Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predictions are Tough (especially about the future)
(06-02-2023, 08:16 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I thought it would be interesting to post a 10 question test regarding the draft and free agency and see how people do.  Please answer before the draft.  If you post more than one guess (as things change between now and then), please let us know which is your "Sheet of Integrity".  This is intended to be what you 'think' will happen as opposed to what you 'want' to happen.  Each question is worth 10 points.  Six of the questions are simple Yes/No or Over/Under.  Four of the questions require a name.  Good Luck:

1. Will Kyrie remain a Dallas Maverick next season?  Y/N
YES ...Cuban won't let his new high-priced toy get away. This is just like KP.

2. Will Kyrie make over or under $41mm in the first year of his next contract?  O/U
OVER ... While I think "same as Luka or less" is the right number, I don't think Cuban has the negotiating skill to keep from overpaying. I hope to be proven wrong on this one.

3. Will Dwight Powell make over or under $4mm on his next contract?  O/U
OVER ...and I don't assume he will be a Mav next year

4. Will the Mavericks keep or trade the player taken at #10?  Keep/Trade
TRADE ... I wish the Mavs would keep the pick if it's a really good prospect at the right position, but I think they are too enamored of what they can get by trading down (or out) of pick 10 to stay at 10

5. Who will the Mavericks draft with whatever first round pick they make (N/A if no pick)?  __________
LIVELY? ....It mostly depends on where they pick and who is available, of course, and I would hope for a trade down rather than a trade out of the 1st round.

6. Who will be presumed to be the Mavericks starting center in Mid-July?  ___________
AYTON ...I cringe as I write it, but it's such a Cuban move to go for the big name with the bad contract. I like Claxton of course, if available, and the Capella ideas, much better than Ayton. And I think the price they ask and Cuban gives for him will be a killer for the Mavs' chances to assemble a really strong team around Luka.

7. Will Christian Wood get a contract over the full MLE?  Y/N
NO ... I think his best play for an over-MLE contract would be with Mavs working with him on a SNT, but I think that adds too much salary to the Mavs payroll to have much of a shot at happening. IMO his expectation that he's an All-Star-in-waiting and his new team needs to help accommodate that will work against him in a big way.

8. Will the Mavericks total salary to start the season be: 
    1. Under the LT 
    2. Between the LT and first apron 
    3. Over the first apron
2 BETWEEN  

9. Name one current Maverick player who will be traded or waived by mid-July?  ______________ 
BERTANS ... Because of the cap crunch, I think he's a lock to be stretch-waived

10. Who will the Mavericks sign (if anyone) in free agency above the minimum (N/A if none)? _________________
KYRIE ... He's a free agent. I hope they have a big MLE too and use it, and would want someone like Torrey Craig. (It would be a finesse move if the Mavs could roll Craig into an Ayton trade rather than have to use some or all of the MLE.) 

My guesses above.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Predictions are Tough (especially about the future) - by F Gump - 06-03-2023, 09:54 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 06-17-2023, 08:34 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 06-22-2023, 06:00 AM