Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mid-Level targets
(06-30-2023, 08:21 PM)cow Wrote: With how this free agency period has gone, Brooks would probably be a good deal if we could land him, all else considered.

Yeah far from my answer coming in but I think that's the right play right now
We need a starter that can play 30+ minutes with positive defense and he's just about the only proven one left that's not restricted
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 08:12 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I get not liking Brooks trash talk, but I don't know how anyone could be disappointed if somehow the Mavs sign him. They never get decent free agents. We can't be super picky.

I’m a firm believer that character matters and team chemistry matters. A guy like brooks who talks that much can be a huge distraction and can mess up on court chemistry. You make exceptions to deal with that if the player is incredibly talented, but Brooks just doesn’t have the talent to justify dealing with his knuckleheadedness. I think it speaks volumes that the team who knows him best has decided he’s not worth the trouble.

As alluring as his box scores are, team building is more than advanced stats. The Mavs have already filled the quota for 1 knucklehead (Kyrie) and adding Brooks will ultimately hurt more than it will help.
[-] The following 2 users Like soog's post:
  • cow, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 08:27 PM)soog Wrote: I’m a firm believer that character matters and team chemistry matters. A guy like brooks who talks that much can be a huge distraction and can mess up on court chemistry. You make exceptions to deal with that if the player is incredibly talented, but Brooks just doesn’t have the talent to justify dealing with his knuckleheadedness. I think it speaks volumes that the team who knows him best has decided he’s not worth the trouble.

As alluring as his box scores are, team building is more than advanced stats. The Mavs have already filled the quota for 1 knucklehead (Kyrie) and adding Brooks will ultimately hurt more than it will help.

I mostly agree with you.  I still hope we can work something out for Grant Williams but at some point I look at value and it swings the discussion.  We forgive Kyrie because of his talent.  I could live with a year of Brooks on a sweetheart deal that lets him rebuild his image and puts him on his best behavior.  Jingles got 11M per and I really thought he'd be da BAE level player.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • soog
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 08:32 PM)cow Wrote: I mostly agree with you.  I still hope we can work something out for Grant Williams but at some point I look at value and it swings the discussion.  We forgive Kyrie because of his talent.  I could live with a year of Brooks on a sweetheart deal that lets him rebuild his image and puts him on his best behavior.  Jingles got 11M per and I really thought he'd be da BAE level player.

I agree with you there. I don’t like him for the MLE.  I’m all for a 2 year deal on the BAE with team option in the second year.
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 08:45 PM)soog Wrote: I agree with you there. I don’t like him for the MLE.  I’m all for a 2 year deal on the BAE with team option in the second year.

He's not signing for the BAE anywhere. He might take a one year deal, but it will be at decent money. Look at the contracts everyone is getting. People that aren't that good are getting big contracts.
Like Reply
Brooks doesn't even shoot 40%. His defense is overrated too. This is just basketball stuff, not even him being an annoying human being.
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 09:38 PM)Branduil Wrote: Brooks doesn't even shoot 40%. His defense is overrated too. This is just basketball stuff, not even him being an annoying human being.

Plus, he IS annoying. He literally sees himself as a superstar. No, thank you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 09:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Plus, he IS annoying. He literally sees himself as a superstar. No, thank you.

[Image: FqFfCEjWYAErVSm.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft, soog
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 08:21 PM)cow Wrote: With how this free agency period has gone, Brooks would probably be a good deal if we could land him, all else considered.

As a complete and total aside that has nothing to do with this, I saw someone write this somewhere and thought of you.

Water covers 70% of the Earth, O'Max covers the rest.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 08:48 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: He's not signing for the BAE anywhere. He might take a one year deal, but it will be at decent money. Look at the contracts everyone is getting. People that aren't that good are getting big contracts.

I never said he was. I just said that is the only way I’d want him on this team. With Curry taking it now I’m out altogether
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 10:31 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: As a complete and total aside that has nothing to do with this, I saw someone write this somewhere and thought of you.

Water covers 70% of the Earth, O'Max covers the rest.

I wrote that on discord.  :p
Like Reply
Terrence Davis anyone?
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 11:15 PM)cow Wrote: Terrence Davis anyone?

I feel like our guard rotation is as strong as it’s going to get right now. I’d love to see a starting quality forward added.
Like Reply
Haven't we heard consistent reports that say HOU will land Brooks (and likely at a price the NBA will see as ridiculous, like the FVV deal)?

To finish off the free agency period for the Mavs, I'm still hoping for
1 DP gets the minimum
2 A full MLE signing of someone very useful
3 A trade of some sort (whether a sign-and-trade or not), with perhaps both McGee and Holmes outgoing? There is still a lot of remodeling needed on this roster
4 Within all that, a starting-caliber C and a big defensive wing
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, soog
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 11:24 PM)soog Wrote: I feel like our guard rotation is as strong as it’s going to get right now. I’d love to see a starting quality forward added.

I'm hoping THJ is on his way out and TD would give us another shooter but one that plays D.  Probably prettty inexpensive too.
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 11:07 PM)cow Wrote: I wrote that on discord.  :p
holy lmfao

I read it without even looking at the name and was like "damn cow would love this saying"

Glad to know I was on the right track!!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-30-2023, 09:38 PM)Branduil Wrote: Brooks doesn't even shoot 40%. His defense is overrated too. This is just basketball stuff, not even him being an annoying human being.

The offensive worry is legit, and his personality is definitely grating. But he was just named to the All-Defensive 2nd team.
[-] The following 2 users Like Tyler's post:
  • BigDirk41, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
He shot sub 50% TS on 13 attempts per game. That's downright horrific. AND he complained about wanting a bigger role on offense. Like that type of performance and attitude to wanting shots can clog up your offense. At least someone like Wood was pretty efficient. The defense which isn't exactly elite, isn't worth the headache, not only personality wise but his garbage offensive game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dundalis's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I would hope they finally sign some younger players on the MLE or/and minimum.

We are trying to f*** off McGee on his 21/3 deal from last year. The Lakers signed Thomas Bryant for the minimum that summer, flipped him for three seconds to Denver, which eventually paid for the acquisition of Hachimura and Bamba.

Same bus stop. Lakers got picked up by the hot Asian chick in the Corvette, while the Mavs got hit by a 40 year old truck driver and are now laying in a ditch.
Like Reply
Be nice if Torrey Craig was a little younger but I really like the fit if we decide to split the MLE between multiple people.
Like Reply