Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mid-Level targets
I really can't stand Dillon Brooks, but he would be my top choice to really make this team better. He's annoying as hell to other teams and he's the tough guy/enforcer every team needs. I would hope he would keep the public trash talk to a minimal, but he could really help this team now.
Like Reply
(06-25-2023, 12:48 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I really can't stand Dillon Brooks, but he would be my top choice to really make this team better. He's annoying as hell to other teams and he's the tough guy/enforcer every team needs. I would hope he would keep the public trash talk to a minimal, but he could really help this team now.

If our team chemistry was better, sure, but something was amiss last season and we can't be sure the problem(s) has/have been rooted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 01:53 PM)Tyler Wrote: I agree that he'll make more than the MLE, but we should probably keep an eye on Kuzma in a S&T. Even if I've never been a big fan, I recognize that he'd unquestionably be a massive upgrade at PF. He also has a direct relationship with Kidd from their time in LA. And then there's this:

"The Jazz and Mavericks are among the teams known to have interest in Kuzma, with the Jazz said to be one of the few teams willing to put up big money in various talks early on." https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/nba-tr...gency-2023

The Kidd relationship has got us Sterling Brown and McGee.  I hope we have learned our lesson.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft
Like Reply
Not a fan of a potential Kuzma acquisition, but it IS pretty obvious that a 4 with some offensive utility (hopefully in the package of at least an average defender) is the biggest hole on this team.

Jerami Grant is still my guy, but I doubt it happens.
Like Reply
In an ideal world, we get a young defensive minded forward who does not hurt you on offense. If we can get one of Bruce Brown, Grant Williams or PJ Washington at the MLE I would be ecstatic. They all might get more than MLE, but there is a chance at least one of them will fall to MLE level. Brown is probably my top choice as he can play a little PG in a pinch.
Like Reply
(06-25-2023, 03:51 PM)mvossman Wrote: In an ideal world, we get a young defensive minded forward who does not hurt you on offense.  If we can get one of Bruce Brown, Grant Williams or PJ Washington at the MLE I would be ecstatic.  They all might get more than MLE, but there is a chance at least one of them will fall to MLE level.  Brown is probably my top choice as he can play a little PG in a pinch.

I’m hesitant to get excited about Brown or Williams. I get what both of them bring, but they are both a bit undersized. They excelled on their respective teams, but that was off of the bench. If we’re adding a 6th man, sure sign me up; however, we need one more starter. Could they do the same thing in a full time starting roll? Or would they be exposed (see Williams v Butler)? I’d like to see a bit more size in whomever we add to our starting lineup.

I’d love Cam Johnson (6’9” with 6’10” wingspan). I could get behind PJ Washington (6’7” with 7’3” wingspan)
Like Reply
(06-25-2023, 05:58 PM)soog Wrote: I’m hesitant to get excited about Brown or Williams. I get what both of them bring, but they are both a bit undersized. They excelled on their respective teams, but that was off of the bench. If we’re adding a 6th man, sure sign me up; however, we need one more starter. Could they do the same thing in a full time starting roll? Or would they be exposed (see Williams v Butler)? I’d like to see a bit more size in whomever we add to our starting lineup.

I’d love Cam Johnson (6’9” with 6’10” wingspan). I could get behind PJ Washington (6’7” with 7’3” wingspan)

With a legit center and Luka, I think we are fine adding a good sized wing.  We have the MLE with (hopefully) a priority on youth.  A young guaranteed starter will cost more than what we have, so need to find the guy we think can make the transition (will also be a good selling point).  I think both Brown and Williams could make that leap, but who knows.  Anybody is getting abused by Butler in God mode.
Like Reply
I’ve seen so much hype for Cam Johnson in our community. I just don’t see it. Especially if he’s getting what it sounds like he wants.
Like Reply
(06-25-2023, 06:24 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I’ve seen so much hype for Cam Johnson in our community. I just don’t see it. Especially if he’s getting what it sounds like he wants.

He is going to be the big winner this offfseaon though.  There has been talk what the nets walk away number is and I heard around 30 million.   He may very well get 24-26 million per year this off-season as he is a player a lot of the cap teams will look at.

Issac Harris brought up Vucevic as an MLE candidate.  I am not sure I see the fit but I wonder if the mavs would consider if he wanted to go to a winning situation?
Like Reply
(06-25-2023, 06:22 PM)mvossman Wrote: With a legit center and Luka, I think we are fine adding a good sized wing.  We have the MLE with (hopefully) a priority on youth.  A young guaranteed starter will cost more than what we have, so need to find the guy we think can make the transition (will also be a good selling point).  I think both Brown and Williams could make that leap, but who knows.  Anybody is getting abused by Butler in God mode.

All fair points, though I’d argue we still don’t have a legit starting center. I’d be good with Brown if we also got a real center before the season started.
Like Reply
(06-25-2023, 06:28 PM)soog Wrote: All fair points, though I’d argue we still don’t have a legit starting center. I’d be good with Brown if we also got a real center before the season started.

I think we have one, but it will be a year or two before he is ready.  I still have hope that Holmes fully rebounds from his troubles in Sacto, but thats probably wishful thinking.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-25-2023, 07:04 PM)mvossman Wrote: I think we have one, but it will be a year or two before he is ready.  I still have hope that Holmes fully rebounds from his troubles in Sacto, but thats probably wishful thinking.

Thats my point. I would say that if he is still a year or two away then we don’t have one and need to make a stronger move on the wing.
Like Reply
Honestly, the more I'm thinking about it, Brook Lopez at the MLE to be the defacto starting center here makes a lot of sense.

Not only is he a proven vet, he's a good locker room guy and knows how to win. At his age, him starting and playing 20mpg is likely the best role for him. He could teach Lively a lot.

Holmes is still that PnR big that fills a need, but given Lopez's size he can easily be played with Holmes. Lively's mobility also can make it possible for a Lopez/Lively lineup against the likes of Minnesota, Boston, and NYK.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
They just added a reclamation project at center and drafted another just outside of the lottery. How many 5’s do they need? I’m more than fine going into the season with Holmes, Lively and Kleber playing that position. I would try to dump McGee and replace him with someone cheap (Powell would be fine) but I don’t see the need to keep sinking resources into the position.

If they’re not good enough by the end of the year, try something else. The Mavs aren’t beating Denver this year, anyway.

Now, go snag a young forward or two and start to actually build a TEAM.
[-] The following 7 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ballsrchr, Chicagojk, DanSchwartzgan, Jym, MFFL, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 01:55 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: They just added a reclamation project at center and drafted another just outside of the lottery. How many 5’s do they need? I’m more than fine going into the season with Holmes, Lively and Kleber playing that position. I would try to dump McGee and replace him with someone cheap (Powell would be fine) but I don’t see the need to keep sinking resources into the position.

If they’re not good enough by the end of the year, try something else. The Mavs aren’t beating Denver this year, anyway.

Now, go snag a young forward or two and start to actually build a TEAM.

While I'm continuing to post rumors and comment on them (some that include centers), this is about where I am as well.  Lively is going to get at least 20 minutes a game and will get more over time.  The need for a starting center here is temporary and I think we are discounting the idea that Maxi can take some center minutes.

We have two bites at the apple.  The easy path is just spending the MLE and BAE (we barely have room for both depending on Kyrie and the Holmes TK).  Better than that to me would be to use the MLE for one player and a trade spread on an outgoing player for the other.  The trade spread uses up the money that would otherwise go to the BAE.  McGee and/or expiring Reggie are the logical candidates for outgoing money...especially expiring Reggie who might be attractive to teams trying to move off of multi-year money.

I think the priority has to be someone who pushes Maxi back to a backup role at the four.  If that person could also play some five, all the better.  But they have to be able to hit 3's.  Even with someone like that, It would be nice to get a wing defender who is/plays bigger than Green/THJ/Reggie.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 07:41 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think the priority has to be someone who pushes Maxi back to a backup role at the four.  If that person could also play some five, all the better.  But they have to be able to hit 3's.  Even with someone like that, It would be nice to get a wing defender who is/plays bigger than Green/THJ/Reggie.

PJ Washington is the answer.
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 07:46 AM)Smitty Wrote: PJ Washington is the answer.

I have him near the top of my wish list for the Mavs.

But is PJ a realistic target though?
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 08:24 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I have him near the top of my wish list for the Mavs.

I have trouble seeing it.  It will take the future first we have, but even then I am not sure he will be available now.  Right now most teams are pretty positive with their rosters.    They probably are envisioning what a Lamelo, Miller, Bridges, Washington and Williams starting lineup will look like.   Young and long.    

It is one of the reasons why I would like to hold on to our 27 first round pick.   At the trade deadline or next offseason, there will be teams who will have been smacked with some reality.   

The question is is there a player available for the MLE or a smaller trade who can fill the PF hole on the roster....or wing?
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 08:24 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I have him near the top of my wish list for the Mavs.

Sure, as much as any other target. Here's an article talking about the Hornets options.

Charlotte Hornets 2023 Free Agency Preview - Sports Illustrated Charlotte Hornets News, Analysis and More

Overall, Charlotte has several options to improve their roster significantly this off-season. I anticipate them re-signing Miles Bridges, then acquiring a veteran leader through free agency or a sign-and-trade deal involving PJ Washington. The last roster spot will be used to sign a backup point guard. The team also has other options available, such as utilizing the Mid-Level and Bi-Annual exceptions, although limited roster spots might prevent their usage this year.
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 12:16 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Honestly, the more I'm thinking about it, Brook Lopez at the MLE to be the defacto starting center here makes a lot of sense.

Not only is he a proven vet, he's a good locker room guy and knows how to win. At his age, him starting and playing 20mpg is likely the best role for him. He could teach Lively a lot.

Holmes is still that PnR big that fills a need, but given Lopez's size he can easily be played with Holmes. Lively's mobility also can make it possible for a Lopez/Lively lineup against the likes of Minnesota, Boston, and NYK.

I don't think Lopez is coming to a situation team like Dallas, who's not rebuilding but trying to re-load on the fly. He's got a taste of winning a title, so I'm sure he's either going to re-up with the Bucks or sign with another title contender.  Everybody doesn't just play for money. JMO

(06-26-2023, 08:36 AM)Smitty Wrote: Sure, as much as any other target. Here's an article talking about the Hornets options.

Charlotte Hornets 2023 Free Agency Preview - Sports Illustrated Charlotte Hornets News, Analysis and More

Overall, Charlotte has several options to improve their roster significantly this off-season. I anticipate them re-signing Miles Bridges, then acquiring a veteran leader through free agency or a sign-and-trade deal involving PJ Washington. The last roster spot will be used to sign a backup point guard. The team also has other options available, such as utilizing the Mid-Level and Bi-Annual exceptions, although limited roster spots might prevent their usage this year.

Charlotte is projected to be much improved this year now that MJ isn't calling the shots.
Like Reply