Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyout Market 2023: Nerlens 10-day to Nets | Dragic to MIL
(02-10-2023, 10:21 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Lots of guys to Phoenix

Does PHX even have roster spots? 

I think they have 2 at most? Unless they are going to waive some guys.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
No big wing defenders available, obviously. So best available: Burks (if he’s available by far the best option) Bev, Saric, Barton.

Bev is the only one we are certain will be bought out, right? All are vets with playoff experience, good injury fill-ins. Not sure we could offer many minutes for Saric. Good basketball player though. Prefer him to Morris I think. Not sure how well he’s moving these days.

Burks and Bev and Barton could be good for 10-20 minutes per night off the bench. Would LOVE to have an extra ball handler off the bench for the playoff stretch. Hardy won’t be ready for real playoff minutes, though I would be fine with them throwing him into the fire on some level. Any of the the 3 B’s could swing a playoff game for us. Even with Hardy and Green’s emergence we could use another seasoned secondary playmaker that isn’t afraid of the moment.

Bev can also be an irritant and pest on defense for 10 minutes a night. Pressure the point bringing the ball up full court. Down year, but there is still value in what he brings. He’s also the most likely get imo.
Like Reply
I listened to more podcasts this week than ever before (still combing through some) but missed McMahon's Reggie Jackson/Wood reference, somehow. Those who heard it, did it seem like pure speculation based on his read of their valuation of Wood, or was there some sense that he knew of their interest in Jackson, specifically?
Like Reply
Cory Joseph is having a really bad season. But looking at the last two years I would probably take him over Beverley. Beverley´s defense is mostly about his reputation these days.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 01:00 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Cory Joseph is having a really bad season. But looking at the last two years I would probably take him over Beverley. Beverley´s defense is mostly about his reputation these days.

Counterpoint: a little "reputation" and swagger can go a long way in the NBA, especially in short, very specific circumstances. 

I actually think Beverley's addition to Minnesota last year and removal from them this year has a more than a little to do with how opposite those seasons have been, progress wise (obviously the stupid Gobert trade was a bigger factor, don't get me wrong).

It's a little oversimplified, but Barkley taught us about the need for "a bad ass, crazy dude" all the way back in '11 when discussing Stevenson. I'm not trying to draw parallels between that team and this one or suggest that Beverly has any chance of making that type of impact here, but I can see benefit in having an ultra confident, annoying to the other team veteran around as the 9th man down the stretch of this one season, I really can.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I think it is a BAD omen for those hoping for a FA signing...
NBA.com is reporting that Silva signed another 10 day with the Mavs today
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 01:07 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I think it is a BAD omen for those hoping for a FA signing...

Yeah, that's not great.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 01:07 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: I think it is a BAD omen for those hoping for a FA signing...

I don't think it's a bad omen per say. All the guys we've been discussing haven't even gotten bought out yet. Is it that crazy to keep a defensive wing on the roster in the meantime for another week and a bit to see who actually gets bought out?

What'd be worse in my mind is if the Mavs let Silva go, no one of use really gets bought out, and the Mavs lost Silva for nothing. 

(*Not like Silva is anyone to lose sleep over, but he is a bigger wing that can guard guys. That's exactly what we're desperately searching for).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 01:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:  Is it that crazy to keep a defensive wing on the roster in the meantime for another week and a bit to see who actually gets bought out?

What'd be worse in my mind is if the Mavs let Silva go, no one of use really gets bought out, and the Mavs lost Silva for nothing. 

(*Not like Silva is anyone to lose sleep over, but he is a bigger wing that can guard guys. That's exactly what we're desperately searching for).

It is only crazy IF you are adverse to paying the TAX to the point that filling that last roster spot for the rest of the season becomes a sacrifice that has to be made...
I agree in principle IF we are committed to paying the TAX required to put a contender on the floor around Luka. My confidence is still a bit challenged regarding how much mark truly is willing to spend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 01:39 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: It is only crazy IF you are adverse to paying the TAX to the point that filling that last roster spot for the rest of the season becomes a sacrifice that has to be made...
I agree in principle IF we are committed to paying the TAX required to put a contender on the floor around Luka. My confidence is still a bit challenged regarding how much mark truly is willing to spend.

I agree. I don't think he offers another 10-day if he knows he's planning to sign a buyout. Just seems like throwing money away.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 01:18 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't think it's a bad omen per say. All the guys we've been discussing haven't even gotten bought out yet. Is it that crazy to keep a defensive wing on the roster in the meantime for another week and a bit to see who actually gets bought out?

I'm not sure he can do anything, given that he didn't get minutes in his first 10-day when we played the hell out of the other scrubs (Pinson, Wright, Lawson).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
The team doesn't need only defense.  Its not like they will find a 4 to defend KD Lebron and Kawhi.  Hopefully Wood will be back in starting lineup and that leaves a bench of Bullock, THJ, Hardy  and Powell or Maxi.  An all around player like Barton would be a perfect fit.
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 01:55 PM)haveitall Wrote: Hopefully Wood will be back in starting lineup

I guess it's too early to tell for sure, but I'd temper your hopes on that one. 

I can't remember who said it first, @"mvossman" or @"DanSchwartzgan", but it seems clear that LUKA will be the defensive 4 a LOT for the rest of this season, and the pairings they probably have in mind at the 4/5 are Luka/Powell, Luka/Kleber and Kleber/Wood. 

I don't think he starts another game, and think any chance of him ever closing one ends when Kleber comes back. Could be wrong.
Like Reply
I wouldn't read much into it.   Maybe they don't sign anyone.  But it can't be hard to get rid of a 10 day contract player if someone you like becomes available, right?
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 02:01 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I wouldn't read much into it.   Maybe they don't sign anyone.  But it can't be hard to get rid of a 10 day contract player if someone you like becomes available, right?

No, not hard, but I just don't think they're making these decisions that will cost millions in tax money lightly.
Like Reply
Sounds like we can eliminate backup guard from the wishlist

https://twitter.com/grantafseth/status/1...25991?s=61&t=yU-AATVs4mM5NRXBh7bUVA
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
That's pretty matter of fact...

I don't know if Josh is ready to be a 40mpg kind of guy with 3rd ball handler duties in the playoffs, but it shows the kind of confidence they have in him.

So I assume the Mavs are looking for a wing/center then.

Nerlens, Green, Ross, Burks it is!
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 02:29 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Sounds like we can eliminate backup guard from the wishlist

I've never been a big fan of "we love our boys in blue," but I'm a huge fan of "we love our Josh Green."
[-] The following 4 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1624127527265652736?s=20&t=G54y0HF35VICVK9yWMqhZA
Like Reply
(02-10-2023, 02:29 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Sounds like we can eliminate backup guard from the wishlist

I can't even focus on what Harrison is saying. Too distracted by how ridiculous Tim Cato looks.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Jmaciscool, MFFL
Like Reply