Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predictions are Tough (especially about the future)
(06-16-2023, 08:53 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Much of this depends on what we think of Nico and how much we are able to let past wounds and disappointments go.  Nico is the relationship guy and part of relationships is AAU coaches and college coaches (and G-League coaches) and any host of people with a good eye for talent.  We turned the 37th pick last year into someone who is arguably a top 10 guy in his draft class.  Something changed because it wasn’t that long ago we totally whiffed on two second rounders in the same draft that were higher than 37.

If we are willing to give Nico a little rope based on Hardy, then getting a top 10 talent doesn’t necessarily mean using a top 10 pick to do it.  That’s an element of why I’m comfortable moving down (but not out) from 10 if it does other things for us (like rids us of some salary, gets us a veteran big AND permits us to make a value pick or two).  It doesn’t have to be #15 for me either.  What if 10 for 15 got us Capela for Bertans.  Then we do the Bojan deal and get the first pick in the second round.  Capela, Bojan and someone of the same value as Hardy with 31?  We could call it a summer at that point…especially if 31 was a big wing who can defend and hit 3’s.

I've had the same thoughts on Nico.  It's like he's Sonny Vicarro had he gone into a front office.  Basketball is a relationship business.  He has established connections who will tell him the truth.  I also think he's similar to Jimmy Johnson.  A big reason Jimmy was so successful in the early 90's at drafting is that he'd spent years recruiting and, therefore, had added insight into the players.  The longer he was away from college, the less successful he was at drafting.  It will be interesting if this plays out the same for Nico.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Predictions are Tough (especially about the future) - by RasheedsBigWhiteSpot - 06-16-2023, 10:21 PM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 06-17-2023, 08:34 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 06-22-2023, 06:00 AM