Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: BOS gets KP+#25+2024 FRP, WAS gets Jones+Gallo+Muscala+#35, MEM gets Smart
(06-22-2023, 12:14 PM)Jym Wrote: I've been one of the most positive KP people on this board and wish we had not traded him when we did
Him making 15 to 20 mil a year seems quite objective to me

OK, so what comps do you use for that objectivity?  Who produces like he does on both ends, is a big, and makes $15m-$20m?
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 01:14 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: OK, so what comps do you use for that objectivity?  Who produces like he does on both ends, is a big, and makes $15m-$20m?

Lopez's last deal averaged 13 mil a year
Zubac's last deal was around 11 mil

I'm not sure what you expect him to do with the Celtics but I would expect him to be around a 14 and 8 player next year. If he accepts that type of role and the money that comes with that then I think he has a future with them. But maybe he just prefers life as a 20+ ppg guy and he'll find a bad team that will pay him more for a bigger role
Like Reply
It’s interesting to me that everyone is acting like this was a Porzingis trade. I guess that’s to be expected from our vantage point, but it seems to me like this was really a Marcus Smart trade. I mean, the Celtics ended up with two first round picks, right? Seems like one of those was for smart, and the other one was to carry Porzingis for a year to me.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 02:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It’s interesting to me that everyone is acting like this was a Porzingis trade. I guess that’s to be expected from our vantage point, but it seems to me like this was really a Marcus Smart trade. I mean, the Celtics ended up with two first round picks, right? Seems like one of those was for smart, and the other one was to carry Porzingis for a year to me.

"Everyone" here makes sense given the history with the player.  I haven't kept up with sports media though.  I'm curious what this means for Boston.  Are they giving up at this version of the team's title hopes.  I think they did will in returning two firsts for Smart and maybe KP can contribute. I guess we will see where the rest of their dominos fall.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Edit: Wrong thread
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 02:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It’s interesting to me that everyone is acting like this was a Porzingis trade. I guess that’s to be expected from our vantage point, but it seems to me like this was really a Marcus Smart trade. I mean, the Celtics ended up with two first round picks, right? Seems like one of those was for smart, and the other one was to carry Porzingis for a year to me.

Of course it was a Porzingis trade. Boston wanted him. They first had Clippers with Brogdon, but they went out. So they had to trade Smart. Both picks were for Smart.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 02:52 PM)omahen Wrote: Of course it was a Porzingis trade. Boston wanted him. They first had Clippers with Brogdon, but they went out. So they had to trade Smart. Both picks were for Smart.

Idk, I guess that's a good point - the bit about this being the second version. That makes some good sense. But, it's not like they're extending him or anything. Leaving the door open for a salary reduction, it seems to me. 

IDK, just seems like Smart is the actual notable player changing hands. I don't care much for either of them, so I'm happy the Mavs weren't involved in this one.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 02:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Idk, I guess that's a good point - the bit about this being the second version. That makes some good sense. But, it's not like they're extending him or anything. Leaving the door open for a salary reduction, it seems to me. 

IDK, just seems like Smart is the actual notable player changing hands. I don't care much for either of them, so I'm happy the Mavs weren't involved in this one.

KP and the picks will help out the Grant Williams situation.  Draft a replacement this year and use KP to bridge the gap.  So wanting KP makes sense in that regard.  Agreed, Smart should be the headliner but defensive guys don't usually get the full force of the national media's talking heads.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 02:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Idk, I guess that's a good point - the bit about this being the second version. That makes some good sense. But, it's not like they're extending him or anything. Leaving the door open for a salary reduction, it seems to me. 

I forgot the source, but Celtics were in the hurry for KP to pick his option. Also, a 2 year extension is supposed to be coming his way.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 03:08 PM)omahen Wrote: I forgot the source, but Celtics were in the hurry for KP to pick his option. Also, a 2 year extension is supposed to be coming his way.

That seems crazy but I have Unicorn PTSD.
Like Reply
Will be interesting to see how this changes their scheme. For years Smart was the spearhead of their aggressive switch heavy/pre rotate/overload scheme. One of the most versatile defenders in the league that basically played the role of a mini-Draymond. Quarterbacking the defense. Using his versatility to make up for mistakes from his teammates.
Now they are replacing him with a "dinosaur" big on defense. There is no way that KP can play a Horford/Williams-like role on defense.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 03:13 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: There is no way that KP can play a Horford/Williams-like role on defense.

Agreed.
Like Reply
Loyalty in the NBA is a one-way street...unless your name is Dwight Powell.

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...2092327949
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 03:13 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Will be interesting to see how this changes their scheme. For years Smart was the spearhead of their aggressive switch heavy/pre rotate/overload scheme. One of the most versatile defenders in the league that basically played the role of a mini-Draymond. Quarterbacking the defense. Using his versatility to make up for mistakes from his teammates.
Now they are replacing him with a "dinosaur" big on defense. There is no way that KP can play a Horford/Williams-like role on defense.

The thing is, Stevens is a GM/Coach. He isn't a guy who trade for value like Ainge but for fit.

I don't know what they are going to in terms of X and O but I would bet they have a very solid plan in advance. 

Obviously, even the greatest minds can make a plan that fails.
Like Reply