Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyout Market 2023: Nerlens 10-day to Nets | Dragic to MIL
(02-21-2023, 02:42 PM)omahen Wrote: Barton is more intriguing than Morris and Hampton is more intriguing than FN. Hampton is Dallas native, if I remember correctly, wanted to be in Dallas. I would definitely pull a trigger on him

I'd push back on Barton being more intriguing than Morris solely because Barton's efficiency makes THJ look like Steve Nash. 

Regarding Hampton, rookies are rarely, if ever, waived on their rookie deal. The fact the developing Magic felt comfortable enough to waive the dude only in his 3rd year should say something. 

But I agree, Hampton on paper is worth a flier over Frank solely from a prospect perspective. But is it better from a winning perspective? Frank sucks, but Hampton was just waived by a team that isn't even trying to win. If he could play defense to the level of Frank I'd be more interested, but I can't see the Mavs investing in that route.

Especially because they'd have to eat the cost of Frank+Min contract that comes with additional lux tax payments. It basically works out to a 4 mil tryout for 2 months of Hampton. Is that worth it?

Quick edit and a caveat, Hampton is 2-way eligible. I'd be 100% for waiving Lawson and getting Hampton here if he's on a 2-way.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
The Magic already decided pre-deadline to not make Hampton a RFA, so it was obvious he was going to leave in the summer. I speculated a few weeks ago that it might make sense to buy him out right away. Just like Bitadze it makes sense for the Mavs to pick him up, but just as usual they won´t. They are dumb that way. Just look for another spectacular future signing with upside in the summer like Burke, Boban or McGee. This dumb franchise is starving for talent, but refuses to try out as many as they can get their hands on.
Like Reply
The Wizards have waived Will Barton, and will convert two-way player Jordan Goodwin to a standard NBA contract. and the Bulls are waiving Malcolm Hill and signing former Pacer forward Terry Taylor to a two-way deal. Orlando waived guard R.J. Hampton.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/16281...42592?s=20
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1628164809278787584
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Am I wrong to think Barton is in the same level as Ross who we strongly wanted?
Like Reply
(02-21-2023, 06:01 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1628164809278787584

Why is Whiteside not on a roster? Could he not help us at the 5?
Like Reply
(02-22-2023, 10:17 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Why is Whiteside not on a roster? Could he not help us at the 5?

Maybe.  Although he appears to be a guy who is not well liked and not someone who loves the game.   Also it is probably doubtful if he is tip top shape after not playing all year.

Looking back, a minimum offer to him or several others would have been a better alternative than McGee at 3 years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-22-2023, 10:17 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Why is Whiteside not on a roster? Could he not help us at the 5?

His defensive effort is possibly even worse than McGee's. He's been out of the league for a reason.

The real center I'm wondering why we didn't take a look at was Demarcus Cousins. Dude was/is a bucket.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply
(02-22-2023, 10:48 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Maybe.  Although he appears to be a guy who is not well liked and not someone who loves the game.   Also it is probably doubtful if he is tip top shape after not playing all year.

Looking back, a minimum offer to him or several others would have been a better alternative than McGee at 3 years.

There are a number of alternatives that would have been better than McGee, but I digress.
Like Reply
(02-22-2023, 11:27 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: There are a number of alternatives that would have been better than McGee, but I digress.

The sad news is there are not many UFA C's this summer that will improve the Mavs need for a starting C.  Unless we can trade for one.
Like Reply
(02-22-2023, 01:09 PM)chaparral Wrote: The sad news is there are not many UFA C's this summer that will improve the Mavs need for a starting C.  Unless we can trade for one.

We very well may be looking for someone to fill the hole McGee was suppose to fill.   Unless a higher tier center became available via the trade market.  Most of these guys are younger and cheaper.   Nick Richards, Jaxon Hayes, Mo Bamba, Naz Reid (will probably be above our salary range).  I am interesting to see how Nick Richards looks when we play Charlotte.  He looks like the low cost gamble of a guy who does some of the things Powell does.  But he is younger and bigger.   

The key is for the Mavs to find a big wing.   If Wood is not here next year, it would be great to find a big wing who could pair with Maxi (or the equivalent) as we play 5 out in winning time.   

For instance is Maxi, Powell, Nick Richards, and PJ Washington enough for the front court?  It feels one short, but maybe it is a stop gap solution where we could win while looking for that last part.
Like Reply
I wouldn't want anything to do with Barton tunnel vision and low basketball IQ in general, terrible shot selection..(Jokic gave him that contract) he used to be a good shooter, athletic and decent defender but since he hurt his hip a It's been getting worse and I guess it's getting worse..Stanley Johnson(Harkless can still play??) or what about R.Woodard? He's out of the league and he was an archetype that I liked 6'7/(6'8) 230lbs strong and aggressive..would give him a roster spot and cut Morris in a heartbeat
Like Reply
(02-22-2023, 01:27 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: We very well may be looking for someone to fill the hole McGee was suppose to fill.   Unless a higher tier center became available via the trade market.  Most of these guys are younger and cheaper.   Nick Richards, Jaxon Hayes, Mo Bamba, Naz Reid (will probably be above our salary range).  I am interesting to see how Nick Richards looks when we play Charlotte.  He looks like the low cost gamble of a guy who does some of the things Powell does.  But he is younger and bigger.   

The key is for the Mavs to find a big wing.   If Wood is not here next year, it would be great to find a big wing who could pair with Maxi (or the equivalent) as we play 5 out in winning time.   

For instance is Maxi, Powell, Nick Richards, and PJ Washington enough for the front court?  It feels one short, but maybe it is a stop gap solution where we could win while looking for that last part.

Tell me more on how we could possibly get 2 RFA23 from CHA in Richardson and PJW.
Like Reply
Dumpster diving.  Can we make a caveat that all available players at this point are trash and we're trying to find someone who is going to turn it around?  These replies about this player having problems or that player having problems is akin to saying water is wet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(02-22-2023, 06:27 PM)chaparral Wrote: Tell me more on how we could possibly get 2 RFA23 from CHA in Richardson and PJW.

Well, I didn't realize Richards was a RFA, so that was a mistake on my end.   Both players were meant as general examples though and not hard targets.  For Richards, they may match a tax MLE but he is a backup where they have other young guys and it wouldn't surprise me if they let him go.  Charlotte has not been one of the smartest franchises.

Washington will be trickier.  It will obviously cost a future first and you will need to hope that outweighs Charlotte just bringing him back.  That may not be in the cards, but regardless a bigger wing who can also survive as a small ball 5 is very high on my wishlist.   Some may say Maxi is perfect for this.  He may be for stretches but I am an envisioning an eventual replacement for Maxi in time....with higher skillsets.
Like Reply
So Noel was never waived? Surprising.

The Mavs not targeting a big in buyout suggests that they hope that McGee continues to play well - or that Wood might get more time than expected.
Like Reply
(02-23-2023, 12:22 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: So Noel was never waived? Surprising.

The Mavs not targeting a big in buyout suggests that they hope that McGee continues to play well - or that Wood might get more time than expected.

Huh Huh
Like Reply
(02-23-2023, 02:15 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Huh Huh

He's given us productive minutes since the Kyrie trade - unlike the rest of his time here.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/16303...08544?s=20
Like Reply