Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyout Market 2023: Nerlens 10-day to Nets | Dragic to MIL
I think this board is giving Johnson way too much thought because of his draft position. Sure, he's younger, but he's been in the league since 2015, so not exactly an unknown commodity, and he's been unceremoniously dumped by 5 teams in the last 5 seasons.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kidnova's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 06:12 PM)Kidnova Wrote: I think this board is giving Johnson way too much thought because of his draft position. Sure, he's younger, but he's been in the league since 2015, so not exactly an unknown commodity, and he's been unceremoniously dumped by 5 teams in the last 5 seasons.
What was his draft position? Don’t know, don’t care. He has the size we need more than anything on this team and is known as a good defender. Rumor has it teams go in on him thinking he’s got more on offense than he is capable of. Don’t go in on him thinking that and you’re golden!
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 06:22 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: What was his draft position? Don’t know, don’t care. He has the size we need more than anything on this team and is known as a good defender. Rumor has it teams go in on him thinking he’s got more on offense than he is capable of. Don’t go in on him thinking that and you’re golden!

I don't know much about him, but if he was such a great defender he would have stuck somewhere.  I'm just saying that the league seems to have a lesser opinion of his talents.

Edited out the first part of my original comment questioning your golden comment, as it took me a minute to understand what you were saying.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 06:30 PM)Kidnova Wrote: I don't know much about him, but if he was such a great defender he would have stuck somewhere.  I'm just saying that the league seems to have a lesser opinion of his talents.

Edited out the first part of my original comment questioning your golden comment, as it took me a minute to understand what you were saying.
Ya, I think if a team looks at him in the light that he is a high draft pick (I looked it up, 8th overall in 2015), they’re gonna be disappointed. If we look at him in the sense that we don’t have to play Pinson out of position as a 4, it starts to look a bit better.
Like Reply
Tim MacMahon
@espn_macmahon
5h

Justin Holiday was the top player on the Mavs’ potential buyout list. Fills a need for a 3-and-D wing off the bench.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 06:50 PM)MFFL Wrote: Tim MacMahon
@espn_macmahon
5h

Justin Holiday was the top player on the Mavs’ potential buyout list. Fills a need for a 3-and-D wing off the bench.

This I find to be the most surprising, especially given all the smoke about Ross joining the Mavs.

Either 1) The Mavs are saving face and are trying to say "hey we really got the guy we wanted all along" in order to save some embarrassment of getting spurned yet again.

or

2) All the smoke of TRoss was coming from his agent/himself wanting to go to the Mavs, and it was the Mavs that turned him down. Thus Ross went ahead and signed with the Suns.

I lean more towards scenario 1. But it is interesting to think about the Mavs being the ones turning down Ross instead of the opposite. 

Another interesting tidbit. Should a guy like Nerlens gets bought out, do the Mavs make a move? Minutes are tight, but there was legit interest there earlier in the season. I can't see them saying no, especially given in the playoffs we need Maxi insurance. 

Definitely interested to see where this goes or if the Mavs are set for the playoffs.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 06:12 PM)Kidnova Wrote: I think this board is giving Johnson way too much thought because of his draft position. Sure, he's younger, but he's been in the league since 2015, so not exactly an unknown commodity, and he's been unceremoniously dumped by 5 teams in the last 5 seasons.

I’m giving him too much thought because. . .  Well, I’m not giving him much thought at all. I don’t think any of these buyout candidates are any good. Certainly not Holiday. For a defensive player, his defensive numbers look pretty bleak to me.  Johnson is just better as a flyer. I hope none of these guys are needed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 07:35 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I’m giving him too much thought because. . .  Well, I’m not giving him much thought at all. I don’t think any of these buyout candidates are any good. Certainly not Holiday. For a defensive player, his defensive numbers look pretty bleak to me.  Johnson is just better as a flyer. I hope none of these guys are needed.
I hope whoever we get (we haven’t gotten Holiday yet), they’re a better option than putting Pinson out there for as long as we did last game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
just keep an eye on players released by tanking teams. players that are serviceable and can help their teams are exactly NOT the ones wanted by tanking teams. spurs rockets utah and maybe others as well.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 07:35 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I’m giving him too much thought because. . .  Well, I’m not giving him much thought at all. I don’t think any of these buyout candidates are any good. Certainly not Holiday. For a defensive player, his defensive numbers look pretty bleak to me.  Johnson is just better as a flyer. I hope none of these guys are needed.

He has been a good defender before. I know your defensive metrics can be supressed playing for a bad defensive teams, not to mention playing for a losing team often has vet type players going through the motions, vs playing for a potential contender, can re-energise guys (I mean see the difference in McGee just from getting Kyrie on board). If he's the guy we get, I guess you hope that could take place and he reverts to how he was performing when he was on the Pacers two seasons back.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 06:50 PM)MFFL Wrote: Tim MacMahon
@espn_macmahon
5h

McMahon just enjoys embarrassing Cuban. Sometimes it´s okay just to say nothing at all.

This is like hitting on the other girl, telling her that she was always your favourite, after you just hit on her friend right in front of her. Undecided
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1625312248750084096
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 09:07 PM)Tyler Wrote: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1625312248750084096

He'll probably be our starting center shortly..lol
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 09:09 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: He'll probably be our starting center shortly..lol

LOL. I thought you were joking.

There must be some sort of retirement bonus for owners, whenever a player ends his (NBA) playing career with a team. That´s now McGee, Holiday, Aldridge, Campazzo, Morris, Dorsey already. Mavs signed/acquired six players that will play their last professional (NBA) game with them. And there is a chance the same is true for Bertans, Silva, Wright and Pinson. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
Sort of weird.  Hopefully just a check in or favor.  Wasn’t he done last year?  If the Mavs think they need a center, they could do better than one who can’t move any longer.  Why did they not look for one at the trade deadline then?
Like Reply
Crazy stuff
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 10:14 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Sort of weird.  Hopefully just a check in or favor.  Wasn’t he done last year?  If the Mavs think they need a center, they could do better than one who can’t move any longer.  Why did they not look for one at the trade deadline then?

Trying to rationalize this, I think the Mavs are thinking they need Aldridge not as a center, but as a PF. Play him with Wood or Maxi and have him literally sit outside the paint at all times.

On defense, Wood and Maxi will take the wing, and Aldridge will take whatever slow footed center that sits in the paint. 

They'd need to get rid of Frank to sign him which is odd given that they're desperate for perimeter D. Perhaps they're just doing due diligence.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 09:50 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: LOL. I thought you were joking.

There must be some sort of retirement bonus for owners, whenever a player ends his (NBA) playing career with a team. That´s now McGee, Holiday, Aldridge, Campazzo, Morris, Dorsey already. Mavs signed/acquired six players that will play their last professional (NBA) game with them. And there is a chance the same is true for Bertans, Silva, Wright and Pinson. Big Grin

Don't forget Kemba...
Like Reply
dude ain't sniffing meaningful time with maxi back, but he would still be an upgrade over powell, for which alone it is worth a try. LMA got shooting range and he reads the game well. he ain't got much to provide in D but still a worthwhile signing.
Like Reply
(02-14-2023, 01:11 AM)LukaMVP Wrote: dude ain't sniffing meaningful time with maxi back, but he would still be an upgrade over powell, for which alone it is worth a try. LMA got shooting range and he reads the game well. he ain't got much to provide in D but still a worthwhile signing.
If we need more offense with less than defense, just play Wood more!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply