Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: BOS gets KP+#25+2024 FRP, WAS gets Jones+Gallo+Muscala+#35, MEM gets Smart
The Boston Celtics are finalizing a deal to acquire the Washington Wizards’ Kristaps Porzingis, sources tell ESPN. Porzingis is opting into his $36M contract for 2023-2024 and getting his trade to the Celtics

The Celtics are trading Marcus Smart to the Grizzlies as part of deal, sources tell ESPN.

The Grizzlies are sending 2023 and 2024 first-round picks to the Celtics, sources tell ESPN. Grizzlies are sending No. 25 on Thursday night and 2024 pick via Golden State for Smart.

[/url]
[url=https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1671730676037562369/analytics]2.3M

[Image: image.png]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I wish Dallas would have gotten Smart when they traded KP.

Memphis will be a defensive juggernaut with Smart and Jackson in the lineup. I would move on from Ja at this point if I were them.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
Dallas would've had to pay 2 FRPs (albeit late firsts) for the pleasure of getting Smart.

Washington only got a mishmash of role players and a mid 2nd round pick for KP. His value wasn't nearly as high as it was perceived to be.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I'd say the Wizards did good with the KP saga.  Got rid of Dinwiddie who didn't fit with their team and one of the worst contracts in the league to take on KP while getting tipped a second rounder.  Turned the last year of KP into a backup guard who can probably be flipped this season for another draft asset and another second rounder.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 12:01 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Dallas would've had to pay 2 FRPs (albeit late firsts) for the pleasure of getting Smart.

Washington only got a mishmash of role players and a mid 2nd round pick for KP. His value wasn't nearly as high as it was perceived to be.

True. I just want to see Dallas start using picks for smart team building. Every year good players are drafted that they ignore. Sure, a lot of other teams do to but I don't care about the other teams.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 12:01 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:  

Yeah, another big name - high dollar player goes for very little return.  Further evidence of what Ayton/Collins types should cost.  This turned out to be a Boston/Memphis trade that KP was thrown into.
Like Reply
Copying here from the Around the NBA trade

So Boston ends up trading Smart and salary fillers for KP. Picking up 2 FRP in the process. I think the move makes them worse, but they have plenty of flexibility to do other stuff. KP with Rob Williams could be an interesting frontcourt. I hope KP will be looking for his post ups a lot Smile

Smart on Memphis will be interesting to see. Not really bigger wing they need next to Morant and Bane, it will be difficult to play those three together. They also lost Jones, who was elite back-up PG. Not really a fan of the deal for them. They still have plenty of assets to do more if they wish.

Washington got elite back-up PG and a solid second rounder for a guy that could just walk. Looking at big picture, they dumped Din, Bertans and received expiring Jones and two second rounders. I wonder if the plan still is to go after guard in the draft, in which case most likely Jones is gone. I think Monte Morris is very available. Too bad Mavs don't have a couple of second rounders. He is a perfect third creator, first guard of the bench.
Like Reply
(06-21-2023, 11:56 PM)audiosway Wrote: I wish Dallas would have gotten Smart when they traded KP.

Memphis will be a defensive juggernaut with Smart and Jackson in the lineup. I would move on from Ja at this point if I were them.

I don't see them giving up on Ja just yet. They'll probably play them together. If Ja gets his life together as most expect, Memphis will still project as one of the league's best teams. They hit a speed bump last year, with injuries and drama. But adding Smart was a good move as they didn't have any vets in the locker room.
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_...tful-deals

ESPN trade breakdown.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 01:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Yeah, another big name - high dollar player goes for very little return.  Further evidence of what Ayton/Collins types should cost.  This turned out to be a Boston/Memphis trade that KP was thrown into.

If anything this trade makes me think Ayton/Collins types are worth much lower than what I've been thinking up until now. KP, despite his flaws, makes up the ideal archetype of what you want from a center in todays game with his rim protection and shooting, two skills I think he actually surpasses Ayton/Collins in.

If that kind of player only goes for end of bench guys and a 2nd rounder, then it stands to reason PHX/ATL should be paying other teams a first to just take Ayton/Collins off their hands.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, HoosierDaddyKid, Okstate819
Like Reply
I am not sure what to think of the trade. Two typically smart franchises though in Boston and Memphis, so I want to give them some benefit of the doubt.

On the surface, I like what the Celtics did.    Dicey to expect Horford to be as solid as he was last year at his age and Williams is always hurt.  So is KP, but if he is ready to be a 3rd or 4th offensive option he will fit in there really well.  Question though, is a extension a part of this trade?  If this is a one year trial, I like it better.  If it is extending KP for 35 million range, it is a little more iffy.

For Memphis, I have always been a big Tyus Jones fan.  I thought they would keep him with Ja's suspension, but there were rumors they would try to move him when his value is high and give him the opp to be a starter.  I am less certain on Smart.  He does fit the template of what they like though.  I see the vision, but the lack of shooting on that team is a little concerning.  But Memphis typically thinks a few steps ahead in their moves and I would be surprised if they do not have another move coming this summer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
So KP’s value went up by a little bit.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 08:55 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So KP’s value went up by a little bit.

Dinwiddie was a former all-star, starter, and much better player than Tyus Jones has ever been. 

Boils down to how much value you put on Dinwiddie as a player vs. the trash attached. Gallinari+Muscala are bad. Both of their contracts combined are about 11 mil in eaten cap. Wizards got a mid 30s 2nd. Mavs had to pay a late 50s 2nd. Although the Wizards were taking on 2 years of KP while the Celtics is presumably taking on an expiring) so that needs to be accounted for.

Overall with all of these factors, I'd peg KP's value around the same.
Like Reply
As far as trade value goes KP is a throw in. As far as NBA media narratives go the Celtics are forming another big three and KP is a superstar big.
Like Reply
It'll be interesting to see if he'll accept that he's more of a Brooke Lopez type guy in this league. He could be a big part of some very good teams if he's willing to accept that he's more of a 12 to 16 ppg guy who should be making a bit north of the MLE
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 09:18 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Dinwiddie was a former all-star, starter, and much better player than Tyus Jones has ever been. 

Boils down to how much value you put on Dinwiddie as a player vs. the trash attached. Gallinari+Muscala are bad. Both of their contracts combined are about 11 mil in eaten cap. Wizards got a mid 30s 2nd. Mavs had to pay a late 50s 2nd. Although the Wizards were taking on 2 years of KP while the Celtics is presumably taking on an expiring) so that needs to be accounted for.

Overall with all of these factors, I'd peg KP's value around the same.

Leaving out Bertans albatross contract kind of swings the conversation pretty heavily.  Like I said, I don't think the Wizards got a kings ransom but they did some smart, around the edges maneuvering to get rid of two players with chemistry issues, one on one of the leagues worst contracts, got tipped a pick in the process and then turned KP into an asset for a desirable player and another pick.

Overall, I'm not sure how to feel about the trade. I'd give Washington a solid grade. Getting two firsts for Smart is probably well done by Boston and they can kick the KP tire, but I'm curious what they view him as, as I don't think he improves that team at all. For Memphis, kind of confused too. Maybe they want Smart to bring experience, maturity and leadership to that locker room but as much as I love Smart, I'm not sure he's all that plus the paid price is a little hefty. Seems like they could have read the room better with the Celtic situation and maybe paid less.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Brilliant move by the Celtics. IMO, Smart is on the decline. White and Brogdon can more than fill in. KP is going to have an allstar year.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 10:22 AM)Jym Wrote: It'll be interesting to see if he'll accept that he's more of a Brooke Lopez type guy in this league. He could be a big part of some very good teams if he's willing to accept that he's more of a 12 to 16 ppg guy who should be making a bit north of the MLE

You had me in agreement until the last part.  On no planet is KP a player "who should be making a bit north of the MLE".  Top 10 defensive big (2023 NBA defensive standards).  Top 10 as a stretch big.  We shouldn't lose objectivity because Cuban got screwed in the exit trade.
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 11:55 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: You had me in agreement until the last part.  On no planet is KP a player "who should be making a bit north of the MLE".  Top 10 defensive big (2023 NBA defensive standards).  Top 10 as a stretch big.  We shouldn't lose objectivity because Cuban got screwed in the exit trade.

I've been one of the most positive KP people on this board and wish we had not traded him when we did
Him making 15 to 20 mil a year seems quite objective to me
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(06-22-2023, 12:14 PM)Jym Wrote: I've been one of the most positive KP people on this board and wish we had not traded him when we did
Him making 15 to 20 mil a year seems quite objective to me

Just difficult to build around max players with fatal flaws. In KPs case it is the combination of his inability to punish mismatches on offense and him being a liability when he has to defend in space. Teams can target him and take away his rim protection, switch hunt and force him to defend the perimeter. At the same time they can get away with smaller defenders on KP and take away his matchup advantage over traditional bigs.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DallasMaverick, omahen
Like Reply