Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 62: LAL (28-32) @ DAL (32-29) | 2:30 CST tip
(02-26-2023, 06:31 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Wood is done here...it doesn't matter anymore. The Mavs hate him, they would rather give Powell the max than sign Wood for the minimum probably

The bigger problem will continue to be how many big men will this team run out of town? They keep requiring a unicorn PF/C who can switch defensively, hit threes, finish around the basket, etc. And when they can't find that player, it will always be Powell and Kleber to the rescue.

IMHO, it's just Kidd who hates him.
Nico and probably, Mark just went along with how Kidd felt.

Credit this Wood-drama to Kidd who mishandled the situation from the very start.
Wood isn't the cancer but Kidd is.
It's bad enough Kidd doesn't know how to coach, but his personality is just toxic.
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 07:16 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: https://twitter.com/boweman55/status/162...60359?s=46&t=EprC8FMzUUaU21a9XfXk2g

I am surprised people seem surprised by this. Mavs were a bad defensive team and they traded away their arguably best defender without doing anything to replace him. It was very predictable something like this will happen. Irving trade was a half measure. He is a better version of Brunson and Mavs gave SD and DFS for him. Mavs are still not better than last season. Options to improve the team with Wood likely walking in the summer are getting thiner and thiner. They should have traded his expiring contract while there was still a chance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
I have defended Kidd too long. I am done. It is not the results of the game as much as how Josh and Hardy are being handled now.  I don’t think they should take that much of a backseat to even Kyrie let alone to Holiday.  What are the Mavs trying to do here?  You can still contend and give more minutes to some young blood. Plus we need that 3rd creator here which both Josh and Hardy can give you. Learn to live with some growing pains. It can’t be the Luka and Irving show.
Like Reply
Say what you want about Kidd (I am definitely losing the will to defend him), the fact of the matter is, he took a terrible defense and somehow made it top 10 last season, and IMO our big situation last season after KP left, was not any better than it is right now (sans Maxi). But if you actually watched us, we played a swarming zone defense, that made it at last partially irrelevant how bad our bigs were defensively, because we just swarmed anyone who got the ball in the paint.

He was never good with X and O's and brought nothing remotely close to what Carlisle did to our play offensively, but he definitely brought something defensively. I expected him to be useless as a coach as far as helping this team maximise it's offensive potential, but I expected him to at least bring whatever defensive magic he brought last year.

You can put that down to DFS being gone and Maxi being out, but our defense was trash even when both were playing this season. Something has happened to where that defensive scheme that gave us such success last year is just non existent this year. To me it's that part that is puzzling, because it did make up quite a bit for his complete lack of game management or play calling. Obviously without that, he's pretty much useless as a coach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dundalis's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 07:30 PM)Dundalis Wrote: Something has happened to where that defensive scheme that gave us such success last year is just non existent this year.

This has happened to Kidd in both BKN and Milwaukee. Both times same story. Mavs somehow thought it will be different now.
Like Reply
I guess my confidence was unwarranted. How about that egg on my face. We’ll get this thing right eventually, even if it takes another offseason!
Like Reply
Kidd is terrible.  He is an awful in game coach and can’t draw something up to save his life.  His redeeming quality was supposed to be he was the elusive “players coach”

All he does is alienate half the roster…Coddle the other half….and throw them all under the bus when things aren’t going well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaxiThreeba's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...EAxWDBQImg&s=19

This is the guy that killed us.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 08:39 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...EAxWDBQImg&s=19

This is the guy that killed us.

And he is exactly what Mavs need, which was identified by many. Mavs just said Green will play more to replace DFS. Newsflash - Green played 15 minutes tonight.
Like Reply
"DP was over his rebounding average today with 6. He did great." - JKidd (probably)
Like Reply
Decision to not start Green is just another in a series of head scratching decisions. Was he not feeling well or something? He has a great season, he is one of rare assets Mavs have left, yet they decide to start a guy who was just cut by his team because he was so bad? What is the plan here? Mavs are not contenders this season, that is obvious. Holiday is not the long term solution, that is also obvious. Mavs should build for next season and a season after that. Always after short term success...
Like Reply
We really miss Dorian. I’d trade a first for him this summer. Everyone wanted Vanderbilt. We needed that one extra move

Wood actually looked better defensively at times this game. We have nothing to lose at this point. Tell him to go out there and earn some money. His offense doesn’t matter at this point. If he can rebound better than Powell and not miss too many switches then I’m on board with more minutes against slow bigs like AD

Green is too important to not play. Hopefully he’s not hurt and it was fouls/rest/tech that led him to ride the bench

Kidd is losing the team possibly. Bad for him. He spoke the truth though when he said the team needs to grow up. What we need most is someone to get in Luka’s face and tell him he needs to grow up. I don’t know if that’s Kidd

More crying about the refs, letting meaningless players like Schroeder bother him, taking possessions off and a general lack of focus. Someone has got to call out Luka
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
This team is just soft through and through. No one to protect the paint, no one to go up strong underneath the basket, no one willing to play a physical game, just complain to the refs. Guys that play with that edge, (Green) don't get opportunity for Justin freaking Holiday? Come on.
Like Reply
Vando locked Luka up. Mavs had no answer inside. They stopped making shots.

Kidd made a lot of puzzling moves.

This loss stings quite bad. Although I tend to agree with Kidd's sentiment that this team has to grow the f up and stop worrying about the refs.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 09:24 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: What we need most is someone to get in Luka’s face and tell him he needs to grow up. I don’t know if that’s Kidd

More crying about the refs, letting meaningless players like Schroeder bother him, taking possessions off and a general lack of focus. Someone has got to call out Luka

It's not Kidd, he would have done that already.

I can live with his low effort at times when he is shouldering the offensive load too much, but even with Kyrie in, he still isn't defending and it's not about lack of defensive chops. He is just lazy. Add to the fact that he complains too much, just compounds his defensive woes.

This is why I still love Dirk.
Dirk isn't good defensively, but he tries.
Luka's just a diva.

For the good of the Mavs, somebody has to point this out repeatedly: LUKA IS COSTING THE MAVS SOME GAMES FOR HIS CONSTANT COMPLAINTS.
Make a poster out of it, paint it, whatever.
Luka needs to know.
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 09:51 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: It's not Kidd, he would have done that already.

I can live with his low effort at times when he is shouldering the offensive load too much, but even with Kyrie in, he still isn't defending and it's not about lack of defensive chops. He is just lazy. Add to the fact that he complains too much, just compounds his defensive woes.

This is why I still love Dirk.
Dirk isn't good defensively, but he tries.
Luka's just a diva.

For the good of the Mavs, somebody has to point this out repeatedly: LUKA IS COSTING THE MAVS SOME GAMES FOR HIS CONSTANT COMPLAINTS.
Make a poster out of it, paint it, whatever.
Luka needs to know.

Problem is that the team offense just dies with Luka since the injury. Its not even the defense that is the major problem for Luka.

Luka on OffRtg 111.3 (which is bottom 5 offense in the league)
Luka off OffRtg 128.9   

Since being back from that heel injury and since Kyrie is on the team. The offense for the most part collapses without Kyrie, since Luka is clearly struggling right now. Wether his shape took a hit from the heel injury or adjusting life to a new rotation/Kyrie.

Overall the loss was prolly more on offense than defense.

109.9 DefRtg vs. Lakers is totally fine, which is roughly equiv to a top 3 defense in the league. Offensive output was really that lost the game at 106.9 ORtg, which is below the average of the worst team in the league. Mavs offense got clamped after the 1st quarter.
Like Reply
lakers are one of the top teams if fully healthy. we just lost by 3 and there ain't no point in whining despite the loss. luka may have flaws defensively but would you trade him for the no.1 pick this year?
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 10:08 PM)sefant Wrote: Problem is that the team offense just dies with Luka since the injury. Its not even the defense that is the major problem for Luka.

Luka on OffRtg 111.3 (which is bottom 5 offense in the league)
Luka off OffRtg 128.9   

Since being back from that heel injury and since Kyrie is on the team. The offense for the most part collapses without Kyrie, since Luka is clearly struggling right now. Wether his shape took a hit from the heel injury or adjusting life to a new rotation/Kyrie.

Overall the loss was prolly more on offense than defense.

109.9 DefRtg vs. Lakers is totally fine, which is roughly equiv to a top 3 defense in the league. Offensive output was really that lost the game at 106.9 ORtg, which is below the average of the worst team in the league. Mavs offense got clamped after the 1st quarter.

You have a point about the injury and it could have an effect in his defense too.
But let's not stray away from the topic that he is still complaining a lot and still doesn't exert enough effort on D.
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 09:24 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: We really miss Dorian. I’d trade a first for him this summer. Everyone wanted Vanderbilt. We needed that one extra move

Wood actually looked better defensively at times this game. We have nothing to lose at this point. Tell him to go out there and earn some money. His offense doesn’t matter at this point. If he can rebound better than Powell and not miss too many switches then I’m on board with more minutes against slow bigs like AD

Green is too important to not play. Hopefully he’s not hurt and it was fouls/rest/tech that led him to ride the bench

Kidd is losing the team possibly. Bad for him. He spoke the truth though when he said the team needs to grow up. What we need most is someone to get in Luka’s face and tell him he needs to grow up. I don’t know if that’s Kidd

Hell no to Dodo for a first. If Im trading a first, I'd want more than just a versatile defender who is clearly on the decline (people forgetting his defense had been BAD to start this season), who can't do anything other than hit corner 3's. Dorian is playing so horrifically bad for the Nets I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up getting cut. I'd take him back in that case, but we should have the trade assets to get a much better defensive piece this off season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dundalis's post:
  • LukaMVP
Like Reply
Sweeney the rest of the season can't be much worse than Kidd, can he?
Like Reply