Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(11-15-2023, 06:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is Theis better than Powell? I don’t think so.

FIBA version is better than JJJ Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply
(11-14-2023, 09:20 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Which 2-way wing would you target?  Also importantly, which teams do you think will be willing to trade good players during this season?

I think we can monitor the standings over the next two months to see which teams disappoint.  A few teams generally give up on their seasons in January and February, decide to tank and are willing to give up good players for assets. 

A few important caveats:  

Teams that don't own their own first round pick in 2024 will be less likely to sell off assets as they don't benefit from losing.

2024 looks like a relatively weak draft so the incentive to tank may be lower than normal.

Which teams do you think might become sellers in a few months?  Of those teams, which players do you think could help us?

I think the Bulls and Caruso are the best bet and best fit for our roster.  Caruso is probably the best defensive guard in the NBA.  Offensively, he is what we need-  low usage with solid efficiency.  I think he would be much more affordable than Anunoby and his contract is a bargain.  I believe our 2027 1st would be a reasonable offer.  I think our ideal trade would be Jaden Hardy and Richaun Holmes for Alex Caruso and Andre Drummond.  I really like Jaden Hardy's potential but it doesn't look like he's going to get consistent minutes here.  Caruso takes DJJ's starting spot and Drummond can be the situational backup center when we need rebounding and a big body.  That would give us a really nice 11-man rotation.  It would markedly improve our defense and rebounding.

I think he wasn't mentioned on the forum yet, but i would say Kyle Kuzma.

He is not elite, but he would add size and strenght at 3-4 position. He is on a great contract and it looks like Wizards aren't expecting much in return. Reading some Wizards forums, they are expecting mostly 1 FRP and maybe some seconds.

Holmes + Maxi + 2027 FRP and maybe some second round pick should get it done i think. 

He can't be traded until 14.1 2024 and that's also the time Nico say he will be waiting before making any moves.

Yes, i would prefer Siakam or Anuoby, but knowing Masai, he would rather lose them for nothing than trade for us and we don't have cap space to sign them in FA and most likely Anuoby will sign new contract there, will offers for Siakam will be to much for us.

Grant have a much worse contract then Kuzma and probably Portland would demand much more in return for him, then Wizards for Kuzma.

Don't dream about Clippers duo. Ballmer won't let any of them.

I think most of other teams will be monitoring Bulls situation and prices will be much higher than expected now, so i think if we can pull a trade for a Kuzma in that time it will be much better than trading for Bulls players.
Like Reply
(11-15-2023, 06:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is Theis better than Powell? I don’t think so.
I disagree.

DP may be the better screen setter and lob finisher, but other than that and overall I think Theis is the better player and that's not even a shot a DP.

However, an entirely different question would be, who is the better player for our team.

I'd argue there is hardly another bench big that could replace DP equally at this point.
Like Reply
Through 12 games, it's pretty clear that our best players are
1) Luka (duh)
2) Kyrie
3) Lively (yay!)
4) THJ
5) DJJ

See the problem? Many of us, me included, were clamoring as the season started, "Need to trade THJ for a useful rotation player!" Given Hardy's stagnation and Green's regression, we need his scoring. Not sure who's going to trade us an as-good scorer with better defense at the same money. Moreover, DJJ is slightly out-playing GW and crushingly out-playing Green. At this point, I'm not sure the Mavs can or do make any significant, rotation-shaking in-season moves. However, given the FA difficulties DJJ presents, I suppose they would have to find a way to generate cap room by jettisoning THJ, Maxi, and Holmes - if not also Green - to be able to re-sign him. However, those players are more likely to be traded with picks for our third star, so that we don't have cap room.

TLDR - don't get too cozy with DJJ. He's clearly Brunson 2.0. Kudos to the MBT (probably Kidd - blech! - most of all, tbqh) for recognizing the player he could be. Too bad they couldn't sign him to something more team-favorable.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Mavs2021, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(11-16-2023, 04:34 AM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: I think he wasn't mentioned on the forum yet, but i would say Kyle Kuzma.

He is not elite, but he would add size and strenght at 3-4 position. He is on a great contract and it looks like Wizards aren't expecting much in return. Reading some Wizards forums, they are expecting mostly 1 FRP and maybe some seconds.

Holmes + Maxi + 2027 FRP and maybe some second round pick should get it done i think. 

He can't be traded until 14.1 2024 and that's also the time Nico say he will be waiting before making any moves.

Yes, i would prefer Siakam or Anuoby, but knowing Masai, he would rather lose them for nothing than trade for us and we don't have cap space to sign them in FA and most likely Anuoby will sign new contract there, will offers for Siakam will be to much for us.

Grant have a much worse contract then Kuzma and probably Portland would demand much more in return for him, then Wizards for Kuzma.

I think most of other teams will be monitoring Bulls situation and prices will be much higher than expected now, so i think if we can pull a trade for a Kuzma in that time it will be much better than trading for Bulls players.

I'm not interested in paying a first for Kuzma, and that trade leaves us desperately thin on bigs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(11-16-2023, 04:34 AM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: I think he wasn't mentioned on the forum yet, but i would say Kyle Kuzma.

Kuzma a fairly talented player and could help a lot of teams.  I think he wouldn't fit well with this Mavericks' roster though.  He would be an excellent bench scorer for many good teams.  He can handle the bal for a bigger guy and can create his own shot.  On the Mavs though, he wouldn't work well paired with Luka and Kyrie.  He is a below-average 3-point shooter.  Defensively, he's also not very good.  We already have an excellent 6th-man with THJ.  Hardy is our developmental bench scorer.  Kuzma just isn't needed here.  I think we would be unwise to trade assets for him right now.  A team like the Grizzlies or the Bucks might make more sense for Kuzma.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
NBACentral
@TheDunkCentral
(https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral)The Sixers are the favorites to land Alex Caruso, per
@BovadaOfficial (https://twitter.com/BovadaOfficial)

- Philadelphia 76ers: +250
- Los Angeles Lakers: +300
- Milwaukee Bucks: +450
- Golden State Warriors: +450
- Dallas Mavericks: +650
- Los Angeles Clippers: +650
- Atlanta Hawks: +650
- Denver Nuggets: +800
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-16-2023, 10:36 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: TLDR - don't get too cozy with DJJ. He's clearly Brunson 2.0. Kudos to the MBT (probably Kidd - blech! - most of all, tbqh) for recognizing the player he could be. Too bad they couldn't sign him to something more team-favorable.

I’ve mentioned before that absent a cost cutting trade, we’ll have the TP-MLE as the most likely way to retain him.  Will that be enough?  It is $5.25mm if I remember correctly.  One thing on our side, 9 teams project to be over the second apron right now.  So, almost 1/3 of the league won’t be in position to do even the TP-MLE.

One thing I hope we don’t do is later re-write history in such a way that the one year deal is somehow a failing on the part of Nico.  DJJ was making $9mm a year not that long ago.  Even his last contract with Chicago was above the minimum.  So, there was no real advantage to him signing a multi-year at the Vet Min.  A one year was absolutely the right move for him.
[-] The following 6 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, MFFL
Like Reply
https://sports.yahoo.com/how-the-bulls-s...ccounter=1

Quote:Fischer:
LaVine and his representation hold several preferred landing spots, such as the Los Angeles Lakers, Miami Heat and Philadelphia 76ers, league sources told Yahoo Sports, and each team has registered some level of interest in the Bulls guard. LaVine also has an eye on joining the San Antonio Spurs, sources said, in order to pair with rookie sensation Victor Wembanyama and reunite with head coach Gregg Popovich, who oversaw the 2020 Team USA outfit that LaVine helped win a gold medal in Tokyo. There are several other contending situations LaVine would welcome joining, sources said, one being Sacramento. The Kings signed LaVine to an offer sheet during his restricted free agency in 2018, albeit before this present front office regime took the reins in Northern California.

Kings and Spurs are wildcards I did not expect to join the Lavine sweepstakes.

Further down Fischer also mentions Caruso's supposed pricetag:

Quote:The Bulls have already required multiple first-round picks for the 29-year-old veteran when opposing teams have asked about Caruso’s availability. If his number of suitors were to indeed match the breadth of teams that checked with Portland about landing Jrue Holiday this fall, it’s not unreasonable to expect Caruso to fetch the Bulls a similar price point of draft capital, as Holiday netted the Blazers both a 2024 and 2029 first-round pick.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Spurs need a PG bad. Maybe Sochan will become a decent PG eventually but that experiment is killing them right now and might hurt Wembys development.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(11-18-2023, 10:49 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Spurs need a PG bad. Maybe Sochan will become a decent PG eventually but that experiment is killing them right now and might hurt Wembys development.

They can have Kyrie and filler for Sochan and Vassell.
Like Reply
What do you think of Avdija? He seems to have taken a step forward in his game (basically hitting the 3) and projects himself as a high-level role player, he is a very good defender...what would be needed?Green+Hardy?an FRP ?
Like Reply
(11-18-2023, 05:08 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: They can have Kyrie and filler for Sochan and Vassell.

Kyrie so undervalued on this board.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Kyrie for Sochan and Vassell is in no way underrating Kyrie.
Like Reply

I don't understand why people like Kyle Kuzma. Not only is he hot garbage defensively (which disqualifies him immediately from the 2 way wing list), he's the definition of pure volume scorer. Never had a TS above 55% in his career. He's basically a taller THJ with more skill but worse shooting.
[-] The following 7 users Like Dundalis's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, Ghost of Podkolzin, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply

It will take the 27FRP for some to take on Holmes.  So, you're proposing Maxi for Kuzma.  Everyone's fascination with Grant is a headscratcher.  Kuzma is a much better perimeter defender and rebounder, same scorer, at a fraction of the cost.
Like Reply
(11-20-2023, 11:07 AM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: It will take the 27FRP for some to take on Holmes.  So, you're proposing Maxi for Kuzma.  Everyone's fascination with Grant is a headscratcher.  Kuzma is a much better perimeter defender and rebounder, same scorer, at a fraction of the cost.

When you speak of perimeter defenders...do you mean guys that contest 3s or guys that prevent blow by's?  Obviously you want both...but I am asking if Mavs prefer one over the other?

Someone might have already posted Kuzma advanced defensive stats and they are trash...but I remember hearing he was turning a corner on defense right before Lebron traded him from LA.

I know he is tall and long and decent athlete...I have seen him block a few threes with his length...just dont know what Mavs are looking for and/or if Kuzma ever turned the defensive corner or not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
My radical idea of the day:

[Image: yvP39gEjyocAAAAASUVORK5CYII.png?ex=656e1...eight=1016]

Would have to wait until January 15th for it to be legal.

Quick thoughts behind this.
Pushes Powell all the way to the end of the bench. We have 48 mins of proper center play and can still play 5 out.
We get off of Holmes.
Kyrie craziness is gone and replaced with another all-star who is 3 years younger.
LAL provides all the picks to the Bulls
Mavs keep their 2027 first
Like Reply
Seems like Austin Reeves is "in" in LA.

Is he not a fan favorite that produces?

I get that LeBron is fighting Time and cant have too much longer and that Kyrie is better than Reeves...my question is if this is a no brainer deal for LA(Kyrie for Reeves) or if LA would pause at taking an older player for a younger player?

Is Chicago lacking SG's? Is Rui not getting enough playing time to warrant keeping him? Letting two youngins go(RUI and Reeves) just to get off of Russel and acquire Kyrie?

Genuinely curious if this is a no-brainer or a pauser for LA. I mean...Mavs giving up a bonafide scorer in THJ, youngin with potential in Green, certified baller in Kyrie and a backup center in Holmes.

It all seems pretty fair...but Im curious if LA wants to let Reeves go for getting older and if Mavs want injury prone THJ replacement in Lavine.
Like Reply
(11-20-2023, 11:43 AM)youzigizag Wrote: When you speak of perimeter defenders...do you mean guys that contest 3s or guys that prevent blow by's?  Obviously you want both...but I am asking if Mavs prefer one over the other?

Someone might have already posted Kuzma advanced defensive stats and they are trash...but I remember hearing he was turning a corner on defense right before Lebron traded him from LA.

I know he is tall and long and decent athlete...I have seen him block a few threes with his length...just dont know what Mavs are looking for and/or if Kuzma ever turned the defensive corner or not.

Kuzma is not Jrue, but he's not a total matador.  Last year he had a dfg%3pt of 32.7 (which is exceptional...  league average is 37).  Grant's was 38.6.

In today's NBA I would rather a wing defender contest 3s over playing off to prevent blow-by's.
Like Reply