Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Booker Likes NYK? Vogel Out? Suns Imploding?
Are you kidding? Wemby would fetch Giddey or Chet, both Jalen& Jaylin Williams, 5 first round picks and a couple of swaps from OKC. And the other team still maybe says no.
[-] The following 3 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, Nowitzki Way, RasheedsBigWhiteSpot
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 03:56 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Are you kidding? Wemby would fetch Giddey or Chet, both Jalen& Jaylin Williams, 5 first round picks and a couple of swaps from OKC. And the other team still maybe says no.
If we said no to that haul, we’re the dumb ones.
Like Reply
Yes, I’m not saying I would or wouldn’t do it. I just think that it would take a king’s ransom to trade for Wemby. OKC may be the only team with the assets to pull it off. Interested to see if they push their chips in.
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 03:56 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Are you kidding? Wemby would fetch Giddey or Chet, both Jalen& Jaylin Williams, 5 first round picks and a couple of swaps from OKC. And the other team still maybe says no.

IGT is my buddy, but I don't know what's crazier: how misguidedly cheap he is on Wemby's value or how misguidedly steep he is on Claxton/Gafford's?  Most days I think he'd deal Claxton/Gafford straight up for VW, but only if Wemby's team threw in ALLZZZZZZZZ DA 2nds.
[-] The following 2 users Like RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • F Gump, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 04:13 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: IGT is my buddy, but I don't know what's crazier: how misguidedly cheap he is on Wemby's value or how misguidedly steep he is on Claxton/Gafford's?  Most days I think he'd deal Claxton/Gafford straight up for VW, but only if Wemby's team threw in ALLZZZZZZZZ DA 2nds.
I really think he’s gonna come straight out of the Zion playbook of being injured more than playing. If teams are willing to go that all out on him, there’s no reason to not capitalize on it. In no way do I think an established generational type package (Luka/Giannis/Jokic) is what he should get. Teams get crippled from those type deals. 

Bridges was more of the value out of the Nets deal, but Claxton is young and an all defensive C (maybe future DPotY even), add in the fact that I think very little of McGee, THJ and Bertans, and for whatever reason I have s weird obsession with ONeal on top of my obsession with getting our own picks back and there you have the thought behind that trade. After that trade the Nets would be left with SD, DFS Wemby, #22 and ghe picks from the Suns trade. Not a ton to build off of.

My Gafford obsession is in how perfectly fit to play the Zubac role in this new age of C play in the NBA. Play 25-30 mins throughout the season and 1-2 round then be a token starter. I think Hartenstein is another of those types. That trade I previously proposed was more about what I think Avdija will be when he escapes the pit that is Washington.

Edit: Also, we don’t trade for seconds, we have a weird need to add a second to every trade!
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 02:29 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Scenario: I got on tankathon to get a draft order for when the Mavs get the #1 pick. It went: Dal-SA-Por-Det-Hou-Cha-Orl-Ind-Was-Uta-Orl-OKC-Tor-NO. My mind has me thinking about getting out of the horrible mess we’re in asset-wise. This 1 turn of events, if handled properly could very easily turn our fortunes in that sense. 

I'm not really sure you're really valuing the number 1 pick to it's true extent.

This is a Lebron level pick, at least the hype is there.

We're trading the opportunity to pick a guy like for Toppin, ONeal, DFS, WCJ, and 2 future firsts.

Wemby is worth more than that.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 02:29 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Scenario: I got on tankathon to get a draft order for when the Mavs get the #1 pick. It went: Dal-SA-Por-Det-Hou-Cha-Orl-Ind-Was-Uta-Orl-OKC-Tor-NO. My mind has me thinking about getting out of the horrible mess we’re in asset-wise. This 1 turn of events, if handled properly could very easily turn our fortunes in that sense. 

Three team trade:

Det gets #1 and Bullock

Orl gets #4, Bertans and Duren

Dal gets #7, Stewart and future FRP from Det, WCJ and a future FRP from Orl

Dallas then trades #7 for #21 and 22 and a swap of Oneal and DFS for THJ and McGee. We also get our pick back.

Then trade #21 and 22 for Toppin and our pick back

Kyrie/Green/Luka/Toppin/WCJ
Hardy/ONeal/DFS/Stewart

All our picks back +1 from Det and 1 from Orl. So 6 future picks in total that can be traded if needs be.

Aaaaand we’re back! Depth, youth, vets, leadership, picks.

Our front office isn't creative or forward thinking enough to pull off anything like this.

(04-19-2023, 04:31 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I really think he’s gonna come straight out of the Zion playbook of being injured more than playing.

Does he have any actual injury history or are you just wary of his height and body type?
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 05:47 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'm not really sure you're really valuing the number 1 pick to it's true extent.

This is a Lebron level pick, at least the hype is there.

We're trading the opportunity to pick a guy like for Toppin, ONeal, DFS, WCJ, and 2 future firsts.

Wemby is worth more than that.
(You forgot Stewart) Do you think that’s less than your proposed Markannen,  Kessler and #10? 

I keep saying, if he’s worth more than that, why would anyone in our situation not trade the pick? An unknown, hyped generational talent vs young great talent and picks. We already have a generational talent just need to get fitting pieces around him. With the assets to trade out what isn’t working.
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 05:49 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Our front office isn't creative or forward thinking enough to pull off anything like this.

Does he have any actual injury history or are you just wary of his height and body type?
No history for the player, but add to his body type that, IF he’s gonna become generational he’s gonna have to continue to drive the ball like he does. Small guys have a hard time staying healthy driving the lane in the NBA. What happens when a 7’5” skinny frame dude gets slightly bumped or lands awkwardly. These defenders in the NBA make life miserable for those guys. Add the history of foot problems for guys that size and he’s the very recipe for disaster.
Like Reply
That bump doesn’t land hip to hip like other guys in the NBA, it lands hip to thigh. So much easier to get injured. Landing is at best an awkward proposition in the NBA, all it takes is for a foot to be out of place and it isn’t gonna be a twisted ankle.
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 09:04 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Any ideas for who we should target for MLE? McDaniels seems like best case scenario. Jaxson Hayes is a guy to look at. That type of player, a guy who was behind others on the depth chart who could blossom into something real. 

We can’t miss this year on the MLE. They must be a 3-4-5 rotation player

Hayes should definitely be a target for the TPMLE. He actually played some really solid minutes in NO's play in matchup vs OKC. Not sure why they suddenly played him more minutes that game. There were reports of some deal based around Wood & Hayes at this past TDL so there's probably some interest from the Mavs there. Bench big with the potential to become the future starter.
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 07:55 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Hayes should definitely be a target for the TPMLE. He actually played some really solid minutes in NO's play in matchup vs OKC. Not sure why they suddenly played him more minutes that game. There were reports of some deal based around Wood & Hayes at this past TDL so there's probably some interest from the Mavs there. Bench big with the potential to become the future starter.

I think Hayes is a pretty good name.  Duffy client.  The Wood deal was probably NO unloading Graham with Hayes as the carrot.  Instead, NO paid San Antonio a bunch of seconds to take Graham for expiring Josh Richardson.  In hindsight, it would be nice to have the Bird rights to Hayes, but an extra $12mm in salary from Graham would have made our cap situation even more challenging.

Hayes would be more of a Center-By-Committee type than a clear cut 30 minute a night starter.  It doesn’t necessarily mean he wouldn’t start here.  He could if we spent our assets on a two position player like Draymond who can play alongside Hayes and instead of Hayes.  The question will be whether NO will make the QO and keep him restricted.  The QO is very similar to the TP MLE.  When you count the Pelican’s pick, they sit right on the tax line.  They can drop $5mm below by letting Garrett Temple’s NG go.  The QO for Hayes and the TP MLE would take them $9mm over the tax and over the first apron.  Probably smarter to pick the QO or the TP MLE, but not both.  If they wanted to pay him, they probably wouldn’t have offered him around the league at the TDL.  

If Dallas could get him for the TP MLE instead of trading Wood for Hayes and Graham, passing on the deal would look pretty smart.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 07:55 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Hayes should definitely be a target for the TPMLE. He actually played some really solid minutes in NO's play in matchup vs OKC. Not sure why they suddenly played him more minutes that game. There were reports of some deal based around Wood & Hayes at this past TDL so there's probably some interest from the Mavs there. Bench big with the potential to become the future starter.

More domestic violence charges. Great fit...
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Jakeospikez
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 10:02 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think Hayes is a pretty good name.  Duffy client.  The Wood deal was probably NO unloading Graham with Hayes as the carrot.  Instead, NO paid San Antonio a bunch of seconds to take Graham for expiring Josh Richardson.  In hindsight, it would be nice to have the Bird rights to Hayes, but an extra $12mm in salary from Graham would have made our cap situation even more challenging.

Hayes would be more of a Center-By-Committee type than a clear cut 30 minute a night starter.  It doesn’t necessarily mean he wouldn’t start here.  He could if we spent our assets on a two position player like Draymond who can play alongside Hayes and instead of Hayes.  The question will be whether NO will make the QO and keep him restricted.  The QO is very similar to the TP MLE.  When you count the Pelican’s pick, they sit right on the tax line.  They can drop $5mm below by letting Garrett Temple’s NG go.  The QO for Hayes and the TP MLE would take them $9mm over the tax and over the first apron.  Probably smarter to pick the QO or the TP MLE, but not both.  If they wanted to pay him, they probably wouldn’t have offered him around the league at the TDL.  

If Dallas could get him for the TP MLE instead of trading Wood for Hayes and Graham, passing on the deal would look pretty smart.

Think Dallas wanted a 2024 1st and NO didn't give it up.

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/po...stian-wood

Getting him for the TPMLE is decent though. Cheap reclamation project.

Yea domestic violence charges and all that but the Mavs are definitely in the beggars can't be choosers camp right now. Coffers are bare, take what they can get. I figure since they already tried to trade for him if that article is true, they're ok with his off the court stuff.
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 10:43 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Think Dallas wanted a 2024 1st and NO didn't give it up.

Getting him for the TPMLE is decent though. Cheap reclamation project.
I like Wood, but given the Mavs would lose him for nothing (and didn't even used him properly when he was here specially after the TDL), the Mavs should have pulled the trigger without a first. A second round pick would have been fine. No pick would have been good too.

(04-19-2023, 10:43 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Yea domestic violence charges and all that but the Mavs are definitely in the beggars can't be choosers camp right now. Coffers are bare, take what they can get. I figure since they already tried to trade for him if that article is true, they're ok with his off the court stuff.

JKidd had off court issues yeah, but his issues are also on-court.
He's just like the rest of us, he's only watching the games.

JKidds issues would dwarf any issue Hayes is capable of.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
Unfortunately, that is just a Bleacher Report trade idea fellas. I was ready to knock the "I know for sure that there were no trade offers for Wood because I have all 30 teams wire tapped" crowd down a few pegs.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Yea my bad, it was a fabricated trade. Maybe there isn't any interest then. Still would be a good TPMLE acquisition if they're cool with the charges imo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jakeospikez's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 05:49 PM)sterlingmallory Wrote: Our front office isn't creative or forward thinking enough to pull off anything like this.

It's not about getting creative with these trade proposals. It's all about if other teams will listen or hang up the phone. Like I said before, most teams aren't willing to take on these overpaid marginal players that Dallas seems to be stuck with like THJ, Bertans, McGee, etc..without attachments that Dallas doesn't have in the form of picks. This is not going to be easy trying to improve this team. You have to have willing participants to take on negative value players.
Like Reply
One thing I’m looking at as well is the UFA market. By most accounts this is a deep draft. Two teams had their 2nds taken away, so there will only be 58 drafted players. Also, there will be a 3rd two-way player allowed on teams next year. Before anyone scoffs, Caruso and Dort were both two-way players. And let’s not forget that Maxi and Dorian were both undrafted FA’s. 

This is the year to bring in some guys. Miami and Golden State do it all the time. This avenue should be taken seriously
Like Reply
(04-19-2023, 10:43 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Think Dallas wanted a 2024 1st and NO didn't give it up.

That's from a month after the TDL.  Trade idea, not rumor.  It is kind of laughable that Dallas would get a pick, Hayes and Marshall for Wood.

You can see from what NO actually did that the goal was to move on from Graham and they were willing to pay for it.  If there was a deal to be had with NO, it would have involved Graham for an expiring with some kind of payment (Hayes) coming to Dallas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply