Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: SAC trades Holmes+Prosper to Mavs
(06-22-2023, 11:40 PM)The Jom Wrote: With the player option, Holmes is essentially playing for a new contract 

That makes no sense.  With a player option, he's guaranteed an extra $12 mil payday.

Maybe he'll play hard anyway but the logic is backwards. He's not sniffing that type of money again in his career.
Like Reply
https://youtu.be/iD3Pj6vS3dI?t=51

One of the Box and One videos on O-Max that got me excited for the Mavs to draft him.
Like Reply
https://capcitycrown.com/2023/05/05/movi...offseason/

A good read on what Holmes was dealing with last year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • Tyler
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 10:31 AM)Smitty Wrote: https://capcitycrown.com/2023/05/05/movi...offseason/

A good read on what Holmes was dealing with last year.

I don't know if I still have PTSD from Lamar Odom, but reading the personal struggles Holmes is going through gives me a bad vibe. I hope he's still solid.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Apparently was accused of hurting his son in a custody fight along with the typical opinion article from sacbee that assumes he's guilty. He now has custody of his son.
[-] The following 3 users Like speedkilz88's post:
  • ItsGoTime, khaled1987, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 10:10 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: He's not sniffing that type of money again in his career.

While I believe this to be true, Dallas gives him the perfect opportunity to continue his career as an NBA player long term.  He got paid, had the domestic violence accusations (not a ton of info on this but he has been granted custody of his son and his filing a defamation suit against the Sacramento Bee), and then the Sabonis trade happened.  I'm not saying he's without fault for where his career is but a lot of folks here thought highly of him before he signed that new contract with the Kings.  With the state of our rotation, he doesn't even need to be great to get quality minutes.  I think, or maybe hope, he'll be motivated and can be a useful rotation piece.
[-] The following 6 users Like cow's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Jmaciscool, Mavs2021, MFFL, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 01:46 PM)cow Wrote: While I believe this to be true, Dallas gives him the perfect opportunity to continue his career as an NBA player long term.  He got paid, had the domestic violence accusations (not a ton of info on this but he has been granted custody of his son and his filing a defamation suit against the Sacramento Bee), and then the Sabonis trade happened.  I'm not saying he's without fault for where his career is but a lot of folks here thought highly of him before he signed that new contract with the Kings.  With the state of our rotation, he doesn't even need to be great to get quality minutes.  I think, or maybe hope, he'll be motivated and can be a useful rotation piece.

Contrary to what most sports fans seem to think most players aren´t robots. Their performances usually don´t just deteriorate in their physical primes. It is injuries, addiction problems, mental problems or other personal reasons. You just need to evaluate the reasons and whether they can be overcome. Historically the Mavs have been notoriously ignorant or bad in these situations that demanded research and player evaluations.

This has all the trademarks of a bounce back year for Holmes.

He won the custody battle that must have weighed heavily on his mind. He´s getting out of the toxic environment and bad memories the Sacbee created for him in Sacramento with their accusations. He gets a change of scenery, in a completely new place. That´s exactly the kind of player you can bet on.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • Jmaciscool, michaeltex, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 02:23 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Contrary to what most sports fans seem to think most players aren´t robots. Their performances usually don´t just deteriorate in their physical primes. It is injuries, addiction problems, mental problems or other personal reasons. You just need to evaluate the reasons and whether they can be overcome. Historically the Mavs have been notoriously ignorant or bad in these situations that demanded research and player evaluations.

He won the custody battle that must have weighed heavily on his mind. He´s getting out of the toxic environment and bad memories the Sacbee created for him in Sacramento with their accusations. He gets a change of scenery, in a completely new place. That´s exactly the kind of player you can bet on.

I think it's exactly the kind of player you can bet on when that player is the "cost" of getting another asset.  The difference to me is that in the past it felt like the Mavs bet on players like this as the actual target of the trade which made success dependent on that bet coming true.  I much prefer this route where you get an asset and a potential bonus of the "cost" not ending up as an actual cost.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • Mavs2021, MFFL, mvossman
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 02:28 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: I think it's exactly the kind of player you can bet on when that player is the "cost" of getting another asset.  The difference to me is that in the past it felt like the Mavs bet on players like this as the actual target of the trade hoping which made success dependent on that bet coming true.  I much prefer this route where you get an asset and a potential bonus of the "cost" not ending up as an actual cost.

Yeah maybe it doesn't work out but there's also a chance that we got a starting center for the next 2 years and got paid the 24th pick for our troubles
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • Mavs2021, MFFL
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 01:46 PM)cow Wrote: While I believe this to be true, Dallas gives him the perfect opportunity to continue his career as an NBA player long term.  He got paid, had the domestic violence accusations (not a ton of info on this but he has been granted custody of his son and his filing a defamation suit against the Sacramento Bee), and then the Sabonis trade happened.  I'm not saying he's without fault for where his career is but a lot of folks here thought highly of him before he signed that new contract with the Kings.  With the state of our rotation, he doesn't even need to be great to get quality minutes.  I think, or maybe hope, he'll be motivated and can be a useful rotation piece.

I agree.  I mentioned his domestic situation and him winning and getting custody of his child last season and how that might have impacted his career. He's always been mentioned as a high character guy and he prevailed in this situation also. Hopefully there is something left in him basketball wise.

I'm just pushing back against the notion that having a $12 mil player option means he's playing hungry for a new contract.  That is literally the opposite of the truth.
Like Reply
This is really interesting watching Prosper guard one of most difficult guys to cover last year in college. One hidden effect of having a shot blocker now is you can be more aggressive guarding on the perimeter. Bless Josh Green’s heart, he would battle wings but good players could get to their spots and get good looks. More difficult when you have a shot blocker lurking in the lane.

https://youtu.be/kvkF4f1qg0s
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 11:57 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: are we allowed to say that Kristaps Porzingis turned into Kyrie Irving, Dereck Lively II, Richaun Holmes and OMax Prosper

https://twitter.com/all_things_mavs/stat...62433?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

-----------------

Taking it a step further, Kristaps+DFS+2029 FRP turned into Kyrie, Lively, OMP, and Holmes.

(06-23-2023, 06:53 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: This is really interesting watching Prosper guard one of most difficult guys to cover last year in college. One hidden effect of having a shot blocker now is you can be more aggressive guarding on the perimeter. Bless Josh Green’s heart, he would battle wings but good players could get to their spots and get good looks. More difficult when you have a shot blocker lurking in the lane.

The value of that however is slightly diminished when Lively will have to learn the complicated defensive rules that always require defensive players to move. Big men MUST have high motors to be able to reposition in the NBA vs College.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 06:53 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: This is really interesting watching Prosper guard one of most difficult guys to cover last year in college.  One hidden effect of having a shot blocker now is you can be more aggressive guarding on the perimeter.  Bless Josh Green’s heart, he would battle wings but good players could get to their spots and get good looks.  More difficult when you have a shot blocker lurking in the lane.

WOW 

Yeah he is a very active defender. Constantly pokes and prods. Feet always moving. I hadn't done practically any research on him prior to the pick, and right now I can see exactly why the Mavs targeted him. He tends to be a bit wild when players make their 1-2 dribble move. But his freakish athleticism lets him recover to contest the shot well enough.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 10:10 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: That makes no sense.  With a player option, he's guaranteed an extra $12 mil payday.

Maybe he'll play hard anyway but the logic is backwards.  He's not sniffing that type of money again in his career.

Certainly does make sense. You say he’s not sniffing that money again. But what does he think?
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
(06-23-2023, 02:23 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Contrary to what most sports fans seem to think most players aren´t robots. Their performances usually don´t just deteriorate in their physical primes. It is injuries, addiction problems, mental problems or other personal reasons. You just need to evaluate the reasons and whether they can be overcome. Historically the Mavs have been notoriously ignorant or bad in these situations that demanded research and player evaluations.

On top of all of that, he is a P&R player on a team that went away from P&R.  His fit will be so much better on the Mavs.  He might actually be our best option at starter this coming season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1672...49312?s=20

Quote:Report: The Celtics were thrilled to take OMax at 25 before the Mavs traded to 24 and stole him, per Bill Simmons
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 05:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1672...49312?s=20

Kinda reminds me of Desmond Bane vs. Tyrell Terry, except this time we did the stealing.
Like Reply
Prosper's offensive game.... against Baylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKbzLXufARU

"There's a lot of things that I do that I feel players don't necessarily pay attention to," Prosper said. "Like, they feel like they should come in and score 20 -- nah, that's not what it's all about. It's how can you come in and help a team win and impact the game. You see a guy like Christian Braun with the Nuggets, he earned his minutes by doing the little things. I'm a guy that's going to come in, that's going to defend multiple positions, that's going to play hard, that's going to cut, that's going to finish, that's going to rebound. All the things that can bring a lot of value to a team even if they've already got two superstars."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-24-2023, 07:21 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Kinda reminds me of Desmond Bane vs. Tyrell Terry, except this time we did the stealing.

It's nice to payback the Celtics for trading that pick which became Bane to Memphis.

Hopefully OMax reaches Banes level so it can really burn.
Like Reply