Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mid-Level targets
(07-02-2023, 04:34 PM)omahen Wrote: I am sure it is very easy to prepare for a couple of scenarios, if offer sheet comes. Can they still negotiate a SnT, once the offer is made? Can the player be SnT into the MLE?

Once an offer sheet for a RFA is made, the original team has only two choices - match the offer or pass. There are no other scenarios after the offer is submitted.
Like Reply
One thing we need to remember...does Grant even want to sign for the MLE. Teams with cap have dried up, but he probably looks at the $ for Brown and Brooks and thinks he should be in that range. He also appears pretty stubborn. I wonder if this drags out. A team giving something that Boston wants while also making Grant happy (extra $) may be a win win. With the new cap it just makes things tricky for Boston.

I can guarantee you that Grant sees himself above MLE.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 05:23 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: One thing we need to remember...does Grant even want to sign for the MLE.  Teams with cap have dried up, but he probably looks at the $ for Brown and Brooks and thinks he should be in that range.    He also appears pretty stubborn.  I wonder if this drags out.  A team giving something that Boston wants while also making Grant happy (extra $) may be a win win.  With the new cap it just makes things tricky for Boston. 

I'm sure he does.  Does anyone have the money to give him above MLE?  Can you do a 1+1(PO) on a RFA tender?
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 05:26 PM)cow Wrote: I'm sure he does.  Does anyone have the money to give him above MLE?  Can you do a 1+1(PO) on a RFA tender?

I think Charlotte can, now that Bridges took the QO
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 04:34 PM)omahen Wrote: I am sure it is very easy to prepare for a couple of scenarios, if offer sheet comes. Can they still negotiate a SnT, once the offer is made? Can the player be SnT into the MLE?

It doesn't work like that. You make an offer sheet, then the other team matches or doesn't. No other choices with making an RFA offer sheet.

If you try to negotiate a trade instead of just taking a shot, you are negotiating against yourself, because there is no scenario in which you can improve on the outcome. You have to tell them your number, to do the trade match, and see if you can give them suitable return. Then if they were going to match otherwise to keep the player, they decline the trade and keep the player, and you got nowhere. If they were NOT going to match before, now you end up compensating them when otherwise you wouldn't have had to. Better to just suck it up, take a shot, and see what happens.

There is one place where you try to work a SNT with a RFA and his old team, and that's when you don't have the CBA opening to offer the salary it will take with your cap space or exception, but you think he's worth it and you are willing to pay it. There's no choice in that context, and you have to hope the old team is willing to let him go at a reasonable price.
Like Reply
Alexa - remind me in 4 days to see if teams wait until the 6th to extend offers to restricted free agents.
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 05:23 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: One thing we need to remember...does Grant even want to sign for the MLE.  Teams with cap have dried up, but he probably looks at the $ for Brown and Brooks and thinks he should be in that range.    He also appears pretty stubborn.  I wonder if this drags out.  A team giving something that Boston wants while also making Grant happy (extra $) may be a win win.  With the new cap it just makes things tricky for Boston. 

That indeed will be part of the equation - will Grant (or whoever) sign the offer sheet for what you can offer which would be MLE-ish? If he won't, then either you walk away, or you have to see if BOS would do a SNT.

It's possible they have more than one possibility, and try one via offer sheet, with the other as a backup plan (and perhaps a snt approach) if needed.

(07-02-2023, 05:26 PM)cow Wrote: I'm sure he does.  Does anyone have the money to give him above MLE?  Can you do a 1+1(PO) on a RFA tender?

An offer sheet must be for 2 years not counting option years.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, cow
Like Reply
I think Thybulle is quickly shooting to the top of my wishlist. Great defender and his offense improved substantially last year in Portland. I’m good throwing the full MLE at him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 06:48 PM)F Gump Wrote: It doesn't work like that. You make an offer sheet, then the other team matches or doesn't. No other choices with making an RFA offer sheet.

If you try to negotiate a trade instead of just taking a shot, you are negotiating against yourself, because there is no scenario in which you can improve on the outcome. You have to tell them your number, to do the trade match, and see if you can give them suitable return. Then if they were going to match otherwise to keep the player, they decline the trade and keep the player, and you got nowhere. If they were NOT going to match before, now you end up compensating them when otherwise you wouldn't have had to. Better to just suck it up, take a shot, and see what happens.

There is one place where you try to work a SNT with a RFA and his old team, and that's when you don't have the CBA opening to offer the salary it will take with your cap space or exception, but you think he's worth it and you are willing to pay it. There's no choice in that context, and you have to hope the old team is willing to let him go at a reasonable price.

I don't agree with the second paragraph. If they reject the trade, you can move on to the next target. You only have one shot with the offer sheet. All other options will be off the table. Just hoping they won't match is a very bad plan, imho. Because if they do, you are really screwed. Also, as others mentioned. If you do trade for one of the MLE targets, you can also offer a contract to the other one, if you were able to dump enough salary.
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 06:51 PM)soog Wrote: Alexa - remind me in 4 days to see if teams wait until the 6th to extend offers to restricted free agents.

I'm expecting to see one or more of these before 11 am Dallas time on July 6.
Like Reply