Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Stein-Ingram Trade Inevitable| LAL Want Lebron Back On Any Terms
(07-01-2023, 12:23 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: The money these teams are doling out is insane. Desmond Bane is now the highest-paid Grizzly at 5yrs/207. which trumps their franchise player Ja Morant 5/193. F V V 3/130 If my math is right, that's 43 mil per.  And he was undrafted! Tyrese Haliburton 5/260, Jerami Grant, 5/160.  Kyrie's 3/126 is a bargain compared to those.  The owners have to be making bank as well to pay out these deals.

Seems like the new CBA will hit those not-quite-stars hardest. Almost max money but a lot less production.

But several of these deals make me think that some front offices haven’t adjusted yet.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 12:21 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: What’s Bostons cap/tax situation?

On Reddit, I’m seeing Boston fans say that if a team just offers Grant Williams the MLE, they probably match.

We can’t offer more.  Boston wouldn’t be interested in a sign and trade for more money either right? Since they’d be letting him go because $16-18 million AAV is not doable in their current situation.

Already over the first apron. Even without Grant Williams. Full MLE or more for Williams and they are over the second apron.
Stevens stated that they have the green light for luxury tax spendings but would do it responsibly. Whatever that means.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Jake Fischer
@JakeLFischer
·
1h
Have heard pretty consistently that the Sixers have no interest in putting Tyrese Maxey in any trade conversations, including a potential pursuit for Damian Lillard. Philadelphia, and other teams, are of the belief the Miami Heat are Lillard's preferred destination.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 12:21 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: What’s Bostons cap/tax situation?

On Reddit, I’m seeing Boston fans say that if a team just offers Grant Williams the MLE, they probably match.

We can’t offer more.  Boston wouldn’t be interested in a sign and trade for more money either right? Since they’d be letting him go because $16-18 million AAV is not doable in their current situation.

Personally, I don’t think they match.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 12:21 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: So, how do we come away with Jerami Grant, Thybulle, and a decent place-holder starting center (Bamba? Zubac? Thies? We're talking center by committee in any event)? Consolation prize is the other Grant and those other two players.

I feel like you're going to be bigtime disappointed if you're aiming that high.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 12:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Personally, I don’t think they match.

So how is the official procedure for restricted free agents - you can sign them on the 6th at the earliest, then the previous team has 24 hours to match the offer?
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 08:46 AM)omahen Wrote: This is a solid move for Lakers. Still upside and they got him for vet min.

As I mentioned earlier when you said their new additions weren't better than the outgoing ones.  I disagree. They're having one of the best FAgency periods of any team this year. The key is keeping their 2 main horses healthy which will be a challenge no doubt.
Like Reply
If there was interest in Bamba, seems like an easy sell giving the state of our rotation. We'll give you a 1-year minimum deal and you'll have all the opportunity in the world to contribute and start rehabbing your career.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 12:46 PM)cow Wrote: If there was interest in Bamba, seems like an easy sell giving the state of our rotation.  We'll give you a 1-year minimum deal and you'll have all the opportunity in the world to contribute and start rehabbing your career.

Also says we have too many centers, so we can´t sign a 10/8 with 2 blocks and 40% 3 pt shooting, because we need to prioritize Powell and McGee. Cry

Seems kind of the same old, same old MBT.

If Bamba wants to come here for half the MLE, you do it. If the only outcome is that you have to stretch-waive 35 year old Taiwanese rec league center JaVale McGee and soon to be 32 year old Dwight Powell, then why are we even having a team.

Cuban will never learn. Nuggets starting five was 27.2 years old. You need athletes in this league.

McGee 35
Powell 32
Curry 32
Bullock 32
Irving 31
THJ 31
Kleber 31
Holmes 30

That´s over half the roster, that will be 30 or over, when the new season starts. You know what also helps Luka getting out of Dallas, a roster full of guys telling about the good old days with flip phones and dial-up modems. Big Grin

I know, I know there is still time, but this tweet by Stein is classic Mavs behaviour. Can´t have Markkanen, cause we have to extend Powell  a year early (but not Brunson). Now can´t have Bamba, cause they have to keep the powder dry for Powell again?

I´m back. Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 12:46 PM)cow Wrote: If there was interest in Bamba, seems like an easy sell giving the state of our rotation.  We'll give you a 1-year minimum deal and you'll have all the opportunity in the world to contribute and start rehabbing your career.

How? We alfready have our back-up center, that should get as much minutes as possbile to develop. Are you offering Bamba a starting job?
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:05 PM)omahen Wrote: How? We alfready have our back-up center, that should get as much minutes as possbile to develop. Are you offering Bamba a starting job?

I'm offering Bamba a chance to earn minutes against McGee (who the Mavs don't want), Holmes (who the Mavs have no idea what he is), Powell (who they don't want to start), Lively (who I hope starts but is a rookie) and Maxi (who's body can't hold up to starters minutes).  Center is going to be a rotation.  There is all the opportunity in the world for someone to steal minutes away from our current rotation.

I'm dubious of Bamba in general, but if he's cheap and the MBT have interest, there is an upside play.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:10 PM)cow Wrote: I'm offering Bamba a chance to earn minutes against McGee (who the Mavs don't want), Holmes (who the Mavs have no idea what he is), Powell (who they don't want to start), Lively (who I hope starts but is a rookie) and Maxi (who's body can't hold up to starters minutes).  Center is going to be a rotation.  There is all the opportunity in the world for someone to steal minutes away from our current rotation.

Exactly. Bamba might not work out, or MAYBE it does make a difference to a 25 year old whether Luka or MCW is throwing the lob passes. EDIT: and unless I´m having a brain fart, I seem to remember MCW throwing about the worst lob passes I have ever seen.

Right now all the consequences I see is no Powell and no McGee.
Like Reply
Stein mentioned on his radio show that Dallas would likely need to eliminate 2 centers for a FA center to be interested in signing here. With Lively as the future and Holmes/McGee/Powell (probably) around, there's just not any guarantee of minutes. That's probably why Drummond stayed in Chicago.
[-] The following 3 users Like Tyler's post:
  • F Gump, omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 12:13 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’ve never been as high on Nurkic as some in this community, but I wonder what kind of deal you could get on him right about now?

Marc Stein (on radio today) said the Mavs have no interest in Nurkic because of (a) contract and (b) not much of a defender.
[-] The following 6 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, khaled1987, KillerLeft, omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Memphis made a sneaky good signing of Derrick Rose, in lieu of Ja's situation and the rest of their young roster. He and Marcus Smart will be the adults in the room for experience and guidance.
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 01:10 PM)cow Wrote: I'm offering Bamba a chance to earn minutes against McGee (who the Mavs don't want), Holmes (who the Mavs have no idea what he is), Powell (who they don't want to start), Lively (who I hope starts but is a rookie) and Maxi (who's body can't hold up to starters minutes).  Center is going to be a rotation.  There is all the opportunity in the world for someone to steal minutes away from our current rotation.

I'm dubious of Bamba in general, but if he's cheap and the MBT have interest, there is an upside play.

Per Stein, the Mavs are not interested in Bamba (or Nurkic).
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply

Ok. Personally, I don't want Bamba as our starting center. And we have a back-up. That is why I am not sure it makes sense to sign him.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
All we have is back-ups. Smile

(07-01-2023, 01:16 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Per Stein, the Mavs are not interested in Bamba (or Nurkic).

I wonder if they are interested in anyone obtainable.  That list seems pretty short.  Zubac?
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Haha somebody made a great point in Discord about the Heat draft pick. These guys are proper douchebags. They could have drafted Whitmore for the Blazers rebuild. Instead they took about the oldest player they could find.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
July 1
1:48 p.m. ET: The Los Angeles Lakers have agreed to re-sign guard D'Angelo Russell to a two-year, $37 million deal, Austin Brown and Aaron Mintz along with Antonio Russell told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The second year is a player option. Russell, who was drafted by the Lakers with the second overall pick in 2015, re-joined the team in a midseason trade from the Minnesota Timberwolves this past season. He filled in as the Lakers' starting point guard on their run to the Western Conference Finals.

1:24 p.m. ET: The Miami Heat have signed former Denver Nuggets center Thomas Bryant to a two-year $5.4 million deal, is agents Mark Bartelstein and Zach Kurtin told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The second year is a player option.
Like Reply