Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cavs are ready to listen to trade offers for Love? (Love prefers Blazers?)
An interesting Cleveland name to keep an eye on is John Henson.  He's two games back from injury.  A couple of seasons ago he was the 7th ranked PF in D-RPM.  Last season, in VERY limited time, he started to add a 3 point shot.  They were 46% of his shot attempts in 14 games and he was hitting .355 (.400 on corner 3's).  He fits out TPE and expires this summer.  His agent is Jim Tanner, same as Justin Jackson.

Not a star and maybe not even a starter here.  But, we are super thin at the position and he would be added depth.  What would be be doing if Powell had done something serious to his arm the other night and was going to be out for a month?
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 09:41 AM)Dirkster21 Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 06:48 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 06:25 AM)burekemde Wrote: Who is that player? Can anyone suggest who that might be to trade for?

Realistically the options that fit your criteria are Favors, Adams and Tristan Thompson. Essentially the names that we have discussed for the last few weeks.
I like Favors, Adams. How about Jonathan Isaac, or Mitchell Robinson? Just asking your opinion.

Great prospects but if you don´t want to include KP they are out of reach.
Like Reply
How many hours after Rodney Hood tore his Achilles was this leaked by the Cavs? Can probably be better measured in minutes.

(12-07-2019, 10:16 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: There are teams that can offer much more. Yes that's true. And he would fit on other teams better.

But if we're focusing on the Mavs,  I don't see why everyone is so down on the fit if you look at it as, Love vs. Powell.  Who is better? The answer is Love in every aspect.  Not debating that there are better fits for that 4/5 position than Love. But if we are simply talking Love for Powell in the lineup then its a no brainer.

For this offense and this team, Powell is basically a less talented version of Love. In every way possible. Besides the 1 or 2 alley oops he converts a game. Why would you not want to upgrade your weakest starter with a supped up version of himself?

Because he makes $31M, misses 25% of games every year and severely impacts our immediate future (young talent gone, picks gone, easy pathway to max free agent 2021 gone) without providing fixture of our most desperate needs: perimeter defense and rim protection. The only additional skill he brings to the table is 3pt shooting. Basically he´s DeAndre Jordan with a 3pt shot.
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 06:48 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 06:25 AM)burekemde Wrote: Who is that player? Can anyone suggest who that might be to trade for?

Realistically the options that fit your criteria are Favors, Adams and Tristan Thompson. Essentially the names that we have discussed for the last few weeks.

Those are interesting options indeed. It would be awesome if someone that watches a lot these players make a breakdown how they directly compare to Powell. In terms of skills, rim running, settings screes, defense, shooting, assists etc. etc. where they are worse/better than Powell. And also how we could get each of them in a potential trade.
Like Reply
I am ready to listen to someone else trading for Love.

If he doesn't work out, that contract kills us.
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 12:16 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 10:56 PM)audiosway Wrote: 100% pass. Not a good fit. The Mavs need to be looking at better fits for the 5 spot so KP can stay in that mobile 4 (ala Dirk) spot. We need someone that can rim protect and move Powell back to the bench. I LOVE Powell as the bench 5 but not so much as a starter.
I agree, I also think the same for DFS. If we had Powell and DFS on the bench, the bench would be that much more amazing!

Luka
THJ or better player
Better player
KP
Better player

Wright or JB 
Curry
DFS or JJ
Maxi
Powell

JJB
Boban
Roby
Broekhoff
Lee

The spots with "or" makes those players expendable for trade IMO. Also wouldn't necessarily need a 10 man rotation. If we made it a 9 man is where Curry, Powell or Maxi becomes tradable for the right incoming piece.
Totally agree. I like DFS but he is a bench mob guy. A 5 like Steven Adams and an upgraded wing would make this team that much better.
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 12:19 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: How many hours after Rodney Hood tore his Achilles was this leaked by the Cavs? Can probably be better measured in minutes.

(12-07-2019, 10:16 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: There are teams that can offer much more. Yes that's true. And he would fit on other teams better.

But if we're focusing on the Mavs,  I don't see why everyone is so down on the fit if you look at it as, Love vs. Powell.  Who is better? The answer is Love in every aspect.  Not debating that there are better fits for that 4/5 position than Love. But if we are simply talking Love for Powell in the lineup then its a no brainer.

For this offense and this team, Powell is basically a less talented version of Love. In every way possible. Besides the 1 or 2 alley oops he converts a game. Why would you not want to upgrade your weakest starter with a supped up version of himself?

Because he makes $31M, misses 25% of games every year and severely impacts our immediate future (young talent gone, picks gone, easy pathway to max free agent 2021 gone) without providing fixture of our most desperate needs: perimeter defense and rim protection. The only additional skill he brings to the table is 3pt shooting. Basically he´s DeAndre Jordan with a 3pt shot.
I would take DJ over Love on this team.  Not kidding.  One of the worst high dollar options in the league to pair with KP.  If we were to one day lose KP to an injury, then I would take a hard look at Love, but together, that is not a good combo.

Seriously, he is not a good fit, doesn't address our biggest concerns, is oft injured, and really jacks with our cap.  HARD pass.  The player we want from their frontcourt is TT.  If he is available, I hope the Mavs are at least kicking the tires on what it would take to get him.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status...8527681538
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Cavaliers forward Kevin Love prefers a move to a contending team, league sources tell The Athletic. Cleveland has been open to engaging in discussions with teams, as ESPN reported on Friday. Love has three years and $90 million remaining on his contract after this season.
Like Reply

The argument of Love vs. Powell isn't so simple as you make it seem. At least when it comes to fit here. Yes, without a doubt, Love is unequivocally the better player vs Powell on the face of it.

But if he were to fill the 5 here, Love can't do a key thing that Powell is elite at, and that's catching lobs. Powell being such a lethal lob threat keeps defenses incredibly honest on Luka's drives. Love has only attempted 1 dunk this entire year, and only 33 layups. In contrast, Of Powell's 98 shot attempts, 80 of them have come as either dunks (45) or layups (35). However, obviously the Mavs wouldn't run Love as a rim-runner, and his most elite skill, shooting, blows Powell out of the water. He's currently at 16ppg, on 44/37/88 which is almost as efficient as Dirk was in his twilight years. Love is a LETHAL shooter. Add onto his fantastic rebounding (10.5rpg), he would be a massive upgrade over Powell there as well 

But at the end of the day the fact that Love can't do that one skill basically transforms this entire offense. Perhaps making a trade like that would force the Mavs to pivot and run KP as the lob catcher and put Love off to shoot the 3. That could theoretically work given how good KP is at catching and finishing, but is such a drastic change smart especially given how well the offense already works? 

If Love was an all-NBA defender then I could see the Mavs swinging a trade and doing something like that, but Love is just as bad as a defender as Powell. Players are shooting 46% when either guarded by Powell or Love.  Its actually quite remarkable how opponents shoot exactly the same against them. 

My biggest reservation is introducing such a massive change like that in the middle of the season, especially given how the Mavs are firing on all cylinders on offense. And then add onto it that Love's contract runs for 3 more years at 30+ million each year, it makes it even harder to stomach.

If the Mavs really wanted to trade for a big contract, CP3 is at least a good defender and is contributing massively to winning right now in OKC. His addition wouldn't change the dynamic of the offense and theoretically would actually add more to the offense than Love, who'd completely change it.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
If he had 1 less year on his deal I would be all in on trading for him.

I guess if you had Powell and Seth in the deal then you only add $11 mil to the cap in 2021.

Teams have shown they can make the space required and if they are adding Giannis they can trade future assets to make space.
Like Reply
We should look at trades that will improve our defense first to complement of No 1 ranked offense  Smile
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 07:09 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: We should look at trades that will improve our defense first to complement of No 1 ranked offense  Smile

Big reason why I'm a huge proponent for a Courtney Lee+ GSW 2nd, 2023 Miami 2nd for Iggy+Jae Crowder trade

Mavs get 2 seriously good defenders for a guy who isn't really in the rotation. If DFS is having an off night, then we have Jae OR Iggy to step right in. Mavs could form an all lockdown lineup with Wright/Iggy/Jae/DFS (or Maxi)/Kristaps. There'd be no offense, but the defense would be tantalizing! 

Mavs also pick up 2 more wing defenders, which would seriously be beneficial in a hypothetical 7 game series against the Clips.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 07:56 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 07:09 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: We should look at trades that will improve our defense first to complement of No 1 ranked offense Smile

Big reason why I'm a huge proponent for a Courtney Lee+ GSW 2nd, 2023 Miami 2nd for Iggy+Jae Crowder trade

Mavs get 2 seriously good defenders for a guy who isn't really in the rotation. If DFS is having an off night, then we have Jae OR Iggy to step right in. Mavs could form an all lockdown lineup with Wright/Iggy/Jae/DFS (or Maxi)/Kristaps. There'd be no offense, but the defense would be tantalizing!

Mavs also pick up 2 more wing defenders, which would seriously be beneficial in a hypothetical 7 game series against the Clips.

I like it, even if it means that RFA has to be cut.
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 07:56 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 07:09 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: We should look at trades that will improve our defense first to complement of No 1 ranked offense  Smile

Mavs get 2 seriously good defenders for a guy who isn't really in the rotation. If DFS is having an off night, then we have Jae OR Iggy to step right in. Mavs could form an all lockdown lineup with Wright/Iggy/Jae/DFS (or Maxi)/Kristaps. There'd be no offense, but the defense would be tantalizing! 

I don't know why they just tip us Crowder, but if that can happen, I'm all for it!
Like Reply
(12-09-2019, 10:15 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don't know why they just tip us Crowder, but if that can happen, I'm all for it!

My thought process is, the amount of teams willing to trade for Iggy are small. Of the ones that would want him, the teams that can actually match the salaries to make it work are even smaller. This really limits Memphis' market for Iggy.

Right now, as I see it Iggy's suitors are Lakers, Clippers, Mavericks (based on Windhorst and past interest/need), and Rockets and thats about it. The other contenders haven't been linked but I can't see a team like MIL being able to swing anything for him due to their contract situation. 

Lakers are a tough match. Unless they want to trade Danny Green, which I'm sure they won't,  they'd have to trade at least 2 players. KCP is their next highest contract at 8 mil. Which means they'd have to send at least 4 mill more of salary with him. They could do it cleanly with Bradley or McGee, but of course the Lakers wouldn't really want to do that and why would Memphis want that package? But here's the catch, KCP has a no-trade clause, and I really doubt he wants to get shipped off to the tanking purgatory in Memphis. That means they'd have to send at least 3-4 players for just Iggy alone.   So the Lakers either have to try the dead end route of pairing KCP with someone or gut their bench, which means to me the Lakers are out. That is unless they can find a 3rd team where they can ship KCP to where he'll be happy, and trade 1 of their 2 key rotation pieces, along with making it Memphis's worthwhile. If they jump through all those hoops and want to trade multiple players for just Iggy alone then good luck to them. 

Clippers are easier. They can send out Harkless and Jerome Robinson and it'd work. Harkless is an expiring, and Robinson is a young player. The only hiccup I see is why would the Clips want to give up a a starter AND young player for what's most likely to be a 20mpg dude in Iggy. They can also cobble together Patterson and Kabengle to get to that 3.5 million extra they need to match instead of Robinson, but at that point that's a starter and 2 bench players for Iggy. And for Memphis who's rebuilding, how does Harkless and either Robinson or the Pat/Kab combo help them in any way to rebuild? Clips spent their treasure trove of assets on Paul George. They have some 2nd rounders, but they're all slated to be in the mid 50's  with restrictions and I'm sure the Clips are reluctant to give up any more picks. So I while I don't count the Clips out at all, they just don't have that many interesting assets for Memphis. Maybe Memphis finds Detroit's 2021 2nd rounder enticing. 

Rockets have Nene that's expendable, but that's about it. In order to grab Iggy, they'd have to package Nene along with contracts that add up to or exceed 4.5 million. But the thing is the Rockets are already incredibly shallow. They're running their starters into the ground right now. They're basically 7 deep with Harden/Westbrook/Tucker all slated to get at least 37 minutes each game.  Rivers and Mclemore are their guys off the bench, and 1 of them would be needed to match the salaries, and I don't see why Memphis would want any of those players. Rockets traded 4 first rounders for Westbrook, so they're light on picks at the moment, and Iggy doesn't drastically move the needle for them to justify gutting what's left of an incredibly shallow team. 

Mavs as I see it have the only easy route contract matching wise AND the assets to make it Memphis's worthwhile. Mavs are in a unique position that can have them take back more salary than anyone. Iggy and Crowder make a combined 25 million. The Mavs just by sending Lee can save Memphis 13 million in salary, which is an asset in and of itself. Add onto it the Mavs can send a pseudo-first rounder in the name of the GSW 2nd to sweeten the pot. Those are 2 unique things that only the Mavs can do in the Iggy race. And the Mavs aren't taking back any long term salary so if Jae/Iggy don't work, then they can move on in the summer and only gave up a player not in the rotation who was set to leave and a good 2nd rounder for the chance at defensive greatness. And to me that's well worth the risk. Memphis essentially get rid of 2 players they aren't using/in their long term plans for massive salary savings and basically a late first rounder. 

I hope the Mavs can find a way to make this deal happen because I think having the experience of Iggy on the floor in a playoff series would be invaluable. And having 2 backup's in case DFS is sucking would be a great tool to have on a nightly basis.
Like Reply
I'd love to get Jae and Iggy, that would be quite a haul if you just have to send out Lee, some 2nd picks and TPE.
Like Reply
Do we want Crowder for sentamentality or just to give Mempis extra salary relief?  He has been really bad the last 2 years, I don't think he would be in the rotation here, especially not if we are adding Iggy.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/statu...3315361792
Like Reply
(12-07-2019, 12:19 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: How many hours after Rodney Hood tore his Achilles was this leaked by the Cavs? Can probably be better measured in minutes.

I concur.
Like Reply