Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mid-Level targets
(07-01-2023, 04:51 AM)Jym Wrote: Be nice if Torrey Craig was a little younger but I really like the fit if we decide to split the MLE between multiple people.

There are still plenty of good players, so that you could split the MLE two ways and sign 1-2 nice minimum veterans.

I love Mykhailiuk for the minimum, but I would give him a part of the MLE, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znKHx5UeH1U

To me he´s ready for 20 MPG from the SG/SF position. He´s a bit Gordon Hayward-ish for 10% the price.

If we trade THJ, he´d be one of my top targets. We could really use a SG/SF with some size, cause despite their "promises" we are still undersized in the backcourt and potentially trading away THJ and Bullock, we need some size (and defense).
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 04:51 AM)Jym Wrote: Be nice if Torrey Craig was a little younger but I really like the fit if we decide to split the MLE between multiple people.

I’m getting strangely optimistic about Grant Williams, who I personally thought should’ve narrowly edged Brown as the top target.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
We pretty much KNOW Dillon Brooks has an offer for north of the MLE waiting for him in Houston. Why has he not taken it?

I believe this is because his preference is to accept a MLE offer from a better team, and I have an instinct that this team might be Dallas. I have seen rumors that he and the Mavs have mutual interest. If that’s true, why haven’t they offered?

I think maybe they are considering, but are making him wait while they try to get someone they like better first. To me, that’s got to be Grant Williams.

I feel like a lot of money dried up today. The Mavs should be able to end up with one of those guys when the music stops.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 05:17 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: We pretty much KNOW Dillon Brooks has an offer for north of the MLE waiting for him in Houston. Why has he not taken it?

I believe this is because his preference is to accept a MLE offer from a better team, and I have an instinct that this team might be Dallas. I have seen rumors that he and the Mavs have mutual interest. If that’s true, why haven’t they offered?

I think maybe they are considering, but are making him wait while they try to get someone they like better first. To me, that’s got to be Grant Williams.

I feel like a lot of money dried up today. The Mavs should be able to end up with one of those guys when the music stops.
It could be he’s waiting for the Mavs to work out a trade with Mem. THJ for him SnT less than THJ’s salary but north of the MLE ($14-16M?) gets us more room under the apron. 

I’m also wondering about the Horford rumor of wanting out now that KP is there. The 30 SRP, Holmes and Bullock for Horford and GWill SnT? Horford to start at C might not be horrible until Lively gets up to speed.
[-] The following 3 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, soog
Like Reply
I think S&T packages look pretty attractive for Wood, Bullock or THJ.

Charlotte for Mykhailiuk + Oubre + (Bullock)
Orlando for Harris + Wagner. (THJ)
Washington for Gafford + Nunn. (THJ + McGee)
Philly for Reed + McDaniels (THJ)
Portland for Thybulle + Knox (Wood)

That adds depth and you maintain your full MLE and the future 1st.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 05:33 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I think S&T packages look pretty attractive for Wood, Bullock or THJ.

Charlotte for Mykhailiuk + Oubre + (Bullock)
Orlando for Harris + Wagner. (THJ)
Washington for Gafford + Nunn. (THJ + McGee)
Philly for Reed + McDaniels (THJ)
Portland for Thybulle + Knox (Wood)

That adds depth and you maintain your full MLE and the future 1st.

I wonder what Portland does.   It appears with the Grant signing they have no intention of trading Dame, right?  In their meeting with Dame, they had to lay out a vision and this next few weeks is important to show him they can improve the team.    So, what else do they do?   Wood is interesting.   Bullock may be interesting to for them.   It will be interesting to watch them over the next week or so.  A defensive center has to be on the to do list right?

I liked their draft.  Murray and the Rupert ( I know nothing of him) are two longer guys who seem to fit in well with some of their other players.  Both are developmental though.
Like Reply
The Clippers will have to do something soon, and perhaps Zubac is in play (it's hard to imagine him going back to Philly when they have Embid).
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 05:31 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: It could be he’s waiting for the Mavs to work out a trade with Mem. THJ for him SnT less than THJ’s salary but north of the MLE ($14-16M?) gets us more room under the apron. 

I’m also wondering about the Horford rumor of wanting out now that KP is there. The 30 SRP, Holmes and Bullock for Horford and GWill SnT? Horford to start at C might not be horrible until Lively gets up to speed.

I’ve been thinking a lot about this possibility, too. Would really like to see this happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 05:17 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: We pretty much KNOW Dillon Brooks has an offer for north of the MLE waiting for him in Houston. Why has he not taken it?

Not really a big Grant Williams fan but I'd personally buy him a plane ticket to Dallas if he keeps Brooks off this team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • soog
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 08:20 AM)Branduil Wrote: Not really a big Grant Williams fan but I'd personally buy him a plane ticket to Dallas if he keeps Brooks off this team.

Another interesting recent development seems to be that teams just leave RFAs out to dry. It kind of makes sense.

Bridges
Thybulle
Washington
Williams
Reed
Reaves
Donsunmu

Seems like teams are saying. Well show it to me. I seriously wonder WTF is going on in Charlotte. MJ sold the team, but still makes all the decisions. That´s one weird place, but on paper it has a lot of interesting cheap pieces for us including DSJ, Oubre, Mykhailiuk, Hayward, Bridges, Washington, Williams. They´d all fill a position of need.

Okay here me out. How is Kyrie´s relationship with Westbrook? Big Grin 

We could really use a pro´s pro to manage this locker room. Westbrook going downhilll on the 2nd unit with Hardy/Bullock/Kleber spreading the floor and Lively catching lobs. MLE for two years?
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 06:32 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I wonder what Portland does.   It appears with the Grant signing they have no intention of trading Dame, right?  In their meeting with Dame, they had to lay out a vision and this next few weeks is important to show him they can improve the team.    So, what else do they do?   Wood is interesting.   Bullock may be interesting to for them.   It will be interesting to watch them over the next week or so.  A defensive center has to be on the to do list right?

I liked their draft.  Murray and the Rupert ( I know nothing of him) are two longer guys who seem to fit in well with some of their other players.  Both are developmental though.

I think Portland will do something splashy with Simons and whatever assets. You are not selling Dame future with the likes of Wood and Bullock.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 08:29 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Another interesting recent development seems to be that teams just leave RFAs out to dry. It kind of makes sense.

Bridges
Thybulle
Washington
Williams
Reed
Reaves
Donsunmu

Seems like teams are saying. Well show it to me. I seriously wonder WTF is going on in Charlotte. MJ sold the team, but still makes all the decisions. That´s one weird place, but on paper it has a lot of interesting cheap pieces for us including DSJ, Oubre, Mykhailiuk, Hayward, Bridges, Washington, Williams. They´d all fill a position of need.

Okay here me out. How is Kyrie´s relationship with Westbrook? Big Grin 

We could really use a pro´s pro to manage this locker room. Westbrook going downhilll on the 2nd unit with Hardy/Bullock/Kleber spreading the floor and Lively catching lobs. MLE for two years?

Maybe at the vet min.

Nah. Changed my mind.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 08:34 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Maybe at the vet min.

Nah. Changed my mind.

Agreed.

More importantly though, the Mavs are still short at least 2 quality starters. The MLE needs to be used to add a starter, not to reinforce the bench.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 08:20 AM)Branduil Wrote: Not really a big Grant Williams fan but I'd personally buy him a plane ticket to Dallas if he keeps Brooks off this team.

Admittedly I haven't seen much tape on Williams, but on paper I don't see the appeal. An undersized PF that doesn't rebound, but can shoot the 3.  Obviously shooting is always valuable, but unless he's a lockdown defender I'm struggling to get excited about him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kidnova's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 10:58 AM)Kidnova Wrote: Admittedly I haven't seen much tape on Williams, but on paper I don't see the appeal. An undersized PF that doesn't rebound, but can shoot the 3.  Obviously shooting is always valuable, but unless he's a lockdown defender I'm struggling to get excited about him.

Solid defender. Nothing special. But he can guard bigger wings because of his frame. A little bit like PJ Tucker. Bulky with above average lateral quickness.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Kidnova
Like Reply
With Williams AND Kleber (along with Seth AND Hardaway, I hope) it would be really easy to have superior spacing for Luka/Kyrie to cook pretty much nonstop. That’s the main draw for the Williams crowd.

But also, I think his defense might be a little undersold by his detractors, and it’s the good, versatile kind of defense. Multi-positional.

He was always the best fit, imho, assuming they couldn’t find a way to get Grant, Kuzma or some other clear starter at forward.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, loki
Like Reply
If Fisher and Stein are talking about it, the Mavs’ interest in Dillon Brooks must be real.

https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/1675194920078811137?s=61&t=Zmns3TEXDYnIJIXeN05-eQ
Like Reply
Dillon Brooks tried to do a jersey exchange with Kyrie last year. Kyrie turned him down lol.
Like Reply
Outside of the potential risk of missing out because of his RFA status I just don´t see why anyone would take Brooks over Thybulle. Thybulle is a better defender and at least knows that he is extremly limited on offense.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Arioch, DallasMaverick
Like Reply
The new Mavs braintrust seems to have better connections with American players.
Like Reply