Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CONTEST: Mavs Season Record Prediction
(10-06-2023, 11:39 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Nico is completely outmatched in any negotiation, and completely clueless in assembling a roster.

With Lindsay on his side, he's fine.

Kidd is the worst coach in the league. And a wife-beater.

Yep.

Cuban is the worst owner in the league. And really cheap.

Yep.

I would be much more optimistic about this season if Jason Kidd wasn't the coach.

I would be much more optimistic about our future if Mark Cuban wasn't the owner.

Hopefully, they both get caught doing something terrible and are exiled from the NBA.  Hopefully, no one else is harmed in the process.

With Kidd as coach, I predict we'll win 41 games this season and finish 10th in the West.  I would prefer to be wrong though and the Mavericks win 53.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
48-34 mid season tournament champion. They will rename it the Jason Midd trophy.
[-] The following 3 users Like Hypermav's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Ghost of Podkolzin, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
Last year we were 38-44. The West is better this year, and i'm not sure the Mavs got much better.

Luka will miss 10-15 games with sprained ankles and knees.

Kyrie will miss around the same if not more.

Maxi will get hurt again.

Lively and O-Max are not ready.

THJ finally gets traded. So does Holmes.

35- 47

8th pick in the draft
[-] The following 2 users Like Nowitzki Way's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 08:59 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Last year we were 38-44. The West is better this year, and i'm not sure the Mavs got much better.

35- 47

8th pick in the draft

Is that really the worst outcome possible.  I'd say no.  I think I'd rather be 8th than make the play-in as the 10th seed.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BigDirk41, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 09:17 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Is that really the worst outcome possible.  I'd say no.  I think I'd rather be 8th than make the play-in as the 10th seed.

Completely agree. I'm firmly on the side of adding more young talent to this team.

I think it'll be pretty clear early on that this is not a championship team. The West is too good, and the Suns, Nuggets, Lakers, etc have too much firepower. 

Build around this young core of Luka, Green, Hardy, Lively, O-Max.  Sell Kyrie, THJ, Kleber at the trade deadline or next off season. Grab another top ten pick while you're at it.

No reason to fight for those 9th and 10th seed play-ins. Because thats exactly what this team is. A 9th or 10th seed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nowitzki Way's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 09:27 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Completely agree. I'm firmly on the side of adding more young talent to this team.

I think it'll be pretty clear early on that this is not a championship team. The West is too good, and the Suns, Nuggets, Lakers, etc have too much firepower. 

Build around this young core of Luka, Green, Hardy, Lively, O-Max.  Sell Kyrie, THJ, Kleber at the trade deadline or next off season. Grab another top ten pick while you're at it.

No reason to fight for those 9th and 10th seed play-ins. Because thats exactly what this team is. A 9th or 10th seed.

I think they’ll fight, but I think maybe the team’s view is closer to this than most realize. I think that’s why they’re shoehorning the rookies into the action so quickly. With the exception of re-signing Irving, which they basically had to do, every single other move they made this summer was the action of a rebuilding team.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Nowitzki Way, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 10:21 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think they’ll fight, but I think maybe the team’s view is closer to this than most realize. I think that’s why they’re shoehorning the rookies into the action so quickly. With the exception of re-signing Irving, which they basically had to do, every single other move they made this summer was the action of a rebuilding team.

They will fight for sure. Luka is too good for us not to be competitive. And its hard to believe he'll be part another tank job. But i'm hoping the tank job will be a little more organic this year, and not as obvious. 

This team is not good enough to compete in the West. Maybe in other years we could be a 4 or 5 seed with this team. Maybe win a 1st round series. But not this year. 

I'm not even sure there is a realistic trade that can move the needle.  Anything we do would move us further into the hamster wheel of mediocrity. 

Is it worth trading for Clint Capela? This move takes us from a 10th seed to an 8th seed? What your prize? Oh, congratulations you get to play the Suns or Nuggets in the first round. Good luck with all of that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nowitzki Way's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 11:19 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Is it worth trading for Clint Capela? This move takes us from a 10th seed to an 8th seed? What your prize? Oh, congratulations you get to play the Suns or Nuggets in the first round. Good luck with all of that.

I believe this was part of the group thinking that eventually led to them opting out of the several center trades they looked at. 

I think they made the right choice, personally. 

Even if they miss the playoffs this season, which I don't think is a definite but is obviously possible, it won't be the end of the world IF progress is made with the younger players on the roster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 11:19 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: They will fight for sure. Luka is too good for us not to be competitive. And its hard to believe he'll be part another tank job. But i'm hoping the tank job will be a little more organic this year, and not as obvious. 

This team is not good enough to compete in the West. Maybe in other years we could be a 4 or 5 seed with this team. Maybe win a 1st round series. But not this year. 

I'm not even sure there is a realistic trade that can move the needle.  Anything we do would move us further into the hamster wheel of mediocrity. 

Is it worth trading for Clint Capela? This move takes us from a 10th seed to an 8th seed? What your prize? Oh, congratulations you get to play the Suns or Nuggets in the first round. Good luck with all of that.
If they sell high on Kyrie this season, I’m fully fine with this. If we are to keep Kyrie for his full contract, it’s dumb. I think Cap would make us more than an 8 seed. Last year there were only a very few games that separated teams all throughout the seeding last year, meaning every game is important to put our best foot forward. Being a 4th seed is very doable with a good rebounding defensive anchor at C.
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 11:31 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If they sell high on Kyrie this season, I’m fully fine with this. If we are to keep Kyrie for his full contract, it’s dumb. I think Cap would make us more than an 8 seed. Last year there were only a very few games that separated teams all throughout the seeding last year, meaning every game is important to put our best foot forward. Being a 4th seed is very doable with a good rebounding defensive anchor at C.

I have had similar thoughts, and think selling Kyrie MIGHT be part of the plan. 

Then again, I think maybe they might believe there's a chance the team gets better faster than we do, or are at least open to that as a possibility, and I also wonder whether or not they believe his presence on the roster as an accomplished, respected vet might have a positive effect on the youngins' development, and the team's, as a whole.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
In a previous thread I said 46 wins and I am sticking with 46. I always want a top 4 seed but this year I have no idea what that will take. I’ll be happy if this teams play shows good progress and we learn to win close games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reunion Mav's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
I hate to say it guys. We are in for a really long season. This is not a good team.

See date of this post. I hope i'm eating crow in 6 months
[-] The following 4 users Like Nowitzki Way's post:
  • BasketballJones41, HoosierDaddyKid, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
43-39.

This team is going to have another slow start. I hate that we had to do all this international stuff and hate even more that Kidd just played around with rotations instead of taking these a little more seriously.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
54 wins, because I might as well pretend to think things are going to go well, I'll be disappointed later whether I pretend to know it was going to happen or not.
[-] The following 2 users Like Benskix2's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Jym
Like Reply
Housekeeping announcement: if you change your prediction like I’m about to, please edit your original post and not add another one to make the change. Thank you, carry on.
Like Reply
(10-06-2023, 12:15 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think they’ll get to 42-40. They’re gonna start out rough and end less rough.

I could see that.  Lots of new pieces. Lots of young players. 

I could also a team whose leaders are JKidd, Luka, and Kyrie completely falling apart if they start out rough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
41-41. My expectations have dropped dramatically after seeing them in the preseason so far. They can't guard anyone, at all. The offense is all Luka, still. I don't have high hopes. I would be happy to be wrong, but they can't win if they can't guard anyone.
[-] The following 2 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(10-09-2023, 08:59 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Last year we were 38-44. The West is better this year, and i'm not sure the Mavs got much better.

35- 47

8th pick in the draft

Doesn't NY get our draft pick this season?
Like Reply
(10-13-2023, 11:02 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Doesn't NY get our draft pick this season?

Only if it is bottom 20. Same as last season
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(10-13-2023, 11:31 AM)omahen Wrote: Only if it is bottom 20. Same as last season
Top 10 protected right?
Like Reply