Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mid-Level targets
(07-01-2023, 08:29 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Another interesting recent development seems to be that teams just leave RFAs out to dry. It kind of makes sense.

Bridges
Thybulle
Washington
Williams
Reed
Reaves
Donsunmu

I was listening to Stein on the radio and he said that offers to RFA are done on July 6th when the league opens. So they are literally just waiting to see what's left
Like Reply
Welp, Lopez stays in MIL. Let’s see if that triggers a Brooks signing in HOU. If not, I’ll be even more convinced he’s angling for a Dallas offer.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:30 PM)MFFL Wrote: I was listening to Stein on the radio and he said that offers to RFA are done on July 6th when the league opens. So they are literally just waiting to see what's left

"offers to RFA are done on July 6th "

Not exactly. RFA talks are undoubtedly already happening, with money and negotiating. The Mavs could already have an understanding with a RFA.

But they want to wait until the last minute to let the numbers get out to the public (rather than leak a commitment to show everyone they are doing good things), to limit awareness and planning time for the old team to see the amount and decide to match or not. A contract to an RFA that's submitted day 1 in the morning (July 6) only gives the other team to the end of day July 7 to match.

The agent for the player would be the best source to know if he thinks the old team would entertain a snt, or entertain a match at X amount, to know whether trying to negotiate a snt with them might be a better choice.

Three side notes about a RFA snt - (1) they can also bring another player or two besides the RFA, so (2) the Mavs could in theory solve several issues with the right trade, and (3) if helpful, the Mavs could roll such a trade into the OKC/SAC deal and reduce the amount of matching salary the other team needs to take.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Welp, Lopez stays in MIL. Let’s see if that triggers a Brooks signing in HOU. If not, I’ll be even more convinced he’s angling for a Dallas offer.

Welp. Brooks to Houston. There's one more name off the list of potential MLE targets

Ugh. And DP back 3/12
Like Reply
Can we still offer the full MLE after the Curry and Powell contracts ?
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 04:46 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Can we still offer the full MLE after the Curry and Powell contracts ?

Nope.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 04:46 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Can we still offer the full MLE after the Curry and Powell contracts ?

Not unless some more salary is reduced by trades. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they just dump McGee to someone using the one SRP and cash
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 02:08 PM)F Gump Wrote: "offers to RFA are done on July 6th "

Not exactly. RFA talks are undoubtedly already happening, with money and negotiating. The Mavs could already have an understanding with a RFA.

But they want to wait until the last minute to let the numbers get out to the public (rather than leak a commitment to show everyone they are doing good things), to limit awareness and planning time for the old team to see the amount and decide to match or not. A contract to an RFA that's submitted day 1 in the morning (July 6) only gives the other team to the end of day July 7 to match.

The agent for the player would be the best source to know if he thinks the old team would entertain a snt, or entertain a match at X amount, to know whether trying to negotiate a snt with them might be a better choice.

Three side notes about a RFA snt - (1) they can also bring another player or two besides the RFA, so (2) the Mavs could in theory solve several issues with the right trade, and (3) if helpful, the Mavs could roll such a trade into the OKC/SAC deal and reduce the amount of matching salary the other team needs to take.

Do you feel like this is what they are doing because it seems like the only thing that makes sense to me at this point unless they are truly just incompetent.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 04:57 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Do you feel like this is what they are doing because it seems like the only thing that makes sense to me at this point unless they are truly just incompetent.

My guess is yes, because as you say, it's what makes sense of the puzzling landscape we are seeing. It's so so quiet, with no real whispers, and EVERYONE they might consider as a FA at this point being RFA (in particular, PJW, Williams and Thybulle) with neither the Mavs nor anyone else being linked to them so ......

We do have lots of history to make us consider that they have just completely whiffed (once again) in free agency, so there's that, sad to say. "We tried, but just couldn't get ANY good player to take their MLE" does seem like a very Mav thing to happen. But I am hopeful.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, mvossman
Like Reply
I am sure they will make at least one other move. They will either succeed in whatever trade (including RFA options) or sign someone meh wing for part of MLE. Past experience leans more toward second option, unfortunately
Like Reply
If the Mavs need to go the meh wing route for $4-$5 million, they should sign Derrick Jones Jr. Maybe they should sign him anyway, even if they can figure out a trade to cut salary, bring back a decent swing forward, and get rid of some of the logjam they have on the roster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • myconsumerclub
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 05:55 PM)F Gump Wrote: My guess is yes, because as you say, it's what makes sense of the puzzling landscape we are seeing. It's so so quiet, with no real whispers, and EVERYONE they might consider as a FA at this point being RFA (in particular, PJW, Williams and Thybulle) with neither the Mavs nor anyone else being linked to them so ......

We do have lots of history to make us consider that they have just completely whiffed (once again) in free agency, so there's that, sad to say. "We tried, but just couldn't get ANY good player to take their MLE" does seem like a very Mav thing to happen. But I am hopeful.

This is a different team with different management. They have already proven themselves in the draft this year and have earned a bit more patience than everyone giving up the first full day of free agency.
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 06:01 PM)omahen Wrote: I am sure they will make at least one other move. They will either succeed in whatever trade (including RFA options) or sign someone meh wing for part of MLE. Past experience leans more toward second option, unfortunately

If it wasn't for Dennis Lindsey then I might agree with you. The dude was an assistant GM for the Spurs for 5 years so I think he learned a thing or two. Then he was the GM for the Jazz for 9 years where he built the Jazz into a very strong team. 

I have a lot more confidence with the front office now - look how professionally the draft was run.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 02:08 PM)F Gump Wrote: "offers to RFA are done on July 6th "

Imma gonna go right ahead and assume the target here is either:

PJ Washington
or 
Paul Reed
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 10:33 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Imma gonna go right ahead and assume the target here is either:

PJ Washington
or 
Paul Reed

I don't know who Paul Reed is, but I would love PJ Washington for sure.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 10:51 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I don't know who Paul Reed is, but I would love PJ Washington for sure.

He's Embiid's backup in Philly. Plays with high energy and hustle.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 02:08 PM)F Gump Wrote: Three side notes about a RFA snt - (1) they can also bring another player or two besides the RFA, so (2) the Mavs could in theory solve several issues with the right trade, and (3) if helpful, the Mavs could roll such a trade into the OKC/SAC deal and reduce the amount of matching salary the other team needs to take.

This is what I’ve been saying ever since the Bertans deal was announced and everyone wanted it to be about a TE and the MLE.  With some of the dollar amounts being tossed around, our MLE isn’t worth anything.  But, we have a trade spread of about the same as  the MLE amount ($5mm plus $7.5mm if Holmes waives his TK).  And Curry could easily be moved to the TP-MLE from the BAE (more subterfuge?).  

Given that we have 8 guards and four centers under contract, it feels like there has to be something more and I’m not sure that something more will be the MLE.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 12:53 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: With some of the dollar amounts being tossed around, our MLE isn’t worth anything. 

Underrated point.  My thinking vs reality:

-Jingles would be a good VM or BAE signing for our second unit.  Orlando pays him 11M per for 2 years.
-Bruce Brown would be a great use of our MLE. Pacers give him in effect a 1-year deal for 24M (TWENTY-FOUR MILLION).
-I don't love Brooks but maybe he's a distressed asset you can get on a 1+1 sweetheart deal to help rehab his career.  Houston pays him 20M per for 4 years.
-Is Houston really going to pay 35-year old Brook Lopez north of 20M to steal him away from the Bucks?  Bucks sign him for 24M for 2 years.

Williams and Thybulle might still be in play as RFAs, but for the money going around their respective teams should just match any MLE offers for them and flip them later for assets.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 02:20 AM)cow Wrote: Williams and Thybulle might still be in play as RFAs, but for the money going around their respective teams should just match any MLE offers for them and flip them later for assets.
I certainly agree teams will probably match, but if it’s an overpay, there’s no way they get flipped for assets unless their play improves. 

Also going on in the NBA, overpaid players going for peanuts.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 08:54 PM)soog Wrote: This is a different team with different management. They have already proven themselves in the draft this year and have earned a bit more patience than everyone giving up the first full day of free agency.

How exactly did they prove themselves in the draft this year?  The execution was good but only time will say if they made the right selections by going for need when better talent was available.  Was OMax or holding on to the TPE trying to go after someone more ready the correct decision?  Time will tell. 

Last year they gave up a first for Wood when questions about his defense were long known.  Then they gave relatively big money to Javale while losing Brunson on their watch. 

This year they go back to Dwight and Curry and Exum. Remanants of the past be it Lindsey or the previous Mavs regimes.  Not saying these low level moves should be heavily scrutinized but everything adds up. It feels like they don’t even consider or kick the tires on newer players who might not have some tie in to the past. 

I am higher on Ayton than most here. If they can get him to form a big 3 I will take back a lot of concerns that I currently have with this mgmt.
Like Reply