Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Can the Mavs NOT Be Better with These Additions?
Just being honest here, but that bench lineup doesn't scare anyone. But they should improve from last year. Could I be totally wrong? Absolutely! They're going to have to really overachieve to win me over.
Like Reply
(09-30-2023, 08:03 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Just being honest here, but that bench lineup doesn't scare anyone. But they should improve from last year.  Could I be totally wrong? Absolutely! They're going to have to really overachieve to win me over.

I think it depends on THJ’s buy-in. He’s a realllly nice 6th man if he can get comfortable in that role. And Hardy could be dangerous off the bench too. Maxi if he’s healthy is a top notch 7th man. Any team would be more than thrilled to have him. 

Some of this depends on how the Curry/Hardy/Exum minutes shake out. And then DJJ/Omax. Kidd will do lots of lineup experimentation, no doubt.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(09-26-2023, 05:16 AM)omahen Wrote: I doubt anyone thinks Mavs will be worse. They had 38 wins last season. The question really is, how much more wins can an upgrade of a third string unit with only a couple of changes in top 10 rotation bring.

Because they tanked last year, for much longer than people really think. Because they screwed up team chemistry last year with CWood.  Because they looked like chumps with the loss of Brunson for nothing and played most of the season with a negative vibe. Because Luka doesn’t have to do everything right from the start of the season. Because they’re a much bigger and more athletic team.  Because the advanced stats tend to agree thst Reggie was one of the five worst regular players in the NBA, and he’s not here anymore. And because the roster changes will be more impactful to the first and second team than you realize.  At the very least, Reggie and Powell are out of the starting lineup.  That’s a huge 40% turnover. The new guys are here to take jobs. Mostly, because Kai and Luka have an entire camp and preseason to get on the same page and seem happy with each other and the roster.

The Mavs are way better this year. They should win 50 games if they stay relatively healthy. The only problem is they still have the same coach. Otherwise, I’d be all in on a full on revenge tour. But even so, taking the over on wins is free money.
Like Reply
(10-01-2023, 07:34 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Because they tanked last year, for much longer than people really think. Because they screwed up team chemistry last year with CWood.  Because they looked like chumps with the loss of Brunson for nothing and played most of the season with a negative vibe. Because Luka doesn’t have to do everything right from the start of the season. Because they’re a much bigger and more athletic team.  Because the advanced stats tend to agree thst Reggie was one of the five worst regular players in the NBA, and he’s not here anymore. And because the roster changes will be more impactful to the first and second team than you realize.  At the very least, Reggie and Powell are out of the starting lineup.  That’s a huge 40% turnover. The new guys are here to take jobs. Mostly, because Kai and Luka have an entire camp and preseason to get on the same page and seem happy with each other and the roster.

The Mavs are way better this year. They should win 50 games if they stay relatively healthy. The only problem is they still have the same coach. Otherwise, I’d be all in on a full on revenge tour. But even so, taking the over on wins is free money.

In the West, 50 wins is quite a stretch.  They'll be doing good to get 40-42 wins.
Like Reply
I get why the doubters are unconvinced. What I don’t get is the conviction that other teams are ahead. Memphis has fallen apart. Sacramento was always a pretender. Clippers and Warriors are old. The Lakers are a play-in team. Minny? NO? The Okies? Please. This team is in as good of shape or better than anyone in the west save the champs.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(10-01-2023, 04:35 PM)The Jom Wrote: I get why the doubters are unconvinced. What I don’t get is the conviction that other teams are ahead. Memphis has fallen apart. Sacramento was always a pretender. Clippers and Warriors are old. The Lakers are a play-in team. Minny? NO? The Okies? Please. This team is in as good of shape or better than anyone in the west save the champs.

It's called a opnion. Everybody has one. I just happen to think they don't have enough. Does that make me a hater? Absolutely not. Can I be wrong? Sure.  I view those same teams you mentioned ( you left out the Suns btw) as having better rosters at this point old or not. After a abomination of a season last year, they patched a hole or two, but is it enough to propel them to a top 5 seed in the West with Kidd coaching them?  That remains to be seen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
I think the thing that excites me is I don't know how anyone stops this offense.  You've got two offensive wizards flanked in the corners by 40% 3 point shooters who can drive well against close-outs and move the ball well also.  You've got a rim runner who also passes well out of the short roll and has a massive wing span to hit.  What do you leave open?  The ball movement has a chance to be special.

There will also be w/o Luka minutes and w/o Kyrie minutes that have to be worked out.  Powell and THJ have traditionally played well with Luka.  Maxi and a ball handler like Seth probably makes sense with Luka when Kyrie sits.  I'm hopeful we are running with Josh and OMax when Luka sits and Kyrie is running the show.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL, mvossman, The Jom
Like Reply
Its almost 2024 and Dwight Powell has and will be starting center for 5(!)years in a row now. There is nothing to be optimistic about.
There is this talk about some rookie center and wing, but I dont care, they will probably suck and get very limited minutes. Anyone remembers Tyrell Terry? There was the same hype around him back in 2021 on this forum. Where is he now? He was supposed to be next curry or something if you believe some people on this forum. I expect the same from this years rookies because the hype is the same.
Also Hardy. I dont get the fascination. Dude made 3 good plays in 2 meaningless games, and he will also brakeout etc... Same with Green. Dude is almost out of rookie contract, and beside hustle cant do anythhing. Maybe this two can at least be considered valuable assets at some future trade.

Mavs got Luka, Kyrie and Powell. We are pretty much a lot worse version of Hardens, Pauls and Capellas Houston. Shitty basketball with a bad bad coach. If things go right, maybe, maybe they make it to second round of PO. Maybe WFC. Maybe. If things go bad they dont make the playoffs. Its will be pretty much your turn my turn between Luka and Kyrie. Boring to watch, maybe it will work, based on the talent alone. Until Kyrie goes crazy. And he will go crazy.

I did like this offseason moves. Like Williams, Holmes and Seth back, but its late. I wouldnt be shocked if they bring DFS back. Idiots. By now Mavs should be up there with Suns and Nuggets, instead we are hoping for playoffs while teams like OKC and Spurs are getting stronger. I mean its a closed league with around 300 players to chose from and you have a fixed amount which you can spend. A child would do a better job than Mavs FO in the last 5 years. Its not a hard job.

Anyway 30, 40 games into a season DP will be playing 25-30 minutes per game, and Mavs will suck. We will probably make PO, but it will suck.
Like Reply
The Mavs are better.
Way better than last season.

But IMHO this team's success relies on 5 things:

5. The young guys quickly learning and contributing.
4. Luka and Kyre being healthy.
3. Luka's discipline.
2. Kidd going away from the Luka-centric offense.
1. Kidd actually learning some X's and Os.

Kidd says he is going to play the rookies in preseason. I'd give him credit for that. The young guys need to learn quickly, most specially Lively who needs to contribute sooner than later. The rooks will struggle and I expect some losses because of this. But for the C spot for the Mavs, it's the only way forward.

Now, I am not dismissing what Richaun can do at the 5. I think he's going to be the starting C most of the time for the Mavs after 20 games. But I am hoping/expecting Lively to be the backup after All-Star break, and DP getting less minutes.

Moving on to Luka, apart from health, my concern with him is his focus. He may be a generational talent, but his attitude in-game has been annoying. Not every call would go his way, he must remember that, and no use complaining EVERYTIME.

Luka also has to learn how to play to the team's strengths. We know how good the Mavs are in a half court offense because of his methodical ways. But he has Green and Kyrie out there in the starting 5. Two quick players who'd thrive in a quicker pace. He has GW too who is capable handling the ball on a break. He has Exum too who only knows one speed in transition. If there's an opportunity for quick and easy scores, Luka needs to dampen his love of bringing the ball up, and push the ball with a pass instead of dribbling himself. Kidd must allow players who can throw long but accurate passes by players who can do so, other than Luka and Kyrie.

On the subject of Kidd by the way. If Kidd remains the same Kidd I saw last season, I still expect the Mavs to win DESPITE of him and not because of him. If Kidd thinks he doesn't need to design too many plays because Luka and Kyrie can handle the offense, I expect a first round exit. Kidd is super slow to adjust. His game is PLAN-EXECUTE-maybe-adapt? So it's really important for him to get all those plans -- from grand schemes down to the last-second-in-bound-plays in his playbook for him to able to quickly adjust to any situation.

Kidd needs a cheat-sheet. Reliance on Luka and Kyrie is just lazy coaching. I hope he is better than that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
To answer the original question. Injuries is the answer to that how

Grant Williams was a really nice addition. If Lively is ready to/given the chance to hit the ground running this team could be pretty good despite Kidd's coaching, the report of Luka still having lingering effects from a regular season injury during FIBA do have me concerned though
Like Reply
(10-01-2023, 05:50 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: It's called a opnion. Everybody has one. I just happen to think they don't have enough. Does that make me a hater? Absolutely not. Can I be wrong? Sure.  I view those same teams you mentioned ( you left out the Suns btw) as having better rosters at this point old or not. After a abomination of a season last year, they patched a hole or two, but is it enough to propel them to a top 5 seed in the West with Kidd coaching them?  That remains to be seen.

Didn’t mean to crap on your take. I just don’t get it. Those other rosters have real problems and unknowns. Yes, ours too. But our answers could be better than theirs. Even the Suns. KD is awesome but doesn’t seem to be a team builder.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply