I’m told that the Lakers, for their part, don’t anticipate Kidd becoming a coaching free agent any more than they expect to have a shot at Lue.

Friday was a true roller-coaster day for the in-demand Tyronn Lue. It was his 47th birthday … and the day that sealed the Clippers’ second consecutive first-round exit … and the day that it emerged that the Clippers are determined to re-sign him to an extension after minimal discussion about an extension to that point. The final season on Lue’s current contract is a team option for next season. Multiple sources with knowledge of the Clippers’ intentions shared the belief Friday that Lue is “not going anywhere.”

Every time I’ve since asked longtime Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, now a minority shareholder after selling his majority stake to Dumont in December, to explain the Mavericks’ success in getting Irving’s most focused play in a half-decade (or longer), Cuban has the same answer: “By listening to him and not telling him.”

The Pistons will soon formally request permission to interview Milwaukee’s Jon Horst for its president of basketball operations vacancy, according to a source briefed on Detroit’s plans. It’s TBD, of course, whether the Bucks grant permission.

- Stein
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, fifteenth
Like Reply
Shout out to a winner!

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/4009...-extension
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
Did not think Kidd would make it through this season. Then after the change in ownership I thought they would clean house with a new head coach.  I was way off.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BoredAssistant's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(05-06-2024, 09:39 AM)BoredAssistant Wrote: Did not think Kidd would make it through this season. Then after the change in ownership I thought they would clean house with a new head coach.  I was way off.

Confession is good for the soul.
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
Insider data:  Irving thinks JKidd is a good coach.

https://andscape.com/features/kyrie-irvi...mavericks/
Like Reply
Kidd now 0-5 in game 1's
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 08:47 AM)MFFL Wrote: Kidd now 0-5 in game 1's

Don’t worry.  I hear the new contract has a clause that he can’t coach game 1’s moving forward.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply

Does that mean that Kidd really good in reacting and adjusting and countering during a series? 

Because it surely means he‘s really bad in making his team throw the first punch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knutsen's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply

First round vs. Jazz (2021-22)

Kidd’s first playoff series as coach of the Mavericks occurred one year after Dallas lost to the Los Angeles Clippers in the first round of two consecutive playoff appearances. Dallas lost Game 1 at American Airlines Center before winning the next four of five games to defeat the Jazz in six games on the road. Doncic missed the first three games due to a calf injury suffered in the regular-season finale. Former Mavericks guard Jalen Brunson stepped up in his absence and led Dallas to two wins before Doncic totaled 33 points with 13 rebounds in Game 5. Dallas beat Utah by two points in Game 6 to advance to the next series.

Conference Semifinals vs. Suns (2021-22)

All hope appeared lost when Dallas fell behind 2-0 after losing both games on the road to the Phoenix Suns. Phoenix fans chanted “Sweep! Sweep” during Game 2 as the Suns blitzed the Mavericks by 20. Doncic and Brunson, along with the rest of the Mavericks, duplicated what they did in the first round and won four of the next five games to defeat the Suns in seven games. Dallas won three of the final four games of the series by at least 10 points, including massive blowouts in Games 6 and 7 to advance to the Western Conference Finals.

Western Conference Finals vs. Warriors (2021-22)

This is the only loss on the Mavericks’ playoff record since Kidd took over in 2021 that didn’t result in a comeback to win the series. The Warriors, one year after being eliminated from the Play-In Tournament, reclaimed their status as the best team in the NBA. Dallas fell into a 3-0 deficit — which has yet to be conquered in NBA history. The Mavericks managed to win Game 4 of the series, but lost the series in five games after Klay Thompson had a vintage performance with eight 3-pointers.

First round vs. Clippers (2023-24)

Look no further than the Mavericks’ first-round series against the Clippers to see that it’s possible for the current iteration of the team to rebound from a Game 1 loss on the road. After getting punched in the mouth in Game 1, Dallas bounced back quickly to take advantage of a Clippers team that tried to reincorporate Kawhi Leonard back into the lineup. Dominant second-half performances from Irving proved to be the difference for Dallas as Doncic played through a right knee sprain and illness.

First round vs. Thunder (2023-24)

Dallas fell behind by 12 points early in Game 1 and came within one midway through the third quarter. After the ensuing timeout, Oklahoma City exploded with a 20-7 run over the final five minutes of the period. Oklahoma City exuded the energy and effort needed to come out on top, while taking advantage of a short-handed Mavericks team with a hobbled Doncic. Despite a significant size advantage, the Mavericks were outrebounded 52-39 and struggled with foul trouble from their starting frontcourt.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Well, look at it this way - it must be a lot more challenging to win series like the Jazz, Suns and Clippers when you spot them a free game to start the series. Kinda like beating the other team with your hand tied behind your back or something. Maybe Kidd just likes a challenge.

I'm being flippant, of course. I'm glad he has that pattern of coming back, but perpetually spotting your opponent a leg up from the beginning doesn't seem like a reliable formula for success.
Like Reply
(2 hours ago)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Well, look at it this way - it must be a lot more challenging to win series like the Jazz, Suns and Clippers when you spot them a free game to start the series. Kinda like beating the other team with your hand tied behind your back or something. Maybe Kidd just likes a challenge.

I'm being flippant, of course. I'm glad he has that pattern of coming back, but perpetually spotting your opponent a leg up from the beginning doesn't seem like a reliable formula for success.

Yeah. Kidd is just telling his team not to try too hard in game 1.
Like Reply
(2 hours ago)DallasMaverick Wrote: Yeah. Kidd is just telling his team not to try too hard in game 1.

Or, perhaps we use Occam's Razor and presume he's completely incapable of getting a team prepared to face a new opponent going into a new series as well as being psychically prepared to compete to win.
Like Reply
(32 minutes ago)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Or, perhaps we use Occam's Razor and presume he's completely incapable of getting a team prepared to face a new opponent going into a new series as well as being psychically prepared to compete to win.

That’s possible.

So, it’s an even more incredible feat to follow up complete and total ineptitude with dazzling brilliance. 

How does he do that??
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply